PDA

View Full Version : Minor Dashboard Update Today

The Pants Party
09-20-2007, 07:10 PM
Straight from the big man himself, Major Nelson:

"First off, let me get this out of the way right up front:

This is not the ‘fall dashboard update.’ Today the team is releasing a minor system update via Xbox Live. Over the next few hours, when you sign in to Xbox LIVE, you’ll receive a prompt to accept this mandatory update. What’s in this update? Much like the update last month, the only thing this minor release will do is prepare your Xbox 360 for the Big Button Pad that is being released this holiday. Why do we need to release this update now? Simple: The certification team needs time to test the new controller against the retail hardware/software combination before it hits stores.

One more thing: no new features beyond this big button pad support are included in this update and, once again, this is not the ‘fall dashboard upgrade.’ When I have firm details on the next major update, I will share them."

Thanks to [Major Nelson (http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/09/20/xbox-360-system-update-september-07.aspx)]

SkillfulMmd
09-20-2007, 07:46 PM
so what exactaly is this big button pad?

Butters
09-20-2007, 07:50 PM
Thanks for letting us know what it was for.

The Pants Party
09-20-2007, 07:52 PM
so what exactaly is this big button pad?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/dayart/20070711/bigbuttonpad.jpg

It's for the upcoming Scene It! Trivia game, which will probably have spin-offs and sequels if it sells decently.

SkillfulMmd
09-20-2007, 08:37 PM
omg y would they the xbox with a stupid game

Tussell
09-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Scene It! Is actually very popular. This is actually a good idea. I don't know why you think otherwise.

Not only that, it opens it up to a more, family/party audience.

Cavaliers07
09-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Great way to keep your parents entertained when they come over

The Pants Party
09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
I love Scene It, personally. The 360 needs some games to combat the Wii, frankly.

PerpetualHeaven
09-20-2007, 09:13 PM
That's pretty cool. By the sounds of it, it's a game I can finally share with my family and girlfriend.

Zef
09-20-2007, 10:49 PM
Don't you find it suspicious how he is trying to force on the fact it is apparently only for the controller? Microsoft could be stealthily adding other stuff in and just not announcing it either as a big suprise for their beloved customers (not likely unless it is a price increase) or something to do with that nasty infestation of gamesavers.

Or it could be preparing for the fabled clan support.

Gun-Nut
09-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Don't you find it suspicious how he is trying to force on the fact it is apparently only for the controller? Microsoft could be stealthily adding other stuff in and just not announcing it either as a big suprise for their beloved customers (not likely unless it is a price increase) or something to do with that nasty infestation of gamesavers.

Or it could be preparing for the fabled clan support.

Totally Agree with you! I remember when they added support for the wireless guitars coming and the update only took a couple of seconds :P this took a good 2-3 mins.

Krohboy
09-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Me and my friends (16 Years Old) play scene it a lot, it gets intense with all the yelling and swearing.

squirreltakos
09-20-2007, 11:42 PM
Man I guess I got excited for nothing... Since I can't even use the pad yet.. And cause it's nothing important anyways. -_- still don't get why it was mandatory.

Most Frantic
09-20-2007, 11:47 PM
I wish they would tell you what the update was for before or even after it installs...

Gun-Nut
09-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Man I guess I got excited for nothing... Since I can't even use the pad yet.. And cause it's nothing important anyways. -_- still don't get why it was mandatory.

Lol same here, was in a middle of a game and it goes Disconnected from LIVE so I just thought it was my net, tried connecting after my mission and its getting an update, was all excited for nothing :P

I know there is normally a maintenance for these big updates but meh :P

anthropomorfism
09-21-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm intrigued by this. I think it's cool that Xbox is trying to combat the Wii with this idea. I'll give it a try.

TacticalChaos15
09-21-2007, 03:11 AM
omg y would they the xbox with a stupid game

Umm think about this with me, the Wii is doing amazing with sales to the mainstream. The 360 has basically nothing easy to play for people that havent played video games before. When Grandma and Grandpa come over, do you think they would be able to sit down and play some co-op gears or halo? or would they be more likely to play 4 player scene it? It is just a matter of appealing to a broader audience. And if it sells even relatively well, can you imagine the pure amount of DLC that would be possible? It is actually pretty smart in my oppinion.

hn6
09-21-2007, 12:41 PM
I have had to adjust my background image, as it no longer "fit" the screen. Was there some sort of layout change to the interface/display properties?

P1NSEEKER
09-21-2007, 01:50 PM
:s

There is definately something odd going on here.

SkillfulMmd
09-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Umm think about this with me, the Wii is doing amazing with sales to the mainstream. The 360 has basically nothing easy to play for people that havent played video games before. When Grandma and Grandpa come over, do you think they would be able to sit down and play some co-op gears or halo? or would they be more likely to play 4 player scene it? It is just a matter of appealing to a broader audience. And if it sells even relatively well, can you imagine the pure amount of DLC that would be possible? It is actually pretty smart in my oppinion.

lol why would your granny come and play the 360 anyway no matter what game it is and this isnt an attack on nintendo it is a front line attack on sony they mad a game witht the exact same pad cant rember the name of the game

Bullet2theface
09-21-2007, 07:24 PM
lol why would your granny come and play the 360 anyway
It was an example..

hopesfall2win
09-21-2007, 10:37 PM
So I'm guessing the update was the reason why the achievement unlocked notification is in the upper right corner? Well what if i dont want it there? Fucking stupid not having an option on anything.
________
CHEVROLET CORVAIR ENGINE (http://www.chevy-wiki.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvair_engine)

Smokez
09-21-2007, 10:56 PM
So I'm guessing the update was the reason why the achievement unlocked notification is in the upper right corner? Well what if i dont want it there? Fucking stupid not having an option on anything.

Achievements unlock in diffrent spots depending on the game your playing. Because my achievements are unlocking in the middle for BioShock

hopesfall2win
09-22-2007, 12:32 AM
I've never had any game put the achievements somewhere other than the bottom middle..i guess you're right then, because TMNT arcade does :confused: Guess i was out of line.
________
Oregon Dispensaries (http://oregon.dispensaries.org/)

austin rules
09-22-2007, 12:36 AM
that little controller looks pretty gey and im guessing u have to buy the controller to get the game