PDA

View Full Version : What control type do you use?

Prok
08-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Curious to see what type of controls everyone uses for this since there is a good variety and a lot of people seem to be using different stuff.

For now I am using LB+RB to switch tracks and the analogue sticks to play notes.

The Freakish scheme seemed good, but I've kinda learned the original type into my brain so might try to learn Freakish to see if it works.

iTz WaffleS v2
08-31-2012, 09:01 AM
I actually just messed with these controls.. like 20 mins ago.. I changed to freakish.. I am able to do faster notes in solos and double taps more efficiently.. I strongly suggest the freakish setting. It becomes easier to interchange lanes, hit fast notes, and get great BRE points.

mightysleigher
09-01-2012, 05:43 AM
For some strange reason, I started with the Bumper controls (not sure what it's actually called) with RT+LT to switch tracks and RB+LB for notes.
It just seemed to make sense to my brain with how things should work.

After having played at least 50 songs, since I just got the 50 unique achievement, this scheme works so far. Sometimes it can hurt to hold the controller that way after a long session esp with some dense songs. I think it works nice for solos to tilt the controller straight up to focus more on the bumpers - since there's no switching.

Just my two cents :)

DROGTURIST
09-01-2012, 06:25 AM
I haven't made the switch myself yet, but high-level players on the net are saying that Freakish is the only way to go if you want to gold-star songs. It's the only one that can jump multiple lanes at once.

Which does beg the question... Why couldn't they allow other control schemes to do that? By double-tapping the button, for example.

FlackoWeasel
09-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Right now I have used LT+RT for switxching lanes and left trigger + A, but fast noes is damn hard to hit with the trigger. I look what is freakish controls.

Didi Mau
09-01-2012, 05:52 PM
I chose Iron Maiden as the band I'd do 10 unique songs with, and after a million LLR gallops I've learnt the default control isn't good enough for me. I'm having a hard time deciding what to pick over it but I think freakish is the way to go, though they all feel kinda awkward at the moment after I've done so many songs in default.

Felonious Monk
09-01-2012, 06:01 PM
I haven't made the switch myself yet, but high-level players on the net are saying that Freakish is the only way to go if you want to gold-star songs. It's the only one that can jump multiple lanes at once.

Which does beg the question... Why couldn't they allow other control schemes to do that? By double-tapping the button, for example.

I use normal and have no problem double tapping. :confused:

I'm going to get my hori ex2 back and try to use it with typewriter or some other config.

Using analog sticks didn't feel right with my timing so when using standard config I've been using A+d-pad. Painful.

stubbscroll
09-01-2012, 07:22 PM
I used the default controls for the first 150 songs or so (D-pad to hit left note, A to hit right note, bumpers/triggers to change track), but I had problems hitting the RLL patterns in fast solos, plus my left thumb became sore. Also, my d-pad is a bit dodgy and it would sometimes overstrum or not register a hit.

I changed to freakish (LB and RB to hit notes, analogue sticks to change tracks) and I played better after only 1-2 songs and I can suddenly hit all solos except the fastest and most complex ones. I also find it much easier now to precisely change lanes without breaking combo even in the middle of a note sequence.

The freakish control scheme has definitely helped me get some of the harder gold stars such as Diamond eyes.

lozerbick
09-02-2012, 02:56 PM
I set the controls to "Freakish" and I'm playing with a wired arcade stick. I'm finding it a lot easier than the default controller because somewhere between the lag settings and the wireless controller, a lot of my notes weren't being detected.

Felonious Monk
09-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Well that seals it. I'm getting my arcade stick back if it makes that big of a difference.

DeadRisingBully
09-02-2012, 09:28 PM
The Frequency and Amplitude way, baby! FREAKISH!!

Duke Of Twiggy
09-03-2012, 07:35 PM
I've just switched to Typewriter and found that a massive improvement for me over standard. Might give freakish a look though if it's so polular :)

L1E
09-03-2012, 10:45 PM
Yeah, I've used Freakish since the very beginning and was able to gold star all 25 songs with it.

I think that most useful aspect of it is that you can alternate with the triggers and bumpers. So, if a LLR gallop is coming up, you can just hit LB with your index finger, LT with your middle finger, and then RT/RB (whichever you prefer). Basically, it doubles that speed you can play without upping the fatigue of pressing the same note repeatedly.

And you can switch two lanes at once (or even three, if you press the D-pad at the same time), which can be extremely helpful. I don't think you can really beat the Freakish control scheme.

The only problem I've had every once in a while is hitting the left analog stick, and then the track jumps between the track I wanted to switch to and then back to the original track. But, that's a problem with the controller and not the game.

Anyways, use Freakish.

agentnnc
09-04-2012, 12:59 AM
I stick with default. My ideal control style would be sort of a one sided variant of typewriter so I can use both thumbs. I would have RB to switch left and RT to switch right, X for powerups, A for left, B for right.

Thomas001122
09-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Until a few days ago I used default. Now I have to use freakish. Something in my wrist popped and my thumb and two of my fingers on my left hand are too slow. :mad:

Freakish helps a lot(I can actually play it)but it has hurt my scores. I'm 5/gold starring 99 percent of the songs but my scores aren't as good. I still have to use one of the slower than normal fingers.

Songs like Panic Attack are impossible to even five star with my hand in this condition. Before it would have been an easy gold star.

Felonious Monk
09-08-2012, 04:55 AM
Was using Freakish on my stick just a few minutes ago, but where my LT and RT buttons are made for some frustrating stretching when going for powerup. Switched to typewriter and with my elbow making a 90 degree angle it might actually work better.

Having to retrain my brain for "left/right" to mean "index/middle right hand" instead of "left thumb/right thumb".

My stick, for those that care:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Xbox-360-EX2-Arcade-style-fight-stick-controller-Tekken-Street-Fighter-LOOK-/00/s/NzY4WDExOTA=/$%28KGrHqZ,%21pwF%21L34ENQUBQD,M2OgPQ%7E%7E60_12.J PG
Don't know if that pic will stay up after it's delisted.

jpw21683
09-09-2012, 03:23 PM
The Frequency and Amplitude way, baby! FREAKISH!!
Agreed! As a player of both games, I immediately set the controls to FREAKISH in Blitz.

Or should it be called FREQ-ISH? :)

ShootyJuice
09-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Default for me , only got one more song to gold star , Shout :(

Korahn
09-10-2012, 04:26 AM
I use Default. I tried Freakish and just couldn't get used to it. Perhaps the bumpers just aren't that responsive on my controller to catch the notes. not familiar with that being the Frequency, Amplitude style - I always used square, triangle, circle for those.