PDA

View Full Version : Left/right tunnels in War Room level...

kormac
11-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Yes, I know, another topic on the "No Fighting in the War Room".

I have finally become fully stumped. I got to the two tunnels which split left and right, just before that slow opening door.

However I'd really love some more ideas or tips to make my chances better when i have to shoot the guys at the other end of the long tunnel.

I can consistantly get past the two tunnel crossfire, and due to my tactics I always end up in the right tunnel. A couple of things:

Is the grenade launcher rifle REALLY useful? And if so is it worth restarting this mission for? Or better still do any enemies carry the weapon?

I'm think of someone's tactic of using the grenade launcher to take out the guys down the long tunnel, since they 99.9999% of the time kill me.

I have 2 grenades and 3 flashbangs when I get to the long tunnel bit. Anyway to consistantly kill them from angles?

And finally, is the left tunnel easier or are they carbon copies of each other? Reason I have not tried the left tunnel is because I have a tactic which consistantly gets me pass the two tunnel crossfire, but in doing so I end up going down the right tunnel because it's easier. Is it worth trying the left tunnel?

Seriously this part is fucken devious. I realise that once I (and many others) get to the slow opening door, it is pretty much downhill from there. But it's those damn long range freak snipers.

There's gotta be a way to consistantly or close enough way, kill them? Never have a I encountered a situation elsewhere in the game which the enemies are so fast and accurate at that range. It's like the devs decided to make them extra hard to stop people right at the end :(

Any help would be a huge relief! :D

EDIT: i forgot to add a couple things. this is veteran mode im talking about. and also how many enemies are at the end of that tunnel when you shoot them long range? and if i get there, is there only 2 enemies left in the opposite tunnel?

and finally, is there any tactical use to killing all the enemies in the center tunnel which is blocked off? i ignore them since i assume they simply respawn anyway. god this is hard :(

FlyingPee
11-11-2007, 08:15 PM
I am getting my parts confused, I might be able to help if you can tell me what the tunnels look like. Is it the part where there is just the tunnels and they are pretty clean and straight forward, or is the part where the tunnels have a bunch of boxes in them? I can't (well, I try not) to remember which part is first =p

PaleGringo
11-11-2007, 08:21 PM
I think that it would help everybody if we all standardized on what these rooms are called. My suggestions?

Starting Point: Crew Quarters / Operations
First Checkpoint: Staircase / Storage / Crates
Second Checkpoint: Missle Silos
Third and Fourth Checkpoints: Blast Doors
Fifth Checkpoint: Wall Breach / Control Room

The "long tunnels" that people keep talking about makes me believe that it is an interior corridor between the four ICBMs that haven't launched yet. Yes, those "pole things?" Look up at them some time.

Darth Odan
11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
I'm stuck after the Staircase. I try to rush my way to the second checkpoint, but I die, even though I killed most of them. Any tips? The farthest I've gotten is to the slow door, but I didn't have enough time.

FlyingPee
11-11-2007, 08:33 PM
I never looked up hah, not much time to look around when I am getting shot at :)
Anyways, if that is the part, then I can help. Right when you run into that part, right after where the tunnels split, there is a box on the right side. Get out grenade launcher and as you run for those boxes, you will go past the right door. Shoot your grenade launcher down there and kill the guy standing there. Then switch back to your gun and look to the left hallway, move slowly and look down the left hallway. Most of the time, the guy has moved to the middle of the end of that left hall and I could shoot his shoulder before he saw me. Then get out your c4 and make a sprint into the left hall. Before you go into the room with the missile (pole), throw c4 down on the ground in between the missile and the second door where the guys come out. Now run into the room a bit and the first guy will come out. Detonate your c4 and kill him, then quickly throw another c4 in that same area and move forward again to get the second guy to come out and again detonate your c4 and kill him. Then move into the room with the pole and throw a c4 inside that room where the guys run out of and detonate it right away, this will kill the third guy who is camping in there. Now, the hard part. There is a guy camping at the end of the hallway and he always kills you very quickly. What I did was crouch, look down my sights, and slowly strafe out into the doorway and I shot before I got into the doorway so as soon as I did get into the doorway I was already shooting down the hall. I had a shotgun, so I got that out and moved down towards the other missile room. I can't remember if I ran into any guys on my way there, so just be careful. Once you get into the second missile room there are I think 2 more guys that will come out, I just killed them with my shotgun but I guess you could use c4 if you wanted to. Then when you look out into the next hallway there will be a guy on the other side of the hallway, he never gave me any trouble, just hurt me a bit but I could kill him quickly. Then that should put you at the next checkpoint :) If I left out a part, let me know and I will tell you how I did it. Hope that helps you, good luck.

