PDA

View Full Version : Standard Edition buyers to received early access to Specializations as well.

Hishoa
10-16-2012, 04:32 AM
This was sent out in an email by Microsoft, I'm assuming to those associated with an Xbox Live account.

http://i.imgur.com/bik0j.jpg?1

Here's a source (http://view.engage.xbox.com/?j=fe9d16717764067a71&m=feca167070610c7c&ls=fe6512707d65077f7116&l=feb81c7877610d7a&s=fe1f1774736d037d7d1679&jb=ff951579&ju=fe5f10707563037d7d12&uid=82648354&tid=&r=0).

iBuzz7S
10-16-2012, 04:54 AM
This kinda sucks for those who have pre-ordered the more expensive editions of the game. It also kinda defeats the purpose of it if they are just going to give the contents away.

Then again, those with collectors editions and whatnot, they are going to profit from the sale(s) of the contents.

OceanH
10-16-2012, 06:07 AM
I hope there's a backlash in 343's forums from Limited Edition buyers.

Veedrock
10-16-2012, 06:25 AM
Pretty sure I'm gonna cancel my LE preorder, I'm not exactly dying to play this Day 1 and the LE will probably continue to be readily available post-launch like previous Halo games.

Somebody help push me over the edge.

Hishoa
10-16-2012, 06:59 AM
Pretty sure I'm gonna cancel my LE preorder, I'm not exactly dying to play this Day 1 and the LE will probably continue to be readily available post-launch like previous Halo games.

You called (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=391896)?

Jet1337
10-16-2012, 09:26 AM
Like I've said a long time ago, what's the point of pre-ordering games? The bonuses you get are usually shit and the game isn't going to run out in stock. Am I missing something?

BiggD
10-16-2012, 10:48 AM

Don't bother canceling it dude. The LE brings more than just the specializations so I don't see what the big deal is. The steel box looks sweet, FUD is still included and you get the War Games map pack pass. I'd say just keep the LE.

I hope there's a backlash in 343's forums from Limited Edition buyers.

I don't see why there should be one. As I stated in the comment above, the LE brings more than just the specializations. I'm sure people who pre-ordered the LE, pre-ordered it for more than just the specializations.

cab0218
10-16-2012, 01:49 PM
It is not right that they are doing this. I guess they wanted everyone to have an advantage. I think we should complain about this because this was supposed to be just for LE buyers and was being talked about as a bonus. If they are saying everyone is going to have early access to the specializations then they need to add another exclusive. I was getting the LE edition regardless but I think it is still warented.

MixMaker1
10-16-2012, 06:59 PM
It's pretty lame to do this, that being said, still doing LE.

cab0218
10-16-2012, 08:51 PM
I contacted Microsoft about it since they own 343i. Im thinking this was Microsoft's decision . I think I will call them and ask to speak someone in charge of this.

Hishoa
10-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Don't bother canceling it dude.

I think he should, actually. Read below for reasoning.

The LE brings more than just the specializations so I don't see what the big deal is.

It isn't just about the specializations anymore; that was simply the nail in the coffin for many who pre-ordered LE.

FUD is still included

If by included you mean a code to stream FUD online, you'd be correct. However, one would assume LE purchasers were receiving a physical copy of FUD. That is not the case. As far as anyone's concerned, you might as well watch it on Youtube.

and you get the War Games map pack pass.

Yet you could purchase the standalone War Games pack at a retailer and receive two helmets and an emblem for $25 that aren't included in the LE.

So essentially the only exclusive items in your LE are a few weapon skins, a couple avatar items and a packet of paper. You're also getting a steel case, but considering AC3 comes with an exclusive steel case by simply preordering it, that doesn't say much for H4's LE. Everything else proclaimed as "exclusive" in the LE is potentially available to any and all players at H4 launch.

I don't see why there should be one. As I stated in the comment above, the LE brings more than just the specializations. I'm sure people who pre-ordered the LE, pre-ordered it for more than just the specializations.

I hope I've helped you understand why many players would be upset by the way Microsoft's handled Halo 4's Limited Edition.

BiggD
10-17-2012, 12:10 AM
So essentially the only exclusive items in your LE are a few weapon skins, a couple avatar items and a packet of paper. You're also getting a steel case, but considering AC3 comes with an exclusive steel case by simply preordering it, that doesn't say much for H4's LE. Everything else proclaimed as "exclusive" in the LE is potentially available to any and all players at H4 launch. I hope I've helped you understand why many players would be upset by the way Microsoft's handled Halo 4's Limited Edition.

