PDA

View Full Version : Faulty game or xbox?

Tsaako
07-25-2012, 08:10 PM
So I just recently picked up a cheap copy of Halo: ODST. Problem is, my xbox can't seem to read it. My first thought was the game was faulty and would have to be returned. The disc is in pretty good condition, no major scratches on it or anything.

So I switched game and it was then unable to read that too. I turned off my xbox and everything was fine. Switched multiple discs apart from the recently purchased game without no problems at all.

Stuck in the ODST disc again and the problem is repeated. However, I have had the odd 1 or 2 disc reading problems with the xbox in the past, where it wouldn't read any discs at all for a brief amount of time. I have 1 of those arcade xbox's and had it for a few good years now.

So yeah, faulty disc causing the problem or is my xbox showing it's age now?

Edit - ODST comes with 2 discs, 1 for campaign, 1 for multiplayer. It's the campaign disc that doesn't work, multiplayer discs fine. I think it's just a faulty disc thats the problem now.

Spanish Assault
07-25-2012, 09:51 PM
So I just recently picked up a cheap copy of Halo: ODST. Problem is, my xbox can't seem to read it. My first thought was the game was faulty and would have to be returned. The disc is in pretty good condition, no major scratches on it or anything.

So I switched game and it was then unable to read that too. I turned off my xbox and everything was fine. Switched multiple discs apart from the recently purchased game without no problems at all.

Stuck in the ODST disc again and the problem is repeated. However, I have had the odd 1 or 2 disc reading problems with the xbox in the past, where it wouldn't read any discs at all for a brief amount of time. I have 1 of those arcade xbox's and had it for a few good years now.

So yeah, faulty disc causing the problem or is my xbox showing it's age now?

Edit - ODST comes with 2 discs, 1 for campaign, 1 for multiplayer. It's the campaign disc that doesn't work, multiplayer discs fine. I think it's just a faulty disc thats the problem now.
ummm....ok. Was going to say the disc but it looks like you might be all set.

niko da bos
07-25-2012, 09:52 PM
some members will probably chime in with a better answer than me, but i will try to help :p.

from what you describe it sounds like a faulty disc, but what does the screen say when its done reading? "open tray" used to show after trying to read a lot of my games, then the box eventually went to shit and always said "open tray."

if thats the case it could be a problem with the disc tray, its hard to believe its a coicidence though. that after taking out ODST and trying others they didnt work either. since you said its only the campaign disc that has this problem, i would guess that disc is the problem. like i said though, hopefully some technical smarty can help out more than i did.

StayonTarget
07-25-2012, 10:00 PM
How old is your 360? Older ones for whatever reason stop liking to read certain discs. This is from Experience with a launch 360 console.

BlamelessSoul
07-25-2012, 10:06 PM
hate to say it but it sounds like its the xbox i have had that problem with several of man

Tsaako
07-26-2012, 12:42 AM
from what you describe it sounds like a faulty disc, but what does the screen say when its done reading? "open tray" used to show after trying to read a lot of my games, then the box eventually went to shit and always said "open tray."

It takes like a minute or 2 to read then it will either say "Play CD" or "Play Game", when I click it, screen just goes black and nothing happens.

FFFreak1129
07-26-2012, 03:59 AM
Hmm...I think its your console. Thats what happened to my other Xbox. After a while it stopped reading some disks. It would say play dvd when I would put a game in, and if I hit the A button I got a message saying to put in an Xbox 360 game disk or something. It died a few weeks after that started happening.

Felonious Monk
07-26-2012, 04:42 AM
That can happen, but the "play DVD" thing might also be indicative of a damaged disc. Is there a perfectly circular scratch all the way around the disc inbetween the solid part where the data is stored and where the xbox 360 hologram is? I'll see if I can find a picture.

And you've tried other discs in your collection, yeah? Still working?

AntagonisticChaos
07-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Whilst it does sound like the disc tray and Xbox are having issues, there is a chance it could be the disc.

I had a problem a while back with a company who were using one of those machines to "sand down" (for lack of knowing the actual process) the discs and scratches and they were either taking too much off or doing something wrong. I ended up returning a whole order of games which all looked pristine but had in fact been cleaned up too much.

Felonious Monk
07-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Whilst it does sound like the disc tray and Xbox are having issues, there is a chance it could be the disc.

I had a problem a while back with a company who were using one of those machines to "sand down" (for lack of knowing the actual process) the discs and scratches and they were either taking too much off or doing something wrong. I ended up returning a whole order of games which all looked pristine but had in fact been cleaned up too much.

I use one of those machines, and it has to do with the process. If they just use the abrasive of the liquids and then use solution to remove the excess, the disc will look excellent but not work. I always have to run a disc that's really bad off 4 times in the machine; two through sandpaper, two through two different abrasive liquids and pads. If someone uses the more course of the sand paper and doesn't follow with the soft, it also will look fine but won't work.

The only discs that I've not been able to repair are the ones I mentioned in my above post with the inner ring scratch keeping the xbox from recognizing it is an official disc. To sand it to the point where it wouldn't work anymore, you'd almost have to go all the way to the label. Which might be possible if they used the sandpaper exclusively for 10 min.

"sand down" is an accurate descriptor because that's entirely what these machines do. Hell, if I knew what courseness they were for each one I'd make em myself instead of being charged out the ass for them.

AntagonisticChaos
07-26-2012, 06:36 PM
I use one of those machines, and it has to do with the process. If they just use the abrasive of the liquids and then use solution to remove the excess, the disc will look excellent but not work. I always have to run a disc that's really bad off 4 times in the machine; two through sandpaper, two through two different abrasive liquids and pads. If someone uses the more course of the sand paper and doesn't follow with the soft, it also will look fine but won't work.

The only discs that I've not been able to repair are the ones I mentioned in my above post with the inner ring scratch keeping the xbox from recognizing it is an official disc. To sand it to the point where it wouldn't work anymore, you'd almost have to go all the way to the label. Which might be possible if they used the sandpaper exclusively for 10 min.

"sand down" is an accurate descriptor because that's entirely what these machines do. Hell, if I knew what courseness they were for each one I'd make em myself instead of being charged out the ass for them.

Thanks for that! I always wondered exactly how it works, cheers for taking the time to explain it, I appreciate it.

Spade.
07-26-2012, 06:40 PM
I had a similar problem, except not with ODST. It wouldn't read certain games, then the problem grew to only being able to read 2-3 of my games, then it wouldn't read any. Just give it some time and if it can't read a game that you can usually play, it's more than likely broken.