PDA

View Full Version : The power of the "A" button.

Crimson Drifter
10-18-2007, 08:54 AM
I find it hilarious that they give you a tutorial about how to use stuff and its always the exact same thing: Use the "A" button.

"oops a dead end, use "A" on the ladder, need to ride a mine cart use "A", break those shiny boxes "A" again, need to ride that magic block you got it "A", how bout swimming float along with the "A" button, ooo a switch to use it push "A".

lol after the first few times I laughed every other time I see it

and they treat it like its complicated. "Okay listen up cause I wont tell you again... use the "A" button."

Anyone else find this hilarious and a not needed explanation?

M7.Ninja
10-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Yeah, I think they overdid it there.

Zef
10-18-2007, 02:55 PM
I didn't really mind it, sure they over simplified the game but it didn't really make it any worse. If you look at Gears of War, they use single buttons for all sorts of things but because it is an action game if you screw up it is usually going to bite you whereas in Enchanted Arms if you mess up you don't do anything other than stand still.

Crimson Drifter
10-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Don't get me wrong I don't think it makes the game worse, I think this game is great.

Just I don't think they have to give you a tutorial everytime, where as you should just walk up to it and it will prompt you to use the button.

This game has some good light hearted comedy and this just adds to it :D

MDK75
12-06-2007, 12:44 AM
This post made me lol. I haven't even played the game and I can imagine it!

Chojin
12-29-2007, 12:45 AM
i made it up to Koh following the story and listening to the dreadful voice acting. but now i'm just mashing the A button to get through all the cut scenes.

i think i can get the gist of the story without listening to it.:drunk

Aloriain
12-29-2007, 10:40 AM
man the cutscenes and awful "acting" are what make this game great I started playing with a mate round and we were wetting ourselves over the choice of words and voicing.

Mrs Cliffton
12-29-2007, 08:24 PM
lol the entire system and game is very simple for an rpg, and personally the tutorial is crap if you have ever played an rpg

Rink Rat 55
12-30-2007, 08:39 PM
I found all the "A button" tutorials hillarious as Atsuma being treated as if he is brain-dead. For the most part, that seems to be true lol.

soopavillen
01-17-2008, 06:24 AM
ya i thought the constant "A" button tutorial went great with the way they made Atsuma seem like a a dumb ass the whole game, but on the other hand it got a little over whelming. Also i agree with who ever said the tutorial was just horrible if you already know how to play a turn based RPG. Over all though still an OK game.

ASTROBL4ACK
03-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Didn't really bother me a whole lot, but I remember it being pretty funny.

Astian
03-20-2008, 10:59 PM
I think it was there to emphasise the fact that Atsuma is not all that intelligent.

QuickStrafe
04-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Hehe, I just started this game, I'm about 3 hours through it I htink, maybe 4. I laughed so much at the A button tutorials, then they got a bit annoying for a minute. I like this game though, can't wait to get further.... maybe soon there will be tutorials with the B button. :D

Asgorath
07-31-2008, 09:46 PM
I picked up the game dead-cheap a while ago but only now started playing it and I immediately noticed this as well. It's quite funny, but I did end up just skipping through it very quickly... Press A button to open a chest, press A button to climb a lader, Press A b.... and all in lengthy explanations and even with an option to say that you didn't get it and ask for a repeat of the explanation. So over the top it's funny, but I actually think the developers where serious when they made it :p

Overall so far, while far from the greatest RPG I've ever played (but then again I'm an RPG junk for years and years) it's actually better then I thought it would be (but then again... I had very low expectations :p).

Tip: While still moderatly annoying (esp. the gay guy) the voice-acting seems better in Japanese then English.

MissKittyKat21
04-29-2009, 06:40 AM
i did find it pretty funny...now i just ignore it...considering any time you have to use the A button it pops up on the screen with the little A button icon and what will happen if you press it...i think they made it like that for those people out there who can't remember anything like ever!

phobzy85
04-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Haha yeah it was funny when it kept happening. I was pissing myself at the first ladder in the game. Atsuma: Oh noes guys we are going to have to turn back, it's a dead end. Hahaha that was hilarious. Then you learn the awesome climb up a ladder and down a ladder technique :)

Nuffzx
05-18-2009, 05:17 PM
I actually had a half-written review (mostly slamming) on this game after I played it over a year ago. The title was going to be "In order to read this review, press A".

Seems like you really are trolling the fourms, fair enough you didn't like it but other people did.

