PDA

View Full Version : Trading/boosting WHY!?

Whistler
10-02-2007, 08:02 PM
Ok my question, why do so many trade for achievements?

Yeah now it sounds stupid but the thing I'm after is. I see alot of threads to trade, when you let the other one kill you 10 times when you are just stating still or something like that! To play some co-op against the computer to get co-op achievements or stuff like that don't count for the thing Im after.

I mean it's called Achievement! It's suppose to be something you achieve and feel good about! You finally get that last one remaining for a game and feel real good that you could do it.

But if you are just trading or cheating is a better word for it where is the fun? Then there's no challenge at all to get them other then it takes time. Just completely destroys the whole meaning what achievements is about imo!

I also think this destroys things for ppl trying to do them the way it was suppose to be done, you can't compare then and se how many others done that if you don't know if they did it by trading or not.

So hope game developers starts to make smarter achievements so you can't cheat, but as with Halo 3 ppl seems to find ways around them.

And yes the hunt is better then the catch.

codedigital
10-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Gamesaving is cheating.

It's called boosting...and a lot of people on here don't do it. But some don't find it questionable, like me. Especially when it's the tedious ones. I'm going into a match and winning...just like the achievement wants me to.

250 wins on The Darkness? Do you honestly think I want to put real effort into that when it can lag out on my and reset my win count? Screw that my friend.

Exane22
10-02-2007, 08:08 PM
That is your personal opinion, but i promise you there are others who dont feel the same way as you. Ive boosted a few achievements but not many and it dont bug me at all after all they are only achievements. Besides ive made some great friends boosting. It gives you a chance to hang with people and talk about shit and still play games at the same time. Its no where near as bad as gamesaving or profile swaping as you are still haveing to put in time and work. Again its all down to personal feeling some here dont boost at all, some boost everything they can so they can move on to the next game, others just do it a lil.

Shaaady Souljah
10-02-2007, 08:10 PM
EDIT: two people beat me to it, but they kind of agree ;)

i agree with you, to a point. i am going to try and get the halo achievements legit, because i love the game and love playing it. but i have no problem with people boosting to get them either. you still are playing the game, so if it is done with your own two hands, i do not see anything wrong with it.

sure, their's may not be "earned" legit, but they still took the time to play and get them. if you have a problem with it, then that is fine. play all of your games legit. but i know i sure as hell am not going to play 50 games of College Hoops 2k7 or 200 wins in Def Jam legit--those are just plain awful games, but I like and want the achievements for them. (We are an achievement site, afterall ;))

codedigital
10-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Because people here think that a big gamerscore will make up for other shortcomings.

I can understand if you're doing co-op and trying to beat the game, but if you're going to do LVU Campus for 12 hours just to rank up, you're a fucking loser.

While I wouldn't do LVU Campus for 12 hours to boost my rank either...I still won't try to get 10 wins in a row in Homecourt when everytime someone starts a game and quits my number resets.

I think it's pretty ballsy of you to call a good bit of the members of this site fucking losers though.

Whistler
10-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Of curse, gamesaves and so are the same thing.

And yes you can find friends that way but think you can find them anyway, co-op and so.

And I agree some achievements that are real stupid hard and takes forever to get are not nice. But just don't get them then! More fun to see which ppl actually did get them then :)

As for darkness and reset, well itís a "bug" then or something. If you can't get something the way it was suppose and the developers don't fix it a agree cheating is a option!

Bullet2theface
10-02-2007, 08:35 PM
people on this site are here for achievement guides, friends, and achievement boosting. I'm not gana sit there and play some stupid game for hours to get an achievement, I rather boost and get something I like, now for Halo 3, so far all my achievements are legit.

Whistler
10-02-2007, 08:46 PM
people on this site are here for achievement guides, friends, and achievement boosting. I'm not gana sit there and play some stupid game for hours to get an achievement, I rather boost and get something I like, now for Halo 3, so far all my achievements are legit.

Agree with all you said there, but if you don't want to play that stupid game anymore, why boost it then?

But you should be able to delete games from the achievement list, all the arcade zeros you get if you try the arcade games sux big time!

Turbo VDuB 44
10-02-2007, 08:57 PM
I agree that you should be able to delete the demos from your card.

As for boosting, I boosted with a group of 7 other people for most of the summer through GoW achievements. There are pros and cons to boosting. Either you play the game legit which is fun but you never get to know any of your fellow competitors and you aren't guaranteed exactly what you are looking for i.e: boomshot kills, or what have you.

Most people boost games because they are completionists, like myself. I know that the 990 in Test Drive Unlimited is driving me crazy but the stupid servers are now down....

Anyway though, like everyone has said, Boosting is your own personal opinion and just because they were helped along the way to get an achievement doesn't mean that they don't deserve it or didn't earn it. I put time and effort into getting my achievements too my friend. I just don't have enough time to spend on 1 game and get every achievement legit....

Shinobi273
10-02-2007, 09:01 PM
Because people here think that a big gamerscore will make up for other shortcomings.

