NCAA 13: Desmond Howard achievement easier way

kiskit

I just got theDesmond Howard Heisman acheivement without playing a down. This was how I did it:

I already had UMASS saved as a decent team from getting the achievement for UMASS or one of those new D-1 Texas teams winning the NCAA season championship, so I tweaked the roster a bit in trying to get the Desmond Howard cheevo.

For the Starting Defense I kept all my defensive starters and depth chart on Defense at level 99 across the board so that my team could easily win against the big schools (University of Michigan was on the schedule in week 3). Plus having the better Defense will theoretically give your Howard sim more opportunities to get back on offense. I also left my K & P at 99 but thats not as important.

For my offense starters I used

--QB: a level 99 Pocket QB

--HB: Power back with crappy receiving skills (like 40-50)

--FB: Blocking back with crappy receiving skills. I bumped his Pass blocking to 99

--WR: I had one wideout with a level 82 overall level (possession Receiver)

Other WR all the rest of my WR were between levels 62-73 (73, 56, 65, 62). The level 85 receiver had level 73 catching skills. the rest had catching skills between 49-69)

--TE: I had one level 99 TE & one level 89 TE. Both were blocking TE with receiving skills of about 60)

O-linemen: i had all my OL at the high 90's (96-99 level overall).

On all backs, Ends & OL I bumped the Pass blocking skills & awareness to 99. Did not change therir default run blocking or impact blocking skills)

I am not sure if this change helped or not but I changed the default offense to Air Raid. When I picked UMASS it still showed it on the screen when picking Howard's school as Spread offense but still it couldn't hurt to change this setting just to be safe.

Once I got these preliminaries set up I then had Howard choose UMASS as his school. Changed to freshman settings & all this in case I did have to play in the game.

UMASS is a new MAC school. The MAC isn't a power conference so most of the games will be against average competition most weeks. The out of conference schedult includes these 3 games in the first 3 weeks: UCONN, Indiana University (my alma matre LOL), and University of Michigan. With your level 99 Defense and QB & Howard etc, these should all be wins for you. In fact I easily finished the season undefeated.

Basically all I did at this point was sim each week & if my stats were halfway good or good I kept the save. I had 2 TD's in the first week to go with about 170 reciving yards. Then I really lucked out in week 2 against IU; my receiving stats were so-so but I got the Punt return for a TD so I definitely saved that one! Don't be too discouraged if you aren't moing up the Heisman list yet. There was one week at mid-season where I had gone from level 3 to 4 on Heisman list. I almost rebooted my previous ave but decided to sim another week. I moved to number 2. After the 2nd week tho, you will likely still be in 5th place, possibly 4th. At week 8 if you aren't halfway thru the total TD's you need or about halfway to total yards you might want to have more than 1 save going in case you need to start this sim over. I only used 2 save slots & got it done much faster than expected.

Somewhere during the MAC schedult I did get a 3TD game so I definitely saved it despite not having a huge amount of yards. If you are at or near 95-100 yds a game you are doing well. Just make sure your Total TD's are there too. I had to reboot one save where I had mediocre week & some Heisman candidate QB had like 6 TD's. He only had 4 TD's when I redid that week & my stats were slightly better.

In week 12 I did surpass all of Desmond Howard's stats from his Heisman year PlusI was still in 1st place. That's when i made my 2nd save because some of the Heisman hopefuls were also having really good years. I knew it would be close but didnt realize how close. Once I surpassed Howard's Heisman stats I then supersimmed to the conference final & past that game, too without worrying about my stats, I figured if I didnt win i would just reboot from week 12 where I was in first place & try again. Or worst case actually try to play with the wonky camera angle for receivers. I really didnt think I could improve on it even with doing the slant route trick.

Having simmed through the entire season, here are Howard's stats for the end of the season: 81 Receptions, 1586 Yds, 6 carries, 32 yds. 21 Total TD (20 Receiving TD + the 1 Punt Return TD).

Here is how close the actual final tally was on the Heisman voting:

Player Position/School: 1st 2nd 3rd Total votes

Howard WR/UMASS: 337 268 138 1685

HB/Georgia: 298 289 149 1621

QB/Kansas State: 91 125 282 805

HB/South Carolina: 54 88 194 532

QB/Washington: 3 5 16 35

Since the voting was so close even though meeting and surpassing all of Howard's Heisman year stats, definitely save often when trying this method. Still this method only took about half an hour from tweaking the roster to finishing the season. In this regard the achievement was much easier than when I attempted to catch the ball with him with the horrid camera angle. Hope this helps others.

Just set the passing related offensive sliders to 100, the defensive passing sliders to 0 for the CPU. Turn off injuries and fatigue. Set difficulty to Freshman.

Turn down the speed slider(can't remember the name of it but it sets the players relative speed).

With Howards boosted stats and the speed slider set to Zero, he runs past everyone at lighting speed. I got 120+ points with him in one game...I stopped doing punt returns because he would score every time.

Just set the passing related offensive sliders to 100, the defensive passing sliders to 0 for the CPU. Turn off injuries and fatigue. Set difficulty to Freshman.

Turn down the speed slider(can't remember the name of it but it sets the players relative speed).

With Howards boosted stats and the speed slider set to Zero, he runs past everyone at lighting speed. I got 120+ points with him in one game...I stopped doing punt returns because he would score every time.

Didn't work for me cuz I couldn't handle the weird camera angle. And yes i had already use all those settings u mentioned plus turned off auto sprint, etc to put everything in my favor. I just have a hellish time trying to run a route (even a simple slant) & then try &catch the ball as a receiver in these squirelly in game settings that they make you use for the Heisman recreated season.

I put my solution up there mainly for those who are looking to sim thru the Howard Heisman season entirely. The settings you mention are of course great for the QB & RB Heisman cheevos.

I didn't gave any problem with Desmond Howard. The one that scared me was Eddie George. He was so much worse than the other running backs. He was too slow. I would get over 1000 yards a game with the other 3 RBs. I only got about 375 a game with Eddie. When I checked Heisman watch at the end of the season Eddie was actually 2nd but I still one the Heisman somehow. By far the fewest votes I have received out of all of them. Only got about 1200. Everyone else I had gotten over 2000.

I didn't have a problem with Howard either. I had planned on playing two games with him just because that's what I've been doing with everyone.

My first game was against FAU. I tried like hell to get a punt return but couldn't do it. The other game I played was against a FCS team. I got 6 punt returns in that game. Whoohoo! Also, for each game, I got like 10 receiving TD's for something like 700 yards each game. I flew through that Heisman with no problem, even though the camera angles sucked.

Oddly, the most trouble I had was with Doug Flutie. I kept him at Boston College but ended up having to play three games with him. Strange.

I still have two HB's and two QB's to go, but they'll be easy enough if I put them on the right team. I had a monster season with Charlie Ward on FSU, so I may just play my other two QB's on that team. I think I kept Hershel Walker on Georgia and had no problem getting the Heisman, so I may pick that team for my remaining HB's.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This one wasn't a problem. Thus far, I've done Herschel Walker, Barry Sanders, Eddie George & Desmond Howard. None have been even close, with HWalker getting the most votes for me by far. For Desmond, I pretty much simmed every game with USC. I would sometimes take control for the opening kickoff (if you lose the coin-toss, the CPU almost always kicks) and then sim after. Probably 10 out of the 12 games I played I returned it back for a touchdown.

edit -- I'd also like to add that I turned the "Coverage CPU" sliders down to 0 as well as the tackling. This probably helped as well.

Edited by Eggnogga

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...