PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Saving

Mattress_117
07-24-2012, 07:26 PM
Hey all, so my xbox has the open tray problem amongst other problems, overheating etc, I've found one of the new 360's I can buy for cheaper than it would cost to pay for repairs, I don't really want to pay for a transfer cable, the only things I need off of my hard drive is my game saves, as it would take a long long time to re do everything

I was wondering could I copy my game saves from my old Xbox onto Cloud Saves and then move them once I have my new Xbox from Cloud Saves onto the new console?

Currently I have an old Arcade white 360 with a 120gb HD, so simply detaching the hard drive from the broken one and moving it onto the new one wouldn't be possibe as I'm getting one of the new slims.

DJConnelly
07-24-2012, 07:36 PM
I don't see why not. Cloud Saves doesn't use a different system for the new slim. You could use a USB If you wanted to. But it shouldn't be a problem.

DecadentBeaver
07-25-2012, 12:58 AM
Isn't there a limit to storage space on the Cloud system? I'm sure I readgheard there was. Don't quote me on that, I probably imagined it being exhausted due to insomnia. Or the fact I'm a bit dumb haha.

Tsaako
07-25-2012, 12:59 AM
The storage is limit is low for cloud, I think its like 512MB worth of space available.

xxJUSTINxx
07-25-2012, 01:23 AM
I would personally just get a 1-2GB(or bigger) flashdrive and move everything.

Gentle Fury
07-25-2012, 01:25 AM
Yes, you should be able to do it, although there may be issues with some game saves (see mass effect 2). The limit is fairly low at 512mb, but I have almost all my games saved in the cloud and still have room left. For the most part, save files are fairly small. If you think size will be an issue, spend <$10 on a USB drive that can hold much more and transfer just as easily. Hope this helps.

ChickinOnaChain
07-25-2012, 01:38 AM
The trouble moving files on a memory stick vs. buying a transfer cable, are night and day to me. Using a cable is so easy. Just plug it in and forget it. And you may use again. I've used mine a few times.

As for cloud...I was going to use it once but it asked me to start a new game, so I haven't bothered with it since.

Wildmn34
07-25-2012, 01:39 AM
The storage is limit is low for cloud, I think its like 512MB worth of space available.

That is correct. 512 MB is the max for cloud storage.

You other options are.

1 - Flash drive, up to 16 Gb, and move it to that, then to the new xbox.

2- Thansfer cable. Does all the work for you.

Gentle Fury
07-25-2012, 04:11 AM
Hopefully, you've gathered that it shouldn't be an issue. You have many options, from the free cloud to a transfer cable or USB drive for less than $20. All of them relatively painless. You'll be a pro by the time you're done.

EchoPark
07-25-2012, 04:15 AM
Yea i wouldnt recommend cloud saving, its alright if u move about alot but its also a pain in yer rear end. Once u move ur files its got to upload them which even on a no bad connection can for some reason take a while to upload/download. Then ur console will sync to the files every so often which again take a while. USB drives are so cheap now its great, or just get a transfer cable it does all the work and then resell it.

shangri la27
07-25-2012, 08:13 AM
That is correct. 512 MB is the max for cloud storage.

You other options are.

1 - Flash drive, up to 16 Gb, and move it to that, then to the new xbox.

2- Thansfer cable. Does all the work for you.

Ive done xfer cable twice now. worked flawlessly and fast both times. I'd recommend checking gamestop for a used one, or buying one. Unless of course you have a decetn sized thumb drive. spent an entire day copying stuff that way on a small one. not worth saving 10 bucks it costs for an xfer cord (or less if used).

Gen. H
07-25-2012, 01:34 PM
I've used Cloud a few times to transfer save files between my elite & slim and had no problems. It can be a bit slow, and memory may be an issue for you as I guess you'll be looking to move a good chunk of files. I think a flash drive is the best option, I find that to be the faster option, I always used that instead of Cloud when I had the option.

Burnout x360a
07-25-2012, 01:42 PM
I used a couple of 4GB USB sticks, saved buying the cable and was very easy. (Remember that some saves require moving, like Mass Effect for example).

a loz3r
07-26-2012, 10:47 PM
i dont know if it was just me or my connection that day but the first and only day i had cloud saving enabled it disconnected me from xbox live 9 times in one day so i was like this is not worth it, i usually have pretty good connection and almost never disconnect from live, but once ever couple of months it will have a day where it cant seem to stay connected to live. after i disabled cloud i never had that problem again so i assume my excessive diconencting was from the cloud saving