PDA

View Full Version : Height indicator in multiplayer

lifeexpectancy
10-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Ok I was just watching one of the latest multiplayer youtube vids and I gotta say, I'm not at all happy about the fact that your radar has up and down arrows by the dots/pings on your radar to indicate if allies and enemies are on a higher or lower level of the map than you.

Part of what I liked about multiplayer, what differentiated skill level, was the ability to learn a map and know based on where you're at and how an enemy's dot is moving on your radar, whether they are above or below you. This seems like something that will cater to weekend warriors and remove the skill gap.

I realize some people will applaud it, but I just think it takes away from rewarding effort and learning in MP...

n1ck3sixty
10-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Didn't Reach have this already? Pretty sure if enemies were above you, they were displayed as a red arrow on the radar.
If they were below, the red dot was faded, but still visible.

This ^ occurs in Living Dead, Slayer and BTB (gametypes I played recently) so assume the rest of Reach MP would have it, so unsure what the issue is?

lifeexpectancy
10-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Huh... Been a long ass time since I played Reach's MP. Honestly didn't recall that being the case. If so, then I guess my point is moot and this thread can be removed since it's not new thing per se, just a tweak.

I know I was playing a lot of anniversary classic slayer the last time I did play it. Maybe they tweaked the radar to be like Halo 1 in that? Could be why I didn't remember it.

LickableLemons7
10-29-2012, 01:03 PM
I can confirm that in Anniversary classic, the height indicator on the radar was the same as Reach's. I've played enough games on Damnation to remember that. Keep in mind, the last main iteration in the franchise was Halo: Reach, and quite a few Reach players have never played 3. It would seem like an awkward transition to go back to a point where you couldn't tell if an ally/enemy was above or below you. Sure, it seems like it'd be a surprise to go around a corner, and not know if an enemy was above or below you, but this was pretty annoying when I was trying to team up with friends to take down a someone who was camping with the sword on The Pit.

I also think that the height indicator was changed, as Reach's maps featured more verticality than any of Halo 3's maps.

Bergy3
10-29-2012, 02:47 PM
...and jetpack. Now that I think about it; without height indicators you could really terrorize players by hovering on rooftops and such. I prefer the change in opacity from dark red to light red relative to height.

I can't tell from the vids is this aspect retained in Halo 4 or is it only bright red arrows now, up and down...?

lifeexpectancy
10-29-2012, 03:49 PM
It looked like just fully bright dots, but with arrows up and down. It's hard to see in the youtube vids whether or not the dots are brighter/darker at times though.

I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the radar in Reach to notice the verticality indication then. Wow.... must've just taken it for granted lol.

theNomad
10-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Didn't Reach have this already? Pretty sure if enemies were above you, they were displayed as a red arrow on the radar.
If they were below, the red dot was faded, but still visible.

This ^ occurs in Living Dead, Slayer and BTB (gametypes I played recently) so assume the rest of Reach MP would have it, so unsure what the issue is?

Yeah in reach if they aren't on the same level its a faded dot