PDA

View Full Version : PS3, Folding@Home in Guinness World Records

Jdm
11-05-2007, 01:03 PM
PS3, Folding@Home in Guinness World Records

That's a lot of computations. The most ever, in fact.
By Steve Watts (http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=5557327), 11/01/2007
As previously reported (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3163055), Sony's assistance to the Folding@Home project via PlayStation 3 resulted in reaching the milestone of a petaFLOP of computation power. This is a lot of power, roughly equal to every human on planet earth doing 75,000 math equations in their head at once. I have trouble doing more than one, so clearly we would need more manpower for this task. We knew it was a lot of computing, but perhaps didn't know that it's a record-setter. Sony Computer Entertainment has announced the September 16 milestone has been recorded to Guinness World Records as the most powerful distributed computing network in existence. The milestone was reached again on September 23.
"To have Folding@home recognized by Guinness World Records as the most powerful distributed computing network ever is a reflection of the extraordinary worldwide participation by gamers and consumers around the world and for that we are very grateful," said Vijay Pande, Folding@home project lead in the press release. "Without them we would not be able to make the advancements we have made in our studies of several different diseases. But it is clear that none of this would be even remotely possible without the power of PS3, it has increased our research capabilities by leaps and bounds."
So in summary, while you Xbox 360 and Wii owners play your games, the PlayStation 3 will be curing cancer and setting world records. Beat that.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164107

Probably the only people here that are intrigued by this is me and Mr. PH7.:p

CAMOUFLAGEiPOD
11-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Pretty cool stuff JDM, I do the folding@home sometimes. If it does ever help them find a cure to something, then it will be a great day. 75,000 equations by every human being at once. Thats impressive.

PerpetualHeaven
11-05-2007, 08:14 PM
That's freaking sweet. I think this gives Sony some huge exposure for their cell processor. Obviously it's not that great in terms of gaming but hell, scientific processes look at her go! Well now I'm going to have to figure out how I can make it do my physics homework.

BlaZiN cdn
11-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Wow, I guess I'll have to start using Folding@Home, I don't even know what it does:p

But 75,000 equations by everyone in the world at once is a lot of equations.

PerpetualHeaven
11-06-2007, 01:57 AM
Wow, I guess I'll have to start using Folding@Home, I don't even know what it does:p

But 75,000 equations by everyone in the world at once is a lot of equations.

Well basically protein folding is a very important biological process. A lot of scientists believe that a lot of diseases occur because something goes wrong within the protein folding process. This is when folding@home comes in. Folding@Home folds proteins and every time one is folded the data is sent. This is creating every possible scenario for a protein fold and apparently keeps track of the ones that go wrong also. They can study the data they receive from everyones folded proteins. I ran it on my computer a while back but unfortunately I do not have a very good computer so I didn't run it any longer.