PDA

View Full Version : New device to help with repetive movement for gamers

Minty
09-19-2007, 08:48 AM
A new line of XBox accessories improves play and may help aleviate repetitive stress at the same time.

KontrolFreek, LLC debuts its newest product called SpeedFreek. SpeedFreek is a snap-on toggle that fits over the analog joystick of the XBox 360 game controller. It offers not only more speed and control for faster turns in games like Forza 2 and Project Gotham, but may also help aleviate repetitive stress.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news.php?id=116

ZyNLeX
09-19-2007, 09:03 AM
I'm so buying this, because first thing that gets warn out is the left joystick because of me mashing it down and all around so hard.

Yes I can say "mashing" because I'm from Oklahoma :p

SkillfulMmd
09-19-2007, 09:11 AM
is it going to be sold in the uk?

BackerMan
09-19-2007, 09:25 AM
Very interesting. I might go and buy it later. Hope it's good.

LoN3WolF 69
09-19-2007, 10:20 AM
I wont be buying it. I am fine with just using the regular joystick. I also think it would take some time to get used to.

HiddenPandas
09-19-2007, 10:28 AM
Only game I get my hands tired out from is Guitar Hero :P.

Will have to see if this actually helps though, might be useful for those intense gaming sessions =p

Really though, I'm not sure how that thing works, anyone know enough to enlighten me?

Vista
09-19-2007, 10:45 AM
This is good for Track and Field and other games...

When is this out??

Pez
09-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Sounds handy, might need to pick one of these up myself. :)

~SS

Clipse 2
09-19-2007, 11:18 AM
There have been many times where I'd have to hold the stick full tilt only to have my thumb start slipping off. This should solve that problem and might give a competitive edge to those who play the racing games.

KenGHarrison
09-19-2007, 11:54 AM
Could be a good solution for games like Geometry Wars... I'm usually throwing the left stick around so much that my thumb starts to slip off of it when I hit the 100k level and it hurts my accuracy. This might prevent that.

SRH KRONIC
09-19-2007, 12:32 PM
This would help a lot with games like Geo Wars or Mutant Storm. Someone get it and tell me how it is.

Tron
09-19-2007, 12:42 PM
this is perfect for tiger woods...

Aloriain
09-19-2007, 12:44 PM
yeah i got to agree with you clipse i reckon it will be good for driving games, which is kind of good since thats what it has been designed for, but may limit movement for other types games. Still reckon a steering wheel will be better though :)

Any idea of price?

Pez
09-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Found an image of it on google, can't imagine it being expensive by the looks of it.

http://www.imagehosting.com/out.php/i1157117_spfreek.jpg

~SS

Minty
09-19-2007, 01:45 PM
If you go to www.KontrolFreek.com (http://www.KontrolFreek.com), they have all the details.

Plus we may have something in the pipeline hopefully ;)

Legends xExilex
09-19-2007, 02:05 PM
Looks pretty kool. I don't now if I would get it though may take time to get use to. My fingers don't get tired enless I am playing guitar hero.

Xterm1n8or
09-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Just looking at its shape i think it would make accuracy harder. I laughed at the bit which said "The direct benefits are smoother, more acurate play and less fatigue at the end of the gaming session." Lol i mean i get so tired after moving my thumb slightly for 4 hours, the exercise is killing me, it's strenuous! lol

Pez
09-19-2007, 02:20 PM
If you go to www.KontrolFreek.com (http://www.KontrolFreek.com), they have all the details.

Plus we may have something in the pipeline hopefully ;)

Guess we know what to hope for in the next competition then eh? :p

Cheers for the website aswell, didn't even think to look for their website!

~SS

Kaens
09-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Those are pretty badass, if it actually works then I'm going to get several.

Adam Miller
09-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Those are pretty badass, if it actually works then I'm going to get several.

Im with that, it will seriously help out for some games but im not bad at Tiger Woods as it is.:p

patches4711
09-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Yes this is something that I will be looking into... Thanks for the info

Pedro7_2000
09-19-2007, 03:10 PM
I'm so buying this, because first thing that gets warn out is the left joystick because of me mashing it down and all around so hard.

