PDA

View Full Version : War Games Map Pass Details [Major Nelson]

Hishoa
10-24-2012, 04:53 PM
From Major Nelson's blog post (http://majornelson.com/2012/10/24/announcing-the-halo-4-war-games-pass/).

With the highly anticipated launch of “Halo 4” on Nov. 6 less than two weeks away, Microsoft and 343 Industries today unveiled that there will be more content to come in the months post-launch, and the “Halo 4” War Games Map Pass is your ticket to getting it all at a 15 percent discount. Stoking the excitement for launch, 343 Industries also premiered the gameplay launch trailer for “Halo 4, available now on Halo Waypoint.

Retailing for $24.99 USD2 (2,000 Microsoft Points), the “Halo 4” War Games Map Pass confirms your access to three War Games map packs as they become available in December, February and April, and represents a savings of more than 15 percent versus purchasing the packs individually. In addition, Map Pass purchasers will receive two bonus in-game helmets, as well as a unique in-game emblem.

Exploring new worlds and wonders, all three Map Packs provide classic “Halo” combat and exciting ways to experience the new feature-set of “Halo” Infinity Multiplayer. Descriptions and tentative release dates are as follows:

Crimson Map Pack (December release timeframe)

Maps: Wreckage, Harvest, Shatter

Description: Witness the chaos of a clash of civilizations in Wreckage, with its blend of claustrophobic spaces and dangerous exposures and venture into the human colony environs of Harvest, and explore a human foray on an alien moon in Shatter.

Majestic Map Pack (February release timeframe)

Maps: Landfall, Monolith, Skyline

Description: Landfall’s emphasis is on infantry battles against a glittering ocean on a distant world, while Monolith exposes you to the naked vacuum of space – and the firepower of opposing teams, and Skyline’s distinctly industrial feel provides new challenges in somewhat familiar, but occasionally confined spaces.

Castle Map Pack (April release timeframe)

Maps: Daybreak, Outcast, Perdition

Description: Daybreak is set in a military facility against the backdrop of an idyllic mountain range, while Outcast plunges you into the warrens, canyons and arches of an alien edifice, and Perdition takes players into the heart of an urban sprawl, with tactical speed and situational awareness its key features.

Also included in the “Halo 4” War Games Map Pass are two unique in-game helmets (‘Scanner’ and ‘Strider’) that feature new geometry, and an exclusive in-game emblem (‘Falcon’). The “Halo 4” War Games Map Pass is included as part of the Xbox 360 Limited Edition “Halo 4” Console Bundle.I wasn't aware that the WGMP would ship with the Console edition; is this new information or was I just misinformed? :o

edit: Nvm, it was an error. Got all excited for nothin'

https://twitter.com/DavidEllis/statuses/261149208898326528

RBmaster9345
10-24-2012, 05:14 PM
There's already this much info on the map packs? Damn

CVG
10-24-2012, 05:24 PM
ya it seems like not only now do they have dlc but they made it already and have it waiting. same feeling for borderlands 2. I mean they know the names, details, time frames ect. But still very cool and nice to have some money off.

9 more maps plus more spartan ops down the road.

Hishoa
10-24-2012, 05:41 PM

I think I would've been more pleased if 343i dedicated all their time to producing and fleshing out Halo 4-- not work on DLC before the game's release. Personally, I find it unlikely that they'd be able to conceptualize and comfortably publish all this information regarding the future map packs within the last two or so weeks of the game going gold-- but even then, those weeks, IMO, should be dedicated to squashing bugs and preparing a Day 1 title update to finalize things.

Don't know what it is, but I just can't help but feel disappointed with how developers are producing their games these days. There are so few game developers now that focus on DLC after release and I feel that that in itself takes away from how much more great the game could've been.

xxJUSTINxx
10-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I'd be fine if it was free later down the road and just pre-order people get it early. But sadly they still just want money for everything.

I miss the old days of Halo 2 and map packs becoming free after a while. Just glad is not gong to be like CoD where they charge crazy amounts of money for one small map pack.

