PDA

View Full Version : Is the Limited Edition even worth it any more?

Hishoa
10-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Seriously, it seems LE owners are getting shafted by Microsoft as more information leaks out.

Let's run through some comparisons:

-- LE War Games pass comes with the maps only, Standalone War Games pass ($25 in stores) comes with two exclusive helmets and an exclusive Falcon Emblem. Source (https://forums.halowaypoint.com//yaf_postsm1432212_The-Halo-Bulletin--9-19-12.aspx#post1432212).

-- People who play online before November 20th have access to most, if not all Specializations at launch that were promised "early" for LE owners. Source (http://i.imgur.com/bik0j.jpg?1).

-- No physical copy of LE Forward Unto Dawn. You can watch it only via stream. DVD/BluRay is being released at a later date in retail (LE owners will still need to separately purchase it). Source (http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=9594).

When it comes down to it, it seems the only truly exclusive items you get for having the LE is two in-game skins, an emblem, and 2 avatar props. Oh, and the UNSC briefing packet.

So basically you'll get nearly all of the LE content simply by purchasing the Standard Edition and the 25$ War Games map pass; a total of $85. Everything else is essentially available at launch to those who purchased the Standard Edition.

Thoughts?

iBuzz7S
10-16-2012, 07:12 AM
I don't think there was a need for a thread. This could of gone in the other thread you created a little earlier, as now it separates the conversation about an identical topic.

But, for the sake of not being an ass, I will post something on-topic.

I want to see a little more before I decide on the cancellation. With the LE, you get all future War Zone DLC for free. Does this mean there is more than what is being given for free or not?

Just from what I have gathered, it doesn't look to be worth it. Need confirmation before deciding.

Hishoa
10-16-2012, 07:16 AM
I don't think there was a need for a thread. This could of gone in the other thread you created a little earlier, as now it separates the conversation about an identical topic.

I created the thread with a slant on specializations. I figured a new thread that encompasses all of the bonus content (or lack there of) of the LE edition warranted its own thread. :drunk

I want to see a little more before I decide on the cancellation. With the LE, you get all future War Zone DLC for free. Does this mean there is more than what is being given for free or not?

Just from what I have gathered, it doesn't look to be worth it. Need confirmation before deciding.

It's not "for free" per se, you're still shelling out additional cash to get the LE War Games Map Pass.

BS Angel confirmed that there are two versions of the War Games Map Pass, the one that comes with the LE, and a retail $25 one that comes with codes for two exclusive helmets and an exclusive emblem. I'm working on providing sources for my claims in the OP, so be sure to check back here in a few minutes.

Here's a quote from one her posts on Halo Waypoint:

The LE does not come with the War Games Map Pass armor and emblem DLC. The content is different and unique to each SKU. So the LE comes with the Prime armor skin, Prime weapon skin, Prime emblem, Recruit armor avatar costume, and Cryo-Tube avatar prop, and the standalone Halo 4 War Games Map Pass comes with the Scanner helmet, Strider helmet, and Falcon emblem. I know that's not good news for the completionists amongst you, which is why we're brainstorming ways to make those items available in the (distant) future.

BiggD
10-16-2012, 10:51 AM

This.

Anyways, I think the LE is still worth it.

ReverendSID
10-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Maybe it's not worth it, but that's never stopped me from buying a LE before. And it won't stop me this time. :p

BiggD
10-16-2012, 11:13 AM
As far as the LE's War Game Pass not including the two exclusive helmets and emblems, this is my take on it.

To be honest, the Scanner Helmet really isn't anything special and the Locust Helmet looks just too similar to the Orbital Helmet. So that leaves what, an emblem of a Falcon?

Definitely not worth buying the Standalone War Games Pass.

LE is worth it to me.

plum
10-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Limited edition all the way great content and that amazing steel book. Love it

DarkReign2021
10-16-2012, 12:22 PM
What about the rest of the stuff that comes with it like the Infinity Briefing Packet and the background profiles on the FUD Characters? If you're one of those people that just plays Halo for the multiplayer, than it's probably not worth the money, but for people like me who are highly invested in the Universe, this is a goldmine of content. Nothing by itself would warrant the purchase of the LE, but everything together is worth way more than what they're charging for the LE. I've purchased $100+ LE games that offered a lot less than this one does.

