PDA

View Full Version : Pricing of DLC

shootmeup
08-03-2012, 09:23 PM
I've always thought the pricing of DLC and Arcade games has been too high. typically i buy a 2100 points card roughly every 4 months. now most DLC comes in at 800/1200 a pop, so that gets you either 2 bits of DLC and some points left over or one DLC and 900 points left. now if all DLC was priced at 400 points i know i would be guaranteed 5 chunks of DLC/arcade games. and surely more people would buy more of it making multiplayer DLC accessible to more people and i would be more willing to take a punt on an arcade game i didnt fall in in love with at the demo stage.

I know the success of COD:Black Ops ($250 million in DLC sales) has alerted various publishers to the extra income stream but surely this is a rarity. Would you buy more DLC/Arcade at the cheaper price point (no brainer i know) but the real question is would you buy more at the cheaper price point. I know i would

123abc
08-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Yes it's very high, too high. But unfortunately when something can be replicated infinitly it has no price therefore they can set whatever prices they want and higher prices = fatter wallets

iBuzz7S
08-03-2012, 09:58 PM
If it's a game where I am going to get hours of single player fun, then I can just wait for it.

If it's online content, then I would rather grab it sooner than later because the more you wait, the less chance of finding players online.

Kunduz
08-03-2012, 11:19 PM
It should be lower.

I try to buy all my DLC and arcade games on DOTW, so I don't have to fork out so much money.

Tsaako
08-03-2012, 11:41 PM
I'd buy alot more DLC / Arcade titles if they was 400 / 800 points each, I have no problem.

Anything that costs 1200+ is a bit of a stretch. For an arcade title it'd have to be a game that has decent replay value. I've only ever purchased 1 DLC and that was a map pack back in Halo 3, even that cost 800 points. Everything else I've purchased with MS Points is cheap arcade titles lol.

Wildmn34
08-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Some DLC is over priced, some is about right IMO, hell there is some DLC out there that I would have paid more to play. lol

BUT - I am really disappointed in the cost of XBLA games. They should be 800 MSP max. Period. 1200-1600 for an Arcade title is way to expensive. The recently released Deadlight is a perfect example. 1200 MSP for 4-5 hours of game play. Really disappointing.

ChickinOnaChain
08-04-2012, 12:12 AM
Just like gas and most everything else you buy, it goes up in price. Luckily it's optional, unlike gas and most everything else you buy.

iBuzz7S
08-04-2012, 12:20 AM
The recently released Deadlight is a perfect example. 1200 MSP for 4-5 hours of game play. Really disappointing.
Think about it though - 15 USD (10 GBP - 20 AUD) for 4-5 hours seems right if you compare it to 60 USD for 10 hours of gameplay.

But regardless of gameplay, 1200 is the most I'd pay for an arcade title. That is where everyone should draw the line. An exception with a 1600 title is Minecraft because you can get hundreds of hours of play from it.

warrenpaul
08-04-2012, 12:37 AM
the price to change your gamertag is shocking.

Rep
08-04-2012, 12:44 AM
the price to change your gamertag is shocking.

$10? I don't think it's too much, especially since people usually only change their tag once every two years, if not at all. Unless you're one of those 13 year old kids that play Call of Duty and change it every other week.

DecadentBeaver
08-04-2012, 01:26 AM
I would love to see lower prices. I tend not to get DLC unless its a GoTY edition. I bought all the Fallout NV dlc last year, and only OWB was any good. The rest was shit. Then I got the Deus Ex Missing Link on 50% off sale in Jan for 600msp. Total bargain, and I loved it. I got the LA Noire dlc around the same time for 50% off too. Glad I did, or I would have felt cheated as they were very short.

Dawnguard dlc was 1600msp. I felt violated in the wallet after playing that. Bethesda really dropped the ball on that. 8 months of waiting to be let down. Needless to say, I won't be buying anymore dlc for quite a while.