I totally understand what you're trying to get at dude. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's as I said, the standalone pass includes two hideous helmets and an average looking emblem. As for the FUD, we still get access to it, which is good enough for me to be able to watch on my Xbox, not on my laptop or desktop. I understand why players would be upset, and these are probably the ones who only buy Halo for the multiplayer, but that doesn't stop me and several other dedicated Halo fans who are deeply connected and thrive off the Halo Universe from purchasing the sexy Steelbook and its content.

Hishoa
10-17-2012, 02:15 AM
I totally understand what you're trying to get at dude. Don't take this the wrong way, but it's as I said, the standalone pass includes two hideous helmets and an average looking emblem. As for the FUD, we still get access to it, which is good enough for me to be able to watch on my Xbox, not on my laptop or desktop. I understand why players would be upset, and these are probably the ones who only buy Halo for the multiplayer, but that doesn't stop me and several other dedicated Halo fans who are deeply connected and thrive off the Halo Universe from purchasing the sexy Steelbook and its content.

Yeah, I get you. Just, for a Limited Edition of a Halo game, I would compare it to previous Halo games and hope to be equally thrilled or even more mindblowing, and I feel many if not most would be disappointed. Diablo 3's LE came with a Diablo-styled USB stick & statue as well as a truly-exclusive in-game item. It also unlocked exclusive items in other games, WoW & Starcraft 2, if I'm correct. I don't know though, I understand it's worthwhile if you're into the lore and backstory, but it's hard to argue that it's underwhelming at the same time.

BiggD
10-17-2012, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I get you. Just, for a Limited Edition of a Halo game, I would compare it to previous Halo games and hope to be equally thrilled or even more mindblowing, and I feel many if not most would be disappointed. Diablo 3's LE came with a Diablo-styled USB stick & statue as well as a truly-exclusive in-game item. It also unlocked exclusive items in other games, WoW & Starcraft 2, if I'm correct. I don't know though, I understand it's worthwhile if you're into the lore and backstory, but it's hard to argue that it's underwhelming at the same time.

I can agree with all of this. This is how I see it: 343i should have scrapped this Limited Edition and made a 'Mythic' or 'Legendary' Edition that brings a significant amount of exclusives, figure/statue/physical object pertaining to Halo 4 (for the fans who love collecting these sorts of things) & other countless goodies pertaining to the Halo Universe. Smack a $150-$180 price tag on it, and you would have a great Edition.

But even then, Microsoft would pull some stunt near release and many would be upset. In the end, I love Halo too much too pass up this LE.

xXmyxxmastaXx
10-17-2012, 03:17 PM
i cant wait for the LE pass users to buy the pass again just to get the helmets and rage.

BiggD
10-17-2012, 03:26 PM
i cant wait for the LE pass users to buy the pass again just to get the helmets and rage.

They won't because the helmets don't even look good.

TwiliTerror
10-17-2012, 04:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but from all I've read about the specializations (The Halo Bulletin 10.10.2012 (http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2012/10/10/The-Halo-Bulletin-101012-.aspx)) you can't even pick a specialization until you hit SR50, so the whole being early seems kinda pointless regardless of how you get them (Limited Edition or Playing before Nov 20th).

xXmyxxmastaXx
10-18-2012, 03:24 AM
all but 2 or 3 look shitty regardless and the strider helmet is some of the best looking. but ill just let the majority of the le buyers find out on their own that they got played

cab0218
10-18-2012, 07:29 PM
They are now locking topics on this issue on the Halo Waypoint and my account was suspended till tomorrow because I brought it up again on a topic that was on the new Halo Bulletin. They are trying to cover it up instead of fixing the issue. The Moderators on there are very rude and if you call them out on it then suspend you. They seem to be taking 343i and Microsoft's side and calling everyone bitches. I will be contacting someone about this since I think it is unprofessional.

theNomad
10-18-2012, 10:04 PM
They are now locking topics on this issue on the Halo Waypoint and my account was suspended till tomorrow because I brought it up again on a topic that was on the new Halo Bulletin. They are trying to cover it up instead of fixing the issue. The Moderators on there are very rude and if you call them out on it then suspend you. They seem to be taking 343i and Microsoft's side and calling everyone bitches. I will be contacting someone about this since I think it is unprofessional.

:mad:
They locked a topic I made about Deceptive Marketing on waypoint and rold me if I wanted to keep speaking about it use the specialization thread, but I made much more points. I questioned them and they made a threat to ban me if I remade another one.

Limited Edition Contents

War Games Map Packs: The Limited Edition includes access to nine maps - three future competitive multiplayer map packs, each including three locations, available for download post-launch on Xbox LIVE.

