PDA

View Full Version : Fav Games of the Year (So Far)?

Rapture639
07-25-2012, 12:13 AM
With it being about halfway through the year, and just a couple of months from the major avalanche that is all the great AAA games we'll be playing in time for the holidays, I thought it'd be a good chance to talk about some of your favorite games of the year so far. A few of mine include:

Mass Effect 3 - What more can be said about the game that hasn't already been mentioned by the gaming community as a whole. A fantastic game and a great end to one of the best franchises this console generation. While the ending left room to be desired initially, BioWare listened to their fans and worked to bringing out some great DLC additions.

SSX - This reboot was something that the Xbox definitely needed to have to break up the monotony of FPS fatigue. The graphics were amazing and playing through it reminded me of why I loved the original SSX series (Tricky was my favorite). It was always exhilarating to fly off the cliff of a mountain hundreds of feet in the air and performing all these crazy tricks collecting points towards your tricky meter. Also, the soundtrack was amazing with lots of different but catchy tunes playing in the background.

Syndicate - Even though I just mentioned shooter fatigue, I feel that this game did a good enough job of making itself unique and interesting that it wasn't just another generic FPS game to trudge through for the gamerscore. The story/world was pretty interesting and controls were very solid. The co-op was a blast to play through with a group of friends and I wished they had put in more maps as DLC or something.

Asura's Wrath - A decent action game that had some spectacular cutscenes and cool action set pieces. My main complaints though was that the game was way too short (making it a rental at best) and the combat isn't as deep as Bayonetta or DMC's combat system. But the boss fights were interesting and the intense scenes always reminded me of DBZ which was hilarious and awesome at the same time.

Lollipop Chainsaw - Like Asura's Wrath, it's another interesting action game with a weird premise. You play as an 18 year old cheerleader who comes from a family of zombie hunters and you carry the head of your decapitated boyfriend around while you're trying to stop all hell from breaking out on Earth. Needless to say there's alot of humor in this game which can be really entertaining if you aren't offended easily.

I'm missing a couple other ones here like Kingdoms of Amalour and Max Payne 3, but I just wanted to point out some of the great games that entertained me so far and that some people may have overlooked.

What were your guys' favs in 2012 so far?

ChickinOnaChain
07-25-2012, 12:14 AM
Spec Ops the Line.

Mister Buds
07-25-2012, 12:15 AM
i nominate binary domain as sleeper hit of the year.

HugTheBear
07-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Spec Ops: The Line, Lollipop Chainsaw, Minecraft, & Trials Evolution.

Rapture639
07-25-2012, 12:22 AM
Spec Ops the Line?

Were you asking if that was your favorite, or was that question mark just a typo? Either way I've yet to try that one out but I have heard mixed reviews about it. What's it about and what did you like about it?

sleepydumbdude
07-25-2012, 12:33 AM
So far Mass Effect 3 because I liked the multiplayer for about two months.

Wildmn34
07-25-2012, 12:45 AM
When I first saw this question I was all like, ppfftt that's an easy question.

Then, I looked at what I was playing (and have been playing) and based on that I actually don't have a favorite of 2012 so far. Everything I have been playing came out last year. I've played new release 2012 games but nothing has stood out for me that much.

Of those I have played, Sniper Elite V2 probably stands out the most. Syndicate is ok, Spec Ops is ok, Lego Batman is what it is, Ghost Recon as well. Nothing has really blowns me away yet. Not saying any of the above are bad, just not ZOMG good.

LawlCake1214
07-25-2012, 12:48 AM
Even though most people don't really like it.. but I love it.. is Future Soldier. I love that game, its so fun to me. It's like the first time I enjoyed a third person so much.

DecadentBeaver
07-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Well, I'm going for Minecraft, Trials Evolution and Walking Dead. Not bought any new retail releases since Skyrim came out. I don't have much cash, so always trade or look for a bargain. Good job Minecraft is addictive, as I don't have to worry about new games coming in, more like when will I finish my backlog?

As for new games coming out. Only Bioshock Infinite interests me.

xKRAIZEEMANx
07-25-2012, 12:53 AM
So far, this year? The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

I enjoyed the story, the characters, the world, and it had a few unique properties that made it stand out from your standard RPG (Which is my favorite genre of game).

StillTIPPIN187
07-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Max Payne 3 is definitely the best game to come out so far this year.

Rep
07-25-2012, 01:13 AM
SSX - I'm going to agree with you and say that the reboot for Xbox was definitely needed. SSX Tricky was one of my favorite titles on the PS2 as well, so I'm glad this game was such a successful reboot. Never played the multiplayer of the game, but the Single Player never failed to excite me. The soundtrack, gameplay, and graphics were simply amazing.

