PDA

View Full Version : So, about Oddball..

Hishoa
10-17-2012, 07:54 AM
I believe in the vidoc and several interviews, we're told that you can pass the Oddball and as long as a teammate's in its direction, they'll automatically pick it up.

If that's the case, say I had the oddball, and someone was chasing me..

.. what's to stop me from turning a 180 and tossing the oddball at them to force them to abruptly carry it, then shoot at/kill them while they're dazed and confused? They'd have to think pretty fast and drop the ball to reengage me, and I imagine more often than not I'd have taken advantage of the situation by then.

It's been confirmed that you can "intercept" oddball passes and be rewarded for it, so it's entirely possible for this to happen (on accident or purpose). I believe it's also been confirmed that you pick up the oddball automatically if it's on the ground, similar to the flag.

BiggD
10-17-2012, 12:02 PM
I believe in the vidoc and several interviews, we're told that you can pass the Oddball and as long as a teammate's in its direction, they'll automatically pick it up.

If that's the case, say I had the oddball, and someone was chasing me..

.. what's to stop me from turning a 180 and tossing the oddball at them to force them to abruptly carry it, then shoot at/kill them while they're dazed and confused? They'd have to think pretty fast and drop the ball to reengage me, and I imagine more often than not I'd have taken advantage of the situation by then.

It's been confirmed that you can "intercept" oddball passes and be rewarded for it, so it's entirely possible for this to happen (on accident or purpose). I believe it's also been confirmed that you pick up the oddball automatically if it's on the ground, similar to the flag.

Yupp, you can now pass the Oddball, as well as the Grifball.

Vectorman953
10-17-2012, 04:43 PM
there aren't any shield buffs to the oddball carrier when they first pick up the ball?

Also, i'd imagine this manuver takes a lot of skill to perfect. Plus, after awhile (a week or so of everyone doing it) enemies would be able to see it coming from a mile away.
My issue with it is that to guarantee a hit with a throw you need to be leading them, but also far enough away so they don't get the one hit kill with the melee.

RBmaster9345
10-17-2012, 05:11 PM
You know troll teammates are gonna throw the ball into a place unreachable now though. Sometimes the worst part of these games is the community.

ZingZitang
10-17-2012, 05:36 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't think the game forces you to pick the ball up. You probably have to hold X(Or whatever button) to "Catch" it just as if you were picking it up from the ground.

So I'm not sure your strategy would work very well. Unless someone was chasing you while holding down the button to grab the ball.

xxdiamondxxinfernoxx
10-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Looks different but the community will probly ruin this eeventually

Hishoa
10-17-2012, 07:52 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't think the game forces you to pick the ball up. You probably have to hold X(Or whatever button) to "Catch" it just as if you were picking it up from the ground.

So I'm not sure your strategy would work very well. Unless someone was chasing you while holding down the button to grab the ball.

I've read in several places on the Waypoint forums that the Oddball acts similar to the Flag, that if you're close enough it initiates auto-pick up.

ReverendSID
10-17-2012, 08:05 PM
You know troll teammates are gonna throw the ball into a place unreachable now though. Sometimes the worst part of these games is the community.
Maybe, but the ball always reset after a few moments uncontrolled in previous versions. I can't imagine it wouldn't still do that.

rabidkitty4
10-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Let me list some facts first:

Oddball/Grifball is automatically picked up when walked over.

LT or "throw grenade" button throws the ball.

Oddball carrier has no extra shields or advantages.

Now for my opinion, this strategy does not take a lot of skill to perform. All you have to do is point and throw, and it is very effective. Now this doesn't mean that after a while people will still be fooled by it. Two people could easily get into a hot potato match where they are both just throwing the ball back and forth to each other. Against newcomers it is a very effective strategy, against veterans you're probably better off tossing the ball to the side to engage in combat.

DarkReign2021
10-19-2012, 05:46 PM
Let me list some facts first:

Oddball/Grifball is automatically picked up when walked over.

LT or "throw grenade" button throws the ball.

Oddball carrier has no extra shields or advantages.

Now for my opinion, this strategy does not take a lot of skill to perform. All you have to do is point and throw, and it is very effective. Now this doesn't mean that after a while people will still be fooled by it. Two people could easily get into a hot potato match where they are both just throwing the ball back and forth to each other. Against newcomers it is a very effective strategy, against veterans you're probably better off tossing the ball to the side to engage in combat.

I don't see this as being much of a concern. Passing between teammates adds a new level of strategy and passing it to unarm an enemy is rather risky. Two issues come to mind.

One, passing the ball from a distance will take quite a bit of skill. If any player can actually effectively pull that off, I think he deserves to be able to use that trick. It's an effective trick in Dodgeball, so why not here as well? And if for whatever reason this does work, killing the guy from a distance means you have to go recover it in a game where oddball can be won by precious seconds.

Two, doing this close up is absolutely stupid. Unless you've got a power weapon like Rocket Launcher or Plasma Sword, giving an enemy the ball when you've most likely already been weakened by his return fire, you've now given an enemy a melee weapon that adds relatively high melee buff and he has the lack of room to do it with ease. Ultimately, this will blow up in your face if you're not skilled enough. And if you are, again, it's a strategy I think the player is deserving of having the use to do. It's not an actual glitch in the game like the BXR was in Halo 2. It's more like the Noob Combo. Ultimately frowned upon, but technically nothing wrong with doing so.

rabidkitty4
10-19-2012, 09:44 PM
I don't see this as being much of a concern. Passing between teammates adds a new level of strategy and passing it to unarm an enemy is rather risky. Two issues come to mind.

One, passing the ball from a distance will take quite a bit of skill. If any player can actually effectively pull that off, I think he deserves to be able to use that trick. It's an effective trick in Dodgeball, so why not here as well? And if for whatever reason this does work, killing the guy from a distance means you have to go recover it in a game where oddball can be won by precious seconds.

Two, doing this close up is absolutely stupid. Unless you've got a power weapon like Rocket Launcher or Plasma Sword, giving an enemy the ball when you've most likely already been weakened by his return fire, you've now given an enemy a melee weapon that adds relatively high melee buff and he has the lack of room to do it with ease. Ultimately, this will blow up in your face if you're not skilled enough. And if you are, again, it's a strategy I think the player is deserving of having the use to do. It's not an actual glitch in the game like the BXR was in Halo 2. It's more like the Noob Combo. Ultimately frowned upon, but technically nothing wrong with doing so.

I certainly don't see it as a concern. I love the addition of passing, as I believe it will open the game up to those "epic moments" that always occur in Halo games. However I was speaking from experience when I said it isn't difficult to do. Even in close quarters, it's not like the Oddball carrier can just lunge 10 feet at you. They are unable to sprint, and cannot use Abilities. I don't look at it as a cheap tactic like BXR or Noob combo, as both parties have the ability to counter the offensive. Also it's not like you can't avoid the ball coming at you either, depending on the distance and how quick your reaction.

Overall I can't wait to see how this strategy plays out in a larger scale. Should make for some great videos.