If the content can justify the price, then I won't mind paying a bit more than usual for it. But it really has to be worth it.

Ayx
08-04-2012, 01:27 AM
$10? I don't think it's too much, especially since people usually only change their tag once every two years, if not at all. Unless you're one of those 13 year old kids that play Call of Duty and change it every other week.I think it's actually too expensive myself, but they won't lower the price ever. See, it's just the Call of Duty community that has this experience (How original of you to use that community as your example, by the way.) but every game genre ever has this. Not just that, but there are social groups with unique "Clan Tag" ID's on their gamertags in order to represent them. Technically, about 80% of the people that change their gamertag is simple to add or remove anything on their already established alias.

Although this is seen more in young members on Xbox LIVE that will do anything to fit in with another social group, it's that same age group that at times will feel a bit restricted or left out only because they don't possess the same income to be able to shit out $10 for their social group clan tag. Amazingly, I've met people from all sorts of financial classes and Xbox is one of the few places where you aren't entirely judged because of that.

tl;dr I think 400MSP should have been the price of Gamertag changes but I know how much that would stress the Xbox servers and scanners, so I can understand the justification of the price as well.

mrj3d
08-04-2012, 02:02 AM
If it's a game where I am going to get hours of single player fun, then I can just wait for it.

If it's online content, then I would rather grab it sooner than later because the more you wait, the less chance of finding players online.

This is pretty much me. Sometimes I make an exception, but usually I wait on buying DLC. Would love lower prices, but whatever, such is the way of the world.

DragonessAthena
08-04-2012, 04:33 AM
I don't mind really. The only time I won't buy DLC right away is when it's some kind of multiplayer map pack. Even if they add achievements, I won't buy it until it's on sale. I did that with Transformers WFC, got both map/character packs for half off instead of the full 800 each. I'm waiting on AC:Revelations map pack to go on sale before I buy it, since I absolutely refuse to pay 800 points for maps that I can't use unless everyone else has them, even though they have achievements.

dirge
08-04-2012, 09:28 AM
Things like this, always go up in price, get used to it.

PMS Green1Chaos
08-04-2012, 07:15 PM
I totally agree...Games like Mass Effect 3 have free DLC for the story mode and one for a price.But games like Call Of Duty, Halo, Gears, Battlefield, and e.t.c. are between 800/2100 microsoft points. Their too pricey to pay for.

FFFreak1129
08-06-2012, 04:41 AM
Yeah I definitely would buy more DLC if it was cheaper. Before when games cost 800 points max I did buy and try alot more then I do now. Now the game has to be something I'm really looking forward to if I'm going to buy it at full price. Most times though I wait for it to go on sale.

Arenazombie
08-06-2012, 01:19 PM
I'm a completionist, so I buy like nearly every DLC for games I have, but I think I would probably buy more games to begin with, but when I know they're trying to milk me, I stay of a game completely.
And I probably wouldn't wait for GotY editions so often. Now its almost garantueed, that so called "AAA-titles" get DLC that costs 30-60€, so I have stayed off and stay off certain games that I may have bought otherwise. If I buy a game, I want a full game, not a part of it and when a game has 50€ DLC it means to me "This game costs 110€"

Broodjekipkorn
08-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I would buy more DLC when it was cheaper, but it's not, so I'm rarely buying DLC.

In my opinion, developers need to finish their games before they sell it. Because now they're just make let's say 75% of the game and then one month after the release, there's first DLC. Guess what? Next missions and such. WTF. I hate the way they take money at this moment, but hey, they can do whatever they want.

niko da bos
08-06-2012, 02:28 PM
I know the success of COD:Black Ops ($250 million in DLC sales) has alerted various publishers to the extra income stream but surely this is a rarity.

holy shit i didnt know they made 250mil just off DLC for that game!