Spec Ops: The Line - Played the beta when it came out and thought this game was going to be horrible. Well, I was wrong. The story, graphics and setting of the game are incredible. Nolan North voice acting is always a plus as well.

Lollipop Chainsaw - Definitely not for everyone, but I thought this game was extremely fun. Graphics were not all that spectacular, but the gameplay and humor made up for a lot of that. Nothing can get better than slicin' and dicin' zombies with a hot ass cheerleader.

ChickinOnaChain
07-25-2012, 01:22 AM
Were you asking if that was your favorite, or was that question mark just a typo? Either way I've yet to try that one out but I have heard mixed reviews about it. What's it about and what did you like about it?
LMAO! Purely a typo. I'm on my iPad and I type with two fingers, so what I type, I don't see until I'm finished and I miss some stuff. And the period is the same key as the question mark. Correction coming.

I liked the video when it came out over a year ago. I felt like I'd like it right off, considering I'm not a modern, current day war game player. In it, you're trying to locate some soldiers in Dubi. I like the small team, different location and just the way it looked. You should at least rent it.

hydrosugar
07-25-2012, 01:25 AM
I did like UFC 3, then again I haven't gone online. I heard it had problems in that regard.

Gackt
07-25-2012, 01:32 AM
Syndicate.

KillerBEA
07-25-2012, 01:49 AM
I have only played 3 games that released in calender 2012.

Mass Effect 3
The witcher 2
and Mad Riders an XBLA game.

I didn't play enough of the witcher 2 to really grade it, so that leaves Mass Effect 3 and Mad riders and Mass Effect 3 blows Mad riders out of the water :Bounce:

FFFreak1129
07-25-2012, 03:20 AM
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Mass Effect 3 (even though the ending sucked imo)

StayonTarget
07-25-2012, 03:45 AM
Is it too early to say Borderlands 2? CAUSE I REALLY WANT TO SAY BORDERLANDS 2.

Spanish Assault
07-25-2012, 04:00 AM
Is it too early to say Borderlands 2? CAUSE I REALLY WANT TO SAY BORDERLANDS 2.
yeah due to the amount of awesomeness I will allow Borderlands 2.

Mass Effect 3.

DragonsGoMOO
07-25-2012, 04:24 AM
Duke Nukem Forever.

Rivercurse
07-25-2012, 05:31 AM
3 - Max Payne 3
2 - SSX
1 - Mass Effect 3

Spade.
07-25-2012, 06:01 AM
What are you guys talking about? I'm still rockin' games from '09! :p Also, I'm broke most of the time.

shangri la27
07-25-2012, 08:11 AM
Mass effect or Amalur.

Samigi
07-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Witcher 2 I suppose, no other games have came out.

AceBD
07-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Well, I've only bought 4 new games this year, so here goes......

Mass Effect 3: I never could get into this series, and this game didn't change that. Traded it within a week. I wouldn't say it was bad, just not for me.....

Tiger Woods 13: As an avid Tiger fan year in/year out, day one Tiger Woods buyer, this was the most frustrating, controller clenching, tongue biting crapfest of a golf game I have played since TW06. Hated it, but still own it in hopes of grabbing a few more achievements here and there.

Max Payne 3: Loved this story the first time through. Fun, action packed, gritty, good. Second playthrough was like "wtf I can't skip these cutscenes?" Third playthrough was like "ok, enough of this shit" and traded it towards future soldier......

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier...... An absolute disgrace to the series. No co-op matchmaking. Boring, simple story. Laggy, stupid multiplayer that doesn't even include a deathmatch.

So, I guess it's MP3 by default. What a shitty year for gaming thus far.

dirge
07-25-2012, 12:17 PM
So far? That would have to be Lollipop Chainsaw, but i'm pretty sure Dishonored will the one standing tall for me at the end of the year.

Akuza
07-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Asura's wrath

Lollipop chainsaw

The amazing spiderman

All great games.

Spanish Assault
07-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Duke Nukem Forever.

You're joking....right?....RIGHT?!?!?!.....RIGHT?!?!?!?!

So, I guess it's MP3 by default. What a shitty year for gaming thus far.

Ahh but the year still have some gems in store for us (AC3, Borderlands 2)

Mister Spraggsy
07-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Retail would have to be Mass Effect 3.
Arcade would be Minecraft.

Not a very exciting year for me, in not a COD or Halo fan so I won't be getting them latter in the year. Basically FIFA 13 and Hitman are the only game im looking toward to. So Mass Effect will probably end the year as my favourite game of 2012

Spanish Assault
07-25-2012, 02:01 PM
Retail would have to be Mass Effect 3.
Arcade would be Minecraft.