BiggD
10-16-2012, 02:46 PM
What about the rest of the stuff that comes with it like the Infinity Briefing Packet and the background profiles on the FUD Characters? If you're one of those people that just plays Halo for the multiplayer, than it's probably not worth the money, but for people like me who are highly invested in the Universe, this is a goldmine of content. Nothing by itself would warrant the purchase of the LE, but everything together is worth way more than what they're charging for the LE. I've purchased $100+ LE games that offered a lot less than this one does.

Agreed. Although, I find it sad that maybe 40ish% of the Halo community don't care about the story. They just buy it for the Multiplayer and Forge. But as you stated, the LE is sweet for dedicated fans like us man.

ZingZitang
10-16-2012, 03:04 PM

Word.

10hats

ReverendSID
10-16-2012, 03:10 PM
I've purchased $100+ LE games that offered a lot less than this one does.
No doubt. The only thing I'm a little upset about is the extended FUD not being on a disc, especially since they're already planning to release it on Disc later. S'alright though, I'd buy the Blu-Ray later either way lol.

RBmaster9345
10-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Im getting the LE just for the collectors value as I'm a huge Halo fan but I do admit its kinda dumb how little we get for buying up like that.

theNomad
10-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Theres so little difference in the UK with the LE cost and the standard game+dlc pass, so I'll stick with the LE (plus I love the new look UNSC logo on that steel box far more than standard cover plastic box).

I was never so phased about early specializations as everyone rightly unlocks them at some period anyway (I'm against game changing changes for one set of people). But I agree I'm pissed off at hearing the extended FUD is streamed and not included in the package, cheap bastards suggesting it was included along with a making of and behind the scenes.

If I'd not already pre-ordered and heard this news I would probably think twice, I'm sure though in months to come I'll feel proud at owning the fancy looking LE package.

HellspawnRei
10-16-2012, 06:25 PM
I have all the Collector's/Limited and Legendary Editions on all Halo games,i dont think i will miss this one.
I will also agree with DarkReign2021

cab0218
10-16-2012, 06:36 PM
I already sent 343i an e-mail about this so I will see what they say.

MixMaker1
10-16-2012, 07:01 PM
I do agree. The way it's all been handled has been a disaster though.

"Exclusivity" has zero significance with Halo 4's packaged contents at this point seemingly. Hell, you can purchase the Wal Mart skin for 35 cents or w/e it is RIGHT NOW.

ReverendSID
10-16-2012, 07:17 PM
you can purchase the Wal Mart skin for 35 cents or w/e it is RIGHT NOW.
Eh? Whatcha talking about?

theNomad
10-16-2012, 07:36 PM
I made a thread on Halo waypoints forum

Just heard 2 things that have made me mad at the way they marketed the Limited Edition, firstly heard the extended FUD is only available streamed not as advertised at being included along with a behind the scenes feature and a making of the game docu.
Now I'm hearing the specializations that they promised early access for LE users is now being offered to SE buyers as well.
Add to the insult at buying the LE is the fact the retail dlc season pass comes with 2 exclusive helmet skins and an emblem, which LE users don't get.
So cheers Microsoft /343i nice way to treat the hardcore fans, all we get extra is a few prints (i.e. the weapon schematics) a skin and crummy avatar item.
Don't get me wrong I love the Halo franchise, and I know I'll be playing 4 for years to come but I've already felt shafted this week being an halo fan, knowing all the pirate gamers got to play it 3 weeks early. Now I'm hearing my expensive edition is all but pointless. No wonder people are canceling their copies, I bet theres going to loads of unsold LE copies on sale at xmas.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst121839_Deceptive-Marketing-of-the-Limited-Edition.aspx which got locked for some bizarre reason and told to redirect to the specs early for SE thread, even though theres far more about its deceptive marketing than just the Specs issues.

RBmaster9345
10-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Fucking Microsoft. Dirty-ass marketing.

The Bum-Mobile
10-16-2012, 07:53 PM
What the fuck? Fuck yeah we're getting shafted. Missing out on the extra items from the in-store season pass and a STREAMING "copy" of the series? Ridiculous. I'm sticking with my pre-order, but that's kind of outrageous. The added stuff doesn't justify that they fuck us over by giving us these barebones, cut-down extras. I'll be sending an email as well.

theNomad
10-16-2012, 08:08 PM
What the fuck? Fuck yeah we're getting shafted. Missing out on the extra items from the in-store season pass and a STREAMING "copy" of the series? Ridiculous. I'm sticking with my pre-order, but that's kind of outrageous. The added stuff doesn't justify that they fuck us over by giving us these barebones, cut-down extras. I'll be sending an email as well.

