PDA

View Full Version : My Halo 4 experience at NYCC

Ty-Rex
10-13-2012, 08:40 PM
So yeah, I got to play Halo 4 at New York Comic Con yesterday. I waited on line for about an hour and a half to play the game, and it was set up for Dominion on Meltdown with two teams of six playing at a time. They had the game set to end after 8 minutes if no team hit the score limit to win, but my team evidently didn't need that.

Game starts out and I realize I didn't customize the loadouts since I spent the pregame time setting my call tag up to say 'POOP' and looking for the option to invert my Y-axis. So I pick a loadout that had thruster and DMR and I go into our base to capture it. After we get it, I see a red dot outside the base, so I go out to see who's there, and I get rocketed. I then respawn right next to the base, so I go back in, manage to live through one rocket (the blast radius is so small) but then I'm taken out by another. Who cares, though, because I spawned outside the base again, I dodge a rocket, and take the guy out before he can capture our base. I recapture the base, pick up the launcher he had which still had two more shots in it somehow, and I make my way outside.

I see some fighting going on in the distance, so I make my way over there, miss a rocket, pull out my DMR, and then... the game ended.

Victory. We shut them out. 300 - 0. We only played for about a minute and a half. I took off the headset and looked at the other people on my team and we were all confused. No one knew what happened. We waited 90 minutes to play for 90 seconds. A guy cosplaying as Master Chief was standing behind me as I played. I put the controller down and said, "That's it. It's over Chief. I'm so sad." Master Chief guy then put down the foam assault rifle he was carrying, put out his arms and hugged me. It was the comfort I needed.

At this point we were starting to move out of the play area, and as we were leaving, a woman who worked for 343 stopped us and told us that no one had ever gotten a shut out since they made the game. Whether this was entirely true or not, I don't know, but she did give the six of us Halo 4 t-shirts that they said they had no more of earlier. I also grabbed a few cards with codes on them for some Halo 4 avatar t-shirts which I'll post later since I forgot them at home.

I also got a video of the Master Chief cosplayer playing Halo 4. The footage quality isn't amazing, but it's still pretty neat.

Master Chief Plays Halo 4 At NYCC - YouTube

So yeah, overall, I didn't get to play the game much, but having the first shut out in Halo 4 is pretty cool even if I have no proof. I'll put up a picture of the shirt later too.

Non-Halo related stuff in spoiler.
All of Coheed and Cambria was at Comic Con and I got them all to sign a vinyl of the new album. I got a picture with Claudio too which is awesome, even though I'm making a weird face because I'm leaning over at an awkward angle and my friend took fucking forever to take the picture. All you have to do is push the big button, how hard is that? Very, apparently.

ReverendSID
10-13-2012, 10:13 PM
Can't be easy playing with those gloves. Or that helmet for that matter. :p
Not sure if I should congratulate you or offer commiserations on your win.

Eski Boi
10-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Awesome stuff!

LickableLemons7
10-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Seems like you had a fun time. Wish I could've been up there. They never have fancy gaming events in Virginia.

theNomad
10-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Thats dedication waiting so long for a game under 2 minutes, did I just see that cosplay Master Chief run past a palm tree in meltdown ? Thats like seeing a polar bear on a tropical island.

BiggD
10-14-2012, 12:53 AM
Wish I could have gone seeing I live in Jersey, but I just couldn't get off from work any of the 4 damn days :/

Looks like you had a great time. Awesome costume. I cannot wait to be able to play the multiplayer for myself! That is of course, once I beat the campaign. :)

Ty-Rex
10-14-2012, 03:28 AM
Thats dedication waiting so long for a game under 2 minutes, did I just see that cosplay Master Chief run past a palm tree in meltdown ? Thats like seeing a polar bear on a tropical island.
I don't know what part of the video you seen that, but it's likely just some other type of object that just looks weird from the phone's recording quality.

Wish I could have gone seeing I live in Jersey, but I just couldn't get off from work any of the 4 damn days :/
Living a ten minute train ride from New York City is really the best thing in the world. All the benefits of going out in the city with none of the living in New York costs. Sucks about not being able to get off work though.

