PDA

View Full Version : Forward Unto Dawn Discussion.

xTGMx INF3RNO
10-05-2012, 12:44 PM
So what did we think of the first episode?

Also when's the second?

RBmaster9345
10-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Prolly just next week. And it was cool. Felt very much like watching a movie.

theNomad
10-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Yeah it had great production values for a promotional video, loved seeing the warthog and marines tattoo rocked. The extended edition will be a treat to own.

Was that a banshee flying towards the training base towards the end, seemed far too quick to move left and right to be anything huge ?

xTGMx INF3RNO
10-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Im not sure what it was. I got really into it! Cant wait for the next ep. Want to see some action and the chief. Also be good to find out how the kid fits in to the whole story.

ReverendSID
10-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Also be good to find out how the kid fits in to the whole story.
Well, based on the promotional lines leading up to this I'm assuming that the ship he's on at the beginning - when he's listening to the distress call before flashing back - is the Infinity.

LickableLemons7
10-06-2012, 01:21 AM
So Lasky picked up the beacon or whatever it was that Cortana said she'd drop at the end of Halo 3, and then has a flashback when he goes through the transmission. Hmm.

From a critical standpoint, the first episode seems like a cheesy, average, coming of age story with a new skin on it.

But as a Halo fan, this is great to watch. Personally, I'd take this over a feature-length movie tie in. Forward unto Dawn (as well as The Thursday War) is PERFECT for staving off my hunger to play Halo 4.

ReverendSID
10-06-2012, 02:13 AM
So Lasky picked up the beacon or whatever it was that Cortana said she'd drop at the end of Halo 3, and then has a flashback when he goes through the transmission. Hmm.

From a critical standpoint, the first episode seems like a cheesy, average, coming of age story with a new skin on it.

But as a Halo fan, this is great to watch. Personally, I'd take this over a feature-length movie tie in. Forward unto Dawn (as well as The Thursday War) is PERFECT for staving off my hunger to play Halo 4.

From a blurb about Forward Unto Dawn from the Limited Edition contents...
when the Master Chief inspired a young cadet who would eventually become a leader aboard the UNSC's greatest vessel ever: the UNSC Infinity. Which is why I assume that Lasky's on the Infinity when he's listening to the distress beacon at the beginning.

You're right, it does basically seem like just a coming of age story with a new skin. But when that new skin involves a 7-foot tall super soldier in half a ton of power armor... I'm there! :p

xXmyxxmastaXx
10-06-2012, 04:58 AM
it was amazing IMO

Kaiyo
10-06-2012, 07:10 AM
It was good...

Vectorman953
10-06-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm normally really cynical (as anyone who reads any of my posts would know) but I thought it was really good.

I even showed it to my dad and girlfriend, and they were impressed (even though neither of them had a halo background).

The one thing I noticed was while it's telling the human-side, I had to explain that it was set in the future. Apparently that's not readily evident from the cryo-training portion. Also a blurb about what the cortana-transmission was all about in the beginning was necessary for the girlfriend/fathers understanding.

But yea; I found it to be really, really good. Eagerly awaiting the next episode, and I'm starting to feel quite good about ordering the LE edition.

DarkReign2021
10-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Finally got a chance to sit down and watch it last night. I can't help but wonder why the hell nobody is willing to take the plunge and produce a Halo movie. Between Landfall, Forward Unto Dawn, and all of the other live-action shorts, it's all too apparent that the production value and focus on quality is through the roof. I don't think they would let a Halo movie hit theatres that was anything short of perfection.

A little bit of background about Lansky in post-Halo 3 events. Minor Thursday War spoilers, but nothing major.

I'm not finished with the book yet and he hasn't played any sort of major role in the novel so far, but Lansky has been present within the events of the story. I will say that Lasky isn't currently in charge of Infinity as of the Novel's time-circle (Time does not go in a line. It goes in a circle. That's why clocks are round.) The ship, still being upgraded with Forerunner tech like Slipspace Communication and pinpoint slipspace navigation, is under the command of Andrew Del Rio with Lasky serving as First Mate. Parangosky, head of CINCONI, however, has expressed her desire to have Lansky ultimately in command of the ship. Lord Hood, the co-funder and co-owner of Infinity, ultimately seems to prefer Del Rio in command due to his willingness to comply with orders. (Sounds like Lasky's disobedient persona in FUD might still persist somewhat to modern day.)

ReverendSID
10-06-2012, 09:40 PM
I can't help but wonder why the hell nobody is willing to take the plunge and produce a Halo movie. Between Landfall, Forward Unto Dawn, and all of the other live-action shorts, it's all too apparent that the production value and focus on quality is through the roof. I don't think they would let a Halo movie hit theatres that was anything short of perfection.

I think part of it has to do with story, and part of it has to do with Hollywood history. The VAST majority of video game based movies have sucked, and been critically slammed. So right off the bat that would probably make any number of studios leery of making another one. Now, Halo's a big enough name that it would probably draw good numbers no matter what, but then they start thinking franchise which is where story comes in. They would have to nail it for a first movie. If the story is crap they don't do as good repeat business. And I don't think perfectly recreating one of the games would be a good idea for a movie, cause we've seen it, done it, and read it already. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, especially if FUD is received well and does decent sales when it's released to home video. They'll just have to find the right script, which sometimes takes awhile.

xXmyxxmastaXx
10-07-2012, 06:07 AM
why is he calling her sir?

ReverendSID
10-07-2012, 09:06 AM
why is he calling her sir?
Military protocol. Superior officers are called Sir.

EngagedMetal7
10-07-2012, 09:58 AM
I can't help but wonder why the hell nobody is willing to take the plunge and produce a Halo movie. Between Landfall, Forward Unto Dawn, and all of the other live-action shorts, it's all too apparent that the production value and focus on quality is through the roof. I don't think they would let a Halo movie hit theatres that was anything short of perfection.