I can understand if you're doing co-op and trying to beat the game, but if you're going to do LVU Campus for 12 hours just to rank up, you're a fucking loser.
While I wouldn't do LVU Campus for 12 hours to boost my rank either...I still won't try to get 10 wins in a row in Homecourt when everytime someone starts a game and quits my number resets.

I think it's pretty ballsy of you to call a good bit of the members of this site fucking losers though.

Yes, quite ballsy indeed. I have in fact done countless hours of LVU T-Hunts so that I may get Elite. I haven't gotten it yet, I'm still Lieutenant Colonel, about 300 more left to go for Elite. I sorta want to get custom camos and T-Hunts are pretty fun too they are like co-op missions. I don't get pissed when we lose or anything and it is alot more fun than getting raped by some clan.

Wolf
10-02-2007, 09:10 PM
Yes, quite ballsy indeed. I have in fact done countless hours of LVU T-Hunts so that I may get Elite. I haven't gotten it yet, I'm still Lieutenant Colonel, about 300 more left to go for Elite. I sorta want to get custom camos and T-Hunts are pretty fun too they are like co-op missions. I don't get pissed when we lose or anything and it is alot more fun than getting raped by some clan. So you play that game for hours and hours for a 40 point achievement when you could be doing something more fun or at least worth more achievement points instead? You need to know your limits. I hate having less than 50% score for a game but you could never, ever convince to get to Wave 30 to bring that 95 over 100 in Robotron.

Whistler
10-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeh guess it's the same thing as using a cheat to get unlimited HP or something for a game (not for achievments) some ppl like it so they can finish it faster I guess. And some ppl like me want to play the game for the challenge.

But I too have used cheasts/walkthrous when I get stuck. Just so many hours you can play on the same place until you look for a walkthru so you can play the rest. So somewhat the same thing, except you just get more points for trading and not further in the game.

And i guess if you read guides for achievments like which song to play in guitar hero to get 500 note streak or something you can call cheating, and I have done such things also, still feels like I done it myself in some way thou :p

So hard to draw a line somewhere. All up to how you want to play, not all games can be like some MMOs where they ban ppl for cheating.

JoHnOfDaDeAd
10-02-2007, 09:23 PM
You ask why, but I ask why do you ask. W/o trading or boosting and the cooperation of x360a and other sites, the NBA Live 07 1000 People Online achievement would be practically unachievable. This therefore hopefully answers your question.

Shinobi273
10-02-2007, 09:26 PM
So you play that game for hours and hours for a 40 point achievement when you could be doing something more fun or at least worth more achievement points instead? You need to know your limits. I hate having less than 50% score for a game but you could never, ever convince to get to Wave 30 to bring that 95 over 100 in Robotron.

Well I started playing it 6 months ago, you make it sound like I played it for a month straight. really I have played a couple hours 2-3 days a week and 5-6 hours over the weekends unless I was playing something else. As I said before, I like T-Hunts better than actual matches (no asshole clans raping all the time, no one gets upset about losing, and team oriented play). I didn't actually say that I like playing the game, but really I do, I think that RS:V is a fun game to play. I'm not sure if Robotron is a fun game to play, I haven't played it. Just saying, maybe it is bad to call people fucking losers, especially for playing great games on a gaming site.

Kaens
10-02-2007, 09:26 PM
I have no problem with boosters, but from my own personal experience looking back I now know it was so NOT worth the effort. When I hit my 100k and went back through my card breaking down the stats I was surprised how little I actually earned from boosting. Not even 9000! If I had to guess what I earned from boosting I would have said 20k or maybe even believed 30k because that's what I felt like. I spent soooo much time boosting and I never knew it was actually for so little gain. Sure some nights were obvious - all night for 10 points in Quake 4.

My point is, now I don't boost. Not that I'm against it, clearly I'm not, it's just not worth my time. I have boosted a few times since I hit that 100k, but it's not about the points. I'll do it to help a friend out, maybe get something for myself along the way, whatever. I still would do it because like Turbo I want to complete the games. But then again is it any different than me playing Eternal Sonata for a 3rd time, knowing it's going to take me 20+ hours to earn one achievement?

Whistler
10-02-2007, 09:34 PM
You ask why, but I ask why do you ask. W/o trading or boosting and the cooperation of x360a and other sites, the NBA Live 07 1000 People Online achievement would be practically unachievable. This therefore hopefully answers your question.

I don't see that as cheating at all, quite the opposit of that in fact!

Don't know how many ppl play that game but guess you couldn't even get it any other way. Even harder to get it that way (more effort anyway) then just logging in at random and hope.

Want to thank ppl for answering, and I got some insight why ppl do it. It don't sound so bad as it did to me before now :) Even if I still think of it as cheating.

Krazie
10-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Not a bad discussion for people to give their opinions, but if I see another post like Wolf's, I'll lock the thread down.

TheLazyWolf
10-03-2007, 03:31 AM
Because people can get obsessive compulsive about finishing a game. I agree that it sucks to see people cheat or boost in a game that you love, the thing is everybody likes different games.

