PDA

View Full Version : Fan cooling or not?

kornfan2007
09-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Just wondering I just got my console about a month ago and know they have made improvements, but thought I would check to see if people would still advise buying some kind of cooling device?

I have been known to play for 7 or 8 hours straight so can certainly run up the heat on it.

If you would recommend a fan then any advice on specifics?

PerpetualHeaven
09-28-2007, 01:15 PM
Don't invest in a cooling device. They're just a temporary fix to an inevitable problem. They could also void your warranty so I would avoid using one all together.

Zef
09-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Putting your console in a sensible place is way more effective than getting a cooling device, it is also cheaper and less of a hassle. I have one of the ancient 360s, leave it on for hours at a time and it has never overheated, melted, triggered irreversible nuclear fusion reactions or frazzled the hardware.

Keep the powerbrick in a cool, dry, out of direct sunlight place and keep it free of dust especially around the little holes. Also make sure that you don't cram the actual console into a tight spot, keep it away from any source of heat (especially volcanoes) and don't put it on carpet (the static can apparently screw things up).

The intercoolers don't work from what I have heard, they also void your warranty if you open the console so when it breaks you are up a creek without arms. If you want some kind of extra cooling device then maybe try using a fan either a free standing one or a USB one plugged into your console. I know a few people who do that but it doesn't make much of an improvement, it's more of a 360 placebo.

SegaSaturnSNK
09-28-2007, 07:43 PM
I got the nyko cooler and it isn't bad at all. I just recently got a new 360 from Gamestop (got a warranty there) and it is one of the new models (the ones that got shipped in July with the HDMI input) and they get pretty hot without the cooler. Cds get hot as hell. With the cooler, system isn't as hot and the cds aren't as hot too. If you mean putting a cooler by opeing your 360 and etc., I wouldn't fuck with that.

Shaaady Souljah
09-28-2007, 07:53 PM
dont get one. they are not worth it. i tried out the pelican fan, and it was so-so. but if you leave it on (it has its own switch), you are screwed. and it steals power from the 360, which cant be good.

your best bet is to prop up the 360 (horizontally), with space underneath it for airflow. (i put mine on 2 VHS tapes when i play. if you still have a couple lying around, this is a good use for them!). and keep it out in the open when being used (not inside an entertainment center)

Steelhead
09-28-2007, 07:56 PM
If you asked this in 100 different places you'd find that most responses will have one thing in common. They'll say "don't buy a cooling unit that hooks into your power source".

Like Zef said, if you feel the need to have one, make sure it is USB or something with it's own power source.

Adam Miller
09-28-2007, 08:00 PM
I got the nyko cooler and it isn't bad at all. Erm yes it is obviously youv got one and had no problems which i can assure you, you will.. maybe for christmas.

Do not get a cooler system.

Do what zef says just use your intiative and keep it dust free, out of sunlight etc. :)

HiddenPandas
09-29-2007, 07:43 AM
I prefer to keep my 360 in a meat locker c(=

Jdm
09-29-2007, 12:38 PM
I prefer to keep my 360 in a meat locker c(=

Meat Locker as in a Fridge Drawer? Very bad idea, Panda. If you are seriously doing this, condensation will build up inside your console.

The Nyko Intercooler is by far, the WORST cooler on the market for the 360. A few lucky gamers have had no problems with it, but that can all change with the continuing usage of it. I can tell you first hand, that my 2nd console fried up because of the Intercooler. My advice to you ALL is, if you currently have the Intercooler, remove it NOW! For those of you planning on buying one, DO NOT BUY IT!

I will however, recommend either the Pelican Fan Stand or the Intec Glo-Stand.

For myself, I have the Intec Glo-Stand. It's powered up by you plugging it into the wall outlet. There's a Off/On switch. so no worries.;)

The Pelican Fan Stand is still powered by your 360 through a USB connection. If your 360 is NOT on and the fan is still plugged in, it will harm your console as Shady said. Using the Pelican Fan Stand, means you'll have to plug it in and unplug it every time you are gaming and done gaming.

Pelican also has another cooler called the Xbox 360 Cooler. What's great about this cooler is that, it can be used Vertically or Horizontally, depending on your console setup. Again, this cooler would have to be plugged into one of the three USB ports on the 360.