There actually has been a halo movie in the works since about 2007/8, and I think that they plan to make it soon, do some trivia on it, maybe you can find something, it was going to be produced by peter jackson (or maybe directed, can't remember now). But I thinks that we should see a halo movie within 4 years hopefully.

Edit* There is also some random halo cartoon movie thing at my local video store... looks bad.

LickableLemons7
10-07-2012, 01:34 PM
There actually has been a halo movie in the works since about 2007/8, and I think that they plan to make it soon, do some trivia on it, maybe you can find something, it was going to be produced by peter jackson (or maybe directed, can't remember now). But I thinks that we should see a halo movie within 4 years hopefully.

Edit* There is also some random halo cartoon movie thing at my local video store... looks bad.

Things got fucked up with the whole Peter Jackson thing. But we got District 9 out of it, and I was fine with that.

And the "random halo cartoon movie" you mentioned is Halo Legends. It's not a whole movie, there are bits and pieces that offer a different look at different time periods in the Halo universe. Some of the stuff in there is pretty good(like Origins) but some of the other stuff isn't so good. Personal opinion. It's a great watch, as long as you are interested and want to know more about the Halo universe.

HellspawnRei
10-07-2012, 01:58 PM
It was really good,waiting for the next.

Made
10-07-2012, 02:51 PM
So great. I can't wait for the next episode

xXmyxxmastaXx
10-08-2012, 04:49 AM

thats weird, i thought men were sir and women were ma'am.

ReverendSID
10-08-2012, 06:20 AM
thats weird, i thought men were sir and women were ma'am.
Some female officers prefer being called Ma'am, but to the best of my knowledge regulations haven't been re-written from the days when women couldn't serve, and still specify Sir as the proper form of address for superior officers. Of course this being set over 500 years in the future, you might think those rules would change by then. :p

oozero
10-08-2012, 11:58 AM
in what branch? I know when I served in the army we called female superior officers ma'am and male officers sir... they prolly are just showing how things have changed in the future, or maybe just showing her masculinity? lol

Overall though I thought it had some really good production features, acting could be a little better but that is whatever, graphics seem legit enough, cant wait to see the next one!!

When does this movie take place in the halo franchise, or is this a stand alone film?

DarkReign2021
10-08-2012, 02:52 PM
in what branch? I know when I served in the army we called female superior officers ma'am and male officers sir... they prolly are just showing how things have changed in the future, or maybe just showing her masculinity? lol

Overall though I thought it had some really good production features, acting could be a little better but that is whatever, graphics seem legit enough, cant wait to see the next one!!

When does this movie take place in the halo franchise, or is this a stand alone film?

The series takes place in April 2526, roughly 6 months after the Covenant fleet has made first contact with Humanity and decimated the Harvest Population. Most of the Human race still isn't aware of the events that transpired on Harvest, hence why the cadets still think they're being trained to engage the Insurrectionists in Part I.

Requiem Kata
10-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Really enjoyed the first episode, just builds up the anticipation for the actual game :)

ZingZitang
10-08-2012, 08:14 PM

The series takes place in April 2526, roughly 6 months after the Covenant fleet has made first contact with Humanity and decimated the Harvest Population. Most of the Human race still isn't aware of the events that transpired on Harvest, hence why the cadets still think they're being trained to engage the Insurrectionists in Part I.
Yes. 26 years Before Halo Combat Evolved.

When John-117 shows up, which I believe(hope) will be this Fridays Episode. Keep in mind that he was born in 2511. Meaning Master Chief is Only 15 years old During the events of Forward Unto Dawn.

Of course, Lasky and the other Cadets(Or anyone else at the Academy) won't know this. Nobody besides Halsey and a few others know this.

SiLeNt Sc0pE 16
10-08-2012, 08:36 PM
I enjoyed it but I still think a full Halo movie would be incredible. Nevertheless, it was entertaining and well-made.

ReverendSID
10-09-2012, 01:00 AM

*Shrug* I never served. My dad did and I know some of his superiors insisted on one or the other. I've met a few female officers who insisted on Sir, a few who insisted on their rank and a few who insisted on Ma'am. I did say to the best of my knowledge :) haven't read the regs lately.

Is it Friday yet? I want the next episode! :p

oozero
10-09-2012, 02:23 AM
^~is it November yet? I just want to play!!!

ReverendSID
10-09-2012, 03:35 AM
Touche. :)

theNomad
10-09-2012, 04:24 AM

Yeah its so close now I've started to think how I'll play, I want to solo legendary first, but will probably play 2-3 hours campaign then have a bash at flood infection & other war game modes. I doubt I'll bother seeing the extended FUD for weeks after owning the game.

oozero
10-09-2012, 02:37 PM
yea im in a toss up, do I want to watch each episode individually or just wait till the full version is released and watch it like a movie? decision decisions......

Barad
10-09-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm hooked, can't wait for the next.

Vectorman953
10-11-2012, 10:28 PM
I'm still excited for the next episode to come out (every Friday, right?).

I'm definitely watching them all as they come out, so that when I watch them all in one sitting (after unboxing the LE and playing through on Legendary) with all of the Directors Cut scenes and stuff spliced in it's a totally different experience.

RBmaster9345
10-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Lasky's kickin ass now. Too bad about the cyro sickness though.

Also Covies............next week man

BiggD
10-12-2012, 06:35 PM
yea im in a toss up, do I want to watch each episode individually or just wait till the full version is released and watch it like a movie? decision decisions......

Personally, I'm waiting until I unbox my LE to watch it in full, that way I get a full movie-like experience!

ReverendSID
10-13-2012, 06:49 AM
Anyone else notice Frankie in this episode?

LickableLemons7
10-13-2012, 12:28 PM

Was he holding a mop or something? I couldn't tell.

The opening for episode 2 was phenomenal, we have more showings of Cortana's descent into rampancy. It makes me long to play Halo 4's campaign. Looking back, I can still remember when I first saw the "Awakening" trailer. Can't believe time flies so fast.

