PDA

View Full Version : How to convince mum to get Xbox Live

Lockdown Loaded
07-28-2012, 02:47 AM
Hello everyone,
I have Xbox Live at my dads but I want to get it at my mums. The problem is that she doesn`t like me talking to "my friends that I don`t know." How can I convince her to let me get Xbox Live?

I have 12 gigs of internet per month. Should that be enough to play Xbox Live?

Spanish Assault
07-28-2012, 02:52 AM
get a job, then give her $60 a year.

DragonsGoMOO
07-28-2012, 02:59 AM
get a job, then give her $60 a year.

He has Xbox live, he just wants connection. He probably transports his Xbox back and forth.

Lockdown Loaded
07-28-2012, 03:02 AM
He has Xbox live, he just wants connection. He probably transports his Xbox back and forth.
Yep, I`ll just recover my gamertag.

DragonsGoMOO
07-28-2012, 03:04 AM
I don't know anything about limits, 12gb being enough or not. I have unlimited, and always have, so I don't have any knowledge, experience.

I don't know what to say. How old are you? You gotta be like 14, 15 if your mom doesn't want you talking to strangers online.

Lockdown Loaded
07-28-2012, 03:07 AM
I don't know anything about limits, 12gb being enough or not. I have unlimited, and always have, so I don't have any knowledge, experience.

I don't know what to say. How old are you? You gotta be like 14, 15 if your mom doesn't want you talking to strangers online.
14, I`ve had Xbox Live for around 2 years at my dads.

DragonsGoMOO
07-28-2012, 03:09 AM
Well, other than having your dad speak to your mother about it, I'm not sure how else you can convince your mom to let you connect. They are strangers and will remain strangers.

ChickinOnaChain
07-28-2012, 03:28 AM
Do this...play your online games at your dad's where you have XBL and play your SP games at your mom's house where you don't.

Gackt
07-28-2012, 03:33 AM
Hello everyone,
I have Xbox Live at my dads but I want to get it at my mums. The problem is that she doesn`t like me talking to "my friends that I don`t know." How can I convince her to let me get Xbox Live?

I have 12 gigs of internet per month. Should that be enough to play Xbox Live?

How much do you plan on playing and what do you usually play? Shooters will average around 30-40mb per hour. If you end up playing A LOT that will add up quick...wouldn't want to use up all your moms bandwidth if it's capped.

Lockdown Loaded
07-28-2012, 03:34 AM
Do this...play your online games at your dad's where you have XBL and play your SP games at your mom's house where you don't.
I want to Achivement/Gamerscore whore at my mums

Joel78
07-28-2012, 04:22 AM
You can still get achievements/gamerscore offline. You will just need to put your profile on a USB stick rather than recovering your gamertag.
Maybe you could tell her you will mute all the voice and restrict communication to people on your list?

Rep
07-28-2012, 04:34 AM
I want to Achivement/Gamerscore whore at my mums

And playing offline single player won't help you do that? The majority of the achievements usually come from the Single Player of games...

Anyways, just tell your Mom that she can set up parental controls on your XBL account. She will able to restrict voice communications and stuff like that.

DragonsGoMOO
07-28-2012, 05:04 AM

That's a great idea actually.

Only thing is how long he stays at mom's and dad's. Waste of a Live account if he can't use it much.

Felonious Monk
07-28-2012, 05:05 AM
Man, don't give her access to your XBL account.
But don't undermine her, either. So you won't have XBL at her house.

Considering the only other thread I've seen updated in the past hour is "What games can I get achievements in using only one hand?" the conclusion is this: the internet is a bizarre place and you probably shouldn't have access to it at all until you're the age of majority.

Seriously, though. "I can have access at one house, but not at another!" What a first-world problem.

That's a great idea actually.

Only thing is how long he stays at mom's and dad's. Waste of a Live account if he can't use it much.

Meh, I only get on XBL for a total of under 8 hours a week. What with work, classes and death-defying idiocy standing in my way the remainder of the time, I'll go days without Live at a time. If he's buying by the year and having to spend a couple of weeks on, a couple weeks off, it's still good value. If he's spending six months in one place and six months in another, that's another matter, but a good a reason to only subscribe every month or buy a three month card if there ever was one.

TheRealBlomkin
07-28-2012, 05:08 AM
Get a new mom.

DragonsGoMOO
07-28-2012, 05:10 AM
Seriously, though. "I can have access at one house, but not at another!" What a first-world problem.

I love these. I either solve the problem by bringing a 50 feet long ethernet cord and hope my mom doesn't trip (same situation, just she doesn't have wifi) or I just find something else to do, like hang out with my mom.

Felonious Monk
07-28-2012, 05:11 AM
Get a new mom.
Just doing some quick math in my head, I may be willing to take his off his hands.

DragonsGoMOO
07-28-2012, 05:13 AM

Meh, I only get on XBL for a total of under 8 hours a week. What with work, classes and death-defying idiocy standing in my way the remainder of the time, I'll go days without Live at a time. If he's buying by the year and having to spend a couple of weeks on, a couple weeks off, it's still good value. If he's spending six months in one place and six months in another, that's another matter, but a good a reason to only subscribe every month or buy a three month card if there ever was one.

