PDA

View Full Version : Are product keys multi use?

Agent Aero
11-05-2012, 02:57 AM
I just bought a new copy of OF:RR and idiot sibling comes along and plays the game first using the product key, obviously.

So i go to play the game today and it won't accept the same product key, says its tied to another account. Now the problem is i can't even be connected to live through GFWL without a product key, yet i can seem to be able to play the game offline.

I'd rather not play offline as it screws up achievements and it means i can't complete the game. However, this copy was off eBay for 2.00, so i've just bought another copy and will use the new PK.

I also know some new GFWL have the secured protection or whatever and will limit the game to one profile. But this game came out in '09..?

TL;DR: Are PK's multi use, does it vary game to game, or am i being an idiot?

kaleido42
11-05-2012, 06:38 AM
Are PK's multi use, does it vary game to game, or am i being an idiot?

Varies by game. Examples: the live unlock code (looks exactly like your typical product key but is only used to access live) for fallout 3 has unlimited uses, I'm 99% sure the product key for Gears of War has unlimited uses as I've heard of people boosting it on one pc under different accounts/instances, the halo 2 product key (if I remember right) is limited to 5 uses.

Sounds to me like that product key might be lost for good. Only suggestion I could think of would be to do a proper uninstall, hope it sends records back clearing the account its linked to, reinstall, and enter the key with your profile. That's a long shot though. Probably just easiest to use that second key you already payed for.

Agent Aero
11-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the reply. Think it might be better if i download games through Steam or xbox.com now, especially if they have MP achievements.

kaleido42
11-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. Think it might be better if i download games through Steam or xbox.com now, especially if they have MP achievements.

Assuming you're download speed isn't brutally slow and the game you want is on there that's definitely easiest. I wouldn't ignore hard copies entirely though. A rare few are only available that way (Halo 2) and you can sometimes find some pretty good deals in store compared to console prices. Last week at a store closing I was at they were pretty well giving them away at $1 each!