FuD still feels like a "high-school outcast becomes super cool" sort of thing. And the whatever it was that was flying by the academy at the end of episode 1 was never explained, yet.

Maybe the Covies will appear in episode 3. That would shake things up. A lot.

DarkReign2021
10-13-2012, 04:00 PM
I'm pretty sure the Covies are going to make an appearance. I remember watching some of the footage earlier on and I'm pretty sure we're to the point where the Chief is going to show up at the Academy and inspire Lasky.

theNomad
10-14-2012, 02:01 AM

hehe yeah just watched it and spotted him, its like our very own where's wally (made me remember the joys of spotting observers in Fringe, I'm a big fan and used to love spotting them per episode its not the same this season with a universe populated with 'em)

It looked like Frankie was just a cleaner with a mop or some sort of tool, he had a different less sophisticated uniform and his name was Beamish (I'm guessing its his fave beer). Wonder if we'll get josh holmes next week as a warthog driver or something.

As for FUD its a bit teenzy isn't it, but paint ball with halo hud & radars looks heaps of fun. Keeps hinting at a real attack lets hope #3 delivers.

ReverendSID
10-14-2012, 09:29 AM
As for FUD its a bit teenzy isn't it, but paint ball with halo hud & radars looks heaps of fun. Keeps hinting at a real attack lets hope #3 delivers.
Well, it is basically a High School. But it's not really paintball. If you've read Contact Harvest it's basically the same thing the Oni chick used I think, anesthetic paste with a hardening agent to numb and prevent movement.

Vectorman953
10-15-2012, 06:59 AM
Well the way that guy keeps reviewing the classified videos, you know he's going to see some covies in some of em. Probably just in time for an attack.

And the "next on" portion of video two had a whole lot of explosions and ODST like trails of smoke. Plus the extremely brief view of a probably-master-chief-sillouette.

I'm not really understanding all of this cryo-sickness stuff, so I'm probably going to do a but ire research on that before the next episode.

it's going to be so sad when they reveal how Laskey's brother died, I just feel it in my bones

RBmaster9345
10-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Well the way that guy keeps reviewing the classified videos, you know he's going to see some covies in some of em. Probably just in time for an attack.

Right.........about that...........

DarkReign2021
10-19-2012, 10:25 PM
To take a quote from MixMaker-

Holy Shit!

*SPOILERS* If you haven't watched it yet. Just got a chance to watch watch Episode 3. Vectorman, you definitely nailed that right on the head. As for the episode, seemed a bit shorter than the others, but maybe that's because this one had me completely hooked.

That being said, I think Halo just nailed down a new scene to go in my top 5 favorites scenes in the series. When they're looking up through the Tether ceiling and the ships dropped out of Slipspace. That was probably one of the most heart-wrenching moments I've ever felt in the series. With the live-action actors and the characters being so young and relatively helpless, it feels so much more real than the games ever have. Not the best scene I've seen yet, but definitely close to it.

While I still question making a movie based directly on the games themselves, I'm starting to think the Human-Covenant War being shot from the perspective of a civvie or maybe a drafted marine. I'm thinking the mystery of the Forerunner and complexity of the Covenant's existence couldn't be conveyed in a 3-hour movie, but a story of survival (perhaps encompassing the war on Earth during Halo 2 and 3) would be easily conveyed. This would allow them to cut out some of the more extensive directions the series goes in, but prevents them from attempting to rewrite and change something that would ultimately bo worse than being left excluded.

Now if we were to get a multi-episode, multi-season TV series, I would say they need to go out. Forerunner Origin, Covenant Religion, discovery of the Halo rings, everything. I really feel a TV series with a 40-minute runtime is the way to go. I can guarantee it would be the most expensive TV series ever produced, but it would probably have some of the best ratings of any series ever. I don't think it would be getting cancelled prematurely.

RBmaster9345
10-19-2012, 10:50 PM
QUOTE: DarkReign (not brining that wall of text)

Agreed. The best Halo movie (if this doesnt already qualify) they could do is an extra story, not the game's story. They can't shove all the events of any game into a feature length movie, they just can't. That being said if its of this production quality I'd happily see anything they try to give us.

ReverendSID
10-19-2012, 10:59 PM
With a 90 minute extended cut coming, I think this does qualify as a movie. And I"m loving it so far. I'm curious to see if we're going to get a better look at any of the Covenant in the last couple parts though.

As for the tether... did anyone NOT see that coming?

LickableLemons7
10-20-2012, 12:07 AM
That being said, I think Halo just nailed down a new scene to go in my top 5 favorites scenes in the series. When they're looking up through the Tether ceiling and the ships dropped out of Slipspace. That was probably one of the most heart-wrenching moments I've ever felt in the series. With the live-action actors and the characters being so young and relatively helpless, it feels so much more real than the games ever have. Not the best scene I've seen yet, but definitely close to it.

While I still question making a movie based directly on the games themselves, I'm starting to think the Human-Covenant War being shot from the perspective of a civvie or maybe a drafted marine. I'm thinking the mystery of the Forerunner and complexity of the Covenant's existence couldn't be conveyed in a 3-hour movie, but a story of survival (perhaps encompassing the war on Earth during Halo 2 and 3) would be easily conveyed. This would allow them to cut out some of the more extensive directions the series goes in, but prevents them from attempting to rewrite and change something that would ultimately bo worse than being left excluded.

Now if we were to get a multi-episode, multi-season TV series, I would say they need to go out. Forerunner Origin, Covenant Religion, discovery of the Halo rings, everything. I really feel a TV series with a 40-minute runtime is the way to go. I can guarantee it would be the most expensive TV series ever produced, but it would probably have some of the best ratings of any series ever. I don't think it would be getting cancelled prematurely.

