PDA

View Full Version : What Have People Come To?

SaphireCurve
09-08-2012, 07:48 PM
so I was looking down at the achievement list post and I saw that people are not buying the game cause they can't get all the achievements?WTF!? I think it's beyond retarted that someone won't buy a game cause the can't 100% it, I used to be like that but then I said f*** it. Remeber when you bought games YOU like cause YOU want to have fun?:(

Nevander
09-08-2012, 08:18 PM
I don't really think that people are to blame, personally I blame the achievement system. Back when games didn't have them, you could play the same game for years and never get bored because there was NOTHING to do, while at the same time, there was SO MUCH to do. If that makes sense.

Now with achievements, most people will say "well I can do those quickly or those are too hard to get" and stuff like that. It really took the fun and such out of games, in my opinion. That's why I prefer really easy achievements so that they don't ruin the experience as much, achievements for doing simple tasks much like Minecraft's list. The only reason I've gotten bored of that game is because the 1.8 update is taking ages to come out.

Personally I have never not bought a game because of achievements, I mainly don't buy games because of this reason; I don't like the game or don't care for it. I have, however, returned games because I couldn't complete it (and didn't like it that much to be honest) and I have stopped playing some games because of the achievements.

Every once in a while though, I do go back and play certain games that I like as a game but I have not completed. Perfect example is Mirror's Edge. I love the game as a game in itself, I mean free running and parkour in first person? That's badass. The achievements are quite hard and I can't even get close to completing it, but the game is good enough that I can look past not having it completed.

Now of course I do try to get all the achievements in every game I play and I used to get a little butthurt by not having a game completed, but I'm past that. If I don't complete it, then man what a sad story lol. It doesn't really bother me anymore. Just like this game, I went in thinking I might be able to do 5,000 games, but now I realize I won't any time soon; not that I couldn't though. But this didn't stop me from buying the game because I love CS, way better than CoD for sure.

So in conclusion, it really comes down to achievements that ruined some games to me. Most games achievements are more centered towards doing everything in the game, whereas they need to be more like Skyrim's list or Minecraft's list where even having the game done still leaves plenty of things to do to keep you busy and playing the game months on end afterwards.

All of this is just my opinion of course as a gamer since 1994.

CHIRUNO99
09-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Gamers once again spoilt by the shiny new things.

i fist brown i
09-09-2012, 09:31 AM
so I was looking down at the achievement list post and I saw that people are not buying the game cause they can't get all the achievements?WTF!? I think it's beyond retarted that someone won't buy a game cause the can't 100% it, I used to be like that but then I said f*** it. Remeber when you bought games YOU like cause YOU want to have fun?:(

Just wanted to point out the way you spelled retarded. Oh, the irony!

Not buying a game you like because of achievements is so dumb. I can see being upset with the achievements though.

Play 5000 matches is a crazy achievement, mainly because they force you to play boring game-types.

Funny, ppl would even go out of their way on the achievements (5000 matches).

REfan001
09-10-2012, 06:24 AM
the achievements in this game arent hard, just time consuming

DROGTURIST
09-10-2012, 07:42 AM
People on xbox360achievements.org care about achievements. This is quite a shocking discovery indeed.

CHIRUNO99
09-10-2012, 08:20 AM
People on xbox360achievements.org care about achievements. This is quite a shocking discovery indeed.
The funniest thing is, there are people on here, who don't.

iBuzz7S
09-10-2012, 08:34 AM
The funniest thing is, there are people on here, who don't.
Like myself. Well, not as much as others do anyway.

warrenpaul
09-10-2012, 05:40 PM
I would of bought this game even if it didn't have achievement, well worth it

Nevander
09-10-2012, 09:02 PM
I really do wish though that our list was the same as the PS3's. Ours are a tad ridiculous.

DR3AMxCATCHER
09-10-2012, 11:41 PM
I would of bought this game even if it didn't have achievement, well worth it

I couldn't of said it more than myself. However, if I was so hung up on getting Seriously 3.0 I would probably be playing it a lot more than I have.