Here's a pic of the stuff I got and also a fake plastic plant.
http://i.imgur.com/Mq6nT.jpg

They gave everyone the Halo 4 Vote poster, but the shirts were only being given out to the first 100 or so people to play each day. They were saying you would get a shirt if you got 20 kills and no deaths which seemed impossible in an 8 minute game.

As I said in the OP, I grabbed 3 of these cards they were giving out that give you a Halo 4 shirt for you avatar. Apparently it's some sort of cross-promotion for iHeartRadio. Each one of the cards has a male and female shirt on it. I don't really want them, so here you go! is one because I realized almost immediately how tedious this is to do and I'd rather just do this tomorrow! Hooray for being lazy!

Male:
V4T3M-VRPY2-WKYFX-VT6VW-JVQYZ

Female:
99TQT-9KXTP-34TR3-FQVXW-DVGTZ

BiggD
10-14-2012, 04:18 AM
Living a ten minute train ride from New York City is really the best thing in the world. All the benefits of going out in the city with none of the living in New York costs. Sucks about not being able to get off work though.

Yeah, that must be so convienent and nice to live close. I'm not too far either, only 30 minute car drive but damn work man. I'm hoping to be able to get the chance to go next year for sure though!

And damnit! I was going to redeem one of the codes but looks like it was already used :p

Ty-Rex
10-14-2012, 05:10 PM
And damnit! I was going to redeem one of the codes but looks like it was already used :p
Luckily the perks of this not being anything official means I can do whatever I want, so I just pm'd you one of the other male codes since I'm assuming you're a dude.

Anyway, here's the other male code and the two other female codes.

Male:
HKD2H-72793-P6Y36-DXPDD-YPC6Z

Female:
XPWFR-6MMHJ-7GWF4-6MGV2-MGKFZ
9Y9CK-JGTF6-JVF2C-9MQRC-G62FZ

cab0218
10-14-2012, 05:21 PM
I redeemed the Male code thanks!

BiggD
10-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Luckily the perks of this not being anything official means I can do whatever I want, so I just pm'd you one of the other male codes since I'm assuming you're a dude.

You assumed correctly my dude. I just got back to your message, but in case it didn't do through, thanks man!

Hishoa
10-17-2012, 08:15 AM
So you spawn outside your base every single time, statistically just a few seconds away from the person inside capturing it? That seems a bit slanted towards the defending team to seem to consistently spawn near the base, especially if multiple teammate were to spawn nearby in a relatively short time. It worries me a tad, actually.

Ty-Rex
10-17-2012, 07:11 PM
I redeemed the Male code thanks!
You assumed correctly my dude. I just got back to your message, but in case it didn't do through, thanks man!
Yep, I got it! Enjoy guys and anyone who redeemed the female code if it has even been used!
So you spawn outside your base every single time, statistically just a few seconds away from the person inside capturing it? That seems a bit slanted towards the defending team to seem to consistently spawn near the base, especially if multiple teammate were to spawn nearby in a relatively short time. It worries me a tad, actually.
Yeah, it was really bad to be honest. Maybe it was because that was technically our home base, but yeah, I did just respawned a few feet outside the base 2 times in a row while someone was trying to capture it. Hell, when I eventually did kill the guy, his shield looked like it just finished recharging from our previous fight.

The build that they had at Comic Con isn't the final build, so maybe it's something they fixed or at worst it's something that can be fixed in forge with a playlist update.

ReverendSID
10-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Yeah, it was really bad to be honest. Maybe it was because that was technically our home base, but yeah, I did just respawned a few feet outside the base 2 times in a row while someone was trying to capture it. Hell, when I eventually did kill the guy, his shield looked like it just finished recharging from our previous fight.