Some DLC is over priced, some is about right IMO, hell there is some DLC out there that I would have paid more to play. lol

*Lair of the shadow broker* :)
i would've glady paid more for this DLC, not only is it for my favorite series but it adds so much to the game. there is a whole bunch of content and things to do in this DLC, especially awesome if you were a fan of liara.

WolfmanStarrk
08-06-2012, 04:01 PM
But regardless of gameplay, 1200 is the most I'd pay for an arcade title. That is where everyone should draw the line. An exception with a 1600 title is Minecraft because you can get hundreds of hours of play from it.

^ This right here. The price some for Downloadables is a little on the overkill side in my opinion and my income is limited as is with the usual slings and arrows of the wallet (Bills and what not). Paying 20 bucks for Minecraft on the other hand, that is one hell of a deal since as iBuzz said, you get literally thousands of hours worth of play out of the game. Plus the updates to compete with the PC version are free.

CHIRUNO99
08-06-2012, 04:13 PM
I see a lot of times DLC pricing gets out of hand, mostly Capcom/Namco, but for everything else it's fine. I really don't mind paying 1200MSP for games like Skullgirls, MvC2 or Castle Crashers since they're really good games. Of course the only reason CoD Map Packs are so expensive is because people are buying them.

It kind of makes sense when ok games are usually 800MSP and Mediocre games are usually 400MSP, and Dig-Dug is 200MSP.

OptimusPrime76
08-06-2012, 04:27 PM
Dlc is not over priced at all. What's over the top is peoples desire to want to play so much dlc. Like a lot of things in life dlc is not essential. You don't have to buy it. Peoples who say they are completionists it's not a disease and you don't HAVE to have 100% in every game.

I find this sort of question always comes up on games forums along with the old chestnut "the price of games is too expensive". Gaming is a hobby and like any hobby it's something to do in your spare time that entertains you. If it's more than that then you've got problems. Yes of course I'd like everything I spend my money on to be cheaper but life isn't like that.

People need to sit back and except they can't play every game that's released and they can't play every bit of Dlc. By keeping the price as it is you need to choose carefully what Dlc to buy. If it was cheap and you could buy whatever dlc you wanted then the quality would suffer as developers wouldn't need to put as much effort into it.

xbear352x
08-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Just like gas and most everything else you buy, it goes up in price. Luckily it's optional, unlike gas and most everything else you buy.

That's the best way to look at it. :)

THE DEADLY DOG
08-06-2012, 09:03 PM

Perfection. ;) Lol!

runswithscissors
08-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Most of it is too expensive, already paid enough for the game in the 1st place. Some is OK though

Warpath Wolf
08-07-2012, 06:34 PM
What's over the top is peoples desire to want to play so much dlc. Like a lot of things in life dlc is not essential. You don't have to buy it. Peoples who say they are completionists it's not a disease and you don't HAVE to have 100% in every game.

That's how I see it. A lot of people buy a lot of crappy games just because of gamerscore and complain about so many DLCs being released and they are so overpriced. I think most of them are, however, it doesn't affect me most of the time. I'm still only playing those games, which I enjoy, no matter how easy the gamerscore are or whatever so I don't really have a problem buying DLCs for those games. To the contrary I'm really excited in 99,99% of times when DLCs are released for my games.

Rasputini
09-25-2012, 04:23 AM
That's why you just check the weekly deals. EVENTUALLY what you want will be on sale. I suppose it all depends on how badly you want the dlc and how much it's worth to you.

MasterXeus
09-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Most of DLC is overprice. I ususally don't buy any DLC unless it's on sale.

The problem is most people just buy, doesn't matter the cost. It's new so they buy it. That's why the prices will continue to go up. The newest thing is Season Passes... Basically preordering the DLC for the game without knowing what it will be, except for the names and maybe some info.

Qonok
09-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Some DLC is overpriced. There are a few variations of overpriced DLC for me. Either it is for a game that has a small popularity base like Stranglehold's Map Pack is 1200 MSP.

