Will random vampire attacks happen if I haven't started the dawnguard questline yet?

CrAzYnEsS

I haven't played this game in awhile and was thinking about playing again to get in the mood for the new dlc. But I've been worried about restarting a new character because I don't know if the random vampire attacks happen even before I start the dawnguard questline.

I know they stop after I beat the questline, but I never played long enough after downloading the DLC before starting the Dawnguard questline to see if since downloading it they just happen whenever.

I don't want villagers getting wiped out and me being too weak to do anything to stop it and lose quest options.

On my first playthrough of Dawnguard I avoided casulties from random vamps because I was a high level and had slow time.

I can't find the answer to my question anywhere so thats why I'm asking this. The only answers I find are to If I beat dawnguard will the attacks stop. I need to know if just merely having downloaded the DLC without even starting the Dawnguard questline do the vampire attacks happen?

Yes you have to get to level ten before the DLC actually 'activates'

also they shouldn't directly attack villages, so don't worry too much bout them.

Vampire's not directly attacking villages? Ha! I found 4 Vampire's randomly attacking the villagers in Riften, several different times. Quite annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up Dawnguard for the deal of the day...but i stoped the download to be sure i don't have this shit yet...

So the vampire attacks do stop after you completed it? Thats good then, i think ill wait til im ready to do it in one go more or less, then redownload the DLC and do it. Dragon Attacks in open cities always pissed me off, so i was very disapointed to hear there could be so much random vamp attacks.. I restart when i loose an NPC personally...

But now that i have bend will... lol dragons are not a problem... i hope it work on vamps too. I bend will the dragon, then he stay there like an idiot while i hit him wih my warhammer...LOL

Dragon Attacks in open cities always pissed me off, so i was very disapointed to hear there could be so much random vamp attacks.. I restart when i loose an NPC personally...

I was playing a new character the other day and after about 3 or 4 main quests, I walked into Dawnstar only to get attacked by a Master Vampire, a Vampire Thrall, 2 Cultists and an Ancient Dragon.

A lot of innocent NPCs died that day! :biglaugh

• 6 months later...

I have just started playing skyrim and have the dawnguard dlc ... One of my classes that I messed with before I went back to my dark elf and restarted him ... I had a run in with vampires as a lvl 8 was taking a slow walk back to Riverwood after going on a hunting trip ... get to Riverwood see the guards running around like headless chickens ... Find 3 dead vampires was thinking that's odd I'm not lvl 10 yet but at least the chat that you have about dawnguard made more sense well that guy ran into 15-20 vampires after that all random encounters by lvl 11 he was infected with the vampire disease ... Maybe vampires just never liked him as my lvl 16 not seen a vampire other than a couple dead vampires in Whiterun

• 5 months later...
I had a master vampire and vampire thrall attack and kill the general store owner in Whiterun.

This just happened to me as well; I was plundering some houses late at night getting my sneak/lock picking skills up (and helping myself to some unattended valuables) and as I leave the smith's shop through the back, I make it back to the main road and to my right I have a Master Vampire running at me, full speed, casting his life siphon spell or whatever with his Thrall and two other vampires following right behind him...

Nope.

I was still a low level (starting over as as a Bosmer, focusing on Archery and Alchemy) so I punched it in the opposite direction until a bunch of guards came to help. So once they started to attack the vampires I jumped in (from afar) and sniped a few of the lower level vampires with my bow and took pot shots at the Master Vampire and the Thrall when ever I had a clear shot (took out the Thrall with a arrow to the knee, humorously enough) but accidentally hit a guard with an arrow!

Before I got arrested (I was not skilled enough to bribe/persuade/intimidate my way out of it), I dumped all my stolen loot in the vampire's corpse because why not. When I paid my bounty and was let go from Dragon's Reach, I went back to the village square, some of my loot was surprisingly still there. So all in all, it was an unexpected scare, but it paid off in the end.