Yes I can say "mashing" because I'm from Oklahoma :p
That's funny, because to me this would be more important for the right thumb stick. I primarily play shooters, so I'm constantly using left stick for precision aiming and to scan around me. Plus, I'm already subject to RMI in my right hand because I work at a computer all day.

But if this thing works, I'll be buying one for BOTH sticks!!!

kontrolfreek
09-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Hello everyone, Donnie Walker here, inventor / designer of the KontrolFreek Company and the SpeedFreek product. I have read all the posts here and I will try to answer as many questions as possible. Yes we do sell world wide, you can order from the US online store, or from the European Distributor we have set up. I want to urge everyone here who is interested in buying these and you live in the USA, please check our site to see if a Game Crazy near you is carrying the product. We are in a test run with Game Crazy so only 100 of their stores are carrying the speedfreek, if we can sell a large number from those stores, maybe all stores will have them soon. We are sending the admin here some samples this week, should have them next week, so they can do a review of the product and show you guys its for real and not a scam or gimmick. Dan Greenawalt himself at Forza liked the product and so does Bizarre Creations who endorsed it just this week. Price of the product is 9.99 for a pack of 2, and 17.50 for 4. We are always trying to find ways to amp up sales so we will see about getting you guys a discount code here at xbox360achievements. it would still be cheaper tho to get them at Game Crazy because of shipping. A little about speedfreek. It is not hard to get use to the product, why you ask, well i designed the speedfreek so you dont have to get use to it. your thumb still sits on the same surface its been sitting on ever since you bought the 360, all we have done is added some support to the analog allowing you to relax some and not have to hold so much pressure on the analog stick. I have found when i race for hours on end, my thumb does get fatigued and does cause problems. one slip during a 45 minute race can cost you a win, and me personaly, i dont like losing. I have raced hour long races and had no problems with my thumb slipping while others complained about cramps and so forth. Anyway, please ask questions and i will answer them each time i check back here, thanks again and i will be emailing the admin here to get an address for sending samples and possible give aways ;-)

Donnie Walker - KontrolFreek - support@kontrolfreek.com
find complete game crazy store listings here http://www.kontrolfreek.com/shop.html

kontrolfreek
09-19-2007, 03:42 PM
Oh one more thing, we do have other products in development, like a fps version :-) i have two friends coming over tonight actually to brainstorm on some ideas to make it work better, so lets hope to see it soon. We will be announcing and showing a prototype at E for all expo next month of another product, so alot going on.

Pedro7_2000
09-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Oh one more thing, we do have other products in development, like a fps version :-) i have two friends coming over tonight actually to brainstorm on some ideas to make it work better, so lets hope to see it soon. We will be announcing and showing a prototype at E for all expo next month of another product, so alot going on.
Awesome!! Thanks Kontrol and welcome to the site! Adaptation for the FPS market would be huge!!...but then again, I don't think I have to tell you that. ;) Best of luck with it.

Scotian Bred
09-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Did anyone remember the pads that you could buy for the OG xbox controllers they were gel but you thumb actually stuck right inside .. i guess the best way i can describe it is it was like a thimble .. thats what i would like to see for the 360 .. something that wrapped right around the tip of your thumb and held it right in place cause i know when i play for a bit the tips of my thumbs get sweaty and start to slip .. these pads are alright for certain types of games but i would rather have the ones i mentioned made for the 360!

