PDA

View Full Version : DLC Pricing and Schedules confirmed

Clipse 2
11-15-2007, 02:36 AM
Since Rock Band was first announced by Harmonix and MTV Games in March, the developers have made no secret of their ambitious plans for downloadable content. As the game's release has drawn closer, information about those plans has trickled out. At the E3 Media and Business Summit, Harmonix said it would be offering full downloadable albums from artists like The Who, with more tracks from Metallica, The Grateful Dead, and The Ramones among those that gamers could add on to the retail game.

With Rock Band set for release next Tuesday, Harmonix today finally took the wraps off its downloadable content model today. The studio has apparently heard complaints regarding the mandatory three-song bundles and $6.25 price point adopted by the Guitar Hero franchise's downloadable content, and is giving gamers a bit of a break.

Rock Band will still feature pre-selected three-song packs for download, but they will instead cost $5.49 (440 Microsoft points on Xbox 360). Songs will also be available individually for $1.99. Harmonix has said future songs will be sold individually for as little as $.99 (80 Microsoft points), and as much as $2.99 (240 points). However, "the vast majority" will come in at the standard $1.99 price point. The developer did not say how much full-album downloads would be, or when the first albums would be released.

Harmonix also detailed its release schedule for the first five weeks after Rock Band launches. The opening week will be highlighted by track packs from Metallica, The Police, and Queens of the Stone Age, with individual songs from Creedence Clearwater Revival, Foreigner, T-Rex, and more. Downloaded tracks will be integrated into all of the game's modes, and will be playable online only if all players have purchased the songs.

Week of November 20, 2007: (*--asterisk denotes a cover version)
Metallica Pack
"Ride the Lightning"--Metallica
"Blackened"--Metallica
"And Justice for All"--Metallica

The Police Pack
"Can't Stand Losing You"--The Police
"Synchronicity II"--The Police
"Roxanne"--The Police

Queens of the Stone Age Pack
"3's and 7's"--Queens of the Stone Age
"Little Sister"--Queens of the Stone Age
"Sick Sick Sick"--Queens of the Stone Age

Individual Tracks
"Fortunate Son" as made famous by Creedence Clearwater Revival *
"Juke Box Hero" as made famous by Foreigner *
"Bang a Gong (Get It On)" as made famous by T-Rex *
"My Sharona" as made famous by The Knack *
"Cherry Bomb" as made famous by The Runaways *
"Joker & The Thief"--Wolfmother

Week of November 27, 2007
David Bowie Pack
"Moonage Daydream"--David Bowie
"Heroes" as made famous by David Bowie *
"Queen Bitch" as made famous by David Bowie *

Week of December 4, 2007
Black Sabbath Pack
"N.I.B." as made famous by Black Sabbath *
"Sweet Leaf" as made famous by Black Sabbath *
"War Pigs" as made famous by Black Sabbath *

Week of December 11, 2007
Punk Pack:
"Rockaway Beach"--Ramones
"I Fought the Law"--The Clash
"Ever Fallen In Love" as made famous by Buzzcocks *

Week of December 18, 2007
Individual Tracks
"My Iron Lung"--Radiohead
"Buddy Holly"--Weezer
"Brass in Pocket" as made famous by Pretenders *

Source: GameSpot (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6182927.html?part=rss&tag=gs_all_games&subj=6182927)

11-15-2007, 02:56 AM
You know, I really don't think I'm going to mind buying these instead of arcade games. Picks:

The Police Pack

Fortunate Son

My Iron Lung (depending on how Creep plays)

Buddy Holly

Icelightin
11-15-2007, 03:35 AM
wow this is gonna be so great

blackhandgang
11-15-2007, 04:17 AM
This is awesome! This is just what I wished Guitar Hero did with their songs.

CAMOUFLAGEiPOD
11-15-2007, 05:22 AM
Looking pretty tough at the Metallica, Black Sabbath packs. Buddy Holly. And a must buy, My Sharona by the Knack sung in a death metal voice. yea, good times.

antnie
11-15-2007, 05:44 AM
I heard that harmonix wants to have over 1000 songs to be able to download buy the end of next year. That would be crazy, it would be like it own console.

