PDA

View Full Version : Please try to keep Achievement guides on one Page.

Zenquen
10-30-2007, 06:21 AM
For me the best thing about an achievement guide is a one stop place to quickly print out a list/guide of all the achievements then run home and get to work. But I notice more often that achievement guides are now starting to ask me to refer to "this thread" in order to find more information on the achievement. Which creates more work for me to get the achievement guide printed, organized and sorted out, which overall really kind of turns me off to the achievement guide in whole.

It would not be hard to take large guides for single achievements and simply insert them into a drop down tab on the main achievement guide, things would still be streamlined and yet still allow people to quickly and easily print out the guild without having to scavenge through multiple threads.

The Pants Party
10-30-2007, 12:22 PM
It would not be hard to take large guides for single achievements and simply insert them into a drop down tab on the main achievement guide, things would still be streamlined and yet still allow people to quickly and easily print out the guild without having to scavenge through multiple threads.

That might be helpful, but how do you know it wouldn't be too hard? It's all just html on the guide pages, and that's not a standard feature. I'll see if this is something Routine can add into their function, but you're sounding very ungrateful at the moment.

Also, there's no "scavenging" involved since the link in the achievement description points right to the extra content you need. Click it and you're there. Now hit print. Viola. A lot of work goes into those guides, so rather than complaining about their layout, maybe you should thank the authors once in a while?

Wreckon Dracgon
10-30-2007, 12:34 PM
First a great reply Pants my friend... great reply.

Now I have a question for you Zenquen instead of just taking, and taking, from the community and offering nothing back but ways to make your experience easier because it's so hard to "Click Here" why don't you go out and write a guide for a game to help out your fellow achievers.

The pages look neater and cleaner the way they are now. Whether it's a game like Beautiful Katamari, or Viva Pinata I'd much rather have a click here where I can go and print a complete list of all the locations/details of the items or specifics that I need instead of a page that I have to scroll down for a week.

Brighton X
10-30-2007, 12:48 PM
I don't think you understand how hard it is to run this site Zenquen. Pants & Lord Wreckon are right, they're fine the way they are now. Aslo, it is hard to write a guide, I'm still working on one I started 3 months ago. But noone really respects the time put into them but just want a better one or a better way to have them.

The End.

CovertDog
10-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Simmer down now kids. Don't pile on him. He made a suggestion and although he may not have worded it very well, lets not beat him into the ground over it. My opinion on it is pretty much the same. The guides here are put together very nice. With easy to use links to all required info. To transfer all info from each reletive thread to one guide would be alot of unnecessary work. Also the guides would be huge making it harder to find what you are looking for.

Zenquen
10-30-2007, 04:47 PM
I'm sorry if I seemed unappreciative of this website or hurt your feelings, I was just trying to give a suggestion to possibly make the site better it wont happen again. I don't even know what to say, I have been standing here trying to think of the best way to respond, but I suppose I am too flabbergasted by all I have just read to respond. I suppose I will leave it at that.

Well I will make one last suggestion. Becoming defensive and ganging up on a new member trying to alienate them and make them feel unwelcome is not a good way to make people want to contribute more to the site and improve someone's attitude.

Tron
10-30-2007, 05:07 PM
i think the problem zenquen, is that the wording of your requests takes for granted the amount of work and the actual process to which it is added. I am sure that you did not mean for it to be in a negative connotation, but thats the way it can be read. The sheer volume of information is the real enemy in your request... i like the idea, and it was a good suggestion, it just didnt factor in many elements that make us unable to do it... your response above is also a bit lacking in logic and maturity. i am not attacking you but explaining to you that when you make suggestions and add in things like "It would not be hard" without a basis for that statement its quite belittling to the staff, whether you mean it or not.

We are clearly open to the community suggestions, especially since over 90% of all things that are implemented on this site are suggested. If you would like to respond to this, if your flabbergastation subsides, please feel free to PM me or one of the staff directly.

PerpetualHeaven
10-30-2007, 05:11 PM
It happens like that on all sites and some people are just not very tolerant. But seriously, it happens. No harm, no foul. I'm sure people could have dealt with it better but that's how people are and that's just how life is.

Anyways, your idea isn't bad the problem is it'll make the achievement page really long for a lot of the guides and sometimes the information is not ours therefore we have to link it to the forum which then links to something else. If we posted a link from another site into our achievement guides, that would look unprofessional and would kind of be like stealing.

Also, there are times when the list of things are extremely long, for example Bioshock. There are plenty of words and maps on there. There's no way you should really fit that into the achievement guide and make it simple. It would seem cluttered and convoluted.

I pointed out maps for Bioshock. Some people like to make their own. You can't really fit one in the achievement guide. If you think about it, it's much simpler and easier the way it is. Loading it with a bunch of things will make it feel like a walk through. PLUS, if you link it to the forum, then people can read other comments and other versions on how to earn that achievement or maybe more tips which is something that couldn't be shown in the achievement guide since one person usually makes them.

Anyways, good suggestion but if you think about it, your way wouldn't work out that well. And don't let this experience scare you away from suggesting other things. I've been shot down a hundred times before. Just walk away with a smile and work on something else. Hey, maybe you'll get the bright idea award some day.

Creech
10-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Hey Zenquen, I don't think anyone was trying to flame you or pick on you, and we definitely appreciate the input.

The only other comment I would add is that sometimes guide authors may reference material we don't have copyrights for, in which case we definitely will not include that in the guide itself, just a link to it. A good example of this is the listing of boosters in F.E.A.R., which has been very well done elsewhere and linking to that was a reasonable choice where that individual gets credit for his efforts.

When I write guides, I tend to be wordy and all-inclusive, but I don't have the time or inclination to write all the guides and various people have different styles. Even when cleaning up the guides and posting them, at least three of us do so and we all do it somewhat differently. On some guides where links were provided, I have hunted down that material and included it, on others I have not. It is a judgment call at the time.

Regardless, formating the guides from the content provided to look nice on the guide list is definitely a time consuming pain in the ass, but it is a valuable service to the gaming community so we keep doing it.

Cheers!

Cyrex
10-30-2007, 07:08 PM
one nobody has specified is there is a post limit on each post that someone can make. This is also why the guides are getting to be 5-6 posts a piece and people are having to reserve places for their guide because people in general tend to be stupid and just post in it before it is done with a "nice guide". The other thing is that if those types of explanations that are in the other threads are put into the achievement guide those guides would end up being north of 10 pages long. That tends to be our problem as we move forward, the post limit, people are writing more and more in depth guides. These other threads are to keep the other parts of the guide smaller

The Pants Party
10-30-2007, 07:43 PM
one nobody has specified is there is a post limit on each post that someone can make. This is also why the guides are getting to be 5-6 posts a piece and people are having to reserve places for their guide because people in general tend to be stupid and just post in it before it is done with a "nice guide". The other thing is that if those types of explanations that are in the other threads are put into the achievement guide those guides would end up being north of 10 pages long. That tends to be our problem as we move forward, the post limit, people are writing more and more in depth guides. These other threads are to keep the other parts of the guide smaller

He's talking about the guides on the main page, not the forums..

Edit: Closed at the request of Zenquen.