Shinobi273
09-19-2007, 05:32 PM
I suppose it might help... In Rainbow 6: Vegas, when looking around from cover my thumb can slip a bit, not as the ad says where my hand get tired. IDK about $10 for two though, it seems so expensive. Plus I would be a little worried about the controller breaking prematurely because of the increased force you could put on the stick. It looks like you could get up to 2 times as much leverage on the stick.

kontrolfreek
09-19-2007, 06:36 PM
a couple of things, one, the plastic is flexible enough that if you apply a ton of force (the amount required to damage a controller) the plastic is going to flex with your thumb, but its stiff enough that under normal play, it doesnt give on you. If you stick your thumb in a product that completely surrounds your thumb, its going to sweat more and the worst thing is how do you quickly get your thumb over to the buttons, you cant, your thumb would be stuck in the product. anyway, everyone who has submited reviews to us has stated the product is worth the price. if people what was involved in taking product to market, they would wonder how we can sell it for 10 bucks, trust me, its not cheap guys. this product went through a ton of design, our company, KontrolFreek, is owned by the same group of guys who run the Design Firm i work for, so we know what we are doing and wouldnt put a product on the market that wasnt worthy, thanks.

Kaens
09-19-2007, 06:54 PM
$10 for two sounds fair to me, and I think I saw they sell 4 pack for like $17. Anyways, the last two posts made me realize that while it would be great to help with precise aiming in fps, it wouldn't work because as you mentioned you can't get to the buttons quickly.

Still good for the left thumb stick, I guess I'll just be buying half of what I thought I was going to ;)

kontrolfreek
09-19-2007, 07:24 PM
yeah i try to be as open as i can about the right analog stick, it is hard to use the speedfreek on the right thumbstick, but i will say this, if you have access to a dremel tool, you can cut about half of one of the ears off and then your thumb can quickly get to the buttons. i know you dont want to go cutting on a brand new accessory, but i have done this myself and used it in testing and it works ok. i have some guys coming over tonight to work on the fps version, thanks

Shinobi273
09-19-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm curious about how the final model performance compared to a kind of cap that would go over the control stick. Slightly larger than the controler stick surface (maybe 0.2in increase in radius) and either made of a soft rubber or more textured plastic to increase friction. I realize if you have really sweaty hands, your thumb sould slip unless you had perpendicular force like the final model has, but having a better textured thumb grip area would probably help with that problem of the wings. Yeah obvously having a thumb enclosure would be bad. Anyone with a worn controller can notice that the original 4 bumps on the control stick will wear off.

Scotian Bred
09-19-2007, 08:02 PM
a couple of things, one, the plastic is flexible enough that if you apply a ton of force (the amount required to damage a controller) the plastic is going to flex with your thumb, but its stiff enough that under normal play, it doesnt give on you. If you stick your thumb in a product that completely surrounds your thumb, its going to sweat more and the worst thing is how do you quickly get your thumb over to the buttons, you cant, your thumb would be stuck in the product. anyway, everyone who has submited reviews to us has stated the product is worth the price. if people what was involved in taking product to market, they would wonder how we can sell it for 10 bucks, trust me, its not cheap guys. this product went through a ton of design, our company, KontrolFreek, is owned by the same group of guys who run the Design Firm i work for, so we know what we are doing and wouldnt put a product on the market that wasnt worthy, thanks.

i hear what your saying there but couldn't there be lil tiny vent holes at the top to release the heat .. and most games that use both of the analog sticks alot don't really require you to press buttons .. FPS are all about just those sticks and the bumper/trigger buttons .. and it doesn't have to be form fitting just enough for the thumb to slip in and slip out without becoming stuck they don't have to be custom molded to a person's thumb and having something like that on the right analog stick would be alright cause of how your thumb naturally sits on the analog stick anyway so it would be an easy in and out .. believe me i used the ones for the OG xbox and they were not an issue .. its just a thought for ya to go buy when you come up with your concepts and to try while doing testing .. if ya come up with one i'll buy it cause i know how great they worked and how much potential this idea has ! if i had the money i would make one .. but i don't i spend all my money on xbox games and those damn rare console faceplates !

TheLazyWolf
09-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Looks good, ill be grabbing a set to try out. May i suggest that you contact the guys who make the custom Halo controllers, where jump button is moved to controller underside to keep finger on right stick at all times? They seem like someone who might be interested in these things. I see them on ebay all the time.

Hoebagger
09-20-2007, 12:12 AM
dear god! This is great! I've had to wear wrist braces for the last 9 months, but this is a much better idea!

