PDA

View Full Version : Question about the contest's.

Nick G 42390
10-20-2007, 05:25 AM
Okay, I have a question and I couldn't find it anywhere else so I decided to make this thread. After looking at the new contest for Game Of The Year, I was just wondering if the people that just come to the site and just make an account just for the contest and don't stick around are even in the drawing for the prizes? And if they are isn't that kinda not fair? That some random ass person can just make an account, post once and win a contest and never return to that site again. Just wondering and if this is in the wrong section, I'm sorry. Couldn't decide if it should go here or the FAQ section.

SmurfTacular
10-20-2007, 05:29 AM
What makes you say this? Do you know someone who has? Because thats kinda rare...

Nick G 42390
10-20-2007, 05:33 AM
What makes you say this? Do you know someone who has? Because thats kinda rare...

No I haven't, that's why i'm asking. If you look at the thread for the new contest there's tons of people that only make an account to post in the contest and never come back. That's why I asked this so I staff member can come and answer it. I for one would find that very unfair to reward someone who's not an active member in this community over someone who is.

Jdm
10-20-2007, 11:33 AM
No I haven't, that's why i'm asking. If you look at the thread for the new contest there's tons of people that only make an account to post in the contest and never come back. That's why I asked this so I staff member can come and answer it. I for one would find that very unfair to reward someone who's not an active member in this community over someone who is.

To tell you honestly Nick, I see many members post for the contest, but I've never seen them on the site before.

I agree and Non-Active Members should NOT be allowed to enter any contests. There should be a certain Post Count requirement to qualify for the contests.

The Pants Party
10-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Contests are a way to draw new people to the site. We hope they stick around after they enter, but we can't force them. If we limited them to people with X number of posts, people would think we're assholes and not want to come here at all.

The community events/leaderboards are a different story, because those are perks that take time to update and run, so keeping those to people with X number of posts just make sense. And they give these new people who show up for the contests something to strive for. "Hey, if I stick around I can play in tournaments and get on the leaderboard!"

Jdm
10-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Contests are a way to draw new people to the site. We hope they stick around after they enter, but we can't force them. If we limited them to people with X number of posts, people would think we're assholes and not want to come here at all.

The community events/leaderboards are a different story, because those are perks that take time to update and run, so keeping those to people with X number of posts just make sense. And they give these new people who show up for the contests something to strive for. "Hey, if I stick around I can play in tournaments and get on the leaderboard!"

So it's more for promoting the site?

I understand where you're coming from, Pants. But honestly, I didn't even bother to enter the contest.

The Pants Party
10-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Well that's an easy way to not win!

Since the contests are picked by random number generator, everyone has the same chance. Maybe in the future we could give two entries to members with X posts as a "thank you" or whatever, but we won't be outright excluding new members.

dda24
10-20-2007, 01:13 PM
I'm glad threr is a no post limit for these contests. I think there is already enough stuff on this site that the members are limited to doing. There are other things on this site that I would love to enter, but can't yet due to my posts #. I just didn't feel like posting a bunch of random posts before that meant nothing to anybody. I still contribute to the site even though I don't have 50+ posts.. I have gotten numerous people coming her now after I told them about it, and some even switched over from other gaming sites to come here. So again thanks for making some things on here for people with less posts. Even though I don't really care about this one.. I would rather have been let into the GSL V. But it's cool maybe next time..

Jdm
10-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Well that's an easy way to not win!

Since the contests are picked by random number generator, everyone has the same chance. Maybe in the future we could give two entries to members with X posts as a "thank you" or whatever, but we won't be outright excluding new members.

Alright Pants, I'll put my name in the pot.

But if I happen to win, I'll hold my own little contest and give away the game.;)

I also did not mean to offend any members. It's just that some of us "geezers" get cranky at times.;):p

Blind x360a
10-20-2007, 02:11 PM
I know I don't like how people just make accounts to win a game then won't ever come back again.

The two chances is a good idea though Pants.

dda24
10-20-2007, 02:15 PM
I think the chance of getting good members to join the site is worth the risk of not winning a $50 game in a contest I probably wouldn't have won in the first place. It's good publicity for the site..