PDA

View Full Version : So let's pretend I let my gold membership lapse...

ShazamFTW
08-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Mainly because I want to induce a deal out of Microsoft, and won't mind a few days of silver to gamble.

Will this reset my tenure number as far as years?

JAW LV
08-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Mainly because I want to induce a deal out of Microsoft, and won't mind a few days of silver to gamble.

I'm not sure if your tenure number will reset but one thing I do know is that M$ is not going to cave in to your demands :p

ShazamFTW
08-06-2012, 09:30 PM
I've read people posting about how they get e-mails as sort of "winback" offers with discounted rates. Enough people said it where I figure it's worth a shot.

stefb42
08-06-2012, 09:37 PM
i always wait for a dashboard deal on my gold,most common deals i get are 2 months for £6 or 3 months for £7.50, my tenure the last time i checked was 4 so i don't think it resets,can take a few weeks for the deal you want to appear on the dashboard,dashboard deals tend to be better than emailed deals

AmbaLaBamba
08-06-2012, 09:40 PM
It wont reset, when you get the next round of gold it will just go up by another +1. :)

AOS Puck
08-06-2012, 09:41 PM
From what I've heard, it takes two weeks as Silver to reset your counter.

Rapture639
08-06-2012, 09:48 PM
From what I've heard, it takes two weeks as Silver to reset your counter.

Really? I thought your counter just stopped at whatever year you were and started up again when you get got gold again.

Rivercurse
08-06-2012, 09:52 PM
Don't think I've ever met anyone who held any store by their number of years tenure on live.

Spanish Assault
08-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Seems like everyone does deals on live when I dont have to renew. Since I renewed in April I've seen 3 deals of $39.95 for xbox live.

mrj3d
08-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Seems like everyone does deals on live when I dont have to renew. Since I renewed in April I've seen 3 deals of $39.95 for xbox live.

This always seems to happen to me as well lol.

RuYi
08-06-2012, 11:38 PM

It shouldn't. I only get a Gold subscription when I have a game I wish to play online; this is uncommon, so I usually settle with a three month subscription, which is turned into Silver until the next time I feel like playing online again.
I have my Xbox for over four years now, and I've been on silver for months several times, but it never reset the gold to 0 years.

CHIRUNO99
08-07-2012, 07:21 AM
Tenure doesn't really make any difference besides a number of how many consecutive years you've had gold. As far as I'm concerned it's not that big of a deal so just keep an eye out as silver for any decent gold deals.

AceBD
08-07-2012, 08:49 AM
I let my gold slip to silver for a few months, as I had really crappy internet where I lived. It was so bad that online gaming was just frustrating.

I just moved, got good internet, renewed my gold, and my tenure is right where it left off.

niko da bos
08-07-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm not sure if your tenure number will reset but one thing I do know is that M$ is not going to cave in to your demands :p

lol that was my thoughts, im sure they make plenty of money as is without begging customers to stay;).

whats a tenure number?:confused:
like the number of consecutive years you've been with somebody, kind of like work?

xKRAIZEEMANx
08-07-2012, 02:36 PM
It will not lapse, I let mine go to silver for several months (Due to RL stuff) and it picked right up where I left off, and even changes on the first day I ever signed up for gold (annually, of course).

This is from Major Nelson's Blog (LINK (http://majornelson.com/2009/08/12/xbox-live-tenure/))
Q. The article online says that if I had a 14 day break in my Gold account status, my tenure would reset! Is that true?
A. There is no “14 day gap in service” rule anymore. This was the original way tenure was calculated but we changed it. The KB article will be updated soon.

whats a tenure number?:confused:
It is a number indicating how many years you have been a member of Xbox Live. It only shows up when you have a Gold account. It will be a number next to Gamertag on your profile.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3572/3813040155_0a383df354_m.jpg
A little dated look, but it gets the point across.

ChickinOnaChain
08-07-2012, 02:53 PM
A couple of years ago, I let mine go Silver for about a month and when I renewed it, I hadn't lost any tenure. I had a friend do the same thing and he didn't lose any time.

Burnout x360a
08-07-2012, 02:54 PM
You don't lose the tenure, it is 'frozen' when you are Silver I believe.

AOS Puck
08-07-2012, 03:12 PM
It will not lapse, I let mine go to silver for several months (Due to RL stuff) and it picked right up where I left off, and even changes on the first day I ever signed up for gold (annually, of course).