If I could guess the other 4 of your top 5 favorite scenes of the franchise, in no particular order:

-Chief giving the Covenant back their bomb.
-Chief witnessing a large Covenant fleet, and proceeds to escape a Forerunner temple only to get blasted into the surrounding waters, where the Gravemind abducts him.
-Chief warping towards the Prophet of Truth, and barely managing to hitch a ride on the Forerunner Dreadnought.
-Johnson's Death.

And if Star Wars gets to have a live-action TV series, Halo deserves some love from fans too. I'd rather avoid a Halo movie, but I'm all for a TV series. Having short little story lines revolving around events of the franchise would be great. It wouldn't have to focus on a single main character, over the entire series or over the course of a season. A glimpse at the life of an ODST, a firefight from an Insurrectionist's point of view, Johnson's early days, the construction of the Halo rings, a documentary about the Precursors, etc., etc. A fine way to continue expanding the franchise, even after the Reclaimer trilogy comes to a close.

The third episode of Forward unto Dawn has me elated for what's to come. We finally get some official resolution of Cadman's character, and the scene with the tether was gut wrenching. But not as gut wrenching to see compared to the opening with Cortana and Chief. My God, what the blazes is Cortana up to? This is the CRAZIEST we've ever seen her become! She's morphing into some creepy Gollum-esque cretin!

On a closing statement about today's episode, 104 was such a tease. Hopefully we'll witness a booty clenching scene of Chief and 104 back to back, kicking some Covie behind next Friday.

DarkReign2021
10-20-2012, 01:01 AM
I'm gonna give you a 2/4 on that one. The scene with Johnson's Death and the scene with the chief boarding the Dreadnought after being forced to abandon Cortana.

As for the other two, The entire final Canyon Fight on Two Betrayals in H1 and the first time playing through Quarantine Zone in H2 when I made a huge misjudgement and discovered the hard way that flood could drive vehicles (Tanks...)

Guess they might be kinda unfair since I probably seemed like I was only referring to Cutscenes. In terms of just cutscenes and video clips, I would probably replace with the Cam Footage at the midway point on 343 Guilty Spark. First time playing the game it freaked the hell out of me (I was 11...) The other one would be the end of ODST where Johnson was forging the alliance with Vergil. The first time Huragok had a prominent role in the series and a sign of the direction the series would begin to go in. Plus Vergil/Superintendent is my favorite character in the series. Period.

secretkaos187
10-20-2012, 01:33 AM
To take a quote from MixMaker-

Holy Shit!

*SPOILERS* If you haven't watched it yet. Just got a chance to watch watch Episode 3. Vectorman, you definitely nailed that right on the head. As for the episode, seemed a bit shorter than the others, but maybe that's because this one had me completely hooked.

Now if we were to get a multi-episode, multi-season TV series, I would say they need to go out. Forerunner Origin, Covenant Religion, discovery of the Halo rings, everything. I really feel a TV series with a 40-minute runtime is the way to go. I can guarantee it would be the most expensive TV series ever produced, but it would probably have some of the best ratings of any series ever. I don't think it would be getting cancelled prematurely. Look at Firefly and Heroes!!! I thought the cadets falling outta the tether was intense

RBmaster9345
10-20-2012, 01:44 AM
Plus Vergil/Superintendent is my favorite character in the series. Period.

"Keep it clean". ODST, most underrated Halo game

BiggD
10-20-2012, 02:23 AM
I'm gonna give you a 2/4 on that one. The scene with Johnson's Death and the scene with the chief boarding the Dreadnought after being forced to abandon Cortana.

I am all for these 2 being in my Top 5 as well. Mine is pretty basic but just the emotion that it evokes is amazing.

1. Chief abandoning Cortana on High Charity
2. Closing cutscene of 'Pillar of Autumn,'
- Cortana: You sure you wouldn't rather take a seat?"
- Chief: "We'll be fine..." Genuine confidence in Chief's voice gave me chills.
3. Closing cutscene of 'Floodgate' when Rtas 'Vadum, Chief, Keyes, Hood, Spark and Arbiter were discussing their plans of Cortana's solution, "Did you not hear...your world is doomed."
4. Johnson's death :(
5. Chief finding Cortana, "Just keep your head down...there's two of us in here now, remember."

DarkReign2021
10-20-2012, 02:29 AM
ODST receieved so much hate, but I think the big reason it caught so much flak was the lack of a multiplayer (which is pretty pathetic when you think about it.)

I think if they'd have just marketed it as Single-player DLC for Halo 3 like they'd originally planned it would've gone over better. That would've eliminated the expectation of new features, which would've made it all the more successful because of the sandbox world, modified weapons, and various little features like the VISR (which I really want to make a comeback in the Halo franchise even if it just performs the same functions as the analyze feature in Anniversary. I loved the artistic style of VISR mode.)

Would've been pretty cool as Episodic content actually. The way the Campaign was built with the Openness of New Mombasa and the episode-like flashbacks would've lent itself better to a chapter or two being release every month. Spacing out the exploration and building the suspense of the story-based missions would've made the whole adventure more climactic.

theNomad
10-20-2012, 03:53 AM
ODST receieved so much hate, but I think the big reason it caught so much flak was the lack of a multiplayer (which is pretty pathetic when you think about it.)

I think if they'd have just marketed it as Single-player DLC for Halo 3 like they'd originally planned it would've gone over better. That would've eliminated the expectation of new features, which would've made it all the more successful because of the sandbox world, modified weapons, and various little features like the VISR (which I really want to make a comeback in the Halo franchise even if it just performs the same functions as the analyze feature in Anniversary. I loved the artistic style of VISR mode.)

Would've been pretty cool as Episodic content actually. The way the Campaign was built with the Openness of New Mombasa and the episode-like flashbacks would've lent itself better to a chapter or two being release every month. Spacing out the exploration and building the suspense of the story-based missions would've made the whole adventure more climactic.

