PDA

View Full Version : Used games, do you care or not if it has the original case?

HiddenPandas
09-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Just wondering if anyone else is like me, i.e., You won't buy a used game without original packaging. I can't stand those fugly cases they put games in at gamestop when they don't have the original case. Even worse, the one by my house dosen't even type out the game titles on the packaging, THEY HAND WRITE IT...
So it will look something like this

XBOX 360: AEIHRAHALOFEARDOWN!!11HNHJAF BC

sometimes I wonder how anyone understood what they wrote on the application to get that job...

But thats only with 360 games, Ill usually get a ps2 or xbox game without a case if Its a sweet deal.

Hyperion89
09-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Old games I won't care about, if I wanted to, I could always use a spare jewel case and print out a cover. For newer games, I can't do without a case.

Clipse 2
09-16-2007, 08:18 PM
I'm pretty picky about any packaging period. The original case, manual in near perfect condition, game disk in perfect condition. Just something about the though of reselling it out without the original packaging I don't like.

Fonkey Monkey
09-16-2007, 08:18 PM
if i buy used like off of ebay or something i can do without a manual but never without a case.

i remember the only time i bought a game disc only off of ebay i got DOA4 for $6, and at this time it was going for like $40+. then i gave $5 to razzleson and he got me a case and such. hell of a deal:eek:

Nick G 42390
09-16-2007, 08:26 PM
I too am picky about cases. I like having the cases and manuals. I gotta at least have the case. For instance, I have Rainbow 6 Vegas from game fly and I just did the keep it option so I just have the little paper thing it comes in but I really wish I could get the actual case with a booklet.

Sanction
09-16-2007, 08:55 PM
I don't buy used game period. I hate the fact someone else had it before I did. Only time I will ever get a used game is if me and a friend swap games.

...as for the manuals and cases, I can live without manuals, I only read them if I don't know a control scheme, and even then, what's the harm in mashing buttons?

Maka
09-16-2007, 08:58 PM
I never use the manuals, so I really couldnt care less about them.

But I need cases, with the original paper insert. I cant stand when my games dont look uniform.

But as for used games, I dont really buy them much. You barely get any money off at all, and usually they arent in good condition. Other than that, When you buy a used game, the money goes straight to the retailer's pocket, and the developers dont get a cent from it. I'd rather pay the game company than my local Eb Games.

Pez
09-16-2007, 08:59 PM
I will only buy the used game if it has it's original casing AND booklet.

It's good to be able to cut-down on a few quid on new releases that someone else didn't like, but if it's got damaged casing then it's a big no-no, it will spoil my gaming landscape. ;)

~SS

Cyrex
09-16-2007, 09:05 PM
i would be the same as static storm i have OCD when it comes to my gaming environment i have to buy every game new so it is not damaged and when ever i am done playing i clean everything up and put it back. Strange thing is that i don't care about my room whatsoever so I don't know?

I King Pin 0
09-16-2007, 09:32 PM
I typically buy games used only if I see that I can save at least $20 off them, but I HAVE to have the original case. Manuals not so much. If I had the choice of buying a new game for $60 or a used for $55, I would definately go for the new just to have that extra reasurrance that I will [hopefully] have no problems with the game.

Sanction
09-16-2007, 09:35 PM
I never use the manuals, so I really couldnt care less about them.

But I need cases, with the original paper insert. I cant stand when my games dont look uniform.

But as for used games, I dont really buy them much. You barely get any money off at all, and usually they arent in good condition. Other than that, When you buy a used game, the money goes straight to the retailer's pocket, and the developers dont get a cent from it. I'd rather pay the game company than my local Eb Games.

...that reminds me Maka, you get Star Wars 2 yet?

KewlBrettC
09-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I need the case and packaging, i cant stand them not in uniform

maximumpain21
09-16-2007, 10:16 PM
i wont buy it if it doesnt have the case or the instruction book. i dont know why

KMB 316
09-16-2007, 10:19 PM
it really bugs me if a game isnt in the original case, unless im getting it for like 90% off i really want the case

Smoogle
09-16-2007, 10:23 PM
If it doesn't have the coverart or the case, I don't want it. :p

antilucid
09-17-2007, 12:01 AM
I prefer to have the case. I often trade in games I will never play again or at least very unlikely to.

drno
09-17-2007, 12:43 AM
I don't care, as long as the game works it could be wrapped in toilet paper. I only ever buy games used and then only from gamefly which generally dosen't give you a manual or a case from my experience.

