PDA

View Full Version : clearing your cache...is it worth it?

n1n3t33nd3lta
10-05-2007, 05:58 PM
alright, i've heard that deleting your cache would speed up your xbox, but if it deletes every update you've got for a game, is it worth it?

Zef: If you want to find out how to clear your cache, search the forums and find out =)

Rocket
10-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Yes and No. It will delete all ur updates, so all the games you rented or took back already that had updates are gone. I know for me it did wonders cause I had a lot of games with updates that I don't play anymore...so it's all a matter of how many games you've played I guess...plus, it's easy to do an update on a game anyway...

n1n3t33nd3lta
10-05-2007, 06:15 PM
ok, since i've cleared the cache, it's been freezing...i'm guessing i shouldn't have done that, or my xbox is about to die. it's been a good one, i've had it since they first come out.

Dark Kitsune
10-05-2007, 06:23 PM
I was thinking of deleting my cache as well since it has been freezing and junk on me. But now seeing that you have had issues with yours after deleting the cache, maybe not until after I beat Eternal Sonata, so I will still have a machine :p

Zef
10-05-2007, 06:36 PM
If all you play is Halo 3 then deleting all of your updates isn't a bad idea, but if you like to play a few decent games in sucession then you'll be wasting your time having to redownload all of the updates. So it is a slightly double edged spoon.

As for freezing issues, I've cleared my cache a few times and everything has been dandier than Andy Pandy in Pontypandy. So your 360 could very well be dieing.

hopesfall2win
10-05-2007, 06:41 PM
What is the benefit from clearing it? Faster load times or what?
________
Old Man Video (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/29/old-man/videos/1)

n1n3t33nd3lta
10-05-2007, 06:48 PM
well the way i understood it, your 360 gets cookies just like your computer does, and if you like to glitch(i know i do on cod3), then it builds up and stores it. of course, i'm probably wrong.

Turbo VDuB 44
10-05-2007, 11:59 PM
well the way i understood it, your 360 gets cookies just like your computer does, and if you like to glitch(i know i do on cod3), then it builds up and stores it. of course, i'm probably wrong.

No, you're pretty much right...I know for NHL 08, you have to clear your cache, otherwise you can't ever connect to anyone online. And your xbox is about to die if it freezes. and/or you should try clearing it again. Sometimes it glitches like that....

Skillet
10-06-2007, 12:16 AM
And your xbox is about to die if it freezes.

Or it's too hot... or your game is scratched... or you had three things happen at once on your dashboard. (like when you have a friend log on, another friend sends a message, you're accessing the guide and you just unlocked an achievement)

hopesfall2win
10-06-2007, 12:20 AM

What if you don't glitch? Same thing apply?
________
Extreme Vaporizer (http://extremevaporizer.info)

Im a Manatee
10-06-2007, 02:21 AM
Yes. Common information is stored in a cache, could be anything from your checkpoint to level textures to patches and leaderboard info. The same principal is applied if you die in Tomb Raider, it loads. If you die again a few times, it's slightly faster because things related to that are in your cache.

The first time I did it, I went from 6.6 to 6.8 on my Hard Drive.

For more, read here (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37660)

x McGrim x
10-08-2007, 05:26 PM
No, you're pretty much right...I know for NHL 08, you have to clear your cache, otherwise you can't ever connect to anyone online. And your xbox is about to die if it freezes. and/or you should try clearing it again. Sometimes it glitches like that....
Ugh...that's exactly what happened to my box two weeks before Halo 3...:( At least it should ship back tomorrow!!!