And yeh, it was pretty funny... It was a good laugh.

iNf3Rn0 Lan
07-25-2009, 09:18 PM
I really liked the game after about 25% through, but the thing that made me not want to play this game for about 5 months WAS the tutorial about the A button. I'm sorry but that REALLY annoyed me.

CashlessGecko
11-12-2009, 02:31 AM
Hehe, I just started this game, I'm about 3 hours through it I htink, maybe 4. I laughed so much at the A button tutorials, then they got a bit annoying for a minute. I like this game though, can't wait to get further.... maybe soon there will be tutorials with the B button. :D

B Button? Are you Mad, Atsuma's head would literally just explode. And Toya would explain exactly what has happened and Makoto would, be gay.

JonnyBgamer
05-02-2010, 02:57 AM
WAIT there is an "A" button on my controller!?! lies LIES i tell you all i see are shapes. this site is only for the 360 punks go back to you little kiddy sony playground
just kidding

Logan I
05-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Yeah I got a little old after the second time, way too much dialouge when they coud just say press a... "Hey Atsuma, do you know how to wipe your ass? First you will need the special enchant break ass wipe toilet paper, this must be acquired by getting your asswiping degree and enchanting license, then you combine your two learned skills to wipe your ass... To do this press a"

OOOOOPS MY BAD
09-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Lol I agree the tutorial was so funny and stupid. Just got this game today and...

Atsuma: "Hey Toya, how do you..." :confused:

Toya: "Sigh... Just go close to it and press A" :abut:

Makoto: "OMG WOW! Toya, you are really smart..." :eek:

SmoothAsEgg5
09-27-2010, 03:21 AM
about 6 hours in, and its so damn annoying. i dont have a problem with the battle system and story (so far), but the dialog drives me crazy. i lost count how many times Toya said "if i recall..."

Damian227
10-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Yeah the pissin A thing got right on my nerves lol. The acting is amazing though, the deadpan delivery of "Calm down Makoto, it's not like the floor is going to break..... OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO!" only the entire thing is said like the actor is sleep talking haha

VAmp1R3
03-12-2011, 10:37 PM
if i will have a joystick only with the A button i will play this game :)

Tenri
04-28-2011, 03:48 PM
The 'a' button tutorials and the voice acting are what made this game for me. So funny. XD I'm easily amused.

achti
04-29-2011, 08:55 PM
The A button tutorials are hilariouse same as the 'if i recall...' in a dialogue xD

Paka
07-25-2011, 01:47 AM
It does almost seem like a joke after a bit, especially with things like the ladder and swimming. This game kind of seems like a parody RPG so far in some ways. I was also laughing at the "Press A, you moron" lectures.

The tutorials also seem close to breaking the fourth wall in the way they are delivered, except that Atsuma appears to accept being told to press A and save and such as naturally as being told to put one foot in front of another. Though I'm still very early on, so maybe he does finally ask WTF an "A button" is. :p

Heroic Blanket
08-06-2011, 11:25 AM
He doesn't, he just keeps getting told to press it.

Tsaako
09-16-2011, 02:05 AM
The "A" button, Press it - See what happens.

Dangerous Brian
10-16-2011, 01:03 AM
I find it hilarious that they give you a tutorial about how to use stuff and its always the exact same thing: Use the "A" button.

"oops a dead end, use "A" on the ladder, need to ride a mine cart use "A", break those shiny boxes "A" again, need to ride that magic block you got it "A", how bout swimming float along with the "A" button, ooo a switch to use it push "A".

lol after the first few times I laughed every other time I see it

and they treat it like its complicated. "Okay listen up cause I wont tell you again... use the "A" button."

Anyone else find this hilarious and a not needed explanation?

Picture the scene. The game developers are sitting round a table with a controller each. The lead developer says to the others, "We need to make the control system next, what do we do?" Some bright spark points out that the 360 controller has 4 basic buttons they could choose from. "We could use 'X'." He gets fired, "No, too complex" the lead guy says. Someone else says, "Well, we could use Mega Drive controls, thats only 3 buttons." He gets fired too "No, Still too complex". Ok, lets use the same controls as these NES controllers. "Nah, too complex. Lets just use A. It's still too complex, but we need a button to use. Put a tutorial in for every action and reaction, and while we're at it. Make the map appear with the pause button, get rid of the pause feature alltogether, open the menu with 'Y' and use 'A' for everything else. By the way, you're all fired."