PDA

View Full Version : Shooting and melee achievements, are they cumulative?

Baryonyx
08-12-2012, 05:42 PM
As above, it seems that they are not cumulative in SH3 (I finished my first game with 74 melee kills and had to do another run killing 75 enemies all over again).

But what about in SH2? I've recently got the achievement for killing 75 enemies in hand to hand combat and I'm starting to using my pistol now, but it seems very weak (upwards of 20 bullets to kill a dark nurse if you don't soften them with melee weapons first!). It would be handy if the kill count carried over!

Or would I be better off just playing on easy next time and using my guns more there?

Nathan LS27
08-13-2012, 06:38 PM
The stats for kills are reset each time you start another play-through unfortunately :(

Baryonyx
08-15-2012, 03:18 PM
It seems that it is not necessary that they do. I've completed my first run of SH2 on normal and got both achievements in one run, as follows:

1) Melee killing everything that got in my way until the first achievement popped, including the three lying figures in the apartment pool. The 75 melee kills achievement unlocked in the hospital.

2) If you crack on with your shooting kills from there you should get the achievement with ease before the end of the game. I was pretty lax with my shooting, skipping many of the enemies wandering the 'night time' Silent Hill after leaving the hospital, on the way to the Historical Society. I also never bothered kill any of the mandarins. I was also killing by shooting enemies to the ground and continuing to fire, and ammo was never really an issue. Between the shotgun and the pistol I was able to take on all comers with a healthy buffer of ammo left in stock without ever having to touch my rifle prior to the last two boss fights.

If you want three easy kills to add to your gun tally, just pull on one of the wrong ropes in the Toluca Prison 'hanged man' puzzle. Three lying figures will spawn in the tight hallway, where a couple of shotgun shells will tear them to pieces.

Neme6ben
08-31-2012, 08:09 PM
I didn't get 75 kills by shooting too, in both games, the melee achievement is a gimme though, I'll have to start another game and focus on shooting all the enemies with my pistol, while beating the bosses with the shotgun or the riffle