PDA

View Full Version : I want some opinions on something

Kieran69
07-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Okay, so I was thinking to myself earlier today and thinking about how I see a hard achievement and I'll go to the conclusion "That's impossible, I'll never get it" but I put some thought into it and I think that ANYONE can get ANY achievement. I don't think there is any achievement that is literally unattainable for anyone (Unless of course it's an online game and servers got shut down or reasons like that). I think that there is definitely very difficult achievements, but if anyone puts the effort and time to keep on trying I think anyone could attain anything. What do you guys think?

dwayne_hicks
07-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Well yeah, they aren't unachievablements.

ExtremeRugburn
07-19-2012, 07:46 PM
I agree. The only way I wouldnt would be if their was an achievment out there that no one has ever unlocked anywhere, which their isnt. I myself am still working on CoD4's "No Fighting in the Warroom" and "Mile High". Someday I will get these achievments, someday...

Kieran69
07-19-2012, 07:50 PM
I agree. The only way I wouldnt would be if their was an achievment out there that no one has ever unlocked anywhere, which their isnt. I myself am still working on CoD4's "No Fighting in the Warroom" and "Mile High". Someday I will get these achievments, someday...

Haha yeah, it mostly struck me because of everyone complaining about "Seriously 3.0" in Gears 3. It's definitely time consuming, but nowhere near impossible.

Mister Buds
07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
i've always thought the same thing. i may not be the best gamer out there, it may take me more attempts, but i have the determination to get it, and i will.

Kieran69
07-19-2012, 07:54 PM
i've always thought the same thing. i may not be the best gamer out there, it may take me more attempts, but i have the determination to get it, and i will.

Exactly! The majority of my games aren't 100% but I honestly plan on going back eventually, even if it's years later and getting at least 50% of them fully completed.

ChickinOnaChain
07-19-2012, 08:02 PM
I don't have a lot of patience with games or many skills either, so I leave a lot of achievements. Games like Trials HD and Evolution...I tried some of those hard ones and gave up.

Does it bother me? Not at all. If I start yelling at the TV, I play another game. I like to have fun playing and yelling at the TV isn't.

HugTheBear
07-19-2012, 08:04 PM
I think there are a ton of achievements I wouldn't be able to get. For example, the Mega Man achievement where you have make it through the whole game without getting hit once.

Spanish Assault
07-19-2012, 08:06 PM
I don't have a lot of patience with games or many skills either, so I leave a lot of achievements. Games like Trials HD and Evolution...I tried some of those hard ones and gave up.

Does it bother me? Not at all. If I start yelling at the TV, I play another game. I like to have fun playing and yelling at the TV isn't.
my thoughts to the letter. I game for fun, not frustration.

hydrosugar
07-19-2012, 08:07 PM
I usually only think that with online achievements or extreme collectible ones. Otherwise by default my mind is working towards "100% SP completion." I don't pay much mind to the difficulty of the SP achievements, I get them eventually.

ChickinOnaChain
07-19-2012, 08:13 PM
I game for fun, not frustration.
Funny I was going say that, since I have MANY times but I didn't want to repeat myself! :)

napoearth
07-19-2012, 08:19 PM
I am pretty sure that there are some people (me) that will never have the skill to 5 star every song on Guitar Hero III.

Kieran69
07-19-2012, 08:22 PM
I am pretty sure that there are some people (me) that will never have the skill to 5 star every song on Guitar Hero III.

So you think if you had the dedication to play just Guitar hero every day for a long time you wouldn't get good enough to do that?

cjdavies
07-19-2012, 08:23 PM
There is but I don't want to spend hours/days getting that 1 achievement.

Kieran69
07-19-2012, 08:27 PM
There is but I don't want to spend hours/days getting that 1 achievement.

I'm not saying that you're going to get it, or saying you have to or anything like that. I'm just saying that if you wanted to it WOULD be possible, right?

Spanish Assault
07-19-2012, 08:34 PM
So you think if you had the dedication to play just Guitar hero every day for a long time you wouldn't get good enough to do that?
not me....I have been playing Rock Band since it came out and still some songs blow my mind. My fingers just shut down or cramp up on me.

fastNcurious
07-19-2012, 09:49 PM
not me....I have been playing Rock Band since it came out and still some songs blow my mind. My fingers just shut down or cramp up on me.

