PDA

View Full Version : Are Spartan Ops playable weeks down the line?

O0mix0O
10-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi all, I get the impression that the Spartan Ops will be a limited thing that can't be accessed a few weeks after release. E.G. The first 5 episodes can only be played up to 7 days after release, then they're replaced by the next weeks content.

I would sooner buy it a couple of weeks after release but I don't want miss out on content/achievements. Any info on this would be brilliant rhanks.

lifeexpectancy
10-19-2012, 04:09 PM
I have a feeling that they'll be playable offline as well, but don't quote me on that. Every indication they've given us thus far is that while they're "episodic" in nature, they're permanent additions to the universe/lore and thus permanent additions to what you're able to play when you put Halo 4 in your Xbox.

* Clueless *
10-19-2012, 04:50 PM
I had that feeling too, but then realized that the only time sensitive part of SOps is the release of the next one.

For instance, week 1, you watch Episode one, and download the 5 chapters. Week 2 - you watch Episode two and download the 5 Chapters.

If I picked up the game 3 weeks after release I should be able to watch and download all previous Episodes & chapters up until the current week - so Episode 3.

From a business perspective - It wouldn't make sense for them to remove the episodes merely because the week is over, how would you encourage a bigger customer base? You wouldn't... so logically, they would remain available once released.

Cheers! ;)

littlejay
10-19-2012, 05:23 PM
There are achievements for the different episodes so they can't disable them after the week they come out.

ReverendSID
10-19-2012, 07:13 PM
I don't have the link, but I did watch an interview video where they said something about being able to catch up if you don't play for a few weeks, and matchmaking for specific chapters so you can catch up or go back. I expect the chapters to be available permanently.

CyberPunch83
10-19-2012, 07:55 PM
I certainly hope all of the Spartan Ops, or SpOps, will be available permanently. Nothing sucks more than a challenge/level that you missed and have no way to go back and play. While it could be seen as encouraging buying the game early or on release day, it's unfair to late adopters. Instead, just leave them a seemingly insurmountable mountain of missions they may never manage to catch up to. Makes perfect sense. Can't wait.

Vectorman953
10-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Really have to wonder how much storage space 5 weeks/episodes is going to be, and thus how long they'd take to download on a standard Internet connection.
[spoiler=predictable]no, I don't care how much space you have on your 250gb hard drive]

Another really stupid idea I had: I really hope they don't ram waypoint down our throats, like having to log in to download the episodes instead of just through the game disc.

littlejay
10-19-2012, 09:52 PM
they will always be out, but don't expect to be able to play them offline like one person said

from gamestop:
*Online multiplayer and Spartan Ops missions require Xbox LIVE Gold membership (sold separately). System requirements forthcoming.

ReverendSID
10-19-2012, 09:57 PM
they will always be out, but don't expect to be able to play them offline like one person said

from gamestop:
*Online multiplayer and Spartan Ops missions require Xbox LIVE Gold membership (sold separately). System requirements forthcoming.
You need a gold membership to download them. Once they're downloaded I'd be a little surprised if you can't play them offline. I mean, just from the Achievement list we know you can play them solo, so why not offline?

littlejay
10-19-2012, 11:52 PM
You need a gold membership to download them. Once they're downloaded I'd be a little surprised if you can't play them offline. I mean, just from the Achievement list we know you can play them solo, so why not offline?

stranger things have happened.

ReverendSID
10-20-2012, 12:08 AM
stranger things have happened.
That's a fair cop. I'll hold out hope all the same though. :)

theNomad
10-20-2012, 04:09 AM
I like clearlng waves of AI enemies co-op, as a break from multiplayer. As neat as Spartan Ops sound I'll be more than a little pissed off, if they're not accessable weeks/months down the line co-operatively, otherwise it'll be a shame we lost Firefight for them.

A few of the marketing practices so far have led me to suspect 343i of milking the halo cash cow a little, so I'm kinda expecting future S-Ops seasons as pay-per-play things (not that I'm really against that if they're worthwhile, like campaign quality styled mini chapters). Guess all we can do right now is watch this space.

lifeexpectancy
10-20-2012, 07:15 AM
There are achievements for the different episodes so they can't disable them after the week they come out.

While I have no reason go think 343i will do so, there is nothing stopping Devs from making achievements unobtainable via game-changing title updates or playlist removal. Microsoft has no specific policy against it, and Devs are free to discontinue support for game aspects whenever they choose. Visit the Gears 3 forum for a prime example of how little some devs care about achievement related game mechanics.

Like I said I think we're safe with Halo 4, but don't ever expect a dev to do or not do something just because it affects achievements.

O0mix0O
10-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks for all your responses people. I hope you're right and I can access them a few weeks later. There's so many games I want to catch up on (Syndicate, AC:Revelations, Sniper Elite V2 could all be bought for the price of Halo 4) So if I can wait a while without missing out on content I will :P Or until all my friends get it!