PDA

View Full Version : Who the heck makes the pegi ratings?

MrStabby1981
08-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Seriously Mass effect 1 was rated for 12 year olds under the BBFC but its an 18 under pegi but sniper elite is 16.

Mass Effect 1 has no blood but sniper elite has x ray tesicle shots and crap do they just spin a wheel or somthing?

PeterK2012
08-03-2012, 10:06 PM
The worst thing is - the PEGI ratings are now officially law, replacing the BBFC ratings (which I actually preferred) not too long ago.

A quick glance at the PEGI tells us that it's a organisation that is part of another company who is a part of the European Union. Looking at their website, it appears the decision to give Mass Effect 3 a 18 certificate was done by the people at Video Standards Council (VSC). I'd bet a fiver on the 18 certificate was being done for the lulz at VSC. :biglaugh

I remember the VSC used to pop up on old VHS films tapes, 'teaching' us about the different ratings the BBFC had (U, PG, 12, etc).

That's not it, for the kid-friendly games - the ratings are done by NICAM, a company based in the Netherlands. The PEGI website are good for if you're looking for a laugh:

www.pegi.info (http://www.pegi.info)

MrStabby1981
08-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Ha yeah still have tapes with that on. It's a sad day when the BBFC is concidered tame back in then 80s they were notorious for hacking apart movies. Which are only now getting released uncensored. You'll be old enough to remember the old Uc rating which fell bellow U ?

PEGI better release GTA5 in all it's glory or I'm gonna be pissed off.

iBuzz7S
08-03-2012, 11:18 PM
One of you change your avatar. Too much confusion! :p

I would of suggested that being in a PAL region, you could import said game from somewhere else, but Australia is a lot worse than the UK so chances are, you will get a far more edited game. :p

Rating boards worldwide are a joke. What is suitable for a 15 year old in one game, won't be suitable for a 15 year old in another game, even though the execution is identical.

PeterK2012
08-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Man, 'Uc' brought back some memories for me! I had a couple of videos, cartoons and one Popeye cartoon tape. I also remember the 'E' classification, had several wrestling tapes with that rating. I remember back when the BBFC was notorious they had (I think): E, Uc, U, PG, 15, 18 and 18R.

I think the Uc certificate was merged with U and I haven't seen a E certificate for years. I would also wager the big film studios are putting pressure on the BBFC now to let 'things slide' so they can market more '12A' films.

Now it's unheard for the BBFC to hand out a 'R', when Mary Whitehouse was around - watch out! They're pretty much useless, only asking for 'minor cuts' to be made and you now have a brand new certificate.

I would put money on PEGI letting GTA 5 be released uncut with a bloody big '18' red square on the cover and all sorts of 'advice' logos on the back of the case. I really hope that is the case.

iBuzz7S, I remember reading a while ago that Australia was introducing the 18+ ratings? If that is true then you should be able to get GTA 5 uncut? If that isn't the case, someone needs to have a word with the politicans lol!

I'll get around to changing my avatar, I have a nasty habit of being lazy lol :biglaugh Gonna do that as soon I find something that I like hehe.

Tsaako
08-03-2012, 11:42 PM
Personally doesn't bother me. I'm 21.

:kanye:

iBuzz7S
08-04-2012, 12:12 AM
iBuzz7S, I remember reading a while ago that Australia was introducing the 18+ ratings? If that is true then you should be able to get GTA 5 uncut? If that isn't the case, someone needs to have a word with the politicans lol!

I'll get around to changing my avatar, I have a nasty habit of being lazy lol :biglaugh Gonna do that as soon I find something that I like hehe.

Yes sir, you are right. Australia did introduce the R18+ rating and it looks like it becomes effective on the 1st of January, 2013.

And you didn't have to change your avatar. :p

Tsargrad
08-04-2012, 01:23 AM
It'd blow being a 13 year old these days trying to buy a game, with all these ratings.

As a kid Mortal Kombat got hit with a 15+ age when I was 14 1/2, first game to have such a thing, and it blew (thankfully mum was uninformed), but no consistency for kids now.

Glad Australia now as an 18+ but I sense it'll just relocated some MA 15+ rather than releasing other stuff uncensored.

Doesn't make sense with PEGI / UK on Mass Effect though.

SilentStrike011
08-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Makes no odds to me, I'm 21 but can someone please tell me how The Saboteur only has an age rating of 15, it's more explicit than GTA with swearing and sexual content :/

Gamerdude5448
08-04-2012, 06:31 AM
Mass Effect 1 has no blood but sniper elite has x ray tesicle shots and crap do they just spin a wheel or somthing?

