PDA

View Full Version : FFVII The Greatest Game Ever?

Meakio
10-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Final Fantasy 7 is one of my favourite PS1 games and thousands, even millions of other people around the world would probably agree with me. I wondering why so many people love this game. Is it the Great graphics ? Or the almighty bad guy Sephiroth ? Just leave your opinion about this game, be it positive or negative.

Zef
10-27-2007, 12:28 PM
I'd say it is probably one of the most overrated (in a way) game ever, most people who preach that FFVII is the best game in the series usually haven't played any or many of the others. Yes it is a good game, story is great, everything works quite well and there are some interesting mini-games (squatting). But I much prefer FFIX because it has better graphics, fairly similar story and great mini-games and side quests.

The greatest game ever is Tetris though, everyone knows that.

Meakio
11-10-2007, 11:18 AM
I've never been a big fan of Tetris and I've recently started playing FFIX as my Xbox has broken and it is similar to FFVII but I still think FFVII or FFX is the best Final Fantasy game

Mr Arrow
11-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Greatest PS1 game = Metal Gear Solid
Innovative game play, top notch story and nothing but manly men (Psycho Matis gets a pass...troubled youth)

Off topic....why is there such a big space below my posts all of a sudden??

Zef
11-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Greatest PS1 game = Metal Gear Solid
Innovative game play, top notch story and nothing but manly men (Psycho Matis gets a pass...troubled youth)

Off topic....why is there such a big space below my posts all of a sudden??

What about the foxy (wolfy) Sniper Wolf?

And there is a gap below your posts because your avatar bit is longer than the text and you apparently have no signature.

Mr Arrow
11-10-2007, 05:06 PM
Oh yes...forgot about her, probably because I'd already made it around all the bases by the time I played this game, it did not have the same effect.

Lee Snowflake
11-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Final Fantasy 7 is one of my favourite PS1 games and thousands, even millions of other people around the world would probably agree with me. I wondering why so many people love this game. Is it the Great graphics ? Or the almighty bad guy Sephiroth ? Just leave your opinion about this game, be it positive or negative. FFVII is THE best game ever. The graphics aren't great, except in the cut-scenes. Sephiroth rules. I absolutely love this game. It's my favourite game of all time.:)

killlah631
11-13-2007, 04:40 AM
I definitely agree that is a great game, but I totally agree with you Zef that majority of the people who say it's the best, haven't played barely any of the other ones in the series. Personally, I liked FFX the best out of any of them, I too feel VII is overrated.

Zombie Brigade
12-17-2007, 02:44 AM
i only have final fantasy 7, 8, and 9 n those were some of the best ps1 games i have ever played

Meakio
12-22-2007, 07:55 PM
I would definatly agree that Metal Gear Solid 1 is also one of the greatest PS1 games I should start a thread about the MGS series :)

X monkfish69 X
02-05-2008, 07:21 PM
As much as I liked FFVII, I wouldn't say that it is THE greatest PS1 game ever. It's pretty damn close though. Metal Gear Solid is a good game, but that's not the greatest either.

The best game on PS1 for me was Gran Turismo 2. Ok, so it's not in the same league as FFVII or MGS, but that's my fave game and it's the one I played the most on PS1.

Sadly I no longer have FFVII or MGS, but I do however have GT2 and a copy of Bleem! for the DreamCast. I no longer have a PS1 either. That got traded in years ago towards an N64 !

vhayste
02-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Huh? Its a great game, no doubt. But not the greatest.

Twilight Star
03-15-2008, 06:34 PM
i did love it, it was the first game i ever played, but yeah i prefered x, viii and vi.
mgs is my favourite series of all time, i also liked spyro and crash, it's a shame there ent that many good platformers on the 360 so i hope banjo3 will change this.

Soap of Death
03-16-2008, 11:53 AM
It's a great game but definitely overrated. I'm sick of all of the fanboy bullshit surrounding the game however, apparently there is no better story in any game, book or movie than in FF7, there are no better characters than the ones in FF7, there is no better music than the music in FF7 etc.