Avelena
09-17-2007, 12:48 AM
If it does not come with the case I immediately decide that the case broke and they the owner did not care about the game either.

09-17-2007, 12:57 AM
It's got to be dirt cheap if I'm going to buy it in anything other than mint condition.

Cause
09-17-2007, 12:59 AM
I do care about the original case but its not that important. I mean i got deals on ebay were it was just the game and not the case. I can't pass up a 13 dollar forza 2 with a case or eragon for 5 dollars lol. I just go on the Internet and download the case covers and make them my self. I got the same paper and everything. (my cousin works at mead so i get free good paper)

SegaSaturnSNK
09-17-2007, 01:10 AM
I buy used games but I return them before the 7 days. I never keep those disgusting used games at Gamestop. If Ebay, then yes, I need the game complete in good to new condition.

xRogue 5x
09-17-2007, 01:14 AM
I'm not picky in the slightest. I really only game on my 360 because now i'm hopelessly addicted to gamerscore. No case, used case, hell a homeless guy could wipe his ass with a disc and then give it to me and I would throw it in and get some points.

And I never hang on to a game unless it's got some kind of multiplayer replay value.

Semp Pi
09-17-2007, 01:23 AM
If the game is very cheap, I usually do not worry about a case/manual, as long as the disc is in good condition. But when I do buy a used game, the case must be in good condition, and the manual must be free of pizza-grease stains.

I tend to collect a bit of older systems, and I am more forgiving if it is a rare title/very old game. For example, I've bought old NES carts that had some kids name written across the game.

DoM cAbAn
09-17-2007, 01:25 AM
I don't buy used games. I like the feel of opening a fresh package to a brand new game. :p But nah, I won't buy a used game because I don't want to have any trouble playing it or trouble with it freezing.

HiddenPandas
09-17-2007, 02:21 AM
There is something to opening that brand new game...

I call it "Fresh Game Smell", akin to "New Car Smell"

Bullet2theface
09-17-2007, 02:42 AM
I'm broke as shit, so If theres a game that works, I don't care if it has a case or manual , If its cheap, I WANT IT!!

Blind x360a
09-17-2007, 02:42 AM
I like new games to have no cases.
Old games I dont care about then i just want the disk to work.

Stickreid
09-17-2007, 02:50 AM
all my games need the original case. if not I won't buy it. I'm that picky. but I relly don't care if it has an instruction manual or not because i never really read it

Hulking Bubba65
09-17-2007, 02:59 AM
I don't usually care about the casing.As long if the game works and it's pretty cheap, It doesn't usually matter for me anyways.

ZiM1021
09-17-2007, 03:14 AM
I wasn't a big fan of buying used games for 360. I don't like discs with scratches so I'm always afraid of getting one in that condition. However, I started buying them recently from my local Gamestop. They don't take discs with scratches so I'm pretty safe.

As for buying used, if I want a game and they got a good deal on a used version, I'll pick it up. It's always best when you save a little cash. When I pick a game, I make sure I can find the best case available out of the used games they're selling but it's rare finding one in brand new condition. They normally include the manual, which I barely use but it's still nice.

J eVeRy DaY 514
09-17-2007, 05:01 AM
i used to care actually, but then it seemed like i was selling back almost all of the games i had bough used. so i don't care anymore.

getbusy1242
09-17-2007, 05:10 AM
Doesn't really matter to me alsong as it works that is all that matters.

Jdm
09-17-2007, 05:50 AM
Unless it's too sweet of a deal, then I don't care. But most of the time I do because I'm anal like that. Yeah, you heard me!:p

Khaos
09-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Given the choice, I'd much rather have the case, but if it's some thing I really want, and can't find anywhere else for a better deal, I just care about getting the manual

Apocobring
09-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Instruction manuals and such I can do without, but I must have the original case. Its been a deal breaker for me in the past =x

Tron
09-17-2007, 06:56 PM
in some cases, id rather have the case than the game

razzleson
09-17-2007, 07:04 PM
I can't believe those of you who won't buy a game if the case isn't right! That's crazy, you do know you can go to Blockbuster or something and easily get a case for a couple bucks if you ask an employee nicely. (see Fonkey's post, it was only that much to cover shipping)

Personally all I care about is the cover and disk. If those are in good condition I could care less if it came in a ziplock baggy that was just dropped in dog shit.