Mass Effect 1 has sexual content and partial nudity. It's not just the violence they are worryed about.

DEG23
08-04-2012, 09:23 AM
I think there is supposed to be some sort of criteria but i swear the people who rate games are beyond subjective. Living in Australia it amazes me how some games get banned yet others that to me seem much more inappropriate get rated 15+.

I understand this makes it difficult for parents who have to rely on ratings if they don't know much about games but as for us gamers i say who cares. If you aren't old enough to get your hands on 18+, just import;)

MrStabby1981
08-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Mass Effect 1 has sexual content and partial nudity. It's not just the violence they are worryed about.

yeah but a jump from a 12 cert to an 18 cert is a big jump and very worrying for future games.

pandaliamcod6
08-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Its commonsensemedia.com

They give an explanation of why the game/film is rated what it is.

They're really sensitive. i.e compalining about the amount of cleavage in Final Fantasy.

MrStabby1981
08-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Its commonsensemedia.com

They give an explanation of why the game/film is rated what it is.

They're really sensitive. i.e compalining about the amount of cleavage in Final Fantasy.

Ha i love complaints like than then i turn on the TV and see men and women in peak condition in very tight skimpy clothing doing sports.

ChickinOnaChain
08-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Personally doesn't bother me. I'm 21.

:kanye:
Me to! ;).

I'd never heard of this rating system until I saw some videos and I still don't know who they are.

Burnout x360a
08-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Can't say i'm too bothered being 19 but still age ratings are a strange thing.

Nothing will change regardless of what they do, you will still see little jimmy getting the latest and greatest 18 rated title courtesy of his mother.

Ps1082
08-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Pegi supposed to make thing easier and less confusing for parents...even though most parents will buy their children a game regardless of its content!

Walecs360
08-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Pegi rated Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie E as Everyone, despite both being full of sexual innuendos.

Akuza
08-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Doesn't bother me.

If your old enough to buy both games why let it bother you?

CHIRUNO99
08-04-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm just thinking, if you're over 18, is it really necessary to complain about it?

PeterK2012
08-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Yes sir, you are right. Australia did introduce the R18+ rating and it looks like it becomes effective on the 1st of January, 2013.

And you didn't have to change your avatar. :p

No worries, had a good laugh about the avatar, as soon I find the 'perfect' one, it's going up - gotta meet my exact standards lol.

It's good to hear the R18+ is happening, a victory for common sense. Thumbs up on that one.

CHIRUNO99, I agree with you - I'm 27 myself but sometimes in life you come across something baffling and you just have to talk about it - a bit like the health & safety overload lol. Something that leaves you head-scratching and wonder how on earth it got passed in law?

Sometimes I wonder if it is for real or if it's politicans playing some sort of game and you end up looking for signs if Jeremy Beadle are somewhere waiting to pop up and yell 'Beadle's About!' even though he is no longer with us. Know what I mean?

What the politicans need to do next is educate the parents on what the PEGI logos means and hopefully we'll see them buying suitable games for their kids. The Government also added the stipulation if you are caught selling games to under-age, it's a heavy fine - though if they will enforce it? Who knows lol?

Shaman
08-09-2012, 07:44 AM
Because when pegi turns 17+ into 12+ more people would be able to buy it so the companies and what not make more money from them ;D

VladimirK
08-09-2012, 11:13 PM

Yeah, god forbid innocent teenagers that obviously still think the stork bring babies to good, religious, male+female (and I clearly mean that as what you were born as, none of this perverted trans* stuff!) couples and disgusting council estate harlots by mistake are exposed to sick filth such as fantasy partially nudity and sex!

You know what? 18 is too low for this filth, it should be banned altogether!

Haha, fuck right off.
Age ratings like this are a joke.
Now here's a crazy idea, how about we don't try and shield kids from this stuff but instead show them it and explain it to them? Obviously not explaining a donkey punch to a five year old but don't make it some big taboo thing, it's fucking natural and this overly-protective bullshit is just that - bullshit.

Also another problem for me with this, if it was just violence would it still get that rating or is it just another case of dinosaurs that have out-dated views getting all bent out of shape about sex?
'Oh, boy, we're cool to stick this violent action fiction at a 15, but oh, sweet Jesus! Is that some titties? We'd better make this filth an 18, can't let people think a natural (including Asari or Quarian or whatever) thing such as a body or sex is okay!'

Skillet
08-09-2012, 11:19 PM
What does it matter? Nobody listens to ratings anyway...