It's also sad that every FF game released after 7 is compared to it. Don't get me wrong I don't hate FF7, I really enjoyed it, but it's hard for me to enjoy it and discuss it on internet forums when there are plenty of people out there with thick skulls.

darkXhawk
03-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Im a FF freak, and (in my opinion, of course) VII is the best. I would really like to see them port it to the PSP. X is my second fav and then IX.

v_thorne
04-08-2008, 02:55 AM
FFVII was great. The storyline was good, the graphics then were some of the most sophisticated. But personally, I think FFVIII was the best. VII was/is highly overrated. I still have it in my collection, though.

Mothershed_52
04-08-2008, 05:09 AM
You have to think of it, at the time it blew all the other games out of the water...Setting a new standard for RPG's. It's storyline, memorable characters, twists, music. It's such a monumental game because of where gaming was at when it came out and how it helped Squaresoft at the time, now Square-Enix. of course all the FF games after have better graphics like XIII and IX. I don't know if greatest but top 5 for sure.

ShaunMichael80
04-08-2008, 05:10 AM
Zelda was the best IMO

Bax x360a
04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
No. Just no. The best game ever is blatently Gears of War.

ThrawnOmega
04-08-2008, 06:02 PM
I loved FF7, don't get me wrong. It did much to bring about the modern RPG. Is it the best game ever? Good god no! FFX was better, IMO.

Mass Effect, even with its technical issues, is better. Bioshock is arguable better (yes, I used that A word). I think Deus Ex need some recognition neer the top, though it doesn't have such a foaming at the mouth fanclub.

Halo (I cringe to say this, truly) was as innovative to the FPS genre as FF7 was to RPGs in its time. It's a pity the Halo series has evolved so little since its first edition, and now feels about 10 years out of date to be (apologies to Halo fanboys).

I'm gonna stop now before I say something else that irritates someone. I don't mean to demean anyone's fav game, but FF7 is not the best game ever.

BTW, anyone else looking forward to Last Remnant later this year? (hopefully this year???)

ShaunMichael80
04-08-2008, 06:04 PM
i guess im not that big of a geek to wanna play that crap lol

RTyPE9
04-08-2008, 06:15 PM
IMO its a really great game...that while playing Crisis Core makes me wanna play FFVII again. but the greatest game ever is

R-TYPE :woop::woop:

Shaynringan
04-08-2008, 06:20 PM
It was a great game, nobody can dispute that fact. I don't believe it was the -best-. FFVIII, definitely. :P Nah, though I preferred VIII over VII, they were both great games but not really candidates for best ever. There was almost no replay value in FFVII compared to more recent games, and that will always cripple it for the nomination in my eyes.

acurate bob
06-23-2008, 03:58 PM
this is the best Final Fantasy and will be forever.

the first and greated one in 3D!

The best ever RPG with brillient story mode and greate longevety, leave me going through it again and again on PC!

BAD BLOOD BIGGY
08-10-2008, 09:30 AM
This personally was one of the best Final Fantasy games ever, with VII, Tactics, VI, and X following behind it. It was one of the best on PS1, and most would consider in the top 10 or best games ever. Hell, it was probably the biggest game ever in Japan.

Personally, Final Fantasy is one of the best franchises ever, so everyone who has played some of them would consider them great games.

BTW anyone who posts this game was crap, or I am not going to waste my time is most likely a Xbox fanboy, because it is no doubt this is a good game, even if you don't think it is the greatest.

Also note, 4 out of 5 people you ask to name a good RPG, would name a Sony RPG, with Final Fantasy probably being it. (Not on this forum though because this is an xbox forum)

ITS OVER 9000
01-17-2009, 08:19 PM
seeing as i havent played ff7 only a bit of 8 and all of 9 i cant really judge.
But i know a lot of pople think its the "greatest game evar!!." but to me the best game on the ps1 is spyro the dragon.

also one winged angel is one of the best pieces of battle music composed

.Wolfie-kun.
03-08-2009, 01:23 PM
I understand that it's very overrated but to this day it's always been my favourite game of all time, alongside Tekken 2.

Contrah
03-08-2009, 01:25 PM
The game was ok, I prefer FFIX

.Wolfie-kun.
03-08-2009, 01:43 PM
FFIX is my 2nd favourite FF =]

Vendetta
03-17-2009, 11:52 PM
FF VII was what made RPG's more mainstream. Pre- FF VII it was dominated by fanboys pretty much. While I like FF VII a lot and what it did for RPGs as a whole I have to disagree with it being called the greatest of all time. Any person who has played all of the FF series and likes VII best is ok but anyone who has only played VII has no idea of how much better FF IV, FF VI, FF X are than VII.