I didn't overly like ODST at first, due to all the walking around the New Mombasa street plan, the ammount of times I must have said to myself "hold on a minute I've been here before" got beyond a joke.

But I agree some of the levels really rocked like uplift reserve, the firefight was really good. It was fun you had to complete the campaign level to unlock the FF maps. And Martin O'Donnells noir influenced soundtrack was a gem. Plus it was released at a cut-down retail price on its initial release so couldn't really complain.

As for FUD#3 it was good, great for some real action to finally happen. I hope episode 4 features Frankie O'Connor battling an energy sword wielding elite with a mop or toilet plunger.

RBmaster9345
10-20-2012, 04:56 AM
But I agree some of the levels really rocked like uplift reserve, the firefight was really good. It was fun you had to complete the campaign level to unlock the FF maps. And Martin O'Donnells noir influenced soundtrack was a gem. Plus it was released at a cut-down retail price on its initial release so couldn't really complain.

As for FUD#3 it was good, great for some real action to finally happen. I hope episode 4 features Frankie O'Connor battling an energy sword wielding elite with a mop or toilet plunger.

I STILL listen to ODST soundtracks when its lightly raining outside.

And Lol, we will for sure see some Elite bad-assery next week. Or maybe watch the Chief smack a few of em down hard.

LickableLemons7
10-20-2012, 09:50 AM
I STILL listen to ODST soundtracks when its lightly raining outside.

I thought I was the only one who did that...it started to rain a bit in my area last week when I was driving around with my girlfriend. As soon as drops began to hit the windshield, I instinctively reached towards the ODST disc, and began to play Deference for Darkness. My girlfriend pointed out my reaction time and busted out laughing.

Man, I feel like going on a Halo binge right now. Starting out with listening to the soundtracks. I still frequently listen to both volumes of the Halo 2 soundtrack. One of the best videogame soundtacks of all time. High Charity Suite is great.

Speaking of the soundtracks, and going off topic for a bit here, has anyone pre-ordered the Halo 4 soundtrack? I've listened to some demos of the tracks, and the only song I sort of like is The Beauty of Cortana. I doubt I'll get it, if that's the only song I enjoy hearing. I wish Marty stayed, but Neil Davidge is decent. It'll take me a while to get used the the shift in the music...

DarkReign2021
10-20-2012, 02:48 PM
I enjoy what I've heard so far. I haven't put down the pre-order yet though. I'm waiting for it to come out and I'm putting down an Amazon order for the Soundtrack from every Halo game since I don't own the physical copies of any of them. Those are actually numbers 3-10 on my Halo To-Buy list. Art of Halo 4 and Silentium are at the top ^_^

BiggD
10-20-2012, 03:15 PM
I still frequently listen to both volumes of the Halo 2 soundtrack. One of the best videogame soundtacks of all time. High Charity Suite is great.....Speaking of the soundtracks, and going off topic for a bit here, has anyone pre-ordered the Halo 4 soundtrack?

I still listen to the Halo 2 Vol. 2 soundtrack on my way to work. High Charity Suite and Delta Halo Suite are my favorite. As for the Halo 4 soundtrack, I went ahead and pre-ordered it seeing as it comes out on Monday and most of the tracks are pretty decent.

Vectorman953
10-20-2012, 05:04 PM
The first time I watched episode 3, I was really worried because none of the students (trained to be observent) were noticing the glowing sword reflected in the "mystery soldier"/spartans visor.

I really feel for Lasky though;
Same thing happened to me the first time I kissed a girl.

DarkReign2021
10-20-2012, 06:57 PM
The first time I watched episode 3, I was really worried because none of the students (trained to be observent) were noticing the glowing sword reflected in the "mystery soldier"/spartans visor.

I really feel for Lasky though;
Same thing happened to me the first time I kissed a girl.

You're first kiss was interrupted by a powerful conglomeration of relgious aliens that are hellbent on using the technology of an extinct civilization to destroy Humanity too? Damn those aliens. They always ruin our chances of getting nookie!

Just rewatched Episode 3 to catch any small stuff I might've missed. Not much to be had in the Live-action portion, but the opening with Cortana I did catch something I missed before. She mentioned something about being slowed down right at the end. I'm wondering if she was referring to FUD as it was going through the Ark portal.

Spoilers for Halo 3,Cryptum, & Primordium:

A lot of people seem to believe that the Ark is an instantaneous portal from one end to the other and that Forward Unto Dawn was only half-inside when it closed. In actuality, the portal is more like Slipspace. It's a long tunnel that tears into an alternate dimension to speed up travel time from Point A to Point B. The Ark portal is effectively the same thing, but on a much faster pace since the Ark was located just outside of the Milky Way Galaxy. The entire ship made it through no problem, but the portal was closed literally a couple seconds too late for the whole ship to have made it out. The chances of this happening of natural causes are astronomically impossible. The chances of the Chief's portion of the ship ending up outside of the Shield World containing the Didact even more so. Since tunneling through the galaxy technically means you're still travelling consistently through the millions of Lightyears it takes to get there, that means dropping the Chief out near Requiem required the portal to close and sever at an impossibly precise moment in the tunnel, not just closing the entrance and exit. In other words, the ship was severed before the Portal ever closed and the Arbiter's portion simply continued to travel until it reach Earth again.

To pull off something this precise, you have to have an extreme level of mastery over the Forerunner levels of Slipspace technology. No human closed it, nor did any Covenant force. Who does this leave?

The Didact, though he's believed to be in Hibernation and additionally, he's a Warrior which leads me to doubt his ability to pull off such a manuever.

The Librarian, at least according to Primordium, is still somewhere in existence. She was a lifeworker and specialized more in the organic aspects of creation. She could potentially have the know how to pull it off, however, since the Ark was ultimately her lifes work.