Yeah, I think it's important to know your limitations. I would never do well on music games cuz I would get bored trying to time myself to what I see on the screen. Another limit of mine is racing games. I can't feel the weight of the car so I can't judge well enough what speed I should be at to make the most efficient turns, hence I don't bother with racing game achievements.

It's true that most achievements are attainable, but it just depends on your own limits and your patience/willingness to devote time to it.

nevermindaboutme
07-19-2012, 11:23 PM

Nah basically tried doing that. Like above, your hand and fingers just cramp. Plus, I still struggle sometimes on Medium =/

Iceskater101
07-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Well achievements are called achievements because they can be achieved. I mean I do say sometimes that I can't get an achievement, but it all comes down to whether I want to attempt that achievement. For example the Max Payne 3 New York Minute Hardcore. I mean it is definitely a very challenging achievement. I often tell myself this achievement is impossible, but it all comes down to whether I want to attempt the achievement or not. I bet if I tried to attempt it a few times then I would get it.

mrj3d
07-19-2012, 11:51 PM
Most of the time for me it's gotta come down to how much of my life I want to dedicate to something. I try to get every achievement I can, I love getting 100%. But if an achievement is gonna make me want to throw things, or take me 500 hours (altho I'm not afraid of grinding achievements as a whole), then usually I just cut my losses and move on. Between three kids I don't get a lot of time for gaming, so I use my time wisely.

THE DEADLY DOG
07-20-2012, 12:33 AM
I see impossible as server or glitch relate achievements only. Anything else requires time skill and so luck.

HabsCen10ial
07-20-2012, 12:59 AM
Anybody can achieve any achievement if they are willing to put the time and practice into getting it.

With sites like Youtube where you can actually watch it being done there is no excuse for thinking it's impossible.

sleepydumbdude
07-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Might be unattainable for those with a disability. I don't. I'm just too lazy to grind and have angry issues so don't go for frustrating achievements.

VladimirK
07-20-2012, 02:34 AM
If I start yelling at the TV, I play another game. I like to have fun playing and yelling at the TV isn't.

Heh, I actually like when that happens because I know that when I force myself through and get it done that I'll feel great knowing that I couldn't do something to the point of getting me angry but then through my own determination and will I got it.
Of course though, it's completely subjective, I love it, even on say WaW veteran for as much as I bitch about it, it's a good feeling when you beat it and you can laugh and say to yourself, "Ha! You couldn't beat me!" Whereas you, as you said, aren't a fan.

OT:
OP has way too much optimism for my liking. :p

I don't entirely agree, I think some people just can't do some stuff.
Don't misinterpret what I'm saying though, it's definitely not simply a case of, 'they suck', I think it's more about how their brain works or that say their reaction times aren't good enough and no matter how much they practice, they will reach a level that they can't go beyond.

I would however say that the majority of people can do far better than they think perhaps but I stick to saying that whilst they might think they can never do X, if they practice enough they will be able to do X but they'll never be able to do Y no matter how much they put in.

I think Trials HD is a brilliant example of this, I don't think it's unfair to say that when everybody starts that, they probably aren't great but over time you get better and better at it.
Hell, I know when I started I was really quite bad at it but now I've got at least a gold medal in every track through practice but I know that realistically I won't get a platinum on every track for example.

Also, the point about knowing your limitations is a good one imo, not just for games but in general.
I think tbh if you don't then unless you're the most optimistic and cheery motherfucker on the planet then you're setting yourself up for disappointment and possibly a load of shit.
It's not really even entirely your fault, it's drummed into you in many cases from early on that you can do anything when honestly you can't so then when you wear your blinkers and believe this shit then something big comes and kicks you in the teeth and stops you from being an astronaut or a doctor or some shit it'll hit you way harder than if you're grounded in reality and you accept that you're not special and you do have limits rather than being some deluded son-of-a-bitch that thinks they're suddenly gonna make it big from shit like Britain's Got Talent or Big Brother.