Blind x360a
11-11-2007, 08:42 PM
I just beat it now on "Game Over"

When you come to a place where you have to split just flashbang the side you aren't going to. That worked for me and helped me finish. After you shut down the missiles its cake.

Darth Odan
11-11-2007, 08:51 PM
.....I'll tell you. I SUCK WITH C4. But, thanks to what you said, I knew where the enemies were at, and made it to the slow door with 4:30!!!! :D :D :D

EDIT:

YES!!!!!!!!!! NUKES ARE DOWN!!!! Now I can take the mission easier :D

kormac
11-11-2007, 09:46 PM
thanks for the replys.

haha yes i guess what i wrote was confusing. the real prob for me is after you deal with the two tunnels that go left and right. i can handle that location. my problem is when i go to the pole (i mean missile! :D) room, you gotta snipe the guys waaaay down that long tunnel. if i can figure out how to consistantly kill them, i reckon i will have a few more chances to take out the remaining couple guys then sprint for the slow opening door.

as it stands at the moment, i can deal with the left and right tunnel guys etc. but once i have to shoot down the long dark side tunnel in order to pass the blockcade, i get owned everytime. in 2 hours of playing i only managed to get to the end of that long tunnel twice!

i don't have a grenade launcher, which i imagine would help there. and i don't need to use C4 to take the ambushing guys out. it's just those couple pricks way down the other end :(

im positive if i can consistantly kill them, it might only take me a couple tries before i get the checkpoint. provided i can kill them i will have something like 40 seconds to kill the final two guys before sprinting for the door. plenty of time.

but those damn guys at the end of the long tunnel. gggrrrrhhh!

any more ideas since i don't have a grenade launcher? i've tried to strafe out a few times but it ususally ends in instant death

EDIT: does bouncing flash bangs off the tunnel walls while hidden from view work? i mean can that buy me some time to pick them off, even if the flash bangs dont get all the way down the tunnel?

SplazarGod
11-11-2007, 09:50 PM
Throw a flash bang in one tunnel, eliminate the opposite one, then by the time you've done that go back to the tunnel where you threw the flashbang.

You could use a frag instead of flash, or a frag launcher, as long as you clear one tunnel so you don't get owned from behind.

I had troubles with this on Regular :/

kormac
11-11-2007, 10:02 PM
thanks splazar but as i said before, i can handle the left/right tunnels with badguys on both ends.

i have a tactic for that part and it works most of the time. it's just when i get into the silo room and have to edge out and snipe the guys at the far end of the long dark side tunnel, is where i get wiped out. it's as if they start shooting before i even see them!

i wish i had a grenade launcher rifle :( i'll try to see what most of the enemies drop around there. maybe i might get lucky, unless someone knows there is no grenade launcher rifles around that area?

Blind x360a
11-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I don't think there is. My grenade launcher helped me so much in that level. It helped me get out of the silo's. If worst comes to worst then you restart the level it isn't that hard to get to that part.

kormac
11-11-2007, 10:52 PM
so blind rage are you saying that there is a grenade launcher rifle earlier in the mission?

i suppose i could always use my memory card to start a seperate version of that level and find the grenade launcher rifle. i can see how it makes things a lot easier when sniping those long range tunnel guys, but if i need to bring it into this mission from the previous one then i wont bother i think.

Blind x360a
11-11-2007, 11:02 PM
You start the mission with a grenade launcher on your gun.

PaleGringo
11-11-2007, 11:05 PM
On Rifles:

You start out the level with an M4A1 SOPMOD (That's Special Operations Peculiar Modification, for the uninitiated) and a sidearm. Really, you could ditch the sidearm for virtually anything and do better. Some people prefer to pick up a shotgun instead (the first shotgun you'll come across is in the room directly above the staircase where you checkpoint). I'd prefer a G36C, myself. It fires the same 5.56mm round that the M4 does, so you effectively get double the ammunition with a gun that has a laser sight, grenade launcher, and a silencer.

Also, as mentioned by others in different threads, it seems that the unmodified stock AK-47 is insanely accurate through this part and is a weapon you'll have plenty of ammo for since more than half of the terrorists have one. For some reason, I've checkpointed just before the missle silos with 5:47 left and a Dragunov, which is essentially useless indoors.