The monitors. We all know there are at least 7 monitors in existence. 343 GS and 2401 PT are both eliminated, but the other 5 Halo Installations all possesed monitors as well, one of those being the Human-based monitor that used to be Chakas and who was the basis for the creation of the Installation monitors (and he has since assumed the personality of 343, effectively bring Sparky back to life and put him in pursuit of the Librarian.)

Than we also know of the existence of Mendicant Bias, the monitor created to fight the Flood in the war before the rings' activation. Ultimately he was corrupted by the Gravemind and persuaded to fight for him, but after the ring activation and his being left dormant on High Charity for so long, he came to regret his decisions and fled to the Ark, where he has since left terminal messages to the Master Chief explaining his actions and expressing his regrets and desire to right his wrongs. This seems like the most likely culprit responsible because he's see the chief as his opportunity to fix his mistakes. Originally I believed he desired to defeat the Flood through the use of the Chief to right his wrongs, but since learning about the Didact's presence on Requiem and his strong hatred of Humanity, I wonder if MB might just be trying to win back the faith of his own creators through the Chief's arrival and thus awakening of the Didact.

Mendicant Bias would have the technical know how and the super computer reaction times necessary to drop the chief out at an exact pinpoint as well. Even with the impossibility of precision, taking into account that it took 4 years for the chief to drift to Requiem would put this back into the realm of plausibility.

I would like to apologize to anybody that hates all my essay-long posts. I've been using my phone as a web browser forever and it makes me reluctant to type a lot. Now that the 360 has a web browser and I can use my keyboard, I'm free to divulge my volumes of thoughts and ideas and hotheaded opinions on the world again. lol

ReverendSID
10-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Wall of informative textl
A spoiler tag or two might have been nice for folks who haven't finished all the books yet. That aside, you put a lot of thought into that one line didn't you? :p lol

DarkReign2021
10-20-2012, 08:29 PM
A spoiler tag or two might have been nice for folks who haven't finished all the books yet. That aside, you put a lot of thought into that one line didn't you? :p lol

Oops. Isn't this topic marked as Spoilers? I typically refrain from posting Spoiler tags if the topic is, but I may have overlooked it this time. Sorry about that. But yes I did. It's a theory I've thrown around since Halo 3 came out, but the line kind of reaffirms it and things we've learned since H3 have made slight alterations to the train of thought.

ReverendSID
10-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Oops. Isn't this topic marked as Spoilers? I typically refrain from posting Spoiler tags if the topic is, but I may have overlooked it this time. Sorry about that. But yes I did. It's a theory I've thrown around since Halo 3 came out, but the line kind of reaffirms it and things we've learned since H3 have made slight alterations to the train of thought.
Nope, thread and OP are both lacking spoiler warnings. But even so the thread's about FUD and not the books. I don't personally mind. I stopped a few chapters into Cryptium (Just can't get into it as much as I did the first six books for some reason) Haven't bothered with Glassland or Thursday War either. I'll get to them eventually. Probably by the time Halo 5 comes out, lol. Just thinking some others might mind.

As for your theory, I'm not sure if it holds water, but I like it. :)

ReverendSID
10-26-2012, 03:54 PM
This week gave me chills. Anyone else? :)

theNomad
10-26-2012, 04:30 PM
This week gave me chills. Anyone else? :)

I've found a few of the episodes a bit teenzy and lackluster but 4th is an amazing episode, 5 is just not enough we want more. Hope they make future seasons for a cable station maybe.

Chief steps in to save the day, the eye on detail is amazing from the camo energy sword wielding elite to the jackels needler rifles shots shattering into crystal.

ZingZitang
10-26-2012, 05:16 PM
The entire ship made it through no problem, but the portal was closed literally a couple seconds too late for the whole ship to have made it out. . .We've discussed this before, I think Mendicant Bias would be the primary suspect.

But, regardless of who caused it to happen, one thing we know for sure is - like you said - the odds of it happening randomly are astronomical. Someone, or something caused the Chief and Cortana to end up at Requiem.

Haven't been able to watch part 4 yet, Is it the last? Or will we have one more next week?

DarkReign2021
10-26-2012, 07:00 PM
Yeah. I remember discussing this with you once before. That one sentence in Episode 3, though. That just spoke volumes in terms of confirming what was right and what was wrong. Still theoretical, but I've come to better understands some of the physics the series uses that obviously don't exist yet in a real-world scenario. Sadly I'm terrible at physics, but I seem to be really good at understanding the kind of physics you might encounter in Gravity-less space.

This is planned as 5 episodes, so we've got one more coming. I'm curious where they're planning to squeeze in an extra 90 minutes of footage though. I enjoyed the whole story of Hastati Squad, but I wouldn't really want them extending the first 2 episodes a whole lot. I want the majority of the extensions to be in the latter 3 episodes after the Covenant arrive. Or they're always welcome to continue on from the point where Episode 5 ends and just keep showing us the story of Lasky throughout the war up to discovering Requiem. 90 minutes of footage to cover the story of a man caught up in a war/post-war that was 32 years long is pushing it, but maybe skipping the middle portion and focusing on the Infinity at a point up to when the Live Action Infinity Trailer took place would work. I'd like to know more about Lasky and how he actually managed to earn the trust of Parangoski.

ReverendSID
10-27-2012, 12:50 AM
Dark, it sounds you might be misunderstanding a little. The extended version that comes with that LE and will later be released on Blu-Ray isn't extended BY 90 minutes. It's extended TO 90 minutes. So far the first episode has been the longest with a run time of 19 minutes 49 seconds. The combined run time of the 4 so far has been 69 minutes and 13 seconds. This includes each episode having the Machinima opening, a next time, and credits. Which takes up at least a minute of the video. The 5th episode is likely to be no longer than the first, probably shorter. So the combined run time of all 5 will likely be around 85 minutes. At a guess. So the extended will have 5-10 extra minutes after the multiple openings and credits are removed.

RBmaster9345
10-27-2012, 02:54 AM
Omg Dat part 4.

