PDA

View Full Version : Controller durability

Hoel
09-08-2007, 10:20 PM
Its not that long ago I picked up my Xbox 360 and I was wondering about the durability of the controllers.

I have had a couple of consoles earlier and Ive allways used my controllers "up" and they might not sell them anymore :( (RIP Sega Master II).

So how is the 360 controllers ? Do they last long and have you changed any off yours yet ?

Software2
09-08-2007, 10:30 PM
I noticed one of my controllers' right analog sticks is starting to wear down, so that if you hold it in just the right spot it'll stick there and your character will keep moving in that direction... I'm hoping it's only because I dropped that controller one too many times.

VaRIABLE SoUL
09-08-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm still using the original controller that came with the system when i bought it a year and a half ago. it still works great even with many long hours of Gears Multiplayer :P

I'm getting tired of buying double A batteries tho so i'm gonna pick up a play-and-charge kit (or whatever they're called). I heard they work really well

Hoel
09-08-2007, 10:37 PM
Yeah the play'n'charge kits are awesome. Got one myself and can not imagine not having one.

LongJon
09-08-2007, 11:53 PM
I've just picked up a black one as I fancied it,and while the analogue sticks do feel alot 'fresher',the triggers,buttons and everything else about the pad is the same as my 18 month old white one.I do treat mine well though,and I've noticed a friends A button sticks like crazy.Probably just through a mixture of over-use and grime though.

Skillet
09-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Mine fell from a...maybe 5 feet high hutch on a desk and still works perfectly...just with a black scuff on the end of one of the little wing handles.

The only other problem is the little rubber bumps on the thumb sticks are wearing down. The one on the left stick is almost completely gone and I've only had the thing for a year... You can buy stick on grips from GameStop though.

EDIT: LongJon...have your friend dip a cotton swab in alcohol and rub it around the edge of the A button...it won't hurt if some alcohol seeps down into the controller...

Make sure to have the battery out so it doesn't turn on and leave it sitting upside down for at least 12 hours.

My neice spilled some Root Beer on my controller once making the A, B and Y buttons stick and this was a great fix. Worked like new and the alcohol does not hurt the controller in any way. Just be sure it sits long enough to dry and it'll be fine.

Tiamat66
09-09-2007, 12:27 AM
The Microsoft controllers are pretty durable, but the Madcatz controllers that they sell in Gamestop don't hold up too well. I dropped one from less then 2 feet, and the left analog stick now goes up even if I'm pushing downwards on it. I'd avoid them.

bosInFusioN
09-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Microsoft controllers are awesome, still using the original two from about a year ago when I got my 360. Not to mention I drop them at least once a day...

matthewaburns
09-09-2007, 01:02 AM
Mine holds up good to everyday wear and tear and temper tantrums. The real test will be flying 10000 miles in superman, I'm so mad I'm about to wing the controller out in the street...lol

Jdm
09-09-2007, 03:13 AM
My first Premium, of course came with a Wireless Controller. It was pretty sturdy until it hit the 1 year mark. The Left Analog Stick was loose and you can really tell during certain game play.

Ex: You can see that the controller was defective in FPS games and Sport games. The "aimer" would slowly start moving to the left without anyone touching the controller.

BlaZiN cdn
09-09-2007, 03:42 AM
I find the controllers are quite durable, although I've recently noticed the case on my wireless controller is starting to seperate (probably from me dropping it)

Mad Mike 724
09-09-2007, 05:04 AM
Ive gone through 14(wired, wireless, and both Microsoft and off brand). My anger got 9 but all the offbrand ones had power problems.

matthewaburns
09-09-2007, 05:40 AM
I find the controllers are quite durable, although I've recently noticed the case on my wireless controller is starting to seperate (probably from me dropping it)

Anger Mangement is the key to happy gaming my friend!

lostmotiv
09-09-2007, 07:01 AM
i recently lost one of my 360 controllers. A dirty disc error popped up about 4 hrs into a game (being an idiot i hadent saved) so i lost all of that work. I grabbed the controller in frusteration and threw it at the couch (i actually threw it at the couch with the whole intention that the couch was soft and wouldnt break the controller). Did i mention my aim sucks? i managed to hit the one hard wood part of the couch which pretty much destroyed the controller. The right analogue stick broke off, the right bumper twisted inside the controller and the plastic cracked all down the back.

needless to say the next time something like that occured i threw a pillow.

stompdown
09-09-2007, 03:18 PM
the one and only perfectly built indestructable controller was the NES controller. Mine went to hell and back many times and survived without a scratch.