Specializations: Receive launch day access to six Specializations, available on Xbox LIVE, and use them, one at a time, to achieve higher ranks in your Spartan career. In addition to gaining access to new ranks, Specializations unlock new customization options.

The Special Edition of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn, a 90-minute extended version of the live-action digital series which will take fans back to the terrifying beginning of the Human/Covenant war, when the Master Chief inspired a young cadet who would become a leader aboard the UNSC’s greatest vessel ever: the UNSC Infinity.

Digital Content also included:

Bonus in-fiction bonus content expanding the characters and stories of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn
Special Featurette: Bringing Gaming into RealityMaking of Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn

Digital Content through Xbox LIVE

Unique In-Game Emblem
PrimeUNSC Assault Rifle Skin
PrimeIn-game Spartan-IV Armor and Skin
Recruit Armor with Prime Skin

My main gripe was hearing FUD extended isn't on a DVD but instead is streamed (not even downloaded). So we never actually get to own it. But the original marketing as shown here clearly shows it as included and not in the digital downloads segment.

Plus the specializations by the time we reach sr50 will be available to everyone. I don't mind everyone getting the perks but it was wrong to market them to LE buyers to make the package seem better than it really is. And the Recruit skin is the basic skin all players get, so I'm hearing thats another thing we arn't actually getting.

Its a totally pointless package now, other than being cosmetically better looking. We paid extra for LIMITED EDITION and none of the contents seem LIMITED. Way to shaft the players who are paying most for the game.

cab0218
10-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Im glad that I was not the only one who got treated like this. Who was the Mod that threatened you? The Mod that was rude to me was snickerdoodle. I was also just told in an e-mail that I harassed a Mod and that 343 is now looking into it. I did not harass anyone all I said was that snickerdoodle seemed to be sticking up for Microsoft and 343 and I thought that was wrong when we had legit questions.

Hishoa
10-19-2012, 04:42 AM
I believe Snickerdoodle became much more "rude" and aggressive when that 76pg topic about the lack of exclusivity of the Limited Edition ultimately turned into a thread dedicated to bashing BS Angel and claiming she "fucked the fanbase". Understandably he took offense to that and closed the thread.

Up until that point however, all he did was close duplicate/similar topics and link the OP to the current on-going thread about the LE-issues, which I thought was fine for the most part. It wasn't until after the closing of the mega-thread that he exclaimed that any new topics regarding the matter would be instantly closed.

cab0218
10-19-2012, 05:19 AM
Still its not right how he handled it. No matter what you cannot lash out at people like that. People did go overboard but he could have handled it better. I think its wrong that there is nothing stated about the issue. They could have said we are looking into it and that would have been better than saying nothing.

Son of Kyuss
10-19-2012, 06:43 AM
Well, I know what I'll be doing when I head into EBGames to pick up Assassin's Creed 3, I just can't see myself buying the LE anymore.

343i and Microsoft have handled this whole "exclusive" content shtick horribly and as much as I love Halo lore it's not worth $99+ for some sheets of paper/schematics that will easily be scanned and put online on the day of release and exclusive packaging.

littlejay
10-19-2012, 12:08 PM
I've not seen anything about the multiplayer map packs being sold together. When did they announce this?

Rednacht
10-20-2012, 08:55 AM
It kind of came in under the radar that the map pass can be purchased for the regular edition. Only through constant questions being fired at BSangel did we find out that the map pass in the LE doesn't come with the two helmets.

Rednacht
10-20-2012, 09:37 AM

Mods on halo forums have been banning people for any reason for a long time now. Example, couple months after halo 3 came out somebody new to bungie.net posted a thread in the wrong forum. While everybody else was insulting him over a very obvious mistake, I kindly, and with no air of negativity, pointed him in the right direction. A mod gave me week long ban from the forums and his reason why was (in his words) "Don't post in spam topics." No warning or anything. I basically stopped posting there after that.

The mods on Halo 4's forum (most of whom have probably slithered their way over from the bungie forums) are some of the most power-drunk, uptight assholes I have ever seen. I barely even go there anymore because the amount of idiocy, on both an administrative and community level, is absolutely mindboggling and can make the kindest heart go bitter.

BTW 200th post:)

Craphex
10-20-2012, 12:56 PM
So can someone summarise this all up for me?
If I preorder the standard halo 4 I get everything the LE has, digitally?

Vectorman953
10-20-2012, 02:28 PM
So can someone summarise this all up for me?
If I preorder the standard halo 4 I get everything the LE has, digitally?