Honkymagoo
09-20-2007, 12:36 AM
I don't understand how it works or why it is needed.

avengerRPM
09-20-2007, 12:49 AM
instead of having to push down on the stick to keep it under control, you only have to push sideways against the tall edges to look left and right or turn on car.

personally i think they are a cool idea, and i think that i remember seeing something about this on ForzaCentral.com a while ago, back during Turn10 stuff.

The Mars Army
09-20-2007, 12:50 AM
Fatigued after a gaimg session?
I'm playing Madden not real football.

Minty
09-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Donnie has very kindly agreed to donate some to the site for some prizes, so we will be announcing a competition and more details very soon, so keep your eyes peeled ;)

VaRIABLE SoUL
09-20-2007, 01:03 AM
this product looks interesting, i haven't played a racing game since NFS Carbon first came out but i think it would work well for all kinds of games. $10 for two? I hope the Game Crazy down the street has em :)

Kaens
09-20-2007, 01:05 AM
I don't understand how it works or why it is needed.
Hmm, probably wasn't explained well here but they did a good job on their website. Basically think about a racing game, it's hard to steer just a slight bit. I know I for one oversteer all the time, then I have to try and correct it (where I oversteer again) and then I'm basically fishtailing down the road. Good for kudos, but not for racing ;)

These little gizmos give you better control allowing you to push the stick 10% or 20% or with whatever slight increment you want instead of burying it as far as it goes. If they work, well worth it in my opinion. I searched the GameCrazy site and the closest one is over an hour from my house. Fortunately for me, I commute 70 miles to work and that store turns out to be only about 5-10 mins out of my way so one day if I manage to have the time after work I'll swing by and see if they have them.

Pedro7_2000
09-20-2007, 01:18 AM
I'm kind of confused about why some of these comments seem negative. I understand the ones who try to provide constructive criticism, but the ones dogging the price....please. Tell me the last time you paid less than $10 for anything! And even if it dropped to $8, you're telling me $2 dollars is make or break on your purchasing decision? I'm a super-tight-a$$ with my money and even I can see the value in a $10 product to making marathon gaming less unhealthy. And face it, if you're on this site, you game too much (ie, are the target audience). So we should all be hopeful this thing actually works...ending rant.

kontrolfreek
09-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Hey guys, the problem with enclosing your thumb is not just getting buttons, but someone has developed that product and they didnt go to production with it but they did patent it, so i cant do it. second, your telling me on halo you dont hit the buttons to switch weapons and all that alot, i know i do, so thats the other reason. we had a fps gaming session last night with some prototypes and they guys here loved the joystick version we have, but we are making some changes to it, so ill keep you posted. when you look at price, this product costs about what an arcade game would cost, so i mean buy an arcade game or buy a product to help you with several games you paid 60 bucks for. Kaens is right with the comment about moving only 10 to 20%, with the joystick im working on, it increases precision even more for aiming guns in fps games, so lets keep our fingers crossed. we have the complete store listing on our site of which stores carry the product, thanks again guys.

SkillfulMmd
09-21-2007, 10:36 AM
yeah i plan to buy one for forza 2 even tho i do have ms racing wheel

kontrolfreek
09-21-2007, 09:40 PM
all orders to date have been shipped along with the prizes for the tourny and the samples for the full review here, thanks again guys

Skillet
09-21-2007, 10:05 PM
I love Geometry Wars and this would help with my slipping issue.

As long as I can take it off for other games (I can't imagine it being confortable for EVERY game out there just because they all use the sticks differently) I'd be happy.

SkillfulMmd
09-22-2007, 03:58 PM
this is a cool idea and i plan to buy a pair, but does any one know if there going to black ones for the elite i dont really want a zebra pad?

Jdm
09-22-2007, 04:57 PM
this is a cool idea and i plan to buy a pair, but does any one know if there going to black ones for the elite i dont really want a zebra pad?

That's actually a good question.

I would also like to know if it'll be released in Black.

Regardless, I'm thinking about picking up a pair or two.