This is from Major Nelson's Blog (LINK (http://majornelson.com/2009/08/12/xbox-live-tenure/))
Q. The article online says that if I had a 14 day break in my Gold account status, my tenure would reset! Is that true?
A. There is no “14 day gap in service” rule anymore. This was the original way tenure was calculated but we changed it. The KB article will be updated soon.

It is a number indicating how many years you have been a member of Xbox Live. It only shows up when you have a Gold account. It will be a number next to Gamertag on your profile.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3572/3813040155_0a383df354_m.jpg
A little dated look, but it gets the point across.

Thanks for that, I knew there used to be a two week rule but it looks like that is gone now.

ShazamFTW
08-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Okay, so the ole' membership has officially expired.

Where does one find a "Dashboard Deal" if one appears? Not quite sure where I should be looking.

StayonTarget
08-24-2012, 10:51 PM
Yes. It will. If you go to silver for any amount of time, your tenure resets.

Der Fuhrer
08-24-2012, 10:54 PM

Where does one find a "Dashboard Deal" if one appears? Not quite sure where I should be looking.My friend just bought 1 month for a dollar, not sure where you go for it though.

ModernSith2010
08-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Sometimes I do the dash deals but normally there are none around when I run out, but what I do, do is get the promotion cards, 1 year I got 12 month+1(cant remember what that was linked to) for about £30 and last year I got the Gears 3 promotion of 12month+2 plus a skin or something for £32

Mister Spraggsy
08-24-2012, 11:40 PM
Your tenure just gets frozen basically and continues when you're account turns gold again.

phoenix029
08-25-2012, 08:36 AM
What happens when you let gold lapse is you will get a crappy gold offer on the home page of the dash (one of the offers in the middle). The offer gets better the longer you leave it though it can take over a month to get a better offer. Eventually you get £1/£2 live for 1/2 months or a games + live bundle offer though as I said you will have to wait it out.

bros 1337
08-25-2012, 09:00 AM
i found this (http://www.livecheap360codes.com/) site looking for a good deal and just bought me a 1 year cheaper then most and you can use paypal

jacobite
08-26-2012, 10:31 AM

Where does one find a "Dashboard Deal" if one appears? Not quite sure where I should be looking.

Dashboard on your xbox would be a good place to start :)

Check the email associated with your account, they will be mailing you with offers soon, I get them fairly regularly, tho I've still not been tempted so far

k3ndykane
08-27-2012, 05:30 PM
I got an email from Best Buy last week, for 12 months of Live for $30 (half price). I also had earned a $20 certificate from them, so I grabbed a year for $10 :D

xTGMx INF3RNO
08-27-2012, 05:42 PM
counter stops at silver then just carries on when your gold again

HerBravado
09-02-2012, 01:31 AM
I've lapsed into a silver membership many a time--my counter has never reset. Ugh, kind of annoyed that I never got a dashboard deal last time. Usually I do get something, but after 3 weeks being Silver, nothing. Went ahead & paid for Gold anyway.

xD

PMS Green1Chaos
09-02-2012, 08:54 AM
I've gone silver several times and the numbers never reset.I just got a hold of a 12 month card that I redeemed and last checked, 3 years before 2012.4 years a few months after the start of January.

gamerguy69
09-03-2012, 06:49 PM
I recently reverted to a Silver membership on August 19th. My tenure was at 5. :)

I'm confident it WILL NOT reset when I get back to Gold status. I'm also part of the new dashboard beta -- with IE and I have yet to see any kind of dashboard deal.

I'm mainly looking for a short term, 1-month FREE or $1 or $2.

TVthePunisher
09-03-2012, 08:14 PM
I got my Xbox in 2007, didn't Gold right away but I did eventually get the montly deal until about May of 2008. Then I didn't have Gold for a very, very long time. I may have bought a 3 month subscription card every now and then but that's it maximum. It wasn't until around Christmas of 2010 that I got a 1 year, then I did the same for 2011.

Needless to say, through all the jumbled crap...I have the number 3 on my tag. So I believe it does freeze when you go to Silver. And it feels like the 3 months accumulate into there somehow as well because I only had Gold for 5-6 months on a monthly deal between 2007 and 2008...then I've only bought 2 1-year subscriptions. There was a bit of a break in renewal for Gold too. Obviously from 5 years, 2 years are absent...that's both when my first xbox died and then when I sold my second Xbox.