Or the DLC is really short like ALL of the DLC for Saints Row the Third. Saints Row the Third is definitely the worst one I have seen for this. All of the DLC can be done in 45 minutes or less.

DLC needs to be priced according to the content of it. If it is 45 minutes then it should be 400 MSP or less. 4 to 5 hours for 800-1200 is fine for me.

Barad
09-25-2012, 02:10 PM
I only ever buy DLC on release if it's something I'vereally been waiting for otherwise I'll either wait for it to go on sale (Forza Porsche!) or just sell the game and stuff the DLC (Sleeping Dogs) examples.

gary55k
11-28-2012, 01:49 AM
I totally agree...Games like Mass Effect 3 have free DLC for the story mode and one for a price.But games like Call Of Duty, Halo, Gears, Battlefield, and e.t.c. are between 800/2100 microsoft points. Their too pricey to pay for.
its so bad now and you know they are only going 2 get alot higher i mean i dont mind paying 1500 - 2000 microsoft points if i know i am getting somthing good like a new game etc but 1200 for 3 or 4 maps for MP no thanks.

gary55k
11-28-2012, 01:50 AM
*Lair of the shadow broker* :)
i would've glady paid more for this DLC, not only is it for my favorite series but it adds so much to the game. there is a whole bunch of content and things to do in this DLC, especially awesome if you were a fan of liara.[/QUOTE]

Yea i liked that DLC was fun and told us alot

Dog Face
11-28-2012, 02:56 AM
I don't buy much DLC anymore for MP maps cause the cost for what you're getting isn't worth it most of the time.

I'd buy more arcade games but a lot more are releasing at 1200 MSP and just aren't worth it. If your game is releasing at 1200 MSP you better be a well established indie developer or a decent sized, well known developer making an arcade.
I was looking at RAW earlier. I was reading what the game was about, then looked at the screenshots then the price. While graphics don't always matter if you want me to fork at the highest price for an arcade [excluding Minecraft] you better have a nice looking game that runs smooth. For 1200 MSP I want a Shadow Complex, Trials HD/Evo, Castle Crashers, etc.

WalterWhite
11-28-2012, 07:03 AM
I disagree with you guys who are making map packs sound like the biggest rip off. If you buy a map pack you basically know what you're getting into. Chances are it's for a shooter and if you play that game alot I feel like you more than get your money's worth out of them. You should be potentially getting dozens of hours of playtime from a map pack, otherwise you shouldn't buy them if you don't play the game that much. With all of these fifteen dollar arcade games, you play a demo, it seems good and then you find out the game is a couple of hours long and has no replay value. Most single player DLC is the same way, some of the worst ones have been as short as thirty minutes or so and you never touch it again. I don't see map packs being the biggest offender of over-priced content.

Reidzer 1314
11-28-2012, 10:12 AM
The most I will pay for DLC is 1200msp.

Ideally I would love DLC to be priced at the 800msp mark.

incinerator950
11-28-2012, 05:45 PM
I disagree with you guys who are making map packs sound like the biggest rip off. If you buy a map pack you basically know what you're getting into. Chances are it's for a shooter and if you play that game alot I feel like you more than get your money's worth out of them. You should be potentially getting dozens of hours of playtime from a map pack, otherwise you shouldn't buy them if you don't play the game that much. With all of these fifteen dollar arcade games, you play a demo, it seems good and then you find out the game is a couple of hours long and has no replay value. Most single player DLC is the same way, some of the worst ones have been as short as thirty minutes or so and you never touch it again. I don't see map packs being the biggest offender of over-priced content.

I have a problem with this in ME3's MP, simply because they're using MT's to make money off instead of producing substantial quality maps, characters, and actual missions/new game modes.

Space Marine had some nice map packs and the skins were awesome, but that game population plummeted after each Title killer release.

