PDA

View Full Version : Why don't more PC game have achievements?

wh1tel1ght
09-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Just as the title says. Was just curious. Cause there's a few games I'd rather play on my PC than my Xbox. But the lack of achievements turns me away from most games.

CALIBORS
09-25-2012, 01:56 AM
they probably have to pay for 'windows live' to have achievements, what confused me more is when they brought out LOTR war of the north it says windows live but no achievements on pc but seeing as it uses live chat it has the title.

would love the lego games to have achievements (not even bothered about stackable) with them being much cheaper on pc

MACHADONNY
09-25-2012, 03:18 AM
wh1tel1ght I agree with you. Would def like to play more games on my pc that are cheevo based. not sure if you tried it but fallout 3 + all DLC was rewarding and had cheevos..

wh1tel1ght
09-25-2012, 03:10 PM
wh1tel1ght I agree with you. Would def like to play more games on my pc that are cheevo based. not sure if you tried it but fallout 3 + all DLC was rewarding and had cheevos..

That's definitely on my upcoming game list. I'm working on borderlands 2 right now. Just waiting for the steam sale. As I've been told they just about give games away during the holiday season.

Burnout x360a
09-25-2012, 03:12 PM
Because they don't use the god-awful GFWL system.

Cilisien
06-24-2013, 02:14 AM
Lots of PC games have achievements although alot of them are steam achievements so might not count in your eyes i guess

Gackt
06-24-2013, 02:19 AM
Because they don't use the god-awful GFWL system.

As much as I like achievements...I'm glad more games don't use it as GFWL is pretty awful. Can't tell you how many issues I've had with it lol.

T.B.R.M
06-25-2013, 05:13 PM
almost finished up with Batman Arkham City on GFWL (I did purchase it through Steam) and everything has worked great!

McDurbin
06-26-2013, 04:56 PM
I've heard its because too many people complain about it because they say its a hassle to create an offline profile to save their progress. But I think its because these people like to pirate their games and if its a gfwl game it isn't crackable. So since its not crackable they can't play it online.

Gackt
06-26-2013, 05:27 PM
I've heard its because too many people complain about it because they say its a hassle to create an offline profile to save their progress. But I think its because these people like to pirate their games and if its a gfwl game it isn't crackable. So since its not crackable they can't play it online.

Actually it's because the service doesn't work properly far too often. Also have had issues with achievements unlocking, than re-locking. Piracy has nothing to do with why people hate GFWL. Not crackable? lol....no such thing.

McDurbin
06-26-2013, 05:34 PM
Well you can crack it so that you can play it. But you can't go online with it. I've only had issues with two games on my old account and they were Dirt 2 and GTA IV but I was able to get the achievements to stick by doing it a second time.

Barad
06-26-2013, 06:30 PM
I wish more GFWL games had achievements but it tends to be all so glitchy and a headache. At least boosting MP achievements is easy. :p

Deific Aberrant
06-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Actually it's because the service doesn't work properly far too often. Also have had issues with achievements unlocking, than re-locking. Piracy has nothing to do with why people hate GFWL. Not crackable? lol....no such thing.

I think the service is a lot better than when it first came about...with all the new changes and such. However, it still has it's issue and the main thing is the DRM aspect - along with the fact that MS doesn't seem to be caring/investing into the PC realm much or at all.

It seems that people who want these achievements started with, or mostly play, xbox. MS tried branching the idea to PC but it didn't really take hold....maybe a head of its time? If more games had it and were on Steam...then it'd be a success imo. The other area of failure is the GFWL marketplace. No deals and prices never drop. Along with DRM crap....who is going to buy PC games full price 2+ years after the game release? That's insane.

CHIRUNO99
06-27-2013, 12:11 AM
GFWL is pretty bad to deal with. It makes for easy netcode when porting from Xbox to PC but it's just so much to deal with. Not forgetting of course games like Fallout 3 where every achievement is a console command away.

As for most other games using it, you can literally get a trainer, hence why it probably wouldn't pick up for single player games too quickly.

Your closest alternative is Steam's achievement system but you'll get nothing out of it.

McDurbin
06-27-2013, 01:58 AM
If only MS invested more time and money into it instead of ditching it and doing arcade games on windows 8 then it would be more of a success. It really needs an update in appearance and functionalty.

Shiftie
06-28-2013, 01:24 AM
As much as I like achievements...I'm glad more games don't use it as GFWL is pretty awful. Can't tell you how many issues I've had with it lol.

Yep.. and some games like Dawn of War II just decide to not work, and I blame GFWL for that :D GFWL worked fine for some of the other PC titles I have though (Fallout 3 and Dark Souls namely).

Creech
06-28-2013, 01:43 AM
Yep.. and some games like Dawn of War II just decide to not work, and I blame GFWL for that :D GFWL worked fine for some of the other PC titles I have though (Fallout 3 and Dark Souls namely).