If you REALLY want the SOPMOD, restarting the level is always an option. You may even do it faster than previous attempts. :confused:

On Grenades:

I found two spots so far to replenish your grenades, if you're not at 4/4 for whatever reason. The first one of these is straight ahead at the bottom of the staircase. The second is off to the right before you get to the missle silos, near a large wooden crate.

On Difficulty:

My friend beat this on PC early this morning on Veteran (PC users can LEAN!), and said that the next two or three checkpoints after this are pretty straightforward and the silo room is definately the hardest.

LAGRIFFE2007
11-11-2007, 11:17 PM
i ll say one thing : CHEATING AI !!!!!!!!
no need to explain cheating AIs a part of most games now; did u guys noticed how those guys can see through the walls and supersense your pathway oh and i forgot the way i kill myself when i m about to snipe ones head theres a bullet coming from nowhere that disturbs my meditation in this precise case my sight but how i m supposed to do its like i shoot i die isnt this supposed to be i shoot they die?! as i said no need to explain cheating AIs are back for some more hysteria at home and poor guys getting their ass kicked by their girlfriends cause they just cry like babys when they die like 1000 times restarting the same checkpoint over and over ( im one those guys btw) beging god to stop this nonsense and to eradicate cheating AIs from earth surface
CHEATING AI VS HUMAN AI finish the fight!!!
thx to me and you and X360A

FlyingPee
11-12-2007, 12:25 AM
To get the guys at the end of the tunnels just start shooting before you strafe around the corner. Just put your aimer where the middle of the hallway would be, and also a bit lower since I think the guy is crouching and just spray bullets down there. Worked well for me.

kormac
11-12-2007, 12:57 AM
thanks for the replies blind rage, palegringo and flyingpee.

i will keep my progress and try again when i am refreshed. but i will also use my memory card to start the level from the start again and see how i go with the launcher.

THAT was the gun with the grenade launcher? lol. im horribly unobservant. i ditched that gun early because it was silenced so i assumed it was weaker than say, the AK's. (not to mention i never dreamed they would combine a silenced weapon with a grenade launcher lol)

what i'll try is the strafing out while shooting already, on my current progress. but if i constantly screw up where im aiming and therefore continue to die, i'll also try restarting to get my launcher gun again. god damn i am stupid!

i SHOULD fare better with the launcher since you guys and others have indicated it helps in the silos areas. makes sense as you can simply pop out for a brief second to shoot grenades instead of trying to snipe multiple insane AI shooters :P

anyway i'll let ya's know how i fare.

FlyingPee
11-12-2007, 01:29 AM
make sure you try the c4. I could also just shoot them, but the c4 is very fast and you don't have to reload your gun after killing those guys

killerharu45
11-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Also, if you have a sniper, it really helps. So then when you get to the pillar on either side, you can snipe the guys at the end of the hall. It definitely takes a lot of practice.

pongsifu
11-12-2007, 04:37 AM
Yes the grenade launcher really is that useful. Since the AI seems to know exactly where you are before you even come around the corner, you can shoot near where they are without actually seeing them to use the blast to kill them.

Aecas
11-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Aye, this is the exact same place that I'm stuck on. I can clear out the paralell tunnels easily enough, but its the git down the end of that first missile tunnel that keep sniping me to death every single time. I'll give these suggestions a go tonight and see if I can put two in his face.

roy1751
11-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Those guys in the long hallways are so cheap, an exposure worth a single pixel width of my screens resolution gets you a dead eye shot to the head. The times I get to them they are not holding a sniper rifle... WTF. If they're going to make the game so cheap then why not just put a turret there and be done with it. The AI doesn't seem to care about their own life, they just care about ending mine. And that of my controller. Worse still, the squad AI doesn't follow you into the silos to cover fire or at least serve as bullet fodder. Did they not see this as a problem in testing? Then they magically spawn in the center tunnel past the blockade when exiting the silos. This is just broken level design.

And it wouldn't be so bad if the clock wasn't ticking. The PC version has the same deadlines on veteran. And they have the ability to lean/peak behind corners. So IW expects people on console to fumble along with the analog sticks with fewer controls in the same time as keyboard/mouse strafe-point-and-headshot.

Sorry I had to vent there a bit, but I've beat every other mission on Vet except this one and the epilogue. These two just smack of too much of bullsh1t for me to bother.