Curtis
09-17-2007, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't buy a game if it isn't in the case either.

I'd be embarassed for who ever was trying to sell games with out the real cases. It's like there cheap rip-offs or someone who doesn't look after their games.

Semp Pi
09-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Personally all I care about is the cover and disk. If those are in good condition I could care less if it came in a ziplock baggy that was just dropped in dog shit.

I was going by the assumption that when we were discussing the case, it included the paper cover for the game. I have no problems replacing a plastic case (unless its one of the multidisc ones), but I agree with you that the game cover is necessary when buying used.

HiddenPandas
09-18-2007, 07:00 AM
Actually im sure you could buy xbox 360 cases in bulk somewhere, but the covers important.

Something just dosen't "feel" right when you put that odd case in the middle of your collection.

MadMartign
09-20-2007, 08:01 AM
the thing that gets me if/when i buy a used game is they put those stupid price stickers directly on the case, and they are a pain to get off cleanly...

also, does it bother anyone else that when u buy a NEW game at gamestop, its not wrapped in plastic.. i somehow feel that they could easily be selling me a used game as new.

and I have gamefly and I thought it says when you buy a game with the keep it option they send you the original case and manual??

Legends xExilex
09-20-2007, 11:16 AM
If I am getting a used game I want to make sure it is in good condition. Both of my halo games 1 and 2 both have (only on xbox) on them so they are from the oringinal copies before it came out on PC.

Steelhead
09-20-2007, 11:27 AM
As long as the disc is in good condition I couldn't care less about the case. I'm not a collector or anything so the cases don't matter to me at all.

SkillfulMmd
09-21-2007, 10:36 AM
i really like mine in good quality so i have to have orginal case

Semp Pi
09-21-2007, 03:25 PM
the thing that gets me if/when i buy a used game is they put those stupid price stickers directly on the case, and they are a pain to get off cleanly...

I've done some experimenting with different solvents to address this problem, and I've found that baby/bath oil is by far the best way to get it off. Rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover doesn't always do the job well. The baby oil has handled the toughest of jobs for me, and leaves the cases looking new.

Just try to remove the sticker as much as possible, so you are left with more glue than paper. Just dip a Q-tip in the baby oil, and the rub the sticker spot. The glue should dissolve instantly. The only thing you are left with is a greasy case (not sticky). Cleaning it up with a towel or just rubbing it with your fingers will remove any excess oil remaining.

Magooush
09-21-2007, 03:28 PM
I ask for the original casing, but if they don't have it, Oh well..

It just makes me think they either pick the discs off of the street or have special operations to go into peoples houses and steal the discs but leave the cases so its not as noticeable and maybe the person will think they lost it.

JJBDude
09-21-2007, 03:35 PM
I wasn't fussy at all with the old gen, I had chipped PS2 and Xbox's so I got used to bad quality covers and stuff my dad printed off the Internet. However I made the good choice of staying legal with my 360 and therefore I want my game collection to look proper too, therefore I wont buy a game without it's cover. I'm not fussed about a Manual though.

kragore138
09-21-2007, 03:44 PM
I need the cases its just nice to see all your games all lined up. Im sad like that. :)

Most Frantic
09-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Obviously it's nice to have the case, and if it comes with the book it's even better. But if you're getting a used game for under $20 sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

iskoot
09-21-2007, 04:16 PM
When I buy a used game...which is rare...usually only for super old games, like Madden 06 or whatever, it always has to come with the original case & manual.

Dartmor
09-21-2007, 05:07 PM
I am buying used games here and there and I was pretty lucky so far with ebay. Most of them been like described and in mint condition, except one.

I am a collector and I do all I can to keep my stuff in mint condition, so yes: I will only include a game into my collection if it has the original manual and packaging, nothing less.