Fire Hawk D
11-28-2012, 05:58 PM
I don't really see any issues in pricing at all. I mean, kudos to them if they can milk someone for 1200 MSP for a short experience before dropping the price further to increase purchases. That's no one's fault but the consumer's. Especially map packs. It's for the fans, and if they can get such high profits for something that would have been free only 10 or so years ago, good for them.

But, yeah, it all comes down to the individual. Is it (DLC or digital games) worth it? Do you buy it now or wait until a sale comes up? There's really no right or wrong here. No one's forcing you to get the content or game. The main thing to remember is that things like being "overpriced" and such are just opinion. While that DLC may seem outrageously priced, there are probably other (many more others) who think that price is just fine. And, if not, and sales are low, price drop (maybe, usually). The only fools are the ones (like me) who get any DLC connected to their game on Day 1 for the sole purpose of keeping the completion. =P

Oh, and those idiots who act like there's some kind of price-to-Gamerscore-given ratio. Those people are ignorant fools.

sleepydumbdude
11-28-2012, 06:38 PM
I don't mind the price some start out at but since the is no competition then they usually hardly go on sale or drop ever and just stick at that price forever. Which really sucks since it kills the all ready crappy online communities of some games that don't have a lot of people playig.
There have been so many pc version of games that I got the full game and dlc for the price ps3/xbox were charging for only the dlc. Doesn't work for exclusives though. :( I am over buying over priced dlc just for the achievements.
Unless it is multiplayer and multiplayer that I actually play a lot then I wait for a sale.

WalterWhite
11-28-2012, 08:57 PM
I have a problem with this in ME3's MP, simply because they're using MT's to make money off instead of producing substantial quality maps, characters, and actual missions/new game modes.

Space Marine had some nice map packs and the skins were awesome, but that game population plummeted after each Title killer release.

Well all of the microtransactions in Mass Effect 3 are completely optional and completely earnable for free if you put in the time to earn them. I know you already know this, I'm just pointing it out for the sake of conversation. The maps, weapons and characters have all been free, and speaking to their quality boils down to opinion. Personally, I liked them and think they have added alot to the multiplayer aspect of the game, especially the latest update that added challenges. My only gripe and/or confusion with that is the incredibly late-in-the-game timing of it all. I really don't think the overall quality of the multiplayer content would be improved had they charged for it. If anything, I think people would have been completely turned off by paying for it. Considering all the complaints and general hatred that people have with the multiplayer in Mass Effect as it is (some warranted, some not) I think keeping the multiplayer free was a sound move, politically.

Kairi
11-28-2012, 09:12 PM
I also think DLC can be too expensive sometimes. That's why I will tend to either wait for some type of addition that has the DLC or for it to go on sale,

Destro
11-28-2012, 09:19 PM
ARCACADE GAMES : I used to try and buy them regulary, especially old classics at 400 pts from my childhood. Now the arcade section is just a section for fully new games that are just too small to fit the 60$ range in store... I hate digital overall so i won't buy much anymore... I got a few in the latest years but very few... and more often than not i don't even check them if they are not a sequel to a game i loved(Like Bloodrayne Betrayal) or i made an exeption for Resident Evil Code Veronica for exemple. But overall when it comes to arcade im very picky now cause most game sell for 1200 pts wich in canada equal around 18 bucks... its too much.

DLC : Map Packs for game like GOW that i play so much i am ok to buy them, but i wish compagnies would create a line to not cross as exemple 200 pts per map, nothing more. I feel 800 pts for 3 maps is a bit expensive... but well for a game i play a lot online i will buy anyway. For the rest it depend... on solo games i rather wait for a box version. Most games with great DLC has them. Bot more or less often its not nessary DLC and i tend to simply not get it even if i liked the game. I aint much of a big solo game dude anyway to be honest.

