PDA

View Full Version : Xbox guide asking for e-mail/password? (Said something about proofs.)

VladimirK
09-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Has anybody had this happen?
Asking because I've never seen others mention it and I've never seen it before myself. (Although I do recall something recently where they mentioned you could now tie a mobile number and something else to your account for extra security.)

I was playing Darksiders 2 when I noticed that I had become disconnected from Live, (no notification saying that I had been disconnected though), so I pressed to reconnect and the guide flashed up at me asking me to enter my e-mail and password as some security thing (this is where it called it something about "Proofs").

I thought this seemed really odd so I exited and this signed me out completely.
I then signed in and I've connected fine now as if nothing ever happened.

So, yeah, just a tad concerned because as I said, I've not seen this before and it seems strange tht MS would just do that without any kind of big announcement so that you know what's happening.

Gackt
09-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Very odd, perhaps you should try asking the support team on their twitter page or by calling them? Never heard of this happening before ever...

Shiftie
09-14-2012, 02:01 AM
Just did it myself..seems fine to me.

VladimirK
09-14-2012, 02:02 AM
That's a good idea, the Twitter slipped my mind, I'll update with their reply.

OceanH
09-14-2012, 02:02 AM
New security update Microsoft is doing to purge out the issue with the FIFA hack.

Wildmn34
09-14-2012, 02:05 AM
Has anybody had this happen?
Asking because I've never seen others mention it and I've never seen it before myself. (Although I do recall something recently where they mentioned you could now tie a mobile number and something else to your account for extra security.)

I was playing Darksiders 2 when I noticed that I had become disconnected from Live, (no notification saying that I had been disconnected though), so I pressed to reconnect and the guide flashed up at me asking me to enter my e-mail and password as some security thing (this is where it called it something about "Proofs").

I thought this seemed really odd so I exited and this signed me out completely.
I then signed in and I've connected fine now as if nothing ever happened.

So, yeah, just a tad concerned because as I said, I've not seen this before and it seems strange tht MS would just do that without any kind of big announcement so that you know what's happening.

Nothing to be concerned about.

When was the last time you logged on via your console? I ask because within the last month Xbox has implemented some newer security stuff to try and prevent unauthorized account access. Adding "proofs" to the account is one of them.

I'll try and find you the official MS link here. B short answer.

VladimirK
09-14-2012, 02:09 AM
When was the last time you logged on via your console?

I've been on almost every day the past month.

I do think I got an e-mail about it but it was just mentioning the number and the other thing.
I didn't expect my Xbox to suddenly sign me out and start sounding like a weak phishing scam e-mail, heh.

EDIT: Here's (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/security-letter) the link the support gave me.
Although, and I know I'll sound like a pain, but I'm still not entirely comfortable with he way they asked me to update security stuff there.

EDIT 2: Heh, it looks like a whole load of folk got hit with it there, though. Looking at their Twitter and it looks like loads of folk asking the same question as me.

Wildmn34
09-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Here is the MS link I was looking for.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/security-letter

That should explain everything for you. ;-)

ChickinOnaChain
09-14-2012, 02:41 AM
I had it happen to me tonight but on Hotmail, it's been asking me to verify this and that, to get on there for about a month.

Gageamatron
09-14-2012, 02:52 AM
Happened to me about a half an hour ago. Really intrusive.

sleepydumbdude
09-14-2012, 02:54 AM
Had it happen to me a bunch. The unique code from xbox.com happens to me each time I try to redeem a code on the website. Its annoying as hell and my computers are set as trusted until hotmails settings.

Tsaako
09-14-2012, 02:58 AM
I had it happen to me tonight but on Hotmail, it's been asking me to verify this and that, to get on there for about a month.

Dude, that was so frustrating. I wanted to turn auto renewal off for my gold membership, kept getting me to get security codes emailed to me verify that it was me.

xxJUSTINxx
09-14-2012, 02:59 AM
It's just them forcing people to update there information so in the future they can get there account back without having to call them. It did it for me today since I've been off for a bit, kinda annoying but not a problem putting in some info that could help get my account back in the future if ever needed.

EmporerDragon
09-14-2012, 03:53 AM
I couldn't help but notice in that letter that they pointed out that a large number of people had their accounts stolen because their password was either password or 12345. If your password also brings down Druidia's shield and opens President Skroob's luggage, it's not a good password.

Wildmn34
09-14-2012, 03:56 AM
I couldn't help but notice in that letter that they pointed out that a large number of people had their accounts stolen because their password was either password or 12345. If your password also brings down Druidia's shield and opens President Skroob's luggage, it's not a good password.

Spaceballs?

Gackt
09-14-2012, 04:07 AM
Spaceballs?

Set ship to ludicrous speed.

Felonious Monk
09-14-2012, 04:08 AM

No kidding! I'm glad no one will ever figure out that my password is Microsoft.

Akuza
09-14-2012, 12:26 PM
It offered it to me... But I just clicked cancel and it still let me online haha

JeremyVersion1
09-14-2012, 02:02 PM
I love how Microsoft tries to step up their security for gamers, to, you know, protect them, and gamers bitch about it. What's wrong with people? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jeremy-V1/th_laughing.gif

VladimirK
09-14-2012, 02:05 PM
It's just them forcing people to update there information so in the future they can get there account back without having to call them.

That's what also confused me tbh, I already had it set up with a phone number and alternate e-mail so it's not like I was unprotected and this was them asking me to do something about it.

I love how Microsoft tries to step up their security for gamers, to, you know, protect them, and gamers bitch about it. What's wrong with people?

Care to say who that's directed at?

Burnout x360a
09-14-2012, 02:07 PM
It didn't bother me, just set them up and went on my merry way.

