PDA

View Full Version : A new permanent Sticky for every forum?

Sweet666Kraven
10-23-2007, 12:37 AM
Well I noticed how when a new forum for a game is created there are a couple of auto stickies which are 'Achievement Discussion' ,'Looking for online matches' etc etc

I also noticed that in almost every single retail games forum someone always ends up making a thread asking 'How many hours for 1000 points?' So I thought why not just have a permanent one?

I know that a lot of them threads get locked down and get told to go to the 'Achievement Discussion.' thread. But why do you think these thread keep getting created -- People don't want to read through 6-7 pages of achievement discussion (and possibly spoilers) just to find out how many hours it takes to complete.

I'm not sure if you are going to think this is a good idea, but I do. What are everybody else's thoughts on this?

-Kraven.

ac2565
10-23-2007, 12:43 AM
The only Achievement Discussions that have 6+ pages is for Gears of War and Halo 3. Thus I do not think it is a good idea.

Sweet666Kraven
10-23-2007, 12:46 AM
The only Achievement Discussions that have 6+ pages is for Gears of War and Halo 3. Thus I do not think it is a good idea.

I just went to test that. The first forum I clicked on was 'Rainbow 6: Vegas' and it happens to have an achievement discussion of 10 pages, go figure.

EDIT: The next one I go to is 'Dead Rising'...not 6 or 7 achievement discussion pages...just 49!!

The Pants Party
10-23-2007, 01:13 AM
We can't accommodate every time users become lazy. Just because people don't feel like searching to find their answer, doesn't mean that's not what should be done. If you want to know about achievements (ease, length, etc.) doesn't a thread called "achievement discussion" sound like the place to do it?

Honestly, I don't care if people spam up those threads asking the same question every ten posts. It's just the new threads that clutter the forums that bother me.

Shaaady Souljah
10-23-2007, 01:28 AM
If you want to know about achievements (ease, length, etc.) doesn't a thread called "achievement discussion" sound like the place to do it?

For now, that is the place to do it... and it works fine. It is pretty easy to gauge how long/easy a game is by browsing its forums for a minute or two.

But (I feel like I have said this a hundred times; probably because I have) we are possibly going to implement an achievement difficulty ranking into games sometime. Don't worry.

Sweet666Kraven
10-23-2007, 02:39 AM
We can't accommodate every time users become lazy. Just because people don't feel like searching to find their answer, doesn't mean that's not what should be done. If you want to know about achievements (ease, length, etc.) doesn't a thread called "achievement discussion" sound like the place to do it?

I can see where you are coming from, I really can. However, if you look at the Dead Rising Achievement Discussion it happens to have 1447 posts. Now asking someone to look for a specific answer to their query by reading through 1447 posts, I wouldn't call that lazy. I'd call is crazy if they actually did it. Obviously in this situation the user that is looking for an answer to how long it takes to hit 1000 is going to start a new thread. I've seen this time and time again.

You also say that its the new threads that clutter the forum that bother you? That's exactly what I am saying. That is the reason that I created this thread. In almost every retail game forum there is at least 5 topics asking how long it takes to hit 1000, wouldn't it be less clutter and less confusion just to have the one sticky?

Bodangles
10-23-2007, 04:06 AM
For now, that is the place to do it... and it works fine. It is pretty easy to gauge how long/easy a game is by browsing its forums for a minute or two.

But (I feel like I have said this a hundred times; probably because I have) we are possibly going to implement an achievement difficulty ranking into games sometime. Don't worry.

woot woot sounds like a great idea, can't wait. but in a neutral position, if someone is worried how long it will take to ace the game, i think the quick 1000 and hard 1000 is the first and only place to look. if it's under 25 hours, youre in the quick 1000. if it's above 40 hours, youre in the hard 1000. thus, assuming your game was not in the threads mentioned, you can reasonably assume the game takes between 25 and 40 hours.

Scotian Bred
10-23-2007, 07:31 AM
There is really no point in asking this question in the fourms .. you would definatly find out once you started to play the game if it would take a long time or not .. and even looking at the achievement lists can give ya a vague idea on how long it could take if the game is a rental or a definate buy .. there are alot of things i am sure the mods are working on .. but this shouldn't be one of them .. but the rating thing someone said before .. now thats a good idea and a great replacement for those types of threads it would be alright to , at a glance , to see how easy a list could be or how hard it could be .. that would help that lil extra in figuring out the amount of time need to gain the achievements.

As for those types of posts its usually people who don't really understand the rules of the fourms .. i am sure i broke them before to, but we all start somewhere..

Sweet666Kraven
10-23-2007, 07:46 AM
What a few of you aren't seeing is that I am not saying this because of my own personal gain but because I think it would cut down on the number of threads that people create. Just look in almost any retail game forum. Odds are you will find a thread called 'How long for 1k?' or 'How many hours does it take to get 1000 points in this game?' and if they get locked people just make new ones. You can't just say this shouldn't happen and that it will just go away, it won't. People are going to continue to do this until it's solved one way or another.

P1NSEEKER
10-23-2007, 07:48 AM
We could always meet in the middle and put how long for the 1000 in the faq's.

Xterm1n8or
10-23-2007, 10:35 AM
I think its a brilliant idea.

narcolepticshee
10-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Yeh, i think it's a good idea.

And Pants, you say people are 'lazy' if they don't want to search through pages and pages of answers? These are your forum users here and if they can't be arsed to use the system you guys have put in place, doesn't that show that something else is needed?

I think it's pretty slack the way people are trying to suggest ways to improve the site, make it more user friendly and easyier to use and all you can say is 'people are lazy if they don't search?'. I think it's pretty lazy not listening to your users and even considering what they say or want.

