PDA

View Full Version : XBLA Wednesday: Puzzle Quest and Yaris

Krazie
10-08-2007, 05:51 PM
After failing to put a game on the Arcade last week due to the major release of Halo 3, Microsoft will have two games available to download this Wednesday at approximately 9:00 AM GMT. Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, the critically acclaimed puzzle game will be available for a considerably high 1200 points. However, this is a big game, and it looks like it will definitely be worth the $15 if you're a puzzle fan. The other game, Yaris, which will have you driving around in a Toyota Yaris, will be offered for FREE. The game doesn't look stellar by any means, but I'll never turn down a free game that offers achievements! Here's some information on both games:

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords™ delivers, for the first time ever, classic puzzle-game action backed with an epic story of good versus evil. Challenge your puzzle skills in single-player campaign mode, or battle your friends in multiplayer action. Experience a puzzle game with role-playing elements. It's like nothing you've played before.

Unique gameplay: Classic puzzle gameplay is enhanced with the addition of RPG-style character and story elements. The game is incredibly simple to learn for casual players, with seasoned gamers able to utilize deeper strategies.
Quests: For the first-time ever in a puzzle game, embark on an epic single-player campaign comprising more than 150 challenging quests.
Role-playing game elements: Create and build a persistent hero from one of four unique classes. Gain skills, spells, weapons, and more over the course of the game. Customize your characters to give them an advantage in battle.
Battles and conquest: Build your empire as you capture cities, build castles and gain a party of companions that will aid you in battle. Battle other warlords for supremacy in multiplayer mode.

Yaris: Hop into a Toyota Yaris and drive it on crazy tracks loaded with stubborn obstacles, cool powerups, and intense enemy action. The relentlessly twisted courses in Yaris might have loops or even be tube-shaped, but the Yaris never has to worry about sliding off track, as it defies gravity by scaling side-walls and going all topsy-turvy. Equip your Yaris with an arsenal of weapons to take out your adversaries, but be careful to avoid enemy fire, because once your shields are depleted, so is the game.

Customizable cars: Drive either a Yaris Sedan, Sports Sedan, or the Liftback. Collect coins on the track and outfit your Yaris with weapons, shields, and tire configurations.
Game modes: Race and take out your enemies in either single player or player vs. player game mode.
Wild tracks: Drive on eight different tracks of progressive difficulty.
Gallery feature: Browse through the game's cast of characters, including all the Yaris cars.
Twelve new achievements and new Leaderboard: Twelve new achievements to unlock, and a new Xbox LIVE® Arcade leaderboard for you to dominate. Get in your Yaris and drive!

Zef
10-08-2007, 06:00 PM
So in game advertising has now started to take over entire games (if you forget the BK ones). I can't wait for a Durex game to come out.

Microsoft finally get around to releasing a decent arcade game that I want and I don't have Live =( Someone send me a memory unit with it on and I shall smite one of your foes in battle. Game shops should sell individual arcade games when they are released, take in a memory unit or USB stick, pay for the game and off you trot. No downloading but all the thrills of little men beating each other up on command.

DrH3rbz
10-08-2007, 06:22 PM
YaY! A free game xD

I can add another free one after going through the hassle to get Aegis Wing last night, the US get so much more better stuff then UK =[

Roll on Wednesday!

Frakus
10-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Wow thanks for the update, at first seeign the 1200 point cost I almsot wrote the game off but its almost an rpg like game and my interest is now peaked.

10-08-2007, 07:08 PM
I don't know. A 1200 point tag is generally avoided like the plague. Lumines could have easily sold more copies than the twelve it did sell if they just made it 800 points and actually offered the full game.

Bullet2theface
10-08-2007, 07:37 PM
YaY! A free game xD

I can add another free one after going through the hassle to get Aegis Wing last night, the US get so much more better stuff then UK =[

Roll on Wednesday!
you guys got xbox 360s deal for only $200 which I wish I lived in the UK for@@@@@

Semp Pi
10-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Would anyone be able to describe how Puzzle Quest plays? I've seen the screenshots, but I really can't figure out what the puzzles are like.

By the looks of it, it looks like Bejeweled to me (with RPG elements). If it is like Bejeweled, what sets it apart?

hainesdogg
10-09-2007, 01:29 AM
Puzzle Quest is totally worth 1200 points. I mean I paid 29.99 for it on the DS, so this is totally a bargin.

Jdm
10-09-2007, 01:55 AM
Those Yaris cars are ugly!:p

But I can't complain about a Free game.

I'll think about Puzzle Quest, as I am not a huge fan of puzzle solvers.

ZiM1021
10-09-2007, 02:15 AM
Free game! *fist pump*

That'll be three for me in two days (finally checked my e-mail to find my two free XBLA codes and both worked)

Clipse 2
10-09-2007, 03:00 AM
Those Yaris cars are ugly!:p

But I can't complain about a Free game.
Furthermore has anyone else seen screen shots of this game? You can't really see it in the screens we have on the site because our logo covers the speedometer but it showed a Yaris going 170 mph. Now who in the world would believe a Yaris could go 170 mph? I'll still get it, just for a laugh.

bdg7884
10-09-2007, 04:24 AM
Something free :) Boy aren't we lucky...