The only way to win is not to play. :)

Riverpatrol
11-12-2007, 07:45 PM
The key (imho) to war room and third check point is make sure you have a Kalashnikov, did it second try with this weapon. The stopping power made all the difference!
In total I spent close to 3 hours trying this!

Aecas
11-12-2007, 09:03 PM
Finally cracked the buggers! Couple of M203 grenades down the hall and they were toast. Mopped up the rest and as has been said it was all downhill from there. Cleared it with 1:20 to spare on the clock.

Cheers peeps.

Ice Hunter
11-12-2007, 09:46 PM
The above way to do it worked great for me. only took 8 trys maybe, the grnade launcher also helps a lot. Just hide behind the missles and pop out and him um up. Also when the slow ass door gets open i stayed to the right and killed most of the guys coming from the back then flashed the guy in the right room ran in and just took my time with the last 2. But I thougth the guys in the truck at the very very end were harder it took me like 20 trys to get them becuase if u miss and have to reload your cooked. at least i was, now only need mile high club.

zI HURRIC4N3 Iz
11-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Very helpful tips everyone.

Chuppernicus
11-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Yes the grenade launcher works great you don't have to sight down and take time to aim, one shot one kill, just don't miss.
Good Times.

kormac
11-13-2007, 12:46 AM
awesome tips indeed!

i decided to take a break from that part and finish the final level "Game Over" on Veteran. died once in the truck chase, and a couple times getting off the broken bridge cause i didn't know which way to go, lol. i died a couple times in the final firefight but all in all, the final mission is easy compared to many other levels.

i went through the silos area on Hardened, and tried the grenade launcher... damn it's good! seriously, i've just restarted that level on Veteran and will go through with the grenade launcher rifle, and also carry an AK47 for stopping power.

a couple things about the SOPMOD rifle:

the grenade launcher will help anyone in the silos part with the silos and the long tunnels. 10 projectile grenades are enough to clear your way to the slow moving door. in fact save those 10 nades just for the hard part in the silos checkpoint. after you get a checkpoint at the slow opening doors, the hardness of the game goes back to "normal" levels for veteran mode.

basically what i will do when i reach that area again on Vet is:

2 launched grenades in the first silo room once you neutralise both enemies on left and right tunnels. then a 3rd nade at the guy around the corner.

2 launched grenades down the long tunnel by popping out for a split second and firing. aim roughly at the silo because the splash damange kills the guys taking cover at the door. that's half your launcher grenades used up now.

as you approach the end, launch a nade to the left and right side of the silo to kill anyone who is behind the silo itself. saves time and lessens the risks.

with the remaining 3 nades, launch them similarly to how you did it in the long tunnel. line yourself up as best you can, then strafe out for a split second and immediately shoot a nade. if it hits the silo, you will clear the instantly. i launched one more just to be safe.

if you have any hand grenades, flashbangs and launcher grenades left, use them up after the slow moving door. espcially in the control room. cause the ecape is quite easy in comparison, and the final mission you will be given different weapons anyway.

also the silenced shots of the rifle have another handy feature. especially when your in nightvision mode, the smoke is almost non-existant so you dont really get your vision blinded by the barrel fumes. plus there is way less recoil on this rifle. only thing is, the punch is weaker than a burst from a AK47. double check you nail the enemies dead, cause they can be a pain if they shoot from their wounded position when you least expect it.

also if you carry the grenade launcher rifle from the start, and swap out your pistol for an AK47, this will save your SOPMOD rifle, ammo wise, and also will simplfy things. you will never need a shotgun if you simply use the launcher in the silos area.

FM Snell
11-13-2007, 06:13 AM
I used the nade launcher for the two-tunnel crossfire, but that was it for that section. For the guys at the end of the long tunnel, I just quickly strafed a tiny bit in and out of cover really fast without stopping, and shooting bursts down the tunnel until he was dead.

kormac
11-19-2007, 03:56 AM
it's amazing how much the nade launcher helps. definately worth restarting the level for if you were like me and dropped it or used up all the ammo.

when i got to the silos and the two tunnels, it took me two attempts with the launcher. in comparison, i tried a million times to get to the end of those long tunnels using only bullets. of course to make it that easy i saved all 10 launcher nades just for those tunnels. i didn't want to leave anything to chance and since the rest of the level is dead easy once you get to the door i didn't mind blowing through my nade ammo in that one part.

after i got through the slow opening door, i managed to get to the control room without dying once. and only died once in the control room. after disabling the countdown timer with nearly 2 minutes to spare, i died only once in the truck depot. the second attempt in the truck depot i simply threw all my flashbangs and grenades randomly around from behind the boxes and my men mopped up the enemies without me having to fire a shot. definately dead easy once you get through the tunnels in the silos.

in fact with the grenade launcher i found the hardest part of the entire level was actually getting to the first checkpoint at the stairs! after that it actually got easier lol.

anyway, i forgot to say thanks to all who helped me with the tips, so cheers fellas! couldn't have done it without your tactics!

now for mile high club.... :P

RavenBlackthorn
11-19-2007, 03:41 PM
I think that it would help everybody if we all standardized on what these rooms are called. My suggestions?