DROGTURIST
09-11-2012, 06:51 AM
The funniest thing is, there are people on here, who don't.I'll do you one better; there are even some people on this site who are actively hostile against achievements and achievement hunters. I'll never understand that one.

I really do wish though that our list was the same as the PS3's. Ours are a tad ridiculous.Oh wow, I just checked... Their list can be done in a couple of nights of regular play, or like 10 minutes of boosting. Who the hell thought that made sense; 10 minutes versus 150 hours?

Infernal
09-12-2012, 04:56 PM
the thing is the achievement aren't even that time consuming, if you boost it correctly you can finish this game in a week, i did it in like 2-3 weeks but i didn't even play the game during the week. It's a great game though and I'll continue to play it even after I finished it :)

fallout frank
09-13-2012, 12:32 PM
I have based purchases off of the achievements before, but only if the game looks allright. If Im really looking forward to a game I will buy it regardless of achievements, but if it just looks allright I will usually refer to the achievemets.

A perfect example being dark souls, the game (to me) doesn't look that great, it looks o.k, if the achievements were a little easier/less time consuming I would have bought it then traded it back in once I had finished it, but because of the amount of time it would have taken to finish, I would have lost to much money on it so I never bothered.

Smoochy
09-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Like myself.

Ditto. I literally have one game on my GT that is 100% (The Avatar game, because a friend of mine wanted to give me easy GS).

I buy games because I want to play them, not for the achievements. If I get an achievement, it's cool and all, but I don't go out of my way to get them.

i fist brown i
09-17-2012, 03:22 AM
the thing is the achievement aren't even that time consuming, if you boost it correctly you can finish this game in a week, i did it in like 2-3 weeks but i didn't even play the game during the week. It's a great game though and I'll continue to play it even after I finished it :)

OH, let me buy a $15 game to spend 48 HOURS boosting on it... no thanks, achievements will never be that important... I stopped playing this game recently and i think it might be because of the lack of "fun/attainable" achievements. I'll prob be coming back to it, depending on how big of a flop Halo 4 is (which doesnt look too promising).

Nevander
09-17-2012, 06:25 AM
OH, let me buy a $15 game to spend 48 HOURS boosting on it... no thanks, achievements will never be that important... I stopped playing this game recently and i think it might be because of the lack of "fun/attainable" achievements. I'll prob be coming back to it, depending on how big of a flop Halo 4 is (which doesnt look too promising).

Halo games have never been a flop, except maybe Halo Wars.

i fist brown i
09-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Halo games have never been a flop, except maybe Halo Wars.

Reach was most definitely a flop... 5/5 close friends bought it, 5/5 close friends traded it in within the month... Armor lock killed that game.. Halo 4 vid is looking a lot like Reach/Call of duty hybrid but it still looks fun... ill have to measure the fun on my fun-meter when i play it myself to determine if its worth keeping or not.

OT, counter-strike is awesome. lol

Nevander
09-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Reach was most definitely a flop... 5/5 close friends bought it, 5/5 close friends traded it in within the month... Armor lock killed that game.. Halo 4 vid is looking a lot like Reach/Call of duty hybrid but it still looks fun... ill have to measure the fun on my fun-meter when i play it myself to determine if its worth keeping or not.

OT, counter-strike is awesome. lol

Well to me a flop means sort of an overall across the board flop.

Obviously it wasn't a flop if so many people bought it, liked it, etc. Plenty of people are even still playing it today.

A good example of a flop would be a game like Spec Ops: The Line in comparison (not of genre but of game stats). The MP in there was a total flop and the devs even said they shouldn't have done MP but had to from pressure from the publisher.

Veedrock
09-17-2012, 06:39 PM

This is an Xbox website first and foremost.

Ravenous IE
09-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Only reason I stopped playing this is cause of the lag, standing there trying to fire your gun and keeps taking out my knife. :/ Patch comes out I'll be straight back onto it!