TERMINATOR 2452
11-29-2012, 06:11 PM
i think if the games old knock the price down. Like call of duty 3 map packs there 800 ms points each but noone plays them anymore. Call of duty and battlefield 3 are charging way to much these day i wont buy the dlc. But i want it lol. :(

GalvanizedOtter
11-29-2012, 06:31 PM
I think everyone would buy DLC at 400msp. But as it is, I would rather not bother. The only DLC I purchased was Shivering Isles as it was on sale. I have the Fallout 3 GoTY, so no need to worry there. Even if it was cheap, it would still have to be worthy DLC.

Opiate42
11-29-2012, 07:15 PM

True that.

Damn, I miss the days where DLC add-ons was only 400-560 a pop. Dragon Age Origins... most DLC was 400 or 560 a piece with the exception of Awakenings which was a full scale expansion pack. Most of that older DLC was not much different in scope to what we pay 800-1200 for now.

Damn damn, actually had to struggle to remember that phrase before "DLC" was what it is, all this hoopla came as "expansion packs". Miss those days, expansion packs were huge amounts of content. Whole new games for the most part. Remember the expansions for the Ultima games took as many floppies and as long to play through as the game itself. Fucking awesome.

Seeker of the Deep for Lost Odyssey (rel: 2007) is one of the best deals. It adds a whole new dungeon (mind you a repetitive boring 25 floors of one) but has some truly crazy enemies to level up on in there, new items and a psycho hard boss to beat. The grand price tag on that:

80 points.

CuteTXKitty
11-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Personally I usually buy DLC when it's on sale for around half off, or at least a big cut. Sometimes if I'm really set on completing a game I will go ahead and buy them. Some I don't mind at all buying as I feel they are worth it. Some are wayyyy over-priced. For example, the new Mass Effect 3 DLC is ridiculous for what it is. Around $15 for 1-2 hours? That's a fourth of the full game's price so it should be worth a fourth of the game. No thanks, I'll wait.

I wanted to buy Faery for a long time. Finally I found it on sale and jumped on it. I was so happy until I played it. It was good I guess. For what I paid for it. Was it worth it's original price? No way.

CuteTXKitty
11-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Seeker of the Deep for Lost Odyssey (rel: 2007) is one of the best deals. It adds a whole new dungeon (mind you a repetitive boring 25 floors of one) but has some truly crazy enemies to level up on in there, new items and a psycho hard boss to beat. The grand price tag on that:

80 points.

Thank you for this heads up! Just bought it! :Bounce: Time to play more Lost Odyssey!

Opiate42
11-29-2012, 09:31 PM
Thank you for this heads up! Just bought it! :Bounce: Time to play more Lost Odyssey!

Enjoy!! :)

I was happy to find it too! New area to grind at least. Made it down to floor 25B but haven't dared try the boss yet, only in the 60's for level and from 15B onward I just fled every encounter, was getting demolished :p

The dungeon is in that landlocked lake near the entrance to the Kelolon Village. Dive in the Nautilus near the eastern end of the lake to find it, big ass tower like thing underwater.

I used all the immortals and Tolten mostly. Tolten has absorb guard. Arm everyone with that anti-petrify skills/items too. Very handy for the first few floors when Soul Absorb and All-Stonus get tossed at you like candy on halloween.

No save point though, save on the Boa before going in. There's an elevator back to the entrance every 5 floors if you need to escape.

KayDotPee
11-29-2012, 10:03 PM
I Would Buy MORE points if it was Cheaper Of course .. But At the same Time in Order for Something to Be cheaper they Will Raise it somewhere Else ..

Braiiins
11-29-2012, 10:46 PM
I usually buy online dlc around when it's released because I'd like to be able to enjoy it for a while/get achievements before online deminishes. If it's single player I'll buy if if I really like the game, if not I wait for discounts.

For arcade games I'll buy it if I really enjoy it if it's under 1200 points. If it's 1200 it has to be REALLY good or I wait for discounts.

I think if a game (like deadlight that has been mentioned) is long enough and well done it's worth the full price. I've paid for retail games that I didn't enjoy as much as deadlight, the only good thing about that is if you buy it used then you can usually return it.