PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero III scores an 8.0 from OXM

Dr Buttcrack
10-17-2007, 04:41 PM
I don't have the mag on me so I can't post any quotes, but they pretty much said that the game is made for top-tier players, and not for casual gamers.

So uh, I guess that's us ;)

Gun-Nut
10-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Ouch on the Podcast they seem to always talk about GHIII & Rockband, thought it would have at least got a 9 :P and how do they define not for the casual gamer? since they can't get a load of achievement points? :P

DFILL450
10-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Ouch on the Podcast they seem to always talk about GHIII & Rockband, thought it would have at least got a 9 :P and how do they define not for the casual gamer? since they can't get a load of achievement points? :P
No..They were basically saying how battle mode is just really frustrating and not fun at all. Like they used to feel like "rockstars" and now they just feel unworthy. And they said that expert mode on 2 is like hard on 3. So bassically they were just sayin how the focus shifted from just kicking back and feeling like a rockstar to realizing you suck at guitar hero lol.

Gun-Nut
10-17-2007, 07:42 PM
No..They were basically saying how battle mode is just really frustrating and not fun at all. Like they used to feel like "rockstars" and now they just feel unworthy. And they said that expert mode on 2 is like hard on 3. So bassically they were just sayin how the focus shifted from just kicking back and feeling like a rockstar to realizing you suck at guitar hero lol.

Well no one says you have to play battle mode :) and O_O also Expert(GHII) = Hard(GHIII) O_O this is going to be tough... I can't even beat expert yet, ah well 8.0 is still great :) and still would get the game if it got 1.0

Bolt
10-17-2007, 09:53 PM
actually you have to play battle mode like 3 times as encore battles

Gun-Nut
10-17-2007, 09:56 PM
actually you have to play battle mode like 3 times as encore battles

Ah Yes, Forgot about that >< ah well

glasstiger50
10-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Whatever, reviews are all different. And it's gotten good reviews (9.0+) on other sites, which I can not recall the names of. Anyways, this game is goin' to be freakin' crazy! Just a little more than a week!

JJBDude
10-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Will be interesting to see what scores Rock Band is going to get.

Not too sure if I am happy about hearing of the increased difficulty, I better still be able to complete Hard or I won't be happy. :(

xJoex
10-18-2007, 02:58 PM
JJB: I wouldn't worry abot difficulty on hard. On scorehero they were saying how expert has been uped to please HA, wuLFe, Priest, kov, microgamer and everyone whos good at Expert, and Hard still remains playable to the 'casual' gamer...

At least that's the impression I got :)

SeriousTroggers
10-18-2007, 06:14 PM
After playing through the demo (briefly), it seemed actually a lot easier. However, the songs included on the demo are pretty low level.

Fire Mage
10-18-2007, 06:30 PM
After playing through the demo (briefly), it seemed actually a lot easier. However, the songs included on the demo are pretty low level.
The Metal is actually pretty high level, Tier 6. It's next-to-the-next-to-last tier.

SeriousTroggers
10-18-2007, 06:47 PM
The Metal is actually pretty high level, Tier 6. It's next-to-the-next-to-last tier.

Yeah...you're right, thanks. The rest are pretty low level then :) Regardless....they still seemed much easier than they would have been in GHII. Probably just the increase in the timing window.

Fire Mage
10-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah...you're right, thanks. The rest are pretty low level then :) Regardless....they still seemed much easier than they would have been in GHII. Probably just the increase in the timing window.
And Rock You Like a Hurricane is on Tier 5!

Haha but nah I'm not trying to blow your point apart. I agree that they seem easier than GH2.

I've already FCed Lay Down. For some reason I haven't FCed Hit Me With Your Best Shot though, haha.

The very first time I played The Metal, it was rough, but now I have the hang of it.

Gun-Nut
10-18-2007, 08:24 PM
The Metal seems pretty easy on Hard but for some reason I just can't get this done on expert :( then again, not even finished expert on 2 :P

killerharu45
10-18-2007, 11:37 PM
And Rock You Like a Hurricane is on Tier 5!

Haha but nah I'm not trying to blow your point apart. I agree that they seem easier than GH2.

I've already FCed Lay Down. For some reason I haven't FCed Hit Me With Your Best Shot though, haha.