That's true. Same with me. since the beginning of this year, I was hardly on. I went weeks without turning on my Xbox due to work and school and girlfriend, like you. But summer came, got more time since no school, and I only play Minecraft now pretty much. I've been more active in the last week (which is when I bought Minecraft, a week ago) than I have been the entire year so far.

So yeah, depending on his situation, he could save or lose money. I am even-steven on my 60 bucks a year right now. I have a feeling it'll change when Borderlands 2 come out.

Lockdown Loaded
07-28-2012, 07:00 AM
I go to my mums and dads house 4 days each. I will mostly be playing skyrim and other single player games at my mums and multiplayer games at my dads.

Felonious Monk
07-28-2012, 07:16 AM
I go to my mums and dads house 4 days each. I will mostly be playing skyrim and other single player games at my mums and multiplayer games at my dads.
Well then you've got that pretty well ... uh, locked down.
You know, ensuring you carry your weight around the house and dropping a hint every couple of weeks, and not a time more, might go a long way. Just sayin'.

Lockdown Loaded
07-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Well then you've got that pretty well ... uh, locked down.
You know, ensuring you carry your weight around the house and dropping a hint every couple of weeks, and not a time more, might go a long way. Just sayin'.
I don`t understand.

StayonTarget
07-28-2012, 07:33 AM
So if you have internet, can't you just hook your xbox up to the Wifi? Especially after recovering your profile. You don't have to tell your mom... especially if you don't talk to people while at her house.

Lockdown Loaded
07-28-2012, 07:36 AM
So if you have internet, can't you just hook your xbox up to the Wifi? Especially after recovering your profile. You don't have to tell your mom... especially if you don't talk to people while at her house.
I wish I could do that.

Felonious Monk
07-28-2012, 07:46 AM
I don`t understand.
I think I found your problem.

Dav13s
07-28-2012, 09:40 AM
I think I found your problem.

Lol.

Help out around the house and your Mum may change her mind. Or you could, you know, just live with the decision. It's not that big a deal really.

Blink
07-28-2012, 09:43 AM
If she's only bothered about you talking to strangers, just leave your mic at your Dad's and play without one?

DecadentBeaver
07-28-2012, 10:37 AM

This. Words of wisdom right here. Best suggestion going, and it will keep your mom off your case if you carry on asking. I can see her point as you're only 14. But if your dad thinks you're mature enough, if you are I don't know, then you should be allowed. My 12 year old stepson is allowed on XBL, and regularly joins me and a few friends online to play Minecraft. They know his age, and don't use bad language when he's on. Hell, he even uses party chat, which is a surprise given that he's Autistic.

Chaz Of Sparta
07-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Just tell her that you'll only talk to people that you know when playing at her house.

Akuza
07-28-2012, 10:47 AM
show to her that it isn't that bad.

How old are you though?

Parents as you get older get more trusting and understanding, this sounds as if your still quite young.

that's the only thing I can think of doing, ask her can you show her that Xbox live isn't bad, then eventually when she see's you having fun, she'll walk out happy knowing your happy.

iBuzz7S
07-28-2012, 11:17 AM
I'd rather my child talk to a stranger on Xbox LIVE than watch MTV. Chances are, MTV will corrupt my child quicker than the 40 year old guy looking for young kids to talk to.

There are parental controls which she can access. Of course, you only tell her this for your dummy account and not the one you want to go online with. :p

Whispin627
07-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Lol.

Help out around the house and your Mum may change her mind. Or you could, you know, just live with the decision. It's not that big a deal really.

:whs

Our 12 yr old son has his responsibilities around the house. The deal is that we have parental controls set to our liking and chores/school grades cant slip or his gaming time gets banned for a time. Show her you're responsible enough and let her know about parental controls...

Tsaako
07-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Let her know about the parental control measures you can have set up. Surely that might be enough to convince her if she wants to put some restrictions in place.

PMS Green1Chaos
07-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Save up your birthday/christmas money...I did that and bought my xbox 360 with the money I got...You can always add your real life friends that you know on xbox from either school or work.

SilentStrike011
07-29-2012, 02:27 AM
If you're in your mums house then you should follow her rules until you're old enough to leave or contribute to the household income. You should appreciate that she's trying to look out for you.

JennyOwnz
07-29-2012, 05:52 PM
If i were you i'd probably just deal with it. I would just play my Multiplayer games at your dad's & your Single player games at your mom's.

Then again, when i was that age i never really listened to much anyone told me. I always went out of my way to break the rules, and broke them! lol. . . I'm now 21.
Don't worry buddy, there will come a time when you'll be old enough to do whatever you want.

masterq60
07-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Do what I'm doing, wait for christmas and ask for a year and repeat year after year :D

FFFreak1129
07-30-2012, 04:20 AM
I'd suggest what others have and see if you can help out around the house in some way. Show her you are mature and she might let you on Live. If not, its not that bad. You can still play games just not on Live. Just go on Live when you are at your dad's place.

H2O
07-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Is your Gold sub not linked to your tag/ console rather than location?

So as his tag has a gold sub linked and both houses have pre-existing internet connections there's no extra costs involved unless they need to up the bandwidth limit?

Leaving the only problem as his Mum not allowing him to link his 360 to her internet connection?

Some of the answers in this thread are confusing me as to the exact extent of the problem.