PDA

View Full Version : Some aspects of the site are unimpressive

Rascalov
11-08-2007, 01:04 PM
First of all I appreciate the effort that goes into the site. I just think some parts are a bit disappointing. I mainly come for the forums, leaderboard and GSL. The main page is a let down though. For example the news section just seems tacked on and sometimes just seems like an ad for games companies. Like a few days ago there was a story about some EA exec urging people to get down to their local store and buy Rock Band. That's not news. :p Today there's "Activision team up with Pontiac and Hot Topic for Rock Band." The smackdown vs raw 08 faceplate competition kind of sucks as well. Is anyone interested in that?

Would like to know what you guys think.

CovertDog
11-08-2007, 01:16 PM
The smackdown vs raw 08 faceplate competition kind of sucks as well. Is anyone interested in that?

So far 76 people, but whos counting.

The Pants Party
11-08-2007, 01:18 PM
I have so many things I want to say right now, but I'm supposed to be professional and respectful, so I am just going to say... "I disagree with you."

Clipse 2
11-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Being a member of the news team I can tell you its somewhat of a personal decision on what to post. You'll notice that we actually pull articles from other places so whether to post what we find or not is the only control we have. It has to be something of importance for me to post it and as of late I haven't posted much news and it some times comes in spurts with me, depending on whats going on in the industry of course.

But take for instance the Two Worlds update article that was just posted, that right there is something of definite importance as they are fixing a ton of things gamers have had issues with. I was actually about to post it myself when I saw that Webb beat me to it. I like posting the news and to be honest posting the bad news gives me a thrill. Reported rumors are also fun to post because it seems to get people riled up about things. :p

I'm not sure about the contest, thats not my department. But there will always be aspects of anything that could be improved upon, its just finding a method of making those improvements that can be difficult.

jackanape
11-08-2007, 04:19 PM
First of all I appreciate the effort that goes into the site. I just think some parts are a bit disappointing. I mainly come for the forums, leaderboard and GSL. The main page is a let down though. For example the news section just seems tacked on and sometimes just seems like an ad for games companies. Like a few days ago there was a story about some EA exec urging people to get down to their local store and buy Rock Band. That's not news. :p Today there's "Activision team up with Pontiac and Hot Topic for Rock Band." The smackdown vs raw 08 faceplate competition kind of sucks as well. Is anyone interested in that?

WHAT? The main page is great as far as I'm concerned, it shows exactly what has been going on with the site recently as well as having news, reviews and competitions. Not to mention links to every part of the site you could need (leaderboards, guides, forums) so what else could there possibly be?

I enjoy the news section and there's always been something on there that's tweaked my interest, as I don't really keep up to date with magazines and the like. Plus, whenever an exec. is interviewed about their own games then of course they will urge people to buy them. It's their job.

Most staggering of all you are complaining about a competition. Dude. They are giving stuff away. For free. It costs nothing. Who doesn't like free stuff? Don't forget they can only give away things that they are given by OTHER companies, so if no one donates a Porsche (which I'm sure we'd all love to win) then they can't give it away.

Nothing can be perfect, but I think this site is doing a damn good job.

Mr Arrow
11-08-2007, 04:34 PM
...The main page is a let down though. For example the news section just seems tacked on and sometimes just seems like an ad for games companies. Like a few days ago there was a story about some EA exec urging people to get down to their local store and buy Rock Band. That's not news. :p ...

Wow, I feel totally different. I think the NEWS section is a great addition, I go to it every day. Since this is my hub of gaming goodness it's really valuable to me and I thank the good folks who put the effort into keeping it up to date.

This site is very current on all new games, achievement lists and upcoming titles.

Where else can you find all the contests? Because a particluar one does not appeal to you does that mean that it shouldn't be done? The main problem I have is that I've never one any :(

I think you're missing the forest for the trees.

Minty
11-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Right, just a few bits from me, as Im the Captain of the boat Pants is in :p

First of all, were giving away faceplates in a competition. If you dont want to enter thats fine. Doesnt mean it sucks.

And the news thing- if theres a good chance that the game will sell out, thats news. Same with the Rock Band - if its happening, its news.

bombgod
11-08-2007, 04:48 PM
I think any competition that gives free swag away is pretty cool.
And i agree that there's quite a few ad's on the main page, but the site must make money some how to pay for itself.
EDIT : who won the previous competition by the way?

Andrew x360a
11-08-2007, 04:55 PM
I, personally, like the way that the main page is set up. The news being at the top is great and its always the first thing I check (Thank God there's a Two Worlds update coming out, but that's for a different forum). The only tiny change I would ever make is moving the link to the forums up to the top, since that's where I go most often and scrolling down to get to the link makes me realize how lazy the internet has made me. I love the site. Good job.

PerpetualHeaven
11-08-2007, 04:58 PM

I have to disagree on all points. The front page is resourceful and has all the links everyone could need. I mean the Rock Band article. Did you read it? I don't think so. The guy was urging people to go out and pre-order one because apparently they're selling extremely quickly. He was simply pointing out that Rock Band is a big hit and if you want your copy, you better hurry.