DarkReign2021
10-27-2012, 03:34 AM
Aww :( I had a feeling that's what it was, but I had my hopes up for an extra 90 minutes of footage. lol. Be awesome if the additional content was longer than the entire series itself. I continue to hold out hope for a Halo movie now.

LickableLemons7
10-27-2012, 01:11 PM
Notice how we're getting teased with images and communication with other Spartan IIs?

Chief was talking to Kelly when he picked up Corbulo's survivors.

Kelly is also seen in the Scanned trailer. Announcer mentions her number.

0:55
Halo 4 "Scanned" Trailer - YouTube

We see Fred in the "classified footage" that Sully uncovers.

Chief's gonna have some company in the Reclaimer trilogy.

BiggD
10-27-2012, 04:11 PM
Notice how we're getting teased with images and communication with other Spartan IIs?

0:55

Halo Wiki says that Spartan II is Linda though?

Anyways, who cares. If Kelly is in ANY of the new games this trilogy, I will wet myself. I love her :D

ReverendSID
10-27-2012, 05:04 PM

Well, the particularly interesting bit is that both Kelly and Fred have credits on the IMDB page for Forward Unto Dawn, so it's possible we might see them in episode 5. You know, at the Pelican evac point.

LickableLemons7
10-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Whoops! I think I meant Linda. Nice catch.

BiggD
10-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Whoops! I think I meant Linda. Nice catch.

It's all good man ;)

Darkforce412
10-27-2012, 07:34 PM

thats funny cuz if i remember correctly iv seen alot of military movies and iv never heard a soldier call a female officer a sir. That makes them sound more like a man, and seems kinda rude if u ask me.

Pr0ph3cy
10-27-2012, 09:40 PM
thats funny cuz if i remember correctly iv seen alot of military movies and iv never heard a soldier call a female officer a sir. That makes them sound more like a man, and seems kinda rude if u ask me.

Only in Sifi movies they call them sir. In reality we call them mam

ReverendSID
10-28-2012, 05:40 AM
Only in Sifi movies they call them sir.
Hey, don't forget Cop shows! Isn't it like a requirement that female police captains in tv shows insist on being called sir? :p

DarkReign2021
10-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Halo Wiki says that Spartan II is Linda though?

Anyways, who cares. If Kelly is in ANY of the new games this trilogy, I will wet myself. I love her :D

You can have Kelly. Linda is my girlfriend! You got that?! Lol ^_^ I really hope Linda and the others make an appearance in the new trilogy. They're focused way more on the books than in the past. They even referenced Linda in the 1st level of Halo Anniversary, so according to the game universe she now officially exists as well.

ReverendSID
10-28-2012, 08:06 AM
They even referenced Linda in the 1st level of Halo Anniversary, so according to the game universe she now officially exists as well.
Yeah, they showed Linda in the pod in the first level. But they never made any mention of her leaving that pod before the Chief blew the ship to hell and destroyed Installation 04. So as far as the game universe, she existed but could be dead.

BiggD
10-28-2012, 03:17 PM
You can have Kelly. Linda is my girlfriend! You got that?! Lol ^_^ I really hope Linda and the others make an appearance in the new trilogy. They're focused way more on the books than in the past. They even referenced Linda in the 1st level of Halo Anniversary, so according to the game universe she now officially exists as well.

I'll be sure to keep my eyes off Linda ;) I love how they're incorporated in the books, both in the early novels & most recent. I'm so behind on the Kilo-Five series, as I'm just about done with Glasslands. Are Halsey, Mendez and the Spartan gang in Thursday War?

Yeah, they showed Linda in the pod in the first level. But they never made any mention of her leaving that pod before the Chief blew the ship to hell and destroyed Installation 04. So as far as the game universe, she existed but could be dead.

LOL. Very valid point!

DarkReign2021
10-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Halsey gets a couple minor mentions and one small part in the book, but Mendez and the S-II's and S-III's are nowhere to be seen or mentioned in this book. They have to be off doing something, though. Doubt it would have any effect on Halo 4 though since Thursday War still takes place 4 years before the game starts.

Well according to First Strike, when The Pillar or Autumn was detonated, it automated the safety systems that would flush the Cryo Pods into the vacuum of Space with minor life-support systems and thrusters to keep the pod from spinning uncontrollably. They were designed so that other ships would be able to recover survivors in the event of an emergency where people couldn't be revived in time. The chief actually completely forgets about Linda in his time on Installation 04 because she's practically dead on ice. Rescuing her was complete luck.

BiggD
10-28-2012, 05:59 PM
Halsey gets a couple minor mentions and one small part in the book, but Mendez and the S-II's and S-III's are nowhere to be seen or mentioned in this book. They have to be off doing something, though. Doubt it would have any effect on Halo 4 though since Thursday War still takes place 4 years before the game starts.

Thanks you for clearing that up, man. Hopefully I can finish the last two chapters and try to finish Thursday War before the 6th so I'm all up to date.

The chief actually completely forgets about Linda in his time on Installation 04 because she's practically dead on ice. Rescuing her was complete luck.

His luck never seems to fail him.

ReverendSID
10-29-2012, 01:57 AM
Well according to First Strike...
But that's my point. Your first comment was about the Games. Yes, they showed her in the first game. But the only evidence that she's alive after that game is in the books, not any of the games. The games don't even explain that she was near death in that cryo tube. They offer no explanation why she wasn't revived right along side the Chief. Just, she's there, and we're leaving her there.

DarkReign2021
10-29-2012, 03:25 AM
But that's my point. Your first comment was about the Games. Yes, they showed her in the first game. But the only evidence that she's alive after that game is in the books, not any of the games. The games don't even explain that she was near death in that cryo tube. They offer no explanation why she wasn't revived right along side the Chief. Just, she's there, and we're leaving her there.