BiggD
10-24-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm not too worried that they have their DLC planned. I think they do this in order to keep the community active on the multiplayer. Also, if they get out the information early, they can set deadlines and meet those deadlines to show that they're a reliable company (unlike Rockstar with Max Payne's DLC).

We also have to remember that they probably planned out the WGMP in order to get it out of the way so that they could work on the rest of the Spartan Ops Seasons.

Anyways, two things. The maps sound great & @ OP, wait so the WGP comes with the console or no?

GIitch
10-24-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm not to worried that they have their DLC planned. I think they do this in order to keep the community active on the multiplayer. Also, if they get out the information early, they can set deadlines and meet those deadlines to show that they're a reliable company (unlike Rockstar with Max Payne's DLC).

We also have to remember that they probably planned out the WGMP in order to get it out of the way so that they could work on the rest of the Spartan Ops Seasons.

Anyways, two things. The maps sound great & @ OP, wait so the WGP comes with the console or no?

No one is as bad as Valve (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time).

MixMaker1
10-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Agree with Bigg. They are VERY ambitious with the Spartan Ops season(s) so I don't mind them preparing for map pack DLC's in the future. They are putting all their eggs in the basket pre-launch, but knowing this game will get support post-launch is nice.

Have you guys seen the concept art of the map packs? Absolutely breathtaking on every level!

MixMaker1
10-25-2012, 04:38 AM
Did a quick video on it which includes the concept art.

Halo 4 - Map Packs Concept Art & Names - YouTube

BiggD
10-25-2012, 12:42 PM
No one is as bad as Valve (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time).

HA! Now that's the truth.

Agree with Bigg. They are VERY ambitious with the Spartan Ops season(s) so I don't mind them preparing for map pack DLC's in the future. They are putting all their eggs in the basket pre-launch, but knowing this game will get support post-launch is nice.

Have you guys seen the concept art of the map packs? Absolutely breathtaking on every level!

Great video man, and as far as Spartan Ops goes, I hope they really 'wow' us with Season's 2, 3, etc.

MixMaker1
10-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Thanks Bigg - and I agree. I am ecstatic. The concept of making Spartan Ops like a TV episodic content is just extremely innovative and hooking. I can the longevity heightened in Spartan Ops ALONE. Being a fan of FF, I may be as - if not more - excited for Spartan Ops than I am Wargames this time around.

BiggD
10-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks Bigg - and I agree. I am ecstatic. The concept of making Spartan Ops like a TV episodic content is just extremely innovative and hooking. I can the longevity heightened in Spartan Ops ALONE. Being a fan of FF, I may be as - if not more - excited for Spartan Ops than I am Wargames this time around.

Let me add that the screens for Harvest and Landfall blew me away. Spartan Ops is going to be great and since it has a little story behind it, it will be extremely interesting to see how the events unfold every episode and every week. I have the same mindset. Wargames will be extremely satisfying with all the new features, mechanics and customizations; however Spartan Ops may prove to be more interesting and entertaining. All the modes will be beyond great though :)

Vectorman953
10-25-2012, 10:36 PM
I would LIVE on Daybreak. It reminds me of a few scenes from Avatar.
I really like the look of Monolith. It's probably only the concept arts look, but I would wallpaper that bitch till there's no tomorrow. Need to find a really high-rez snapshot.
Landfall reminded me of Rats Nest when I looked really quickly... which will probably lead to a disappointment down the road.
Outcast (during that brief flash) just made me think "gross." I think it's the color of the cave's bottom. Then I got reminded about Waterworks, although that's just because that was in a cave too.

Which leads into my question: Does anyone think that some of these maps might be a remake? It really doesn't look like it, and I got kind of used to one map out of the three being a remake.

BiggD
10-26-2012, 12:34 AM
I would LIVE on Daybreak. It reminds me of a few scenes from Avatar.

I really like the look of Monolith. It's probably only the concept arts look, but I would wallpaper that bitch till there's no tomorrow.

Which leads into my question: Does anyone think that some of these maps might be a remake? It really doesn't look like it, and I got kind of used to one map out of the three being a remake.

Agreed & agreed on first two statements.

And I think that they might be inspired from previous maps, despite them claiming that this isn't/won't be the case.