What email addy would you recommend sending to, I'm pissed at the moronic mods on the waypoint forum and at the principle at being told LE users get somethings we don't ?

DarkReign2021
10-16-2012, 10:11 PM
lol. I love how much support I can garner from a couple of posts here and there. I'm thinking about starting a cult! Who wants to join my cult? Follow me and worship me and I won't break out the Kool-aid!

cab0218
10-16-2012, 10:16 PM
I would contact Microsoft.

BiggD
10-16-2012, 10:17 PM

We're not getting shafted lol.

As I previously said, the Scanner Helmet is ridiculously hideous and the Locust helmet is IDENTICAL to the Orbital Helmet.

MixMaker1
10-16-2012, 10:26 PM
We're not getting shafted lol.

As I previously said, the Scanner Helmet is ridiculously hideous and the Locust helmet is IDENTICAL to the Orbital Helmet.
Saying it's "exclusive," then turning around late AFTER the fact people pre-ordered it and offering it up in other ways is kind of silly. Not very good PR or communication.

Either way, LE is my way to go :)

CMCX360
10-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Steelbook.

Your points are all invalid.

MixMaker1
10-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Eh? Whatcha talking about?
http://t.co/IBX9ptKl

Hishoa
10-16-2012, 11:00 PM
What email addy would you recommend sending to, I'm pissed at the moronic mods on the waypoint forum and at the principle at being told LE users get somethings we don't ?

IMO I don't think it's the WP mods you should be angry with. Several of them have exclaimed that they're angry and quite disappointed as well in the LE contents. As far as I've seen, they've just been condensing topics to keep LE rants in one thread, letting OP know which thread before closing.

However, I do think it's quite silly of them to close and ban users who are sharing inconsequential spoilers, such as theater mode not being able to be used with friends or party members (like it was in Halo 3).

Steelbook.

Your points are all invalid.

That's kind of ironic, considering you get a steel case (which is what I'm assuming you're referring to) for Assassin's Creed 3 simply by pre-ordering it at Gamestop.

Compared to that, a steel case for Halo 4 is rather laughable considering the LE is an additional $40. From the way your post conveys, it seems as though you're suggesting the LE price is completely justified solely because of its steel case. WAT?

Ty-Rex
10-16-2012, 11:04 PM
You know, I don't even want the skin that badly, but I just can't justify not spending $.35. I think gum is more than that at this point.

theNomad
10-16-2012, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE=Hishoa;5332534]IMO I don't think it's the WP mods you should be angry with. Several of them have exclaimed that they're angry and quite disappointed as well in the LE contents. As far as I've seen, they've just been condensing topics to keep LE rants in one thread, letting OP know which thread before closing.[QUOTE]

Yeah guess its been an hard week being a WP mod, bet theres been shit loads of unofficial game spoilers brought out due to the leak. It doesn't help that microsoft/343i are now shafting the guys who are spending the most on owning the game (well other than the LE Console buyers who should have got dlc content thrown into their deal at least).

Be honest would anyone have bothered to get the LE knowing FUD's only streamed (that really should have been a dvd with the behind the scenes and making of halo 4 game), early specializations by the time we've ranked enough to use them SE players will be able to use them too (which I don't mind but shouldnt have said LE users got early access when we don't). Plus buying the retail dlc pass got its own skins we didn't get with the LE wargame pass.

All we are really getting now extra than SE+dlc pass is basically a pamphlet, 2 mock schematic sheets, an avatar cryo chamber and a weapon & armour skin oohhh and that ever so sexy looking steel box.

CMCX360
10-16-2012, 11:37 PM
That's kind of ironic, considering you get a steel case (which is what I'm assuming you're referring to) for Assassin's Creed 3 simply by pre-ordering it at Gamestop.

Compared to that, a steel case for Halo 4 is rather laughable considering the LE is an additional $40. From the way your post conveys, it seems as though you're suggesting the LE price is completely justified solely because of its steel case. WAT?

I'll address your comments when you call it by it's proper name. It's called a steelbook.

BiggD
10-16-2012, 11:56 PM
lol. I love how much support I can garner from a couple of posts here and there. I'm thinking about starting a cult! Who wants to join my cult? Follow me and worship me and I won't break out the Kool-aid!

I will follow you until the end of time.

Saying it's "exclusive," then turning around late AFTER the fact people pre-ordered it and offering it up in other ways is kind of silly. Not very good PR or communication.

Either way, LE is my way to go :)

I see what you mean, so I understand now. Like you said though, LE regardless!