And what's wrong with the Activision teaming up? Did you even READ it? First of all, it's not for "Rock Band" it's for Guitar Hero 3. Activision wasn't even involved in Rock Band, that was Harmonix, EA and MTV. Anyways, the article is about them teaming up making a tour so people can compete against one another for a Pontiac. This is letting people know where Activision might go so they can go and compete for a car and other great prizes. How is that even advertising? It's basically a contest tour.

I think you just read the titles and not the actual news content. So basically those two examples don't even support your argument. What other things in the main page do you think is a major let down? I'm quite curious actually because I'm pretty sure it's extremely easy to navigate, advertising is off all on one side, and is clean looking.

As for the Smackdown contest, how does giving away a free faceplate and skin suck? It's free! You don't even have to pay shipping if you win. We've given away Bioshock, Halo 3, Shrek the Third, etc. We've given away a ton of great stuff. Regardless, free stuff never sucks and frankly, who ever wins this faceplate + skin, will be the first people to have them considering their exclusive products we've received. They aren't even out in stores and I'm sure if it sucked, 78 people signing up (only North Americans by the way) when there's around 12-13 days left in the contest means something. And I'm sure there'll be at least 100-200 people signing up in total.

Care to share anything else?

Bodangles
11-08-2007, 05:16 PM
pwn3d. anyways, being as i'm not a mod, i would like to go on rant. but i won't just to show some class. basically, if you have't noticed, you are the only one who finds this unimpressive. secondly, go make a website more impressive, then come talk to me. next, the news is such a good feature i can't describe it. i read articles posted there when they have absolutely no effect on me. ever. lastly, how can you call a competition lame? because it's not what you want? get over yourself!

Jdm
11-09-2007, 01:01 AM
Being a member of the news team I can tell you its somewhat of a personal decision on what to post. You'll notice that we actually pull articles from other places so whether to post what we find or not is the only control we have. It has to be something of importance for me to post it and as of late I haven't posted much news and it some times comes in spurts with me, depending on whats going on in the industry of course.

But take for instance the Two Worlds update article that was just posted, that right there is something of definite importance as they are fixing a ton of things gamers have had issues with. I was actually about to post it myself when I saw that Webb beat me to it. I like posting the news and to be honest posting the bad news gives me a thrill. Reported rumors are also fun to post because it seems to get people riled up about things. :p

I'm not sure about the contest, thats not my department. But there will always be aspects of anything that could be improved upon, its just finding a method of making those improvements that can be difficult.

I'm going to agree with Clipse.

As of lately, I've been posting my own News from other sites. Now whether you think the News is "Good" or "Bad", we post it for a reason. That reason is simply to keep you updated in the Gaming Industry. Some news may or may not even be on the Main Page. Even with that said, some news may not even be news at all. It can simply just be for the sake of the site i.e. Competitions or Site Events.

I think the Main Page is great! It's the first thing everyone looks at when they visit our site. Whether you're a Lurker or a Member, the Main Page is an Eye Catcher. It's right in front of you and sometimes, you just have to read on further to see exactly what's going on.

Everyone works hard to get this site to where it is now. With the Main Page intact, YOU get all the updates/news First Hand.

I am going to quote Clipse on this because it was very well said.
But there will always be aspects of anything that could be improved upon, its just finding a method of making those improvements that can be difficult.

killlah631
11-09-2007, 02:43 AM
I have no idea where you're coming from my man. First of all how does the Smackdown vs. Raw faceplate competition suck? What do you expect them to give away TVs and cars? And news is news. All of the achievement news goes where it is supposed to, and the news part(at least I believe) is actual news, such as release dates, events, and doesn't have to have anything to do with achievements, as that's what the whole rest of the main page and rest of the site is about. And you say you mainly come for the forums, the leaderboards, and the GSL...what else more do you need?

Webb
11-09-2007, 03:01 AM
And what's wrong with the Activision teaming up? Did you even READ it? First of all, it's not for "Rock Band" it's for Guitar Hero 3. Activision wasn't even involved in Rock Band, that was Harmonix, EA and MTV. Anyways, the article is about them teaming up making a tour so people can compete against one another for a Pontiac. This is letting people know where Activision might go so they can go and compete for a car and other great prizes. How is that even advertising? It's basically a contest tour.

I'm glad someone actually read the news article :p And OP, next time you use quotation marks, the quote should be 100% accurate. The actual title of the news was...

"Activision Team Up With Pontiac and Hot Topic in Guitar Hero 3 Thrash Off (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../news/news.php?id=386)"

Now what isn't news about a nationwide Guitar Hero 3 tournament where the grand prize is a car? Man... That's GOOD news!!

Rock Band going gold is also good news as is the lack of supplies...

Sorry, I usually take criticism on board but when it is totally unsubstantiated then I can't take it seriously! Think before you speak.