Tsaako
07-20-2012, 02:50 AM
Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. :)

VladimirK
07-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Anything is possible if you put your mind to it. :)

Brb, putting my mind to breathing underwater without equipment. ;)

FFFreak1129
07-20-2012, 03:06 AM
Yeah I think so. People's skills are different so something might be hard for you which might be easy for someone else in one game, and it could be reversed in a different game. As long as you keep trying your skills should improve and you will be able to get those tough achievements one day.

R34L91
07-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Really interesting thoughts and feelings and I agree with all of you guys. I believe in the power of will, it sounds very cheesy but its true. If you really want something you can do it, of course its not always going to be easy.

Actually sometimes I put more dedication and time into getting an achievement in a game than I do in real life :D

MasterLemon
07-20-2012, 03:26 AM
I don't know. There are some really hard achievements out there that I myself can't do. Like finish a COD game on veteran. You have to no life it to get some of these achievements, like on Limbo. I have one last achievement, No Point in Dying, I have tried to get this. But it is way to hard and only 10g. Some people can, others can't.

Latony99
07-20-2012, 05:29 AM
Anyone can get a hard achievement as long as they put their mind to it. Only achievements I can think that no one can get is those ones for going to the Xbox 360 Launch Event/Participating in Xbox beta's since the chance to get those have passed. :p

DragonsGoMOO
07-20-2012, 05:44 AM
My willpower dies after a while, especially when school and my jobs are being demanding, as well as my girlfriend, and family stuff too.

purpleinsect
07-20-2012, 05:56 AM
Of course anyone can get anything :) But usually when there is a really hard achievement, it means I still also got left an achievement for playing through the game on the hardest difficulty (which you unlock after beating the game). And there are rare games where I could be bothered to play through it again. So ergo, I don't focus on the hard achievement either :)

DecadentBeaver
07-20-2012, 10:35 AM
There are certainly some games I will unlikely get some achievements, Trials HD + Evolution. Hey Chickin, SNAP! But honestly, them are the achievements I would like to get.

Gears 1 +2, I never thought I'd see me getting the Insane achievements for either game, yet I managed them. Killing RAAM was a nightmare, even in co op as he was solid.

Another was Too Human. Completing the 2nd and 3rd level without dying was an absolute nightmare as well. 20 attempts for World Serpent, but one of my more satisfying achievements, and I even got 1000g on that game. Some nasty achievements on that.

So, in my opinion, no achievement is is impossible unless its glitched/server closure. All you need, is patience and practice, through in some skill and a pinch of luck and you can unlock any that you want too. But I won't put myself through anything stressful or rage inducing. Gears sent me over the edge haha.

xVivaLaGrant
07-20-2012, 12:38 PM
I agree 100% No achievement is not obtainable unless servers and shut down etc...
How I think is if I want the achievement badly, I will keep working on it.

Practise makes perfect ;)

xXxDave69prxXx
07-20-2012, 01:23 PM
ohhhh another Boricua niceeee,yeahh i think that too i play for fun if i can get all the Achieve Cool but if not well Cool too because i have fun with the Game!!!

Akuza
07-20-2012, 01:48 PM
There are achievements that unobtainable .. Sheerly because the servers are shut.

But apart from that yes all achievements can be obtained.

It just takes practice and time!

rikib004
07-20-2012, 02:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Dwvs6Vi-XWI

This really helped me on MHC. No Fighting in the War Room I didn't struggle with so the only advice I can offer is to go fast as the checkpoints are time specific

niko da bos
07-20-2012, 03:52 PM

quoted for truth

as far as achievements go, i only hunt them if i really enjoy playing the game. even then i will eventually give up if its causing too much frustration *caugh* mile high club.

there are some achievements that are, in my eyes, impossible or unobtainable for me. for example i tried out playing the first gears of war game, and didnt enjoy it whatsoever. so i have no desire to go back and playing past the second mission + MP achievements, its just not happening.

the only game im really proud of is 100% on halo3, since i've probably spent a total of 500+ hours on that game since 07 when i was in high school. after i joined this site that was my one major goal i set out for, thanks to xboxa i got my first 100% (1750/1750).