Things you won't get:
- access to the directors cut Forward unto Dawn movie(s) streaming content (that will probably pop up on youtube/torrents etc)
- the 'data' pack with canon artifacts etc etc
- the season pass of 3 map packs (with 3 maps each) does not come with the standard edition and has to be ordered seperately (see below)
- TBH I'm not sure how the specializations are working. I believe the LE purchasers get immediate access to all 6 of the specializations
- Avatar gear I honestly don't give a shit about

Things you will get:
- IF YOU BUY IT: all 3 map packs in one season pass that costs ~$25. Purchasing it seperately gets you 2 helmets the LE buyers won't get though.
- again, not really sure how specializations are working, but I think non-LE-buyers (if they buy before like the 20th of november) get immediate access to only 2 (out of 6) of the specializations

cab0218
10-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Things you won't get:
- access to the directors cut Forward unto Dawn movie(s) streaming content (that will probably pop up on youtube/torrents etc)
- the 'data' pack with canon artifacts etc etc
- the season pass of 3 map packs (with 3 maps each) does not come with the standard edition and has to be ordered seperately (see below)
- TBH I'm not sure how the specializations are working. I believe the LE purchasers get immediate access to all 6 of the specializations
- Avatar gear I honestly don't give a shit about

Things you will get:
- IF YOU BUY IT: all 3 map packs in one season pass that costs ~$25. Purchasing it seperately gets you 2 helmets the LE buyers won't get though.
- again, not really sure how specializations are working, but I think non-LE-buyers (if they buy before like the 20th of november) get immediate access to only 2 (out of 6) of the specializations

You can only access specializations once you reach SR50 which they said takes as long as it took to reach General in Halo Reach.

Vectorman953
10-20-2012, 03:37 PM
You can only access specializations once you reach SR50 which they said takes as long as it took to reach General in Halo Reach.

Also, and this is an important part: two of the Specializations – Pioneer and Wetwork – will be available at launch. The rest will come online later…unless you purchase the Halo 4 Limited Edition, in which case you’ll have access to all eight at launch.

[Source] (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/15/halo-4-specializations-will-change-halo-multiplayer-forever)

I think the whole SR50 thing is the normal unlock time for the whole list of options if you don't preorder the LE. Like the engineer becoming available at SR10, etc.

punker
10-20-2012, 03:52 PM
Sounds to me like there's a difference between "immediate" access for the LE buyers, and "early" access for standard.

Just the same, I'm happy with the plain ol' version, especially now knowing that I'll get the specializations early, since that was the only part of the LE that I cared about.

Rednacht
10-21-2012, 12:08 AM
Normally you would have to choose only one specialization when you hit sr50 (wetwork and pioneer are available at launch) and then complete the levels for that specialization to unlock another. With the LE, all specializations are unlocked when you reach sr50. Microsoft is now offering the same thing to regular edition owners if you play the game before nov. 20, all the specializations will be unlocked after nov. 30 for when you reach sr50.
Only difference between LE and Regular regarding specializations now is that LE owners can unlock all specializations before nov. 30 if they manage to reach sr50.

Hishoa
10-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Only difference between LE and Regular regarding specializations now is that LE owners can unlock all specializations before nov. 30 if they manage to reach sr50.

And that seems highly unlikely. The developers initially said that additional specializations would be released gradually "months after release", while LE owners get them from day 1. The very idea of giving SE buyers early access (as opposed to being available over the course of several months) is akin to slapping your LE purchasers in the face being that chances are they wouldn't be close to SR-50 by the time SE players get access.

Rednacht
10-21-2012, 08:22 AM
And that seems highly unlikely. The developers initially said that additional specializations would be released gradually "months after release", while LE owners get them from day 1. The very idea of giving SE buyers early access (as opposed to being available over the course of several months) is akin to slapping your LE purchasers in the face being that chances are they wouldn't be close to SR-50 by the time SE players get access.

From the 10/10/2012 Halo bulletin:

"Purchasers of the Limited Edition and pre-orders in certain territories have launch day access to the remaining six Specializations – although you still need to complete the initial 50 Ranks before you can enlist in one."

Hishoa
10-21-2012, 08:50 AM
From the 10/10/2012 Halo bulletin:

"Purchasers of the Limited Edition and pre-orders in certain territories have launch day access to the remaining six Specializations – although you still need to complete the initial 50 Ranks before you can enlist in one."

I was agreeing with you, actually. My 'unlikely' statement was them reaching SR-50 by Nov. 20th.

Rednacht
10-21-2012, 11:55 PM
hahaha oh :P