PDA

View Full Version : Do You Clean Your Xbox 360 Controllers?

Jdm
10-09-2007, 11:09 AM
I'm not sure if guys clean your controllers or not, but I do. I can't stand it being greasy with all the dried up sweat. Yeah, I said it and I know it's disgusting.

Two common household items I use are:

1. Toothpicks
2. Moist Towelettes or Alcohol Swabs

Most Toothpicks fit in just right, along the cracks of the 360 controller. Also, it's not sharp enough to scratch up your controllers, depending on the ones you buy. The double pointed ones are the best. After one side gets worn out, you can flip it around and use the other side. It removes all that "gunk" out. It also works, if you have gunk/dirt on your buttons.

After removing the gunk/dirt, a Moist Towelette or Alcohol Swab may be used to give the controller an entire "wipe down". Just be sure that the towelette or swab isn't too wet or it may cause damage to your controllers. This is great way to disinfect your controllers of germs.

I clean my controllers every week. I use to take apart my PS2 controllers and just scrub down the casing. In my opinion, there's no need to take apart your 360 controllers for cleaning.

This is my "Home Remedy" on how to clean off controllers. If you guys have your own ways of cleaning your controllers, please share. I wouldn't mind trying out a new method.

P.S. For those of you that don't clean your controllers, or haven't for a while...you should follow my easy steps. The Cold season is approaching and trust me...germs will be every where and you certainly do NOT want it on your controllers as well.;)

sandollor
10-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Toothpicks are good, I also use Q-tips with a little alcohol. I can't stand the nasty controllers so I clean them every once in a while.

wild dog
10-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah same here, I just use basic wipes on my black one but on my white ones I more or less scrub the things to death.Its kinda scary the amount of crap that builds up in those cracks,at least with the black one you dont see it.

ever31
10-09-2007, 03:08 PM
my sister in law usually cleans mine when i take them round to play against my brother

The Fron
10-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Good thread heheh,

Its weird, back in my PS2 days I always cleaned it them. But when I was feinding it up and Halo 2 on xbox (before I realized that H2 it was unhealthy), I never cleaned the controller. I looked at the sweat marks as victorious. But now on the 360, It drives me crazy, possibly because the controller is white and your can REALLY see the dirt.

Pez
10-09-2007, 03:35 PM
I clean my controller regularly!

I just use a small pin in the cracks on the side, then once all the shit in it is loose, I blow it out.

~SS

Xterm1n8or
10-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Yeah i hate dirty controllers too.

Firstly it's unhygienic and secondly when a mate comes round i'd be embarassed to hand him a grubby, sweat stained controller (its happened countless times to me when i go over to friends houses) and if i were the friend i would be extremely reluctant to touch it :p.

I just do the same as you, scrape the dirt out the screw holes and edges with a toothpick and do the rest with a damp cloth. Works wonders. Basic hygiene - you clean your house, your bed sheets etc, why not your 360 controller too seeing as how you clutch it for a few hours a day!

Clipse 2
10-09-2007, 03:47 PM
I seriously thought about posting this topic a few weeks back. At least once or twice a week I'll run a safety pin or the edge of a business card through the groves. I'll also take a Lysol disinfecting and wipe it down real good. The hardest area to clean I've found is the indention of the start, back, RT, LT buttons. I hate dirty controllers.

Bullet2theface
10-09-2007, 04:10 PM
I just cleaned them now in months, when I draged my toothpick within the cracks a lot of weird shit came out, they look gum strings but they are black and brown......ewwww

DomGTR
10-09-2007, 04:13 PM
I used someones toothbrush...seriously it was cousins from when he lived with us for a bit, I thought he was going to get himself another

OOPS

wild dog
10-09-2007, 07:53 PM
I just cleaned them now in months, when I draged my toothpick within the cracks a lot of weird shit came out, they look gum strings but they are black and brown......ewwww

MMM !!! Yummy :p

DrH3rbz
10-09-2007, 08:37 PM
I try to, when I'm sitting there sometimes I run my nail on the connecting line thingy and pull out loads of greasy, sweaty dirt stuff[Yes I know that is very disgusting xD ] I have some in the controller back button since I got it [pre-owned console] and haven't been able to get it out, think ill have to try the toothpick ;)

LMA McLovin
10-09-2007, 09:47 PM
I clean them on occasion, every 2 weeks or so often. Just get a toothpick and run it on the side and it cleans out the god knows what. Then some rubbing alcohol around to sanitize it :)

Subject_Me
10-09-2007, 09:59 PM
normally I'll just clean the cracks and buttons and screw holes with a pin but take the whole controller apart monthly to give it a good scrub. never before with any other controller have i noticed this grimy stuff until i got my white 360 controller.

SabreOscar
10-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I just called my house and told my wife to clean my controllers. Great thread!

ZiM1021
10-09-2007, 10:39 PM
I try to while I'm playing but after reading this, I ran a toothpick into all the edges, removing some debris. I got to find something to wipe down the whole controller with now.

Vista
10-09-2007, 10:52 PM
I use a toothpick to clean the gunk on the bottom of the thumbsticks! Also if you play a lot your a button may get messed up (i have only had 360 since new years!), my friends said to toothpick that out too!

DoM cAbAn
10-09-2007, 11:03 PM
I get my mom to clean my controller. :p I put a chrome cover on mine, so it naturally gets fingerprints on it and the usual "gunk", haha.

Birky
10-09-2007, 11:27 PM
Wow I thought I was the only one who did this... heh.
What bugs me the most is dirt/gunk in the triangle on the back and start buttons. BAH! It is so annoying. Of course the toothpicks work great on it. Other then that ever other month I get my buddy over at Gamestop to do internal cleaning on the main controller I use and stiffen the analog sticks (I have no idea how he does it but I swear they would have fallen off by now if not for him).