CyberPunch83
09-14-2012, 04:00 PM
I've been kicked off Xbox Live a lot since I got my new router (separate problem), but never once has it asked me to put that data back in. Perhaps an isolated problem? Never even had such a prompt come up. Last time I had to put such data in was when I recovered my account on a friend's console for some RB1.

Somewhat related, just tried to log into xbox.com and it gave me an error message the first time, but a quick refresh fixed it right up.

Crimson Ridley
09-14-2012, 05:13 PM
I got this message earlier, but as I had changed my security details a few days before, I have to wait until the 10th October for them to actually take effect, meaning I couldn't do anything with the message on the dashboard. I just had to cancel it and sign in again.

Which reminds me, I need to ring them to cancel my subscription (which I didn't want at 5.99 a month), as I can't do it through the site because it won't let me edit my account without first updating my details, and waiting for them to confirm them... Idiots.

Shiftie
09-14-2012, 05:16 PM
I do believe it's just them trying to address the issue of constantly having to deal with hacked accounts.

nekokari
09-14-2012, 05:54 PM
Here is the MS link I was looking for.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/security-letter

That should explain everything for you. ;-)

i was wondering when it happened to me. thanks for posting this very informational

JeremyVersion1
09-14-2012, 06:07 PM

I tend to think globally, rounding up everyone in one shot, like those that:

1. Bitch about having to do it.
2. Complain about it being intrusive.
3. Refuse to do it out of pure stupidity.

If you fall into one of those categories, then it's directed at you, tough guy. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v74/Jeremy-V1/th_laughing.gif

Gackt
09-14-2012, 06:44 PM

Ignore the troll.

JeremyVersion1
09-14-2012, 08:51 PM
Ignore the troll.

Yeah that will teach 'em! :biglaugh

[Waggly Bean]
09-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Just had it pop up on mine. Came on here yo make sure it was something happening to everyone, and now happily going through the steps. :)

HugTheBear
09-14-2012, 09:20 PM
I've had it happen to me too. Was a little weirded out by it, but didn't get too worried. I changed my password after doing it though. Since EA/Xbox Live had that Fifa issue, I've been changing my password every couple of months.

VladimirK
09-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Ignore the troll.

Haha, yeah, I recognise the name, one of those that I mostly ignore because of him spewing so much drivel but I thought it would be funny to see his response and it was pretty much what I expected, right down to trying to goad me into a reaction with the "tough guy" and the little emoticon.

JeremyVersion1
09-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Haha, yeah, I recognise the name, one of those that I mostly ignore because of him spewing so much drivel but I thought it would be funny to see his response and it was pretty much what I expected, right down to trying to goad me into a reaction with the "tough guy" and the little emoticon.

The only goading was from you to me, like your some kinda internet bad ass, so much so that I wouldn't dare say I was talking about you. :biglaugh

And call it drivel all you want, if you or anyone else bitches about Microsoft trying to help gamers be more secure with their gamertags, then you are an idiot.

Ethiebeefy
09-15-2012, 12:30 AM
The only goading was from you to me, like your some kinda internet bad ass, so much so that I wouldn't dare say I was talking about you. :biglaugh

And call it drivel all you want, if you or anyone else bitches about Microsoft trying to help gamers be more secure with their gamertags, then you are an idiot.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-erxcA6bHEhAYbRjqCvhGtrRmcC2rPVS3gP6mUYbXpMDjfoxq

Crimson Ridley
09-15-2012, 09:43 AM

Nobody would think twice about the security update, if Microsoft had announced it beforehand. In this day and age, it's more than required to be vigilant, so if something asks for your email and password out of the blue, something that has never asked before, you would be pretty worried.

Considering it's part of the beta, anyone could think that there has been a security hole and somebody has managed to get through it in an attempt to phish people's accounts.

Before jumping to Microsoft's defence like some loyal dog, think about things on a basic human level. If you can't do that, then the idiot is you.

Gackt
09-15-2012, 06:06 PM

People have a right to be a little alarmed when they give no notice of this happening before hand, especially when you sign up to anything really they will never ask you for your password ever...

CMCX360
09-17-2012, 12:46 AM
Had it pop-up on me a couple days ago. Gave it my email and that's it. I don't have a phone number, so I told it to fuck off and it did.

FFFreak1129
09-17-2012, 07:20 AM
I got this a couple days ago. At first I thought wtf but then I remembered watching a video on the dashboard that talked about these proofs so I did it.

[Waggly Bean]
09-17-2012, 07:21 AM
Had it pop-up on me a couple days ago. Gave it my email and that's it. I don't have a phone number, so I told it to fuck off and it did.

I swear mine never had this 'fuck off' option.

CMCX360
09-17-2012, 11:14 PM
;5276368']I swear mine never had this 'fuck off' option.

XBOX Guide button worked wonders.

Shiftie
09-17-2012, 11:19 PM
XBOX Guide button worked wonders.

Does your controller have a middle finger instead of an xbox icon? That'd be pretty sweet.

Felonious Monk
09-17-2012, 11:24 PM
;5276368']I swear mine never had this 'fuck off' option.
I KNEW that the KINECT would be good for something!

Rickmassacre
09-17-2012, 11:38 PM
the new security stuff is annoying as well when tryna buy live through xbox.com

iBuzz7S
11-09-2012, 08:16 AM
Be thankful it's not like iTunes, where you confirm your account details 2-3 times before making a purchase. Even things that are for free have to be verified!

It is frustrating, but I like that they've done it. I wonder now, how will they use it? If someone gets your account details, surely they will figure out how to disable your chosen contact method.

Then it's back to square 1.