In the past this would've been a point of distress; However, since 343i has declared that they intend to integrate the events in the books, movies, and games into a single seamless experience, the point is moot. Book readers know how she survived, but the games up until the point of that easter egg never even mention that any spartans are still alive aside from the Master Chief. What the Easter Egg does is basically just tell us "Hey, those events that happened in the book? They matter to the game now. If you want to know what becomes of this point, go read the book."

They're building the new Halo games in a way that will reward people that have read all the books and inhale every little detail, but in a way that people who haven't technically won't be alienated. To anybody that has seen this easter egg, but never read any of the books, it's just a meaningless little easter egg and that's that until Linda does or does not come into the game again at any point in the series.

Fatdog86
10-30-2012, 03:01 AM
I was so excited to not have noticed this mini-series until now, because I was able to watch the first 4 episodes back to back..... but now I'm pissed that I have to wait and even more pissed there's only one left. From what I heard last, the movie (which if you watch the trailers, actually does an amazing job of sticking to the story/visuals in every way), is about to be handed over to either some Australian guy I think, or..... Michael Bay, which could destroy the whole thing.

xTGMx INF3RNO
10-30-2012, 10:06 AM
They way it has been done is fantastic. A great film could be made. I'm disappointed its only 5 episodes!

Tsaako
10-30-2012, 02:09 PM
They way it has been done is fantastic. A great film could be made. I'm disappointed its only 5 episodes!

Yeah, it's been really good. If only there was more episodes! :<

Vectorman953
10-31-2012, 05:53 AM
Damnit!
In another one of my absences (see below), I must have missed the whole "not an additional 90 minutes of content, but rather the total is 90 minutes" discussion.

AND NOW I AM SAD (and might as well buy the blue ray)

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcj6f8Zw001qeugeqo1_r1_400.jpg

CGAvnerDune
11-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Only in Sifi movies they call them sir. In reality we call them mam

^ This

As Active Duty military I can tell you with reasonable certanty that there is no instance where calling a female officer Sir is ever appropriate.

This is a hollywood thing that got started with the first Star Trek and just got stuck in every Sci Fi show as jargon afterwards.

exo-apollo
11-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Still holding out for that Neill Blomkamp Halo film!

Hishoa
11-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Mmmm, 'dat Cortana

Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn - Part 5 (Live-Action Halo Series) - YouTube

ReverendSID
11-02-2012, 12:19 PM
Damn that was sweet. The Jackals and the Hunters were done pretty good. Better, I think, than the Elite was. (His mouth never moved. Killed it for me a little that they got in so close but didn't show that one detail)

Did anyone else think Kelly looked a little too much like Kat and Fred a little like Nobel 6?

cab0218
11-02-2012, 03:54 PM
I thought the same thing.

Tsaako
11-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Awesome series. Enjoyed every bit of it.

WHITESTAR 2032
11-03-2012, 03:07 AM
Yes it was they did very good on it and held true to the core of Halo. All without the insane budget Peter Jackson said he would need just to start a Halo movie. This should be a sign to Hollywood to get out of the old ways of big budget crap and get back to the core of a good story and build from there. I a channel like SyFy or USA was smart they'd offer a season run for something like this for Halo.

theNomad
11-03-2012, 03:26 AM
"Ohh crap... I got hunter blood all over my best mjolnir" :uzi:

Loved the final 2 episodes and the 1st, 2nd and 3rd eps kinda dragged.

Would love more, but I'm not holding my breath (who knows maybe they'll make a one off directly to DVD sequel or maybe FUD 2 when Halo 5 is due).

IXISHADOW
11-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Watched them all in one go last night and wow just wow. Words cannot explain how awesome it was. If the film(if it's ever released) is anything like this it'll be definitely worth a watch.

Barad
11-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Really glad I watched these, definitely worth my time they were fantastic!

LickableLemons7
11-04-2012, 04:04 PM
A great finale, I'm excited to recieve my blu-ray copy on December 4th.

http://c3.cduniverse.ws/resized/250x500/movie/347/8832347.jpg

ReverendSID
11-04-2012, 04:29 PM
You know, it wasn't until I'd watched all the episodes 3 times that I finally noticed the big mistake they made with the Chief's armor. He's not wearing Mark IV armor. It doesn't look exactly like any of the armor sets we've seen, but it looks closest to Mark VI which didn't exist in 2525. (Wow, I really did just use the past tense to refer to a future date.... *sigh*)

xTGMx INF3RNO
11-04-2012, 05:51 PM
They have to make a film! Even assassins creed is getting one.

RBmaster9345
11-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Im really happy I pre-ordered the LE, even if the copy is only streamed, still having a movie date with some of my fellow fans to watch this all in one piece. Fantastic quality production.

luis207
11-04-2012, 08:36 PM
I absolutely loved the whole thing. Wish they would make a movie with the same writers.

Pr0ph3cy
11-04-2012, 09:48 PM
Did anyone else think Kelly looked a little too much like Kat and Fred a little like Nobel 6?

you are way off. Kat looks nothing like Kelly and Noble 6 you couldn't see his face unless you're saying his armor then yes there is some similarities but not all Spartans have different armor.

I also would like to see Jun from Reach make appearance in Halo 4 since his death was not shown or is he even dead?

MixMaker1
11-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Series was amazing, some of the best stuff was the Cortana bits at the beginning. I can't wait to watch the story of Halo 4 develop. Her rampancy is insane. The one where she talks about Chief suffering the same fate as her was bone-chilling. I think it's a great dynamic.

As good as these are, imagine Halo 4. One more sleeeeeeeeep!

adz5000
11-04-2012, 11:28 PM
One more sleeeeeeeeep!

Feeling like a kid on christmas eve again ?

I know I am :woop:.

Metaraon
11-05-2012, 05:30 AM
loved it, better then i thought it would. they need to do a big budget one.

BigChocolate82
11-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Excellent series! Quality Production! Between this short series and the novels by Greg Bear and Karen Travis, I'm very excited to see what 343 Industries will do with this next HALO trilogy!