Amazon.com: Xbox 360 Cooler: Video Games

^^^Here's a link from Amazon.com and people that have bought it, left feedbacks regarding the cooler.

SegaSaturnSNK
09-29-2007, 02:29 PM
From reading all these posts, I just removed my nyko cooler lol. I've used it over a year and I really never had a problem. I had to return my last console mainly because of the driver scuffing up my games but not sure if the cooler was fucking up the driver? My system never fried but oh well, I think I should be fine without the cooler. I do have one of the newer models of the 360 so I think I'm safe without a cooler.

PerpetualHeaven
09-29-2007, 02:52 PM
From reading all these posts, I just removed my nyko cooler lol. I've used it over a year and I really never had a problem. I had to return my last console mainly because of the driver scuffing up my games but not sure if the cooler was fucking up the driver? My system never fried but oh well, I think I should be fine without the cooler. I do have one of the newer models of the 360 so I think I'm safe without a cooler.

When I removed my Nyko Cooler, it was all brown and completely fried my input area. I had to obviously lie so I can have my 360 repaired.

Jdm
09-29-2007, 03:39 PM
When I removed my Nyko Cooler, it was all brown and completely fried my input area. I had to obviously lie so I can have my 360 repaired.

Haha, what a coincidence?! The same happened to me!

That's why I'm telling you guys to get rid of that sucker. The Intercooler is crap and M$ should actually sue Nyko for putting out such a crappy product that ultimately destroyed many 360's.

To Sega,
Do you have the newer 360's with HDMI or without? The consoles with HDMI have a new Heatsink and Tubes, just like the Elites.;)

n1n3t33nd3lta
09-29-2007, 04:24 PM
yeah, my intercooler really sucks and makes a very loud noise, so i used some african american inginutity(sp?) and just put a regular fan beside of it and it stays pretty cool.

SegaSaturnSNK
09-29-2007, 06:43 PM
Haha, what a coincidence?! The same happened to me!

That's why I'm telling you guys to get rid of that sucker. The Intercooler is crap and M$ should actually sue Nyko for putting out such a crappy product that ultimately destroyed many 360's.

To Sega,
Do you have the newer 360's with HDMI or without? The consoles with HDMI have a new Heatsink and Tubes, just like the Elites.;)

Yeah, its with the HDMI. I took off the cooler and played Halo 3 for 2 hours without it and it wasn't even that hot. Good thing this topic came up or I would still have that cooler on and probably would of fucked up my system in a couple of months. Good thing I had that thing on there for less than a week.

As for that brown stuff, I found that on my other 360 and was real wtf about it. I'm selling that cooler over at Gamestop.

P.S. Thanks Jdm and others.

Jdm
09-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Yeah, its with the HDMI. I took off the cooler and played Halo 3 for 2 hours without it and it wasn't even that hot. Good thing this topic came up or I would still have that cooler on and probably would of fucked up my system in a couple of months. Good thing I had that thing on there for less than a week.

As for that brown stuff, I found that on my other 360 and was real wtf about it. I'm selling that cooler over at Gamestop.

P.S. Thanks Jdm and others.

No problem, bud! That's what I'm here for.;)

I'm glad you took the Intercooler off. Ruining a new 360 would have been a shame. It should be fine without a cooler/fan, but if you still prefer one, check out my first post on this thread. I think any of those 3 will work out fine.

Knock on Wood, Sega! It is still a M$ Xbox 360 after all. But these new consoles are improved and should be much better.

StatisticZ
09-29-2007, 08:22 PM
I thought about getting one too, but I read somewhere they over heat even more with them (the Nyko ones). I just got my 360 like a week ago from Walmart, didn't get insurance tho so I'm being very careful =x

messym
09-29-2007, 08:55 PM
if you are looking for a decent fan stand that doesn't pull any power from your 360 this fan stand works pretty good plus its pretty cool looking when its on. Amazon.com: Xbox 360 Glow Stand with Fan: Video Games

SegaSaturnSNK
09-30-2007, 12:42 AM
Knock on Wood, Sega! It is still a M$ Xbox 360 after all. But these new consoles are improved and should be much better.

I hope so man, maybe it'll last like my Dreamcast, still lasting since 9/9/99 but when it comes to a 360, that will probably not happen lol.

