PDA

View Full Version : Xbox doesn't realize games are installed

Mister Buds
08-01-2012, 01:50 PM
if you saw my other post about how my GoW console died, i finally got it back a couple days ago. i didn't have any time to reconnect it until today though.

i put my hard drive back in. i had about six retail titles installed on it. when i play one of them, my console apparently doesn't realize that they're installed and keeps playing them from the disc. i tried deleting and reinstalling them but it isn't fixing this problem.

iBuzz7S
08-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Not to belittle you in any way whatsoever, but are you overreacting? A lot of my games, in fact any one who has an Xbox 360 game installed on the HDD, the disc will spin up until you enter a games main menu, sometimes even minutes into your playing time.

Is this what it may be or are you saying that even after deleting and re-installing the game, 15/30 minutes after your game has loaded, the disc is spinning and failing to play mainly from the HDD?

Burnout x360a
08-01-2012, 01:58 PM
You didn't specify a time that the disc spins for. Since the new disc format was introduced last year games now continue to spin for a few minutes before stopping, it's generally only a few minutes.

If it's older games that are doing it well I have no clue.

niko da bos
08-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Not to belittle you in any way whatsoever, but are you overreacting? A lot of my games, in fact any one who has an Xbox 360 game installed on the HDD, the disc will spin up until you enter a games main menu, sometimes even minutes into your playing time.

thats what i was thinking, most of the time i still hear the disc until im in the main menu for a while like you said. unless it is a significant ammount of time, like you never hear it quiet down.

during the time you un-installed and put it back on the HD did you ever play the game inbetween to see the difference?

EliteShadowMan
08-01-2012, 04:05 PM

Is this what it may be or are you saying that even after deleting and re-installing the game, 15/30 minutes after your game has loaded, the disc is spinning and failing to play mainly from the HDD?

I would assume he's smart enough to know that the disc spins a little while after starting up now. If he doesn't, then that's most likely his issue.

Mister Buds
08-02-2012, 01:22 AM
yes, i know the new discs spin for a few minutes. i left my box on for an hour, came back, and it was still spinning. i think the issue might have been that i also had a usb drive in the xbox, which had the two games that i attempted installed on it as well. after removing that usb drive a few hours ago, it seems to be alright.

Tsaako
08-02-2012, 02:24 AM
It's not a big problem from my point of view but if your that bothered about it, if you can't get any answers here, try contacting microsoft?

QuantumSign
08-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Well, looks like OP's question has been answered.
Now, before this topic dies down entirely, I've a fairly related question or two.

Is there a major benefit to having the console run the game using the installed data rather than the CD? I'm going to make a hypothesis, or uneducated guess, and suppose there's less risk of scratching the disc and perhaps a smoother presentation/flow to the game? I installed a game once, thinking it would be awesome if I didn't have to have the hard disc inside of the console, only to discovered I do. On one hand that's reasonable, because it can prevent theft, free copy distribution, etc. But, yeah, that aside, back to the questions.

DragonsGoMOO
08-02-2012, 03:45 AM
Well, looks like OP's question has been answered.
Now, before this topic dies down entirely, I've a fairly related question or two.

Is there a major benefit to having the console run the game using the installed data rather than the CD? I'm going to make a hypothesis, or uneducated guess, and suppose there's less risk of scratching the disc and perhaps a smoother presentation/flow to the game? I installed a game once, thinking it would be awesome if I didn't have to have the hard disc inside of the console, only to discovered I do. On one hand that's reasonable, because it can prevent theft, free copy distribution, etc. But, yeah, that aside, back to the questions.

You need the disc, installed or not. It gives you faster loading times, doesn't make much sound, less chance of disc getting scratched if knocked over.

But it doesn't prevent theft, or free copy distribution. I can bust into your house and take it the second it finished installing, and play it at my house no problem.

It's just like a CD into iTunes. It's reusable after installing/downloading into it.

QuantumSign
08-02-2012, 03:53 AM
You need the disc, installed or not. It gives you faster loading times, doesn't make much sound, less chance of disc getting scratched if knocked over.

But it doesn't prevent theft, or free copy distribution. I can bust into your house and take it the second it finished installing, and play it at my house no problem.

It's just like a CD into iTunes. It's reusable after installing/downloading into it.
Thanks for the timely response.
I know I need the disc, but I had not known I did if I installed the game (until I tried it once). And by the theft part, I just meant that the consumers (us) can't steal games or buy them and install them, then return them for our cash back. If we didn't need the disc, I'm sure that would happen quite often.

What I didn't know, for sure, is what you confirmed about protecting the disc and faster loading, as well as decreased sound. Thanks a lot.

DecadentBeaver
08-02-2012, 04:11 AM
I've had issues where some games need installing due to the sheer volume of noise the disc makes. Fable 3 sounded in my console sounded like a bloody vibrator goin off, so had to install it. The disc was still spinning, but made hardly any noise afterwards. So now I install all my games.

DragonsGoMOO
08-02-2012, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the timely response.
I know I need the disc, but I had not known I did if I installed the game (until I tried it once). And by the theft part, I just meant that the consumers (us) can't steal games or buy them and install them, then return them for our cash back. If we didn't need the disc, I'm sure that would happen quite often.

What I didn't know, for sure, is what you confirmed about protecting the disc and faster loading, as well as decreased sound. Thanks a lot.

Oh, my bad. I misunderstood you. Yeah, I get what you're saying now.

I only install games I'll play so much, like Red Dead Redemption, Left 4 Dead, Batman Arkham City. Of course, when I'm done, I uninstall them. No more need.

Rapture639
08-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Kind of funny that this is brought up because I recently had an issue with the Amazing Spider-Man game where even after I installed the game, the game kept spinning in my Xbox for as long as I was playing it. I tried installing and reinstalling it a couple times and some of the other suggestions made by other posters when someone else posted about it, but it did not fix the problem for me.

Fortunately that is the only game I had that problem with, so it wasn't that big a deal after I completed it lol.