PDA

View Full Version : x360a Magazine

Blind x360a
11-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Not literally a magazine. ;)

We could have like a forum where we would post the weekly issue. We could do reports on new games coming out and what the community and writers think about it. We could also have like a special interview every week or even every 2 weeks.

What do you guys/gals think?

Minty
11-02-2007, 06:07 PM
You mean like a podcast......

Blind x360a
11-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Well kinda but its different because we would be able to do more things with it.

AJMac
11-02-2007, 06:44 PM
Maybe a newsletter? But, as Minty said, there is the podcast doing exactly that right now.

The Pants Party
11-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Maybe a newsletter?

Mass e-mails are a no no. Sending an e-mail to 30,000 people would piss off a fair few of them. I think it was tried in the past and wasn't a good thing.

Blind x360a
11-02-2007, 06:49 PM
What about the people that don't want to listen to the podcast? Also the community would be able to do the Magazine/Newspaper. Not just Minty and Tron :P. You guys do a good job though.

Zef
11-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I suggested newsletters yesterday (or was it today?) and got strangely the same reply from Trebor, Pants summed up exactly why =)

And in a way the forums already are a magazine, it's just continually updated with crap loads of information and obscure (second time today) unrelated things. So a magazine would just be like putting a mini-x360a onto the forums or a midget on a plinth.

Skillet
11-02-2007, 07:00 PM
And in a way the forums already are a magazine, it's just continually updated with crap loads of information and obscure (second time today) unrelated things. So a magazine would just be like putting a mini-x360a onto the forums or a midget on a plinth.

Do you have a life? You beat me to everything!:eek:

Blind x360a
11-02-2007, 07:06 PM
My bad just thought this would help people get involved and give them incentive.

Jdm
11-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Hmmm...this topic sounds awfully familiar. Ah, that's right! I created a similar thread in the Subscriber's Forum. Subscribe NOW to see it!;)

To tell you honestly, I wouldn't mind reading an issue of x360a while I was on the can. Oops, did I just say that?:p

Blind x360a
11-03-2007, 02:00 AM
It would be cool because we could make a thread for each week and the people that took part could submit what they wrote and people could enjoy it.

pongsifu
11-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Mass e-mails are a no no. Sending an e-mail to 30,000 people would piss off a fair few of them. I think it was tried in the past and wasn't a good thing.

Well most sites I go to that still have newsletters you have to check a box in your options saying you want it to be sent and it is off by default.

Not that I think x360a really needs a newsletter...

Minty
11-03-2007, 08:33 AM
What are people expecting in this newsletter anyway?

Cos site news is covered on the forum, 360 news, Achievements etc are covered on the homepage, and everythings rounded up in the podcast.

It seems that everything is already on the site- maybe someone can point out what im not seeing with this.

Blind x360a
11-03-2007, 12:38 PM
You are right Minty. I just suggested this because this could be a fun thing to do and fun for other people to read.

Zef
11-03-2007, 04:08 PM
A weekly update with random stats, insider info on what sorts of things might be in store for the site, sexy photos of DaWebbmeister's boobs maybe links to hot topics that aren't news/contest related. It wouldn't have to be a massively long thing, just snippets of info all in one place that brutally force people onto the forums in a hail of green boxiness and logos.

Maybe put some exclusive stuff onto it so that not everything is forum or podcast based, sounds cruel but it would keep people at least curious.

Skillet
11-03-2007, 04:21 PM
A weekly update with random stats, insider info on what sorts of things might be in store for the site, sexy photos of DaWebbmeister's boobs maybe links to hot topics that aren't news/contest related. It wouldn't have to be a massively long thing, just snippets of info all in one place that brutally force people onto the forums in a hail of green boxiness and logos.

Maybe put some exclusive stuff onto it so that not everything is forum or podcast based, sounds cruel but it would keep people at least curious.

I'd agree to that. I might even read it too... whilst skipping the pictures of Webb's boobs. I saw that once and I really don't want to see it again.

I have to admit, I've never listened to the podcast. I hate the things. I listened to a Bungie POOcast once and it's just not my thing.

Like Zef said, it wouldn't have to be a five page forum thread, just a quick little post maybe weekly with the current site and forum news. You do have stuff for the 360 and achievements but nothing really on the actual forum. It's almost like a blank spot on the site where everybody gathers.

Hell, it could even have stuff as trivial as the current top threads of interest and the like.

Minty
11-03-2007, 04:27 PM
just snippets of info all in one place that brutally force people onto the forums in a hail of green boxiness and logos.

Maybe put some exclusive stuff onto it so that not everything is forum

Erm........

And this newsletter is basically just seeming like a thread about the threads on the forum at the moment. Im just not really seeing a point I guess.

Zef
11-03-2007, 04:41 PM
It wouldn't be a thread, that would be pointless.

It would be like a 'highlights' of the site for a week, month or whatever. The 'best' news stories for that period (instead of the last 5 that are shown like on the homepage), popular or interesting topics for that period, links to interviews or content or competitions & tournaments. Crap like that. So it is like an 'Achievements Unlocked' thing but away from the site, I always check my emails first thing when I go on my laptop so I'd see the newsletter first and a lot of people just go straight to the forums instead of going to the homepage then using the forum button so they may very well miss anything that is pointed out on the homepage.

Since most of the competitions, news threads and tournaments are based on the forums they can get buried under the other threads and so someone randomly browsing isn't always going to see them unless they know they exist. If they don't see the homepage first then a newsletter would at least give them another chance to know. It wouldn't have to be the works of Shakespeare in email form, just however many boxes with a little passage and then a link to whatever it is about. And it would be something that isn't used by default since there were apparently floods of complaints last time, just add it in as an option during sign up if possible or include it as an email from Admin since there is already an option for that.

Blind x360a
11-03-2007, 04:54 PM
I was saying people could write articles and put them in a thread. Your idea works also.

Zef
11-03-2007, 04:57 PM
I was saying people could write articles and put them in a thread. Your idea works also.

I think the thread got hijacked a bit =P Apologies for that, but this is the wild world of the internets.

newbsicle
11-03-2007, 04:57 PM
Maybe an area for each game where everyone can read and write reviews for their favorite games. There could be several options that rate from 1-10 much like ign.com has their user reviews set up. Then again I'm just trying to build on what you said.

Swished
11-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Will the news letter come with a sexy "deilivery person"? If so i'm all up for the news letter!