If you want to play the best RPG ever made play Chrono Trigger. That game did a lot to revolutionize RPGs as well. Sadly it didn't get as much mainstream attention.

Mongolian Beef
05-09-2009, 08:16 PM
The greatest game of all time would be Zelda Ocarina of Time, greatest game on PS1 would be MGS, the so-called "hardcore" will say FF7 is overrated but it's definitely one of my favorites.

ferrari360max
09-07-2009, 10:44 PM
I think its one of the most overrated piles of shit (along with the rest of the ff games) but that's my opinion.

CoregBlue1
09-08-2009, 01:35 AM
No way its definitly overrated, the greatest Final Fantasy game is imo X-2, it has so much hidden potencial and i played it over 10 times and get it on 100%.

sweatdog
10-29-2009, 04:12 PM
As I'm just starting my 3rd playthrough of this classic, I decided to voice my opinion on this game. It is one of the most important games of all time being as how it made RPG's mainstream hits, and it is certainly one of the most hyped games of all time (I never was more anxious to get a game on the date of release as I was for this one). But, and it pains me to say this, it hasn't really held up to the test of time. Don't get me wrong, I loved it when it came out, but it was so innovative, it was easy to overlook its flaws. The further you got into the story, the more confusing and indecipherable it got (and the recent game and film spin offs have actually confused the story even more). The graphics by today's standards are almost unviewable. I almost want to drag out an old 21" standard TV, because I can't remember it looking as bad as it does on my 42" LCD TV. On the good side, the materia system is still fun to play with, and there is a ton of things to do and places to explore. The music is great which add to the nostalgia when playing. I still think X is the greatest FF game of all time. Sometimes memories are best left to the past, I think...

Mikey1610
10-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Greatest game of all time is Goldeneye for N64, end of thread.

PointPlaceWI
02-19-2010, 09:23 PM
It was my favorite game ever not because of the story line or characters (because both were pretty bad), but because I loved the combat system. I loved the limiting system and I loved the leveling up. I've played a lot of RPGs and this game has so far had my favorite set-up.

Davesauce
04-15-2010, 07:21 AM
VII was good, but my personal favorite (and I'm surprised barely anyone mentioned this yet) was VI. 16 characters, all with great character development (something that really isn't present in the most recent games). Say what you want about how great the other games are, all I know is I've spent more time in that stupid rhino-shaped forest killing Tyranosaurs than pretty much anything else I've ever done.

Damian 83
09-19-2010, 02:10 AM
best games of my life...in any order

FF VII (PS1)
FF VIII (PS1)
MGS1 (PS1)
Silent Hill 1 (PS1)
FF Tactics (PS1)
Parasite Eve 1&2 (PS1)
Xenogears (PS1)
Dead Space (x360)

it seems best console ever was ps1...

Sickboy254698
01-03-2012, 09:54 AM
For its time FF7 was the greatest RPG ever.

NetroDude
12-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Without a doubt, best game ever made, released in 1997 got it straightaway when it came out I was 10, still play it to this day 12 years later

II Mortis II
12-04-2012, 11:57 AM
FFVII is THE best game ever. The graphics aren't great, except in the cut-scenes. Sephiroth rules. I absolutely love this game. It's my favourite game of all time.:)

Hyperbole BS that fanboys (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy) typically come out with. FFVII is NOT the best game ever, because due to the diversity of game genres and platforms that title can never be awarded, because some games cannot be compared to others.

Dav13s
12-05-2012, 10:41 AM
Probably my favourite game ever, but not the best. There are better, but for what this game is to ME, it's my favourite.

It love how it's cool to hate on FFVII. If you genuinely thik it's shit, fair enough, but if you think it's shit because everyone else seems to, then you're an idiot.

Gackt
12-19-2012, 12:05 AM
7 Is an overrated pile of crap with hilariously awful characters. 6= best, 1 through 6, 8 and 9 were all good. 7, 10 and up...not so much.

Dav13s
12-19-2012, 10:27 AM
7 Is an overrated pile of crap with hilariously awful characters. 6= best, 1 through 6, 8 and 9 were all good. 7, 10 and up...not so much.

Was wondering how long it would take you to spot this thread lol