maybe its time for me to dust off COD4 and finally go for that pesky achv again, but if i shoot the VIP in the head again i swear i will cry :(

Spanish Assault
07-20-2012, 06:51 PM
quoted for truth

as far as achievements go, i only hunt them if i really enjoy playing the game. even then i will eventually give up if its causing too much frustration *caugh* mile high club.

there are some achievements that are, in my eyes, impossible or unobtainable for me. for example i tried out playing the first gears of war game, and didnt enjoy it whatsoever. so i have no desire to go back and playing past the second mission + MP achievements, its just not happening.

the only game im really proud of is 100% on halo3, since i've probably spent a total of 500+ hours on that game since 07 when i was in high school. after i joined this site that was my one major goal i set out for, thanks to xboxa i got my first 100% (1750/1750).

maybe its time for me to dust off COD4 and finally go for that pesky achv again, but if i shoot the VIP in the head again i swear i will cry :(
funny you mention COD4. I gave up on that game and put it down for 6 months (was stuck at no fighting in the warroom). Then started one day and finsihed the campaign and Mile high...so dont give up!

Skilled
07-21-2012, 02:12 AM
I loved that level "no fighting in the war room" some intense action there.

darylhawk007
07-21-2012, 02:16 AM
multiplayer achievements are tough if you can't find enough people and you need say.. 8 people for one match. this makes games like Call of Duty 3 tough to play online.

KnucklesV6
07-21-2012, 06:17 PM
If you put your mind to it you can technically unlock anything as long as it is possible. I thought I would never 100% DMC4 but I did.

Arrival12345
07-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Like you said unless the game gets shut down or the online, every achievement can be obtainable. But most of the time or somtimes depending on who you are wont bother trying more then a couple times or even at first glance to get some achievements.

CHIRUNO99
07-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Nothing is impossible, except constructing a football stadium underwater.

Death Metal Jim
07-24-2012, 08:52 PM
Okay, so I was thinking to myself earlier today and thinking about how I see a hard achievement and I'll go to the conclusion "That's impossible, I'll never get it" but I put some thought into it and I think that ANYONE can get ANY achievement. I don't think there is any achievement that is literally unattainable for anyone (Unless of course it's an online game and servers got shut down or reasons like that). I think that there is definitely very difficult achievements, but if anyone puts the effort and time to keep on trying I think anyone could attain anything. What do you guys think?

Uh huh. Go 1000 Lost Planet 2 and then get back to me with this optimism.

Schdawn
07-26-2012, 08:00 AM
It really depends on the game.
If I like a particular game very much, I'll put an effort to get that achievement.
but if it's some game I bought on a whim, I'd just forget it.

Skilled
07-26-2012, 09:24 AM
I agree 100% No achievement is not obtainable unless servers and shut down etc...
How I think is if I want the achievement badly, I will keep working on it.

Practise makes perfect ;)

I plan to complete GH3 on hard with the controller if it kills me! I do go for it occasionally..

Kangaroo Swagg
07-26-2012, 09:35 AM
After getting Aperture Science, I think everything else should be a smooth ride for me.

Felonious Monk
07-26-2012, 03:40 PM

This is the point where I'd rather build something to do it for me.

Fire Hawk D
07-26-2012, 05:16 PM
I used to be a bit more down on myself about "hard" achievements and how I'll never get them. But, I'm starting to realize my skill seems to be higher than average compared to other achievement hunters. Achievements I hear about that are "hard" or "tough" end up being minor annoyances at best. So, I've learned to never completely write-off a game.

Spade.
07-26-2012, 09:04 PM
On the Guitar Hero 3 topic, before I even had xbl, I played that all day. I started on hard, then went on to finish expert. I would destroy most songs on expert (not necessarily fc or 100%, but I'd do better than the average person). years later I got me a gh 360 controller, and gh3 and a few others. I read the achievements for gh3 and was absolutely blown away. I have about 200-300 on that game and not going for the full 1000. I believe there is one person on the leaderboards on this site with 1000 on gh3, and that guy must have put up with A LOT of grinding. Kudos to you and all, but I think I'm fine.