Not a very exciting year for me, in not a COD or Halo fan so I won't be getting them latter in the year. Basically FIFA 13 and Hitman are the only game im looking toward to. So Mass Effect will probably end the year as my favourite game of 2012
Im NOT looking forward to Black Ops 2 or Halo 4 as well. Not a fan of Assassins Creed or Borderlands?

Broodjekipkorn
07-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Probably Mass Effect 3, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and Max Payne 3.

DragonsGoMOO
07-25-2012, 02:19 PM
You're joking....right?....RIGHT?!?!?!.....RIGHT?!?!?!?!

Yes. Glad someone didn't think I thought that crap was good lol

I enjoyed Minecraft, and that's pretty much the only thing I'm playing right now.
I really fucking enjoyed Portal 2. I don't remember what else came out this year, so Minecraft and Portal 2.

Spanish Assault
07-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Yes. Glad someone didn't think I thought that crap was good lol

I enjoyed Minecraft, and that's pretty much the only thing I'm playing right now.
I really fucking enjoyed Portal 2. I don't remember what else came out this year, so Minecraft and Portal 2.
Que sad trombone music:

Portal 2
Release:
US: April 19, 2011
Europe: April 22, 2011

That is a game I have yet to play, but I will. Right now looking to buy Saints Row the Third and Sniper Elite for a good price.

mattesty
07-25-2012, 02:49 PM
I liked The Amazing Spider-Man personally for games that have come out so far.

sicklyplague
07-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Mass Effect 3

Cmpunk
07-25-2012, 04:24 PM
FF 13-2! Great game.. invested 50+ hours in it.

Mister Buds
07-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Que sad trombone music:

That is a game I have yet to play, but I will. Right now looking to buy Saints Row the Third and Sniper Elite for a good price.

also: Duke Nukem Forever
Release date(s) June 10, 2011[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_nukem_forever#cite_note-Eurogamer_releasedate-6)

NA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America) June 14, 2011[7] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_nukem_forever#cite_note-Eurogamer_releasedate-6)

Mac OS X
August 18, 2011he's apparently just really bad with release dates.

Sarsage
07-25-2012, 06:00 PM
KoA: Reckoning
The Darkness 2
Spec Ops: The Line
Minecraft
Mass Effect 3

I H8ME I Santos
07-25-2012, 07:55 PM
As of right now I would say Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Future Soldier. I haven't been impressed so far.

DragonsGoMOO
07-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Que sad trombone music:

Wow, the years fly by fast. Thank you for making me realize the failure in me. Then I guess my favorite game so far is Minecraft.

Until Borderlands 2 come out.

phot0Harv
07-25-2012, 11:49 PM
spec ops the line and GR Future Soldier in my opinion...

SIMPLYMIDGET
07-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Skyrim (End of 2011 but I don't care.)

Sniper Elite V2

Barad
07-26-2012, 09:13 PM
Syndicate & SSX. Still need to play Spec Ops.

Nevander
07-26-2012, 09:23 PM
My favorite so far is Trials Evo, my all time favorite since the glory days of Doom and Doom II will probably be Borderlands 2. SOOO PUMPED FOR IT! :p

dragonpwnr99
07-26-2012, 09:33 PM
Diablo 3, Minecraft..

Those are the only ones i've bought this year :p

yourbreakfast99
07-26-2012, 10:00 PM
MW3, NHL 12, SSX, Skyrim

Rapture639
07-26-2012, 11:05 PM
KoA: Reckoning
The Darkness 2
Minecraft
Mass Effect 3

Oh man I totally forgot about Darkness 2 . Yeah that game was a blast! I really enjoyed the art style and storyline in Darkness 2. The writers did a good job making you care about Jacky and his messed up situation and the darkness powers were pretty awesome.

I was thinking about adding Diablo 3 on this list as well but since this is a 360 forum, I thought it was better to just talk about 360 games here. But Diablo 3 will probably be my GOTY unless Halo 4 or Assassin's Creed blows my mind somehow.

HOINKSON
07-28-2012, 07:03 PM
Arcade Game of the year - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD.

I was worried it would be a flop but they were able to deliver and freshen up a classic

tmnterminator
07-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Mass Effect and Arkham City were standouts for me. Just started playing MW3 and thats been fun too. But I'm really looking forwards to Halo and Borderlands

Gen. H
07-29-2012, 02:46 AM
Definitely The Witcher 2 for me, absolutely loved it. Enjoyed the mature themes/story, characters, gameplay etc. Looking forward to #3.