The build that they had at Comic Con isn't the final build, so maybe it's something they fixed or at worst it's something that can be fixed in forge with a playlist update.
Well, there's always a bit of randomness with respawns (or there should be anyway) I've had games in previous Halo titles where I respawned in exactly the same place a couple times in a row, it's just luck. In this case your good, his bad. They only put so many respawn points on a map and it picks from those based on a couple factors. You controlled the base, there was only one enemy anywhere nearby and that point got put into the shuffle. *shrug* I don't see a problem with that happening in one game. If it happens all the time then they screwed up their shuffle and it needs to be fixed. I mean, waiting all that time for a game that went that fast sucks. But getting a shutout's gotta be worth something, right? :)

Ty-Rex
10-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Well, there's always a bit of randomness with respawns (or there should be anyway) I've had games in previous Halo titles where I respawned in exactly the same place a couple times in a row, it's just luck. In this case your good, his bad. They only put so many respawn points on a map and it picks from those based on a couple factors. You controlled the base, there was only one enemy anywhere nearby and that point got put into the shuffle. *shrug* I don't see a problem with that happening in one game. If it happens all the time then they screwed up their shuffle and it needs to be fixed. I mean, waiting all that time for a game that went that fast sucks.
I'm assuming it's like you said. I know I've had countless good and bad respawns over the course of all the Halos, I just think it sticks out a bit more since this was 100% good respawns in 1 game. I still think the game will be fine. I didn't really notice anyone else in other games spawning like that, but I also couldn't tell any of the map apart.

But getting a shutout's gotta be worth something, right? :) It was worth a cool medium size t-shirt when I wear a large. :(

ReverendSID
10-17-2012, 11:53 PM
It was worth a cool medium size t-shirt when I wear a large. :(
Yeah, you'd think more game companies would make a wider range of sizes for their promotional t-shirts. When I was working at Gamestop way back when I got at least half a dozen t-shirts from various promo's only a couple were large, rest were medium. Of course I wore a 3X back then. 3XLT or 4X now (depending on manufacturer) Gave most of them away to my tiny friends. I kept the hats and beenies though. :)

The Bum-Mobile
10-18-2012, 01:36 AM
I was there too, bra! The Chief's head was way smaller in person.

We also nearly got a shut-out, I think it was 300-10. Waiting in line for more than an hour only to kick the other team's ass in a couple of minutes. And the posters they gave sucked! I don't need to be told to vote; I'm not a fucking idiot. Give me something cool.

Ty-Rex
10-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Yeah, you'd think more game companies would make a wider range of sizes for their promotional t-shirts. When I was working at Gamestop way back when I got at least half a dozen t-shirts from various promo's only a couple were large, rest were medium. Of course I wore a 3X back then. 3XLT or 4X now (depending on manufacturer) Gave most of them away to my tiny friends. I kept the hats and beenies though. :)
Well I'd imagine it costs more to manufacture a larger shirt so that's why they limit it to small, medium, large and XL for the most part. I can't see them doing anything higher than that though, and 3XLT or 4XL is preeeetyyyyy gigantic.

I was there too, bra! The Chief's head was way smaller in person.
Haha yeah, everyone was saying his head looked tiny. There was a dude in white Recon armor and his outfit was amazing. Everything was proportional, accurate to the game and he even had this cool speaker thing so when he talked it sounded like he was talking out of a walkie talkie. He was talking a bunch of shit on the guy I recorded too. They should have gotten in a fight. Shit would have been hilarious.

We also nearly got a shut-out, I think it was 300-10. Waiting in line for more than an hour only to kick the other team's ass in a couple of minutes. And the posters they gave sucked! I don't need to be told to vote; I'm not a fucking idiot. Give me something cool.
The poster was so goddamn cumbersome to get home also. It's was crazy windy that day. I had to take the PATH back home, and of course, it's packed to the brim at that point so I'm trying to hold it close to me so it doesn't get messed up. Now the poster is just sitting in the corner and I'm sure I'll never do a damn thing with it. So not worth the effort.

The Bum-Mobile
10-18-2012, 09:27 PM
I feel your pain. I was trying to keep eveything I got nice but posters sticking out of the bag, stuff just messes up. The shirt looks like it wasn't worth the effort either. By time I got to play they were well past their giveaway limit, and you had to do the 20-0 thing to get it. For a shirt like that, I'll pass.