I have never had a single problem with a GFWL title that I didn't cause by tweaking my computer, but the interface is horrible and ugly and clunky and slow. The ultimate problem is that GFWL titles don't sell, and so they are not generally profitable, and so MS won't invest money in a system that is clearly a huge failure.

Frankly, I am surprised they haven't just shut it all down and walked away like they did with AOE Online.

Gackt
06-28-2013, 03:05 AM
I have never had a single problem with a GFWL title that I didn't cause by tweaking my computer, but the interface is horrible and ugly and clunky and slow. The ultimate problem is that GFWL titles don't sell, and so they are not generally profitable, and so MS won't invest money in a system that is clearly a huge failure.

Frankly, I am surprised they haven't just shut it all down and walked away like they did with AOE Online.

I can't use the guide when playing GFWL games because no matter what game I am playing if I hit home or the guide button it instantly crashes my games lol.

McDurbin
06-28-2013, 03:21 AM
So you can't do multiplayer games where you need to accept an invite or send invites?

Shiftie
06-28-2013, 04:02 AM
I can't use the guide when playing GFWL games because no matter what game I am playing if I hit home or the guide button it instantly crashes my games lol.

I certainly never had that problem. Sure it was slow, like Creech said, but I think my main issues were DRM related, cause THQ kind of sucked with that stuff (again, referencing Dawn of War II).

T.B.R.M
06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
ive never had any issues with GFWL either? i just had to sync my game and then i was cooking with gas.

BUMMERS8888
06-28-2013, 03:48 PM
They to be windows live in order to gain achievements

VitaminAmy
07-12-2013, 04:49 AM
If only MS invested more time and money into it instead of ditching it and doing arcade games on windows 8 then it would be more of a success. It really needs an update in appearance and functionalty.

Yeah it's a viscous cycle... MS doesn't support it so gamers don't buy it... gamers don't buy it because MS doesn't support it.
I'd love to play more retail PC games instead of Win8 "touchpad" type arcade games.

Deific Aberrant
07-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Yeah it's a viscous cycle... MS doesn't support it so gamers don't buy it... gamers don't buy it because MS doesn't support it.
I'd love to play more retail PC games instead of Win8 "touchpad" type arcade games.

I agree. MS could probably do something just like Steam and be a better competitor in PC games though. MS had the right idea for the GFWL 'client', but Steam/Valve made it so much more easier and user-friendly.

Perhaps with MS trying to push this DRM crap on consoles, they might revisit the PC games and do just that. I wouldn't mind that.... I believe MS charges devs/publishers to have achievements though? or something like that. So, if they did away with the fees, but still made them add achievements, then it'd be feasible maybe.

Figbender
07-15-2013, 05:01 AM
That's definitely on my upcoming game list. I'm working on borderlands 2 right now. Just waiting for the steam sale. As I've been told they just about give games away during the holiday season.

If you haven't played Fallout 3 yet I highly recommend it! The steam sale has started, what are you waiting for

Reggiez
08-12-2013, 08:06 AM
I really wouldn't mind having more games with achievements on the PC. I've recently started gaming on the PC again and some achievments to go for would have been nice.

I have heard a lot of people not pleased with GFWL over the years but i have never had a problem with it so far. Granted I have only played Dawn of War II but it has been a smooth ride. I do agree that the interface could have been slicker and not so clunky. It reminds me of the old "blades" design on the 360 way back then.

Still, it's a sad thing that GFWL never really took hold in the PC gaming community. :(

Triblade
09-15-2013, 05:42 PM
Like some of the others here, I've never had a problem with GFWL games either, and I've played quite a few of them now. I can imagine non-xbox people don't like the idea of creating a gamer tag though just to play a PC game (and I can't imagine they're going to give a crap about achievements either).

TBH, I think we'd have seen a lot more GFWL games if Microsoft had supported the service better (i.e. made it more reliable, easier to use, less intrusive etc). It kinda got crushed by steamworks and, then, it was almost like they gave up on it until it eventually died. Shame really.

Fire Hawk D
09-19-2013, 02:10 AM
Yeah, as most stated, developers and publishers weren't fans of GFWL. Though, PC games with achievements still come out, like in the Windows 8 Store.

Ashar
10-20-2013, 03:26 PM
developers and publishers wont have to worry about gwfl the way things are going. I still dotn see the point though, games that actually offer you a reward like ingame items or other extra content when gettign an achievement are so more appealing. I dont see the point otherwise. I usually jsut use an app which unlocks them all to begin with, so i dotn haev to worry about missing any.

Creech
10-23-2013, 01:49 PM
developers and publishers wont have to worry about gwfl the way things are going. I still dotn see the point though, games that actually offer you a reward like ingame items or other extra content when gettign an achievement are so more appealing. I dont see the point otherwise. I usually jsut use an app which unlocks them all to begin with, so i dotn haev to worry about missing any.

So a) why are you on this site which is about unlocking achievements, and b) cheating for achievements (which is what you are doing by using that app) is not supported by the site and leads to consequences such as your account being banned.

Have a nice day.