Steelbook. Your points are all invalid.

"this. 110% this."

Hishoa
10-17-2012, 02:18 AM
I'll address your comments when you call it by it's proper name. It's called a steelbook.
*steelbook

Address away.

I see what you mean, so I understand now. Like you said though, LE regardless!

Also, here's what was said in a Halo Bulletin.

Two Specializations – Wetwork and Pioneer – will be available to all players when the game launches, and the rest will gradually be made available in the months following launch. We will be keeping a close watch on player participation post-launch and will roll out the additional six Specializations when the player base reaches certain milestones.

I don't think I've seen so many bait and switches in any one LE. Next thing you know, we'll be receiving the Fotus armor as a reward for some mundane in-game challenge. Hah. :o

BiggD
10-17-2012, 03:12 AM

I just ordered 4 of them :p

BiggD
10-17-2012, 03:15 AM
I don't think I've seen so many bait and switches in any one LE. Next thing you know, we'll be receiving the Fotus armor as a reward for some mundane in-game challenge. Hah. :o

Gotta love inconsistencies and last minute changes :p However, I wouldn't mind the Fotus Armor, it looks pretty neat and I don't have the $400 to dish out for the Console Bundle :(

Hishoa
10-17-2012, 04:15 AM
Gotta love inconsistencies and last minute changes :p However, I wouldn't mind the Fotus Armor, it looks pretty neat and I don't have the $400 to dish out for the Console Bundle :(

I don't mind the look of the Fotus armor either. People over on the Waypoint forums aren't too fond of the helmet though.. seems they have something against unicorns. ;) No biggie though, just gotta swap the helmet for something more appealing.

CMCX360
10-17-2012, 04:55 AM
*steelbook

Address away.

Okay.

You bet your sweet ass I am justifying a $40 increase for a steelbook. Things are amazing. Incredible. Rock hard.

cab0218
10-17-2012, 05:09 AM
I was lucky enough to get the sweet Steelbook for AC3.

Hishoa
10-17-2012, 05:14 AM
Okay.

You bet your sweet ass I am justifying a $40 increase for a steelbook. Things are amazing. Incredible. Rock hard.

I assume you're talking about the steel case, right?

DarkReign2021
10-17-2012, 05:37 AM
I still have my steelbook from Halo 2. Man I love that thing! Something about those sleek designs and the dexterity of the cases Even if it meant a permanent $5 price hike in game costs, I would be willing to pay it if it meant every game came with one. They just look and feel so much better than the black or green game cases. Have to say my favorites so far are Halo 2, Halo Wars, Chaos Theory, and Perfect Dark Zero.

And I realize my posting this has absolutely no beneficial contribution toward the discussion at hand, but you know what? It doesn't have to. I'm in charge of this cult and I can do whatever the hell I want! I pull my weight around here, so if I want to I can spout random nostalgia-based shit all goddamn day! ^_^

BiggD
10-17-2012, 12:05 PM
I still have my steelbook from Halo 2. Man I love that thing! Something about those sleek designs and the dexterity of the cases Even if it meant a permanent $5 price hike in game costs, I would be willing to pay it if it meant every game came with one. They just look and feel so much better than the black or green game cases.

I have my Halo 2 Steelbook right next to me as we speak. Halo 2...those memories, I will cherish forever :)

ReverendSID
10-17-2012, 12:56 PM
I have my Halo 2 Steelbook right next to me as we speak.
Me too! Except, we're typing. :p

xXmyxxmastaXx
10-17-2012, 03:14 PM
microsoft does this because they know their sheep will buy anyway.

Vectorman953
10-17-2012, 04:34 PM
I mainly play campaign and forge, so I don't really care what DLC I'm getting. We're talking about the math, the exclusivity of multiplayer skins and I know I'm paying for the map-pack pass, and $10 for all of the entire data pack - definitely the best part of the legendary edition for Reach (Halsey's journal was amazing. extremely well made and ultra-important to the canon). So in my mind, I don't really care what else is included.

The only thing they could do at this point to piss me off is to sell the briefing packet outside of the limited edition.

I'm sure I'll find some helmet and skin and emblem I'm happy with.

ZingZitang
10-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Steelbook.

Your points are all invalid.This.
I heart the steelbook.

I gave Halo 2 my Steelbook V-card. It was a great Moment.

BiggD
10-17-2012, 07:09 PM
I gave Halo 2 my Steelbook V-card. It was a great Moment.

You and me both man ;)