Jdm
10-09-2007, 04:46 AM
Furthermore has anyone else seen screen shots of this game? You can't really see it in the screens we have on the site because our logo covers the speedometer but it showed a Yaris going 170 mph. Now who in the world would believe a Yaris could go 170 mph? I'll still get it, just for a laugh.

170 MPH in a Toyota Yaris?!:p

I'm a car nut and I see no way of that being possible. You would need a motor swap and some sort of forced induction method to make it go that fast.

Crazyreyn
10-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Free games are awesome. Yippee.

Derrick DS
10-09-2007, 02:23 PM
If I could sum up Puzzle Quest in one sentence, it would be something like this:

'A must have Strategy/Puzzle game w/ RPG elements that blends the best of Bejeweled & Chess into one addictive package.'

I played the DS version to death... and its tough as nails, but I love it. This is not just a must for me, but a MUST for everyone.

Clipse 2
10-09-2007, 04:16 PM
170 MPH in a Toyota Yaris?!:p

I'm a car nut and I see no way of that being possible. You would need a motor swap and some sort of forced induction method to make it go that fast.
I broke down laughing when I first saw it and second guessed it as though maybe someone put it in kmh. I don't even think a Yaris could make 170mph with a motor swap or forced induction; I'm afraid it would shake apart. Imagine a giant motorized roller skate then put nitrous it. :p

xRockwilderx
10-09-2007, 08:21 PM
...Yaris...mwahahahahaha...!! This shall be rediculous, thanks for the heads up.

DrH3rbz
10-09-2007, 08:32 PM
you guys got xbox 360s deal for only $200 which I wish I lived in the UK for@@@@@

Don't you mean £200? If it was $200 I feel silly for playing £180 for mine =[ :P

Thats only the core anyway, you guys still get it cheaper :(

The list grows bigger, also, I'm pretty sure you get cheaper games aswell :(

I wish I lived in the US :( :P

Zef
10-09-2007, 08:39 PM
The screenshots here show a glitchy version of the game where the decimal point randomly dissapears. The car is actually going at 17.0 mph, that is with the turbo boost power-up too. Probably the most realistic game physics ever.

And the price tag will represent the quality of the game, look at Totemball as a historical example.

DrH3rbz
10-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Hexic HD was free and that was a great game, Aegis Wing was also free and thats also pretty good, it might shock us all and be the game we've been missing from our collections =P

....Well unlikely but....

Vista
10-09-2007, 08:48 PM
The gameplay video looked really cool for yaris. The online should be nice for a racing gam. You cant complain about a free game!

JesusBread
10-09-2007, 09:04 PM
I'll get it if it's an easy 200 GS. If it isn't, screw it.

Derrick DS
10-09-2007, 09:16 PM
I'm mildly disappointed to see more buzz in this thread for Yaris then Puzzle Quest. Is a free game that is merely an advertisement ploy more important than a game that is basically one of the best puzzle games in gaming today?

JesusBread
10-09-2007, 09:28 PM
I'm mildly disappointed to see more buzz in this thread for Yaris then Puzzle Quest. Is a free game that is merely an advertisement ploy more important than a game that is basically one of the best puzzle games in gaming today?

Thing is. Most people have gotten it on the DS(Most likely). I know I have. If I knew it was coming out for XBL I would not have bought it for the DS.

Jdm
10-10-2007, 07:29 AM
I broke down laughing when I first saw it and second guessed it as though maybe someone put it in kmh. I don't even think a Yaris could make 170mph with a motor swap or forced induction; I'm afraid it would shake apart. Imagine a giant motorized roller skate then put nitrous it. :p

^^^That's true.

I think the chassis of the Yaris would just start twisting. After achieving 170 MPH, the Yaris would be like a smashed aluminum can!:p

The screenshots here show a glitchy version of the game where the decimal point randomly dissapears. The car is actually going at 17.0 mph, that is with the turbo boost power-up too. Probably the most realistic game physics ever.

And the price tag will represent the quality of the game, look at Totemball as a historical example.

^^^17 MPH with turbo boost?

I hope that's not the fastest it'll go.:p

Either way, it should be an interesting game. Plus...it's Free!

MajinFro
10-10-2007, 10:54 AM
I am interested in both. too bad I am broke. but at least i can get one lol.

DrH3rbz
10-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Hmmm...came home and couldn't find it, US got another free thing =P

Clipse 2
10-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Hmmm...came home and couldn't find it, US got another free thing =P
Only available in North America.

DrH3rbz
10-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Just d/l and played, its pretty crappy, I shot some stupid hula hoop thing on fire so many times and it wouldn't die, and some damn toaster kept getting in my way ¬.¬

ZiM1021
10-10-2007, 03:52 PM
Yeah, I downloaded Yaris and it's pretty crappy but still, it's free. It definitely isn't anything fantastic because of being free but it has achievements so I'll bear through it because of them.

desai100
10-11-2007, 07:48 PM
damn Microsoft always giving free stuff to USA

burner110
10-12-2007, 01:40 AM
Yeah, I downloaded Yaris and it's pretty crappy but still, it's free. It definitely isn't anything fantastic because of being free but it has achievements so I'll bear through it because of them.

thats the only reason why i downloaded that crappy game for the achievments

strippedpixel
10-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Puzzle Quest is the best live arcade game I've bought so far, not regretting the spend. I'm a bit dissapointed we've missed out on another free game in the UK, it's not as if our elderly folk don't drive the bleeding things too slow over here.