Im with Kaens. I very rarely find it worth the effort. It is not so bad if you have several people participating. I think the fact that you are working as a team towards an easily obtainable common goal enables people to be friendly with one another from the start, since the competitive element is gone. Couple that with the fact that you could be boosting with four or five people from different states and countries, and what sounds like a few hours of boring repetitiveness can become a really fascinating conversation.

I can actually say that, since the 360 released, i have learned more about the UK through boosting and the cool people i have met than i learned in school. There is a huge difference between playing LVU T-hunt for 12 hours alone, and playing LVU T-hunt for 12 hours with other people. Personally i couldnt do either one cos i think that game is terrible, but ive been known to play games like DW:Gundam..Which gets back to my original point, everybody likes different games.

Rand al Thor 19
10-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Because people can get obsessive compulsive about finishing a game. I agree that it sucks to see people cheat or boost in a game that you love, the thing is everybody likes different games.

Im with Kaens. I very rarely find it worth the effort. It is not so bad if you have several people participating. I think the fact that you are working as a team towards an easily obtainable common goal enables people to be friendly with one another from the start, since the competitive element is gone. Couple that with the fact that you could be boosting with four or five people from different states and countries, and what sounds like a few hours of boring repetitiveness can become a really fascinating conversation.

I can actually say that, since the 360 released, i have learned more about the UK through boosting and the cool people i have met than i learned in school. There is a huge difference between playing LVU T-hunt for 12 hours alone, and playing LVU T-hunt for 12 hours with other people. Personally i couldnt do either one cos i think that game is terrible, but ive been known to play games like DW:Gundam..Which gets back to my original point, everybody likes different games.
quoted for the motherfucking truth!!!!

CovertDog
10-03-2007, 09:44 AM
Its not cheating if your fullfiling the requirements of the achievement. If the achievement says to get 10 kills in a row and I get 10 kills in a row, I have fullfiled the requirments. I'am yet to see a achievement that says the person you kill has to be moving.

Whistler
10-03-2007, 01:25 PM
Its not cheating if your fullfiling the requirements of the achievement. If the achievement says to get 10 kills in a row and I get 10 kills in a row, I have fullfiled the requirments. I'am yet to see a achievement that says the person you kill has to be moving.

Call it exploit or something then, you are using game mechanics in a way they didn't meant you to. To achieve achievements that suppose to be hard with no skill at all.

Good answer from TheLazyWolf! As I said before don't seem to bad now, almost feels that Im missing out on stuff because I don't trade.

antilucid
10-03-2007, 04:49 PM
One thing I might add to the discussions is that the benefit of trading achievements can add more to the social aspects of games. There are people on my friends list whom I might not ever have met if we had not traded achievements. This gave me an opening to make new friends without the pressure of a win/lose scenario that somes games provide. (I can personally attest to the anger that some people provide when playing Team Slayer in Halo 3).

Steelhead
10-03-2007, 05:01 PM
I blame allot of boosting on the achievements themselves. There are some games that I'm glad people boost...like Gears. I'd rather have 8 boosters in a room, not bothering anyone else, than to have one or two people in my game "calling" weapons because they need x amount of kills with it. Things like that ruin the game for everyone else. I wish the gamemakers would figure this out and stop putting out the "only in ranked matches" achievements. Who cares if allowing people to earn achievements in social/unranked games makes it easier to boost? At least it doesn't screw up the ranked gameplay.

That's why I love the games that keep the achievements based on SP for the most part (or coop...which is always sweet).

Shinsetsu
10-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Im for boosting in the case of games like Overlord.
50 wins in BOTH Slaughter and Pillage...

Thats alot considering half the time when I play it online it lags to hell. This way I could play with one of my friends who owns it every so often to slowly yet surely get those games. While I love the game itself those acheivements are.... yeah just crappy.

Wreckon Dracgon
10-04-2007, 05:12 PM

I can actually say that, since the 360 released, i have learned more about the UK through boosting and the cool people i have met than i learned in school. There is a huge difference between playing LVU T-hunt for 12 hours alone, and playing LVU T-hunt for 12 hours with other people. Personally i couldnt do either one cos i think that game is terrible, but ive been known to play games like DW:Gundam..Which gets back to my original point, everybody likes different games. Dear God I almost fell of my throne, for a moment there... I was going to post but after reading through the page, I'm shocked to say not only do I agree completely with what LazyWolf just said but that fact alone is awe-inspiring. LazyWolf who wrote that for you... you know kidnapping and forced labor are against the law.

Raider
10-04-2007, 05:51 PM
Halo, gears, rainbow, GRAW, FEAR=no need to boost as its easy enough to find games and the achievements are simple.

Shadowrun, call of jarez, battle stations midway=dumb achievements that require boosting to get.

Farcry, Vampire rain=rubbish games that nobody plays so they require boosting

TheLazyWolf
10-04-2007, 09:10 PM
. LazyWolf who wrote that for you... you know kidnapping and forced labor are against the law.

Not on my midget farm they arent..