Cold Rival
10-09-2007, 11:30 PM
The toothpick worked surprisingly well. Nice idea, Jdm. I haven't sent you my spam yet. It'll arrive in the morning. ;)

Sanction
10-10-2007, 12:55 AM
My black controllers are nice since they don't show dirt or anything, but I occasionally give em the ole' rub down.

ac2565
10-10-2007, 02:56 AM
I use a double sided toothpick.

Mr Hey
10-10-2007, 03:24 AM
My controllers are really nasty, and my Wii remote is orange from food. Ill clean everything one day.

Misfit
10-10-2007, 03:40 AM
i clean them if they get sticky or dirty , or if one of the controls are jammed

BlaZiN cdn
10-10-2007, 03:56 AM
Of course, a lot of the time I use a Q-Tip to get in between the buttons and a piece of cotton with a bit of water or rubbing alocohol (most of the time water) and rub the handles.

hainesdogg
10-10-2007, 04:04 AM
Does anyone own the limited edition Halo 3 controllers?

The reason I'm asking is I have one (yeah I know I'm a nerd), and I was wondering if I clean it with alcohol if the graphic will get destoryed.

razzleson
10-10-2007, 04:05 AM
I'm actually surprised this many people clean them. I figured it was just me being a neat freak when it comes to electronics.

Personally I use a two-part water, one-part 99% alcohol mix with Q-tips. It works wonders for everything; controllers, systems, LCD screens, you name it. If you're too lazy to make a solution, those acne pads work great too. Essentially the same thing with a cotton pad.

I also take the controller apart so I can clean the bottom of the joysticks and button portions that are under the case.

TheLazyWolf
10-10-2007, 05:46 AM
I disassemble mine every month or so and clean them down inside.

Jdm
10-10-2007, 06:54 AM
The toothpick worked surprisingly well. Nice idea, Jdm. I haven't sent you my spam yet. It'll arrive in the morning. ;)

^^^Not more Spam!? Well actually, I've only received 2 so far.:p

Does anyone own the limited edition Halo 3 controllers?

The reason I'm asking is I have one (yeah I know I'm a nerd), and I was wondering if I clean it with alcohol if the graphic will get destoryed.

^^^I own one, but I'm leaving mines in the original package. I'm a nerd too!;) I'm not sure if it would rub off the artwork, but I wouldn't mess with the alcohol on this one. Maybe just plain ol' water will do.

Wow! I'm as surprised as Razzle at the results so far. I'm glad the majority of you guys are cleaning your controllers. I'm anal like that, so if you guys ever come over to my crib, my accessories are CLEAN!;) Keep the response coming guys!

italianstallion
10-10-2007, 07:11 AM
I havent had to clean mine yet, I guess im not a nasty mo fo like you all. I never eat and play.

xGodDogx
10-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Well i just got mine a while ago. So i havent yet but im going to this week as it is kinda getting gross

PerpetualHeaven
10-10-2007, 05:42 PM
The controller is white so that means I always have to clean them. Since I have uncontrollably sweaty hands, there's no way I couldn't clean these things. I have to all the time. Throw me 3 tooth picks and I'm going to work. Oddly enough, it's something amusing to do.

Bas #36
10-10-2007, 05:46 PM
I clean mine. A lot!!! at lest every day :-0 The white shows dirt so badly. Some guys I know dont clean them so often (no offense Covert ;-) ). But ever since a study showed that a keyboard and mouse of a computer the most dirty places in a household are what about controllers!!!

pavementpoop
10-10-2007, 07:52 PM
meh i wipe it here n there :D
________
Katherine4U cam (http://camslivesexy.com/cam/Katherine4U)

pinkpanfa
10-10-2007, 10:26 PM
I never cleaned my controllers....not once.

But now after reading this thread, I'm going to get down with the clean machine.

Spades12321
10-10-2007, 10:31 PM
I clean mine regularly because the controllers are white and dirt shows up really easily. Before when I had my PS2 I never cleaned them because the controllers was black and the dirt didn't show up so easily.

JJBDude
10-11-2007, 08:22 AM
No I haven't but I reall need to, it's looking rather horrible right now. Will use some of the tips said in this thread, thanks. :)

Alessiuccio
10-11-2007, 09:20 AM
This reminds me the days of non-optical mices for the pc... i couldn't believe my eyes everytime i opened my mouse... tons of dirt!!!

M7.Ninja
10-11-2007, 12:05 PM
I rarely clean my controllers. When I see it has become dirty, I use a slightly wet towel or napkin to clean the hard to reach parts, then dry it. Practical and not really fancy.

PWSteal.Ldpinch.D
10-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Hmm, it's unnecessary to clean a controller unless you guys play it with greasy/dirty fingers but meh. I usually only clean under the analog sticks. They are the most commonly used areas and dead skin cells gather underneath them and they're nasty to look at so I clean them only in that area.

SonOfNorris86
10-11-2007, 04:28 PM
I sometimes take a credit card or drivers license and get the grim out of the part where the front and back controller shells connect. Other then that as far as cleaning goes I sometimes open up older consoles taking them appart and give them an extreme cleaning. I resurrected my nintendo that way and I really need to do my saturn.

EaGle ReGaL
10-11-2007, 09:16 PM
i use tooth picks also

Pieface
10-11-2007, 09:27 PM
nevar cleaned controllers and got them on launch day '_' They seem fine though, not really dirty. Also use Baby Wipes on the controller, so you don't have to much liquid going in..

ChinoBlingo
10-11-2007, 09:34 PM
i use toothpicks with cotton to clean mine