StatisticZ
09-30-2007, 02:00 AM
Actually, today I had a problem with mine (right after posting here!), and I got it almost a week ago. I wonder if it's an older model one that was just in the back of the store (where they had to go to get it). Anyone know how I can check and see if it's a newer model?

GoodtimeS
09-30-2007, 02:42 AM
Ive owned a power source cooling fan and it worked fine for a couple weeks . then it started messing with the power source. Newer 360's are built to handle there heat better but like any electronic heat kills in the long run. My 360 has a custom case that has the bottom portion cut out along with the top so over heating is not a problem. (has ran for 3 weeks straight without turning off and still runs like a champ) The heat problem is from poor flow to the front of a xbox 360. If your handy with a drill.... Take your faceplate off and drill 3 holes in the memory card slots . Gives a exit point of any built up unnessary heat.

GoodtimeS
09-30-2007, 02:44 AM
I thought about getting one too, but I read somewhere they over heat even more with them (the Nyko ones). I just got my 360 like a week ago from Walmart, didn't get insurance tho so I'm being very careful =x If you didnt know ...the extended warranty is now free..Is microsofts way of brushing there mistakes under the rug.

Jdm
09-30-2007, 02:45 AM
Actually, today I had a problem with mine (right after posting here!), and I got it almost a week ago. I wonder if it's an older model one that was just in the back of the store (where they had to go to get it). Anyone know how I can check and see if it's a newer model?

A problem with your console?

Look at the back of the console, around the info sticker and it'll state a Manufactured Date. I believe the latest models are August 2007, correct me if I'm wrong.

Does your console have HDMI? If so, you should be on the "safer" side of things, but you'll have to be careful. If your console does NOT have HDMI, then most likely, the store you purchased it from, gave you an older console. Retailers were ALL trying to get rid of the older 360's to make room for the new ones with HDMI.

HiddenPandas
09-30-2007, 08:46 AM
Hrhrhr, no I don't actually keep my 360 in a meat locker :p

I actually bought one of those cooling systems in a desperate attempt to make my ringed-of death console work again, without having to pay the 140$ repair fee (before the warranty extension). Didn't seem to do anything, and I just returned the thing.

StatisticZ
09-30-2007, 11:00 AM
A problem with your console?

Look at the back of the console, around the info sticker and it'll state a Manufactured Date. I believe the latest models are August 2007, correct me if I'm wrong.

Does your console have HDMI? If so, you should be on the "safer" side of things, but you'll have to be careful. If your console does NOT have HDMI, then most likely, the store you purchased it from, gave you an older console. Retailers were ALL trying to get rid of the older 360's to make room for the new ones with HDMI.
Argh! Mine's Manufacture date is 7-20-2007.

matthewaburns
09-30-2007, 12:44 PM
yeah, my intercooler really sucks and makes a very loud noise, so i used some african american inginutity(sp?) and just put a regular fan beside of it and it stays pretty cool.

My fan or intercooler which ever you want to say is the same way, when you first turn the console on it sounds like a freight train starting up, but I thought I would try it, figured it couldn't hurt. The only thing is with my network adapter and the intercooler are to close together and when you snap the adapter on it pushes the button in where it doesn't snap on. So you just have to be careful or the network adapter will fall off.

Punish3r
09-30-2007, 03:26 PM
I use a small portable office fan that straps to my entertainment system and shoots cool air into the back of the 360. I usually take it out a very few weeks and blow it out with an air compressor on low settings to get rid of any dust. Havn't had a single problem with this method.

Jdm
10-01-2007, 05:24 AM
Argh! Mine's Manufacture date is 7-20-2007.

^^^It's still a new console and should be more reliable, than older consoles. Just make sure to take care of it. Keep it in a open environment and make sure you keep the dust out. A lot of consoles get fried, is simply because dust gets trapped. With the temperatures that the 360 create, the dust burn up at times.

I use a small portable office fan that straps to my entertainment system and shoots cool air into the back of the 360. I usually take it out a very few weeks and blow it out with an air compressor on low settings to get rid of any dust. Havn't had a single problem with this method.

^^^Blowing in air is not recommended, as the heat from the back of the 360, needs to be escaped.

pavementpoop
10-01-2007, 02:48 PM
yea, i have one dont use it been told they are usless, best to forget it.
________
VAPORIZER VIDEO (http://vaporizers.tv/)