The very first time I played The Metal, it was rough, but now I have the hang of it.

Once you get the hang of any of the songs they are easy. It took me two or three tries to 5 star the metal because I was getting used to the new controller. (I played it at Game Crazy). I cannot believe that Rock You Like a Hurricane is higher than Even Flow. I thought Even Flow was so much harder than Rock You. I believe that just the solo is harder on Rock You so they put it higher up. I think :confused:

Fire Mage
10-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Once you get the hang of any of the songs they are easy. It took me two or three tries to 5 star the metal because I was getting used to the new controller. (I played it at Game Crazy). I cannot believe that Rock You Like a Hurricane is higher than Even Flow. I thought Even Flow was so much harder than Rock You. I believe that just the solo is harder on Rock You so they put it higher up. I think :confused:
Even Flow I've hitten every note in the song before. I just haven't hit them all in one go, haha. After a few more tries I should have that FCed.

But as for Rock You Like a Hurricane, I haven't been able to even FC the intro.

killerharu45
10-19-2007, 03:42 AM
Even Flow I've hitten every note in the song before. I just haven't hit them all in one go, haha. After a few more tries I should have that FCed.

But as for Rock You Like a Hurricane, I haven't been able to even FC the intro.

Ya, I guess it depends on your point of view. I only think the intro and solo is hard on Rock You Like a Hurricane, the verse and chorus is really easy. Even Flow has a verse that takes one or two tries to get the timing and the solo is decent. I think Rock You Like a Hurricane is the equivilent of Search and Destroy or You Really Got Me. Everything is easy until the solo, at least for me.

Spot2009
10-19-2007, 04:55 AM
Well, expert isn't really designed for all players. It's like DDR's heavy difficulty, just plain INSANE. I found battle mode very fun to play w/ my friend. If you guys aren't the same match, just have the worse person play a lower difficulty.. It's still fun.

But this game is definitely harder than GH2. I saw a video of Slow Ride (which is supposed to be the first song in the game) and it has chords of 3. Oh well..

Anyone else notice in the demo that no hold note reaches another note? Like it always ends a little before the next note, unlike in GH2?

Swished
10-19-2007, 01:40 PM
8.0 is quite a good score, but I guess I need to play it for myself to see what I really think of the game. (Anyone want to ship over the game and console to the UK for free) :P

bradman12
10-19-2007, 11:38 PM
im glad they made it harder, if it even is harder. expert was too easy on gh2 with the exception of jordan :-)

deleted24022010
10-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Well I'm just starting through the Hard levels in Guitar Hero II and havent finished it yet. I downloaded the Demo and tried Even Flow and Lay Down on Hard and got through them no problem on my first tries.

Almost seemed easier if it helps :)

Bluntman428
10-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Personally, I thought the OXM review was pretty shoddy. They complained about it being harder, and Battle Mode being too hard, but what the hell did they expect? It'd be a disservice to people who've played the first two games and beat Expert if they didn't ramp up the difficulty a little bit. As for the Battle Mode, again, what the hell did they expect? I think it's being implemented perfectly. If some people don't like it, they can still play co-op online, a fact they barely even mentioned in their review.

I'm pretty shocked at how amateurish that review was, especially given the source. They barely even touched on the improvements. What about the better graphics, clearer fret board, and extra visual flares? What about the improved track list with way more master tracks than the previous games? What about the functionality with the guitarhero.com website and the inclusion of online multiplayer?

All the reviewer did was bitch and moan about how much harder it is. Well shit dude, if it's that bloody hard, play it on Medium. Not everyone can play it on Expert, don't bitch and whine because you're just not good enough. Guitar Hero's always had an excellent learning curve. Unlike most games where you can blast through Medium and then play through on the highest difficulty the next time through, you actually have to practice and get good at the game and gradually work your way up. When I first bought GH2, I failed my first song on Easy. It took months for me to finally work my way up to the point where I could beat Expert, and I was damn proud when I did.

I can tell you one thing, you can expect a 90+ rating for GH3 on this website unless the final product fails to deliver on the promises that have been made. And judging from the demo, that seems unlikely. ;)

KingGotenW
10-28-2007, 12:58 AM
I'm gonna have trouble on hard and expert, plus ive seen how difficult battle mode is... but i would still have given GH3 a 9/10. -1 point for making us pay $100