Starting Point: Crew Quarters / Operations
First Checkpoint: Staircase / Storage / Crates
Second Checkpoint: Missle Silos
Third and Fourth Checkpoints: Blast Doors
Fifth Checkpoint: Wall Breach / Control Room

The "long tunnels" that people keep talking about makes me believe that it is an interior corridor between the four ICBMs that haven't launched yet. Yes, those "pole things?" Look up at them some time.

I think this is where he is talking about. The guys at the end of these hallways are dead accurate with their shots for some reasons. I had a really tough time here as well. My recommendation for this section is to clear right first. You know the guy is there, scope in and fire as you pop in and out (strafe left and right real quick, firing while doing so). If you hit him, you'll stun him and he won't shoot back. Once you clear right, turn around and clear left. Once left and right are clear, either side seems to be the same so pick which ever one works for you. I took the right side, once you clear the first silo, (two guys rush in) do the same peak and pop for the two guys down the hall. I think two more guys will rush the silo, and you'll have one more guy to peek and pop down the last hall.

Basically start shooting the knife-edge on the wall (the first round or two) and just pop in and pop out. You should hear him get hit and drop. Once he's down slowly move forward and rinse and repeat. Again--for whatever reason, these guys have incredible aim. IF they see you without you stunning them with a few rounds first, you will die almost every time.

gtcruiser33
11-19-2007, 09:07 PM
Ok where at the checkpoints supposed to be in this level. I have gotten to the slow moving door 4 or 5 times now, even made it to the launch room once, and I have never gotten a check point, So I have to restart before the silo hallways again, and that is a bitch. Are there no checkpoints after this or is the game F'ing me hard?

Edit:
Finally beat it, I used the AK and the rifle you start the level with. I just fraged the left tunnel, flashed the right and kill the first guy standing there, as long as you stay to the left side wall you wont be shot in the back if the frag down the left side didnt work. Then I just flash the long tunnel, use the AK and fire bursts down it, killing the two or 3 guys in it, then just creep down the tunnel and shot bursts with the AK, once again it didnt give me the checkpoint at the slow moving door with a little over 3 mins to go when I reached there, but I beat the level so it didnt matter. God it feels good to finally beat that damn level.

RavenBlackthorn
11-19-2007, 10:28 PM
Ok where at the checkpoints supposed to be in this level. I have gotten to the slow moving door 4 or 5 times now, even made it to the launch room once, and I have never gotten a check point, So I have to restart before the silo hallways again, and that is a bitch. Are there no checkpoints after this or is the game F'ing me hard?

Edit:
Finally beat it, I used the AK and the rifle you start the level with. I just fraged the left tunnel, flashed the right and kill the first guy standing there, as long as you stay to the left side wall you wont be shot in the back if the frag down the left side didnt work. Then I just flash the long tunnel, use the AK and fire bursts down it, killing the two or 3 guys in it, then just creep down the tunnel and shot bursts with the AK, once again it didnt give me the checkpoint at the slow moving door with a little over 3 mins to go when I reached there, but I beat the level so it didnt matter. God it feels good to finally beat that damn level.

Sometimes the checkpoints are hit or miss. I had the same issue and was hauling ass (beat the cutoffs by a minute). Couple times I made it way past the checkpoint and it didn't trigger. Odd.

Ze Alpaca
11-20-2007, 01:46 AM
omg i finally beat this part it took me like 3 hours for just this part

DFizzle64
11-22-2007, 03:53 AM
Got to this level today and I made to the stairs with 7 minutes and 30 seconds on the clock. When I go into the hallway and take a right into the box area, I keep getting my face blown off. Thanks for all the great tips in this thread, I will try to beat it tomorrow.

daninthemix
11-22-2007, 08:31 AM
This was one of the worst bits, because if you go left you get shot from behind and vice-versa.

I don't know how I did it last night, blind luck probably.