PDA

View Full Version : My disc drive is reallly noisy....am i dying?

Turbo VDuB 44
09-05-2007, 06:33 PM
So i've searched and searched for the better part of an hour trying to find a topic about this but came up with none. Close me or move me if needed but i'm having a problem.

I have had my xbox since the end of november 06 and have had nothing wrong at all. The last 3-4 weeks my disc drive is being VERY loud when reading discs. I don't have problems with freezing or any lights going off but the disc drive practically screams at me when i'm playing a game. It comes and goes but is usually there. When the drive speeds up when i'm booting a game you can hear the noise slowly increase and then stay at a steady high pitched wail for the remainder of my gaming session.

Anyone else had this problem (i'm assuming some have) and what should i do? I don't want it to die with only a few more weeks of the GSL left to go!!!

codedigital
09-05-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm sure YOU'RE not dying...but it sounds like your drive is.

That's what happened to my drive before it died.

illmatic630
09-05-2007, 06:39 PM
my cuzin is having the same problem....so i think it is

Turbo VDuB 44
09-05-2007, 06:41 PM
what should i do? i saw bluntman's post about the people who fix xbox's cheaper and more efficiently than m$. Should i wait til it dies completely or send it off now?

codedigital
09-05-2007, 06:55 PM
what should i do? i saw bluntman's post about the people who fix xbox's cheaper and more efficiently than m$. Should i wait til it dies completely or send it off now?

If it's under warranty send it off now...otherwise wait till it bombs and send it somewhere then.

I've been so lost I must confess
I've had my share of loneliness
But yeah it's hard to keep a good man down
The loves you lost were all in vain
The past lives on inside your brain
I don't think you need those memories
Hangin' 'round, yeah

Good-bye
Kiss your past good-bye
You've gotta let it fly
Kiss your past good-bye, yeah

teh x3nomorph
09-05-2007, 09:27 PM
That is what happened to my premium. It is covered under warranty, just FYI.

I couldn't wait, so I went and purchased a new 360, and when I get my other one back, Im just gunna sell it.

Sorry to hear that yours is gunna go soon. <3.

Turbo VDuB 44
09-05-2007, 09:32 PM
so what exactly does the warranty cover? i didn't buy anything extra because i bought it from walmart 10ish months ago...i just need it to last 4 more weeks for the GSL.....

teh x3nomorph
09-05-2007, 09:44 PM
so what exactly does the warranty cover? i didn't buy anything extra because i bought it from walmart 10ish months ago...i just need it to last 4 more weeks for the GSL..... I didn't purchase anything extra as far as a warranty goes either for my 360, which Ive only had for 8 months.

When I called 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and spoke with the guy, he told be to do a bunch of retarded diagnostics on the machine. (My disc drive completely broke. I was playing a game before dinner just fine, come back from dinner to fire it up again, and it says unplayable disc on ALL my 360 games, any DVD, and any CD) He said that it was a hardware malfunction and that it was covered by the warranty and that it would be fixed for free.

Now mind you, I could still navigate the dashboard just fine, play my arcade games and watch downloaded movies no problem. I didn't get the RROD.

If when you call they say its not covered, wait a day, and call back and say you got the RROD, because that is covered for 3 years from date of purchase on ALL machines. I doubt 2 more months makes a difference tho as far as the warranty is concerned.

If I get mine back and yours dies, Id sell you my other one. *shrugs*

Anti HERO 574
09-05-2007, 09:56 PM
your games are probably gonna stop working

saying disc unreadable and please insert xbox 360 game into console..

Turbo VDuB 44
09-06-2007, 12:43 AM
It used to do that but hasnt in awhile...it did it with DiRT the first 3 times i played it way back...then it did it once on one other game...has been fine for a month or so....

Jdm
09-06-2007, 03:28 AM
I'm sure that your drive is going to die. My last drive did the exact same thing, but my console fried before the drive did. I still remember loading Madden 07 in there and it was extremely loud. It would whine up while loading and make another loud noise while it finished.

This is a funny way to explain it, but I'm sure you can relate V Dub. Imagine a turbo in a car spooling. That's how my drive sounded.

Turbo VDuB 44
09-06-2007, 03:48 AM
lol i have a turbo in my car as well so i completely agree...it sounds like that only....more electronic....and no blow-off valve haha

it isn't making the sound now and hasn't for the last 3 hours of playing madden....hopefully it'll last a little while longer......

Honkymagoo
09-07-2007, 08:48 AM
your games are probably gonna stop working

saying disc unreadable and please insert xbox 360 game into console..

Oh god that happens to me, I can usually play but once in awhile I get that shit. Shadowrun gives me disk unreadable like it's my job. Oh and if my drive does fail and I towel trick the xbox when it doesn't have RLoD will the excessive overheating cause RLoD to occur so I can get it fixed for free?