Mass Effect 3 & Spec ops: The Line would come 2nd and 3rd so far. Looking forward to the upcoming games!

vader99
07-29-2012, 05:28 AM
Sniper Elite V2, Spec Ops, Max Payne 3 and Ghost Recon Future Soldier!

MGMoceri
07-29-2012, 07:07 AM
I'm voting for halo 4 even though it's Out yet. Just getting the buddies together for some social games like in halo 3. Can't wait

Skilled
07-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Trials Evo, put so much time into the game so far.

Not looking forward to any games end of this year which is good. I can play some other games and get stuff sorted :D

warrenpaul
07-29-2012, 09:52 AM
Max Payne 3 is definitely the best game to come out so far this year.

Yep, agree there

tmnterminator
07-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Yep, agree there

I forgot about that one. I really enjoyed the campaign on that one. Multiplayer, not so much.

warrenpaul
07-29-2012, 03:13 PM
I forgot about that one. I really enjoyed the campaign on that one. Multiplayer, not so much.

it was ok but i really didn't get into it

THE DEADLY DOG
07-29-2012, 03:14 PM
Sniper Elite V2, Spec Ops, Max Payne 3 and Ghost Recon Future Soldier!

I had a ton of fun with Sniper Elite V2. Great choice.

Spanish Assault
07-29-2012, 03:51 PM
I had a ton of fun with Sniper Elite V2. Great choice.
This is my next buy...I just picked up Saints Row the Third to co-op with a buddy.

starlightfox
07-29-2012, 04:42 PM
I just finished Max Payne 3 and it was the best game I've played so far this year, though I'm about to start Mass Effect 3... so I'll wait for that before I make judgement.

DengelBerry
07-30-2012, 03:06 AM
Mine is Witcher 2 so far. Then its Kingdoms of Amalur, followed by Mass Effect 3. It's a strong start for RPG's this year.

Gackt
07-30-2012, 03:08 AM
Diablo 3

I think maybe you're confused man, this is the "Fav Games of the Year"...not "Horrible let downs of the decade I can't believe we waited so long and this horrible game is what we got" thread.
:biglaugh

DengelBerry
07-30-2012, 03:15 AM
I think maybe you're confused man, this is the "Fav Games of the Year"...not "Horrible let downs of the decade I can't believe we waited so long and this horrible game is what we got" thread.

It's True lol

koopakiller64
07-31-2012, 06:50 PM

I barely made it through that game. I would look at the icon on my desktop and just cringe on how bad it was. Hopefully Torchlight 2 can repair some of the damage.

I barely played any games of 2012 except for a few lousy rents like Darkness 2 and Prototype 2 etc. Mass Effect 3 will probably win since I loved playing the MP portion of it.

Kunduz
07-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Dragon's Dogma
Witcher 2(Xbox 360)
Max Payne 3
Kingdoms Of Amalur
Mass Effect 3
Quantum Conundrum
Sniper Elite V2

Though I'm hoping Hitman: Absolution or Borderlands 2 will top the list by the end of the year

The Kevster 33
07-31-2012, 08:55 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who loved Spec Ops the line. I thought that was sure to disappoint, but I was completely wrong. Loved it.

Max Payne 3 - Didn't like the amount of cut scenes, but the story was good enough to forgive that. Didn't really enjoy online though.

MLB 12 The Show - Yes PS3, I have all systems haha. One of the main reasons I got a PS3 was for this game. Best baseball game since MVP baseball.

NCAA Football 13 - Yes it's basically the same as last year... and the year before etc. But I still love the game no matter what. Would gladly welcome more changes, but always a favorite of mine.

Uncharted Golden Abyss - Best game on the Vita although there is no competition (haven't played Gravity Rush yet)

I am getting Dragons Dogma and the Witcher 2 eventually I'm expecting them to make the list.

niko da bos
07-31-2012, 09:49 PM
i hear a lot of good reviews on the DLC bioware added for the mass effect ending, unfortunately i still havent brought myself around to playing the game again. after my initial first playthru i didnt even have motivation to import more shepards, i was just so depressed :(. i had invested so much time into the first two games, and got shat on by the reapers lol.

ME3 was probably my fav retail of the year anyway, simply because i had been waiting for that game ever since i beat mass effect 1. i always loved the characters, thats one reason i enjoy Mass effect is i just get so emmerged.

Minecraft was also great fun, i was waiting for this ever since i tried it on my crap-ass PC lol. the framerate on my PC was like, a slideshow. kind of waiting for more updates before i get back to the game, the PC version is like miles ahead.