Everything that anyone needs on this site should be able to be accessed easily and quickly, i.e. user friendly. Now i don't know about anyone else, but i feel that wading through pages of forums to find one answer that can be stated on every forum is not easy or user friendly.

I aint having a dig or anything, but thats just my opinion

Peace

Honkymagoo
10-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Yeh, i think it's a good idea.

And Pants, you say people are 'lazy' if they don't want to search through pages and pages of answers? These are your forum users here and if they can't be arsed to use the system you guys have put in place, doesn't that show that something else is needed?

I think it's pretty slack the way people are trying to suggest ways to improve the site, make it more user friendly and easyier to use and all you can say is 'people are lazy if they don't search?'. I think it's pretty lazy not listening to your users and even considering what they say or want.

Everything that anyone needs on this site should be able to be accessed easily and quickly, i.e. user friendly. Now i don't know about anyone else, but i feel that wading through pages of forums to find one answer that can be stated on every forum is not easy or user friendly.

I aint having a dig or anything, but thats just my opinion

Peace

I'm with you on that one. It seems like every time I see a good idea it gets shut down without any questions. Or I see someone say something like:

There is really no point in asking this question in the fourms .. you would definatly find out once you started to play the game if it would take a long time or not ..

At that point why even come to the site? If you think all the information you need is right on the game why do you waste your time coming here?

I see people trying to clear up some spam and make things more efficient because you have admins who have to lock down a dozen threads every day. I think that would become tedious. Then I see said admins getting mad about having to lock down these threads and then getting mad at people trying to help them.

RoutineX
10-23-2007, 04:32 PM
The idea isn't bad, but I think we should try to avoid is getting to many stickies. Having one for game info, achievement trading, achievement guide etc etc can easily clutter up the forums. Especially since the stickies is visible no matter if you're browsing page 1 or 100 of a forum. And it could be just as frustrating for some people that has to scroll through countless of stickies they don't really care about, as the ones who will use them. Personally I don't care how long time I use to 1k a game. I pop in the game and enjoy it as long as I can. Doesn't matter if it takes 1 hour or 100 as long as I like it. But of course... if it is what the people want, it is something we should try include on the site.

Couldn't this be something that should be included on the front pages of the site with the rest of the game info for each game?

No matter how it gets incorporated, there will always be the discussion about how long it takes to complete a game. Some times it just goes down to how good you are. Some might say "I completed CoD 2 in 12 hours". Others might never complete it.

Not to mention some games are almost impossible to clock an approx number of hours to complete. I.eg GoW and the Serious achievement or other games with insane online achievements. Especially with games like that, it could add tens of hours to the time if you boost or not.

Since everything is so relative, it could perhaps be better to have a i.eg 1-10 ranking system on the timeframe/how hard it is.

So all in all, it basically comes down to an effective way to add it to the site.

Zef
10-23-2007, 05:42 PM
Since someone brought it up, if you can't be arsed reading through 1447 posts in a thread then use the search feature for that thread, just like the regular search feature only it just searches in that thread.

Since asking how long it takes is discussing achievements, the first place I would look is the achievement discussion thread. Although putting it in the FAQs is a great idea, if noone is looking in Achievement Discussion they probably won't look in a different sticky, so people would just be redirecting people to another thread.

I still like the idea of having a multiple option poll that is public for people to vote on their opinion on achievements. It has pretty colours so even the less sensible of forum goers could get the gist of whether the game has easy, quick or good achievements.

Shinobi273
10-23-2007, 05:51 PM
So all in all, it basically comes down to an effective way to add it to the site.

What if it were added to the individual game achievement pages? Eliminate the cheats page and replace it with an achievement by achievement 1-10 difficulty and type (time, weapon kill, kills, collect, score, event, etc.). That way, no additional stickies, not alot of added clutter. I'm not sure if you could be overachieving and include a poll option that members could vote on, but even a difficuly decided by the staff would probably be okay. As long as the baseline difficulty values are decided on.

narcolepticshee
10-23-2007, 07:28 PM
What if it were added to the individual game achievement pages? Eliminate the cheats page and replace it with an achievement by achievement 1-10 difficulty and type (time, weapon kill, kills, collect, score, event, etc.). That way, no additional stickies, not alot of added clutter. I'm not sure if you could be overachieving and include a poll option that members could vote on, but even a difficuly decided by the staff would probably be okay. As long as the baseline difficulty values are decided on.

sounds like a wicked idea to me. Probaly the best way of doing it

Peace

TheColdWolf
10-24-2007, 07:22 PM
That is not a bad idea at all!!!

nightmare975
10-25-2007, 01:51 AM
How about we just put that kind of info in the first post of the thread? Makes it a lot easier.

Bodangles
10-25-2007, 06:02 AM
The idea isn't bad, but I think we should try to avoid is getting to many stickies. Having one for game info, achievement trading, achievement guide etc etc can easily clutter up the forums.

i think that pretty much sums it up. i mean some games already have stickies that require you to scroll down. off the top of my head i couldn't name them, and it isn't a far scroll, but regardless stickies are meant to be convienient and immediately accessed. when you get to a point when you have to scroll to get stickies, don't they just become simple threads?

PerpetualHeaven
10-25-2007, 11:47 AM
This is basically the most talked about topic. There will eventually be something along the lines of achievement difficulty. Patience and time will tell.

Birky
10-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Just a suggestion but you could combine this poll with another thread. Like have the achievement discussion stickied thread also have a poll for achievement discussion in it. That would not make the forums any more crowded.

Vista
10-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Check out the quick 1000 and long 1000 theread in the games forum... they tell you how long it usually takes.

also just drop someone a PM who has completed the game (check the leaderboards) I am sure they could tell you!