PDA

View Full Version : Music on Hard Drive

Mtld
09-14-2007, 10:04 PM
I was wondering how you put music on your hard drive. My PC (XP Windows) is connected to my XBox, so I can stream music from my PC, but I can't save any playlists. To save a playlist, I must have songs on my 360 hard drive.

I tried putting songs on a MU from my XBox but I don't see any way of doing this. I tried using a USB chip, but I can't transfer data (only play music from it).

So the question is, HOW do I save music on the Xbox hard drive ??

Thanks!

Shinobi273
09-14-2007, 10:05 PM
Rip it from the CD. You have the CD right? Cuz piracy is bad... lol

Or... throw more money at microsoft and get a Zune!

iPod work too, you can run playlists off of that.

Sanction
09-14-2007, 10:06 PM
CD's. That's how I do it. Other than that you can use your iPod to play music, but not save it.

...I don't buy music online by the way, lol, I'm old school, I buy the CDs. :woop:

Pez
09-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Yup sorry to say, the only way that works for now is by ripping off a CD.

You can play songs off your iPod on your 360, but you'd have to download the 'Optional iPod Support' patch off the marketplace.

Like Shinobi has said, you could use a Zune, but how that works is beyond me, not seen one or used one here in the UK yet.

~SS

Shinobi273
09-14-2007, 10:20 PM
CD's. That's how I do it. Other than that you can use your iPod to play music, but not save it.

...I don't buy music online by the way, lol, I'm old school, I buy the CDs. :woop:

DRM is so bad... I hate iTunes.

Cold Rival
09-14-2007, 10:41 PM
You don't have to have the original CD. Why not create a playlist on iTunes, then burn it to CD, then rip it from the CD. That'll save time if you want certian songs rather than the entire album.

Sanction
09-14-2007, 10:49 PM
DRM is so bad... I hate iTunes.

...what the hell is DRM?

Shinobi273
09-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Digital Rights Management it is a tag that Apple attaches to iTunes downloads. It contains information about your account and your computer. They also restrict the ways you can use the files. Recently Apple released songs with less restrictive DRM but made them cost twice as much and also take up twice the space. Some CDs used to have DRM too until the label got sued for creating a back door to your computer for hackers to take control of your computer. Currently, if you buy the CD, you don't have DRM and can use the songs as you wish with no traceable tags.

Pez
09-14-2007, 10:57 PM
You don't have to have the original CD. Why not create a playlist on iTunes, then burn it to CD, then rip it from the CD. That'll save time if you want certian songs rather than the entire album.

I totally forgot about that! Good job some people have good memories.

If you only have the 20GB hard drive, I really don't see the point in putting music on it, unless that's one of two things your gonna use it for. The other thing being saving your games.

...what the hell is DRM?

I'd like to ask the same question... :)

~SS

Sanction
09-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Digital Rights Management it is a tag that Apple attaches to iTunes downloads. It contains information about your account and your computer. They also restrict the ways you can use the files. Recently Apple released songs with less restrictive DRM but made them cost twice as much and also take up twice the space. Some CDs used to have DRM too until the label got sued for creating a back door to your computer for hackers to take control of your computer. Currently, if you buy the CD, you don't have DRM and can use the songs as you wish with no traceable tags.

...oh, well I don't buy songs on iTunes, I import my CD's onto it. And currently, I have 200 or so CD's. :)

Skillet
09-15-2007, 04:21 AM
I totally forgot about that! Good job some people have good memories.

If you only have the 20GB hard drive, I really don't see the point in putting music on it, unless that's one of two things your gonna use it for. The other thing being saving your games.

I'd like to ask the same question... :)

~SS

I have a 20GB and music is just fine. Unless you have well over 100 cds...I doubt you'll have any space issues. I have maybe 50 and all of them fit nicely on the HDD with plenty of room for everything else. I have about 6GB on there right now. That's with almost 500 songs, several downloaded videos and even a demo or two. Not to mention all of my arcade games, saved games, profile, gamer pics and themes. Of which I download pretty much anything that's free.

twelve
09-15-2007, 04:39 AM
If you use a CD-RW its even better.

It's gotta be the worst system ever tho. It's so slow at ripping and I don't know why considering how fast DVD games spin and transfer data it should be able to rip a CD in a matter of seconds.

Skillet
09-15-2007, 04:44 AM
If you use a CD-RW its even better.

It's gotta be the worst system ever tho. It's so slow at ripping and I don't know why considering how fast DVD games spin and transfer data it should be able to rip a CD in a matter of seconds.

Ever try ripping a cd to an old Xbox? 'Nuff said.

twelve
09-15-2007, 04:46 AM
Never had an old xbox.

Skillet
09-15-2007, 04:50 AM
Never had an old xbox.

Yeah...think three times as long as ripping to a 360. You rip a few cds to an old Xbox and you're grateful for the 360's speed.

Sanction
09-15-2007, 05:24 AM
Yeah...think three times as long as ripping to a 360. You rip a few cds to an old Xbox and you're grateful for the 360's speed.

...I played Monopoly once while waiting for a Christmas cd to import itself on the old Xbox...and we finished the game. -_-

Skillet
09-15-2007, 01:14 PM
...I played Monopoly once while waiting for a Christmas cd to import itself on the old Xbox...and we finished the game. -_-

While I don't believe it's quite that long on mine...that's about it.