PDA

View Full Version : USB Drive question

LoKuS773
07-25-2012, 03:33 AM
I have kind of a long question and would appreciate your guys help. So my xbox slim will not play gears 3, getting disc is unreadable error, and I've tried everything. So the idea I had was to get a USB drive and move all of my gears data onto that and play on an old white model.

Here is where I am confused. Can I just plug my USB drive into my old xbox without a hard drive, recover my gamertag on that xbox, and be good to go? Or is there something more complicated to that? I was also wondering how the DLC would work too. I really only want to use this method to play gears 3 as that is the only game I am getting the error. Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated as I am kind of in the dark on this one. Thanks in advance!

StayonTarget
07-25-2012, 03:43 AM
It needs a hard drive and the slim has one. You just can't pop it out. If you plug in the USB and then go into the storage area, you can copy your saves over. Then on the other xbox, recover your account and you should be able to copy it back to the hard drive. You may have to do some quick googling, but once you do it the firs time it's easy.

Although, if the Xbox can read other games then it won't do you much good. Your disc is scratched or whatever. If it can't read any games, the disc reader is broken and you should get that fixed. Hope this helps.

LoKuS773
07-25-2012, 04:11 AM
Yes, my slim does have a hard drive. That is where i would be copying my files from. I was wondering if i needed a hard drive for my old xbox or can i run everything from the USB. As for the game I have tried multiple discs and always see the error. I have also tried my game on a friends xbox and did not see the problem. Thanks again.

InfamousVuk
07-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Just copy your gamertag and game saves to a flash drive and play/save on it (flash drive that is).
You shouldn't have any problems this way.

Also as mentioned by StayonTarget, it is possible that your gears disk is damaged...

APassingShadow
07-25-2012, 07:27 AM
^^
What he said
If you put profile on the USB it will save you the time of recovering your gamertag. Also move your save files onto the USB. If you want the DLC I would recommend re-downloading it, but if you have a big USB (I think 16 gigs is max?) you can put that on there too

Reference - I keep my profile and saved games on a flashdrive so I can play at my friends house if I want

SilentStrike011
07-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Don't know about other people on here but it wouldn't let me copy my gears 3 files onto USB via the dasboard, storage method.

I actually had to load the disc, then select the storage device as USB for the data to make a copy on the USB.

LoKuS773
07-25-2012, 05:40 PM
Yeah, thanks for the advice. Also, once I have my gamertag on the usb drive I just have to re-install it on my xbox slim to play other games? That sound correct?

Coldgears
07-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Yeah, thanks for the advice. Also, once I have my gamertag on the usb drive I just have to re-install it on my xbox slim to play other games? That sound correct?

I don't think you get it.

The whole, "recover gamertag" thing is really meant for when you lose a copy of your profile. You can download another copy through the internet. By putting your profile on a USB you are avoiding the need to download a profile entirely. No need for a "re-install" of the profile.

I always keep my profile on a usb, as I frequently take my profile over to my friend's house to achievement whore together.

LoKuS773
07-25-2012, 08:54 PM
I think I get it now. So lets say I was playing gears 3 on my older xbox from my usb drive and got an achievement. When I went back to my other xbox my gamertag would be updated as soon as I signed in to Live?

StayonTarget
07-25-2012, 09:57 PM
When it comes to hard drives, this has a hard drive that comes out of the top.
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPxGRCBW0QRUDpvZJrr6e2SeAFH1Oe2 znCz7YJy7fIeg9oCbTx

This has an internal hard drive.
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnIcZW48_9vq-NY4XLgoLJ9mAhTsFIFbQRBzTROo2-j1FGrWcZ

And recovering your GT takes 5 minutes tops but you can just 'copy and paste' it to your flash drive and then to the other hard drive. Just recover and go watch a youtube video if you're lazy. But you still need to copy and paste the save to your profile.

And it's not actual copy and paste of course, but it fits the bill.

LoKuS773
07-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Yeah, I get that. I guess I was wondering when im done playing gears 3 on my old xbox and want to play a different game on my slim do i have to use the usb to put my gamertag back on the slim or will it already be on there and I can sign into Live right away?

InfamousVuk
07-26-2012, 03:39 AM
You can only have one active copy of your GT.
If you have it on your USB then that's where it is, if you recover it on some console while having a copy of your GT on the USB stick, it will become useless. means, newest copy you just recovered is the only active GT.

If you play a game on whatever console with your GT on it, so long it is connected to LIVE, all achievements will automatically be updated.
If you play offline and get achievements, then connect to LIVE, all achievements will be updated.

If you play offline and get achievements, then recover your GT somewhere, you lose all achievements you obtained offline, and will have to redo them (might even have to start the game all over with fresh saves)

Felonious Monk
07-26-2012, 04:37 AM
And recovering your GT takes 5 minutes tops
Pfft. Unless your profile is huge and your connection is slow.

Has no one told this dude yet that if he's going to quasi-permanently move to a different xbox he'll need to do a license transfer and the whole nine yards?

But before we wrap this up:

I really only want to use this method to play gears 3 as that is the only game I am getting the error.

As for the game I have tried multiple discs and always see the error. I have also tried my game on a friends xbox and did not see the problem.

Bwah? Which is it, LoKus?

Joel78
07-26-2012, 06:20 AM
Profile recovery doesn't take so long anymore does it since the last update?

LoKuS773
07-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Alright. I have a better understanding how everything works now. Thanks again for everything!!

But before we wrap this up:

Bwah? Which is it, LoKus?

What I meant by that was I have tried several different copies of Gears 3 and have gotten the error with every disc. Also, I tried my copy of the game at a friends house and that ran fine.

Felonious Monk
07-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Alright. I have a better understanding how everything works now. Thanks again for everything!!

What I meant by that was I have tried several different copies of Gears 3 and have gotten the error with every disc. Also, I tried my copy of the game at a friends house and that ran fine.

Definitely your drive, then (unless your friend is running a modded box that is skipping the authentication part of the process, but we'll assume that's not the case). You wouldn't happen to have people that smoke around your box, would you? If so, blowing some compressed air into the ejected drive might help. If not, the drive is likely fubar'd and will need someone who knows what they're doing to fix it.

Are you still under warranty?

LoKuS773
07-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking its the drive for a while. Nobody smokes in my house and my buddy just had a normal 360. As for the warranty, I'll have to look into it, I've had the slim since it came out so I'm not 100% sure.

StayonTarget
07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I get that. I guess I was wondering when im done playing gears 3 on my old xbox and want to play a different game on my slim do i have to use the usb to put my gamertag back on the slim or will it already be on there and I can sign into Live right away?

You can just sign in to your profile on either xbox, just not at the same time. Once you recover it, you can just sign in.

Burnout x360a
07-26-2012, 06:28 PM
It'd be funny if you went to all this trouble and it turns out the disc is the problem.

StayonTarget
07-27-2012, 12:58 AM
It'd be funny if you went to all this trouble and it turns out the disc is the problem.

Explaining it is more difficult that actually doing it tbh.

tugboatman
07-27-2012, 01:53 AM
cant you just move your saves and data to "Cloud Storage" and use them from there?