TnT420
11-15-2007, 06:58 AM
I so cant wait for the punk pack and the individual songs. I was hoping it be cheaper then GH..but this is fine.

Banana 80
11-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Why couldn't they package these songs with the game?
Oh wait then they couldn't steal our money with there DLC!

Ceryino63
11-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Metallica song pack is the first one to be released? I can not wait for this game.

The reasoning behind them releasing songs via the DLC, if they included every song that they wanted to put in the game at the time of the release..do you really think that the game would ever come out?
Is it another way for a company to take our money? Sure, but its also a good way for them to continue putting out the games that we enjoy playing. If you dont want to pay for the songs there is a simple answer to that...Don't buy 'em. But there are those of us who are more than willing to pay $5 a week or every other week depending on how much you like the song pack for that week, because we enjoy the music that they are putting out for it.

Glyndinn
11-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Pretty nice, I hope Guitar Hero takes the hint and pumps out more DLC....and matches their pricing.

TwistedFate
11-15-2007, 04:14 PM
If this is the kind of DLC we can expect, then all I want for Christmas is points cards. Holy crap that's some good stuff.

shiningcheese
11-15-2007, 06:40 PM
Damn, I really didn't think I would want Rock Band after playing the much hyped drums (which weren't as cool as they were made out to be). But after seeing that they are actually following through on their DLC promise makes me want to buy it, at least for the guitar playing. Knowing that I will have fresh content each week is awesome (but hurts the ol' wallet). Not to mention that the price set up is much better. You could buy them as single songs or in packs. Both ways are cheaper than GH2, gh3. This could be the turning point in the war between GH and RB. I doubt one or the other will fail per se, but the longevity of RB is much more than GH could be. They even admitted to having a GH4 in production. Harmonix is making these songs as DLC in a very strategic and smart manner. They will lose money from the peripherals (especially the first packs that include all instruments) but will gain money in the long run by making this DLC weekly. Instead of making sequel after sequel every year with some songs we love and some songs we hate, this way we can pick and choose. Not to mention the fact that any flaws with timing or in the game itself can be fixed through auto updates. Congrats Harmonix for making a believer out of me and I'm sure for a lot more people.

eGEORGE
11-15-2007, 07:54 PM
this is exciting, too bad my 360 has the red ring....
I'm hoping to see a rush pack in the future

MinPinz
11-15-2007, 08:57 PM
This is so sweet. I can't wait for CCR and Foreigner, and my hubby is psyched about the Metallica. The Clash will be fun too...it's great that they actually noticed how much ppl bitched about the pricing on GH, and undercut them. Tuesday will be awesome!

DFILL450
11-15-2007, 09:10 PM
I was hoping that the DLC would be cheaper. I mean 60 points isn't much cheaper for 3 songs. I still say that its a rip off. I was also hoping that the individual songs would just be $1. Not $1-3.

Im definitely still buying the DLC though. I just wish it was cheaper.

TwistedFate
11-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Damn, I really didn't think I would want Rock Band after playing the much hyped drums (which weren't as cool as they were made out to be).

I really enjoyed the drums. I get to hit things with sticks and they call it a game. :woop:

I was hoping that the DLC would be cheaper. I mean 60 points isn't much cheaper for 3 songs. I still say that its a rip off. I was also hoping that the individual songs would just be $1. Not $1-3.

Im definitely still buying the DLC though. I just wish it was cheaper.

4 parts, 4 difficulties = 16 note charts. There is a lot more work (4x the actual note charts per track) involved in these tracks than GH tracks. They don't just run mp3's through a filter and the note charts pop out the other end. Somebody has to sit there and create all 16 note charts. 440 points is reasonable for a 3 pack, IMHO.

Derrick DS
11-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Hopefully this will drive down the GHIII song packs. While I'm glad that they are releasing all these songs, I can't help but be disappointed that if they have this many songs ready & dated, why couldn't they just add more songs to the 55 included in the game? I knew they wanted to nickel & dime us to death w/ downloadable content, but c'mon, give us more for the money we invest in this.

TwistedFate
11-15-2007, 09:23 PM
I can't help but be disappointed that if they have this many songs ready & dated, why couldn't they just add more songs to the 55 included in the game?

Nobody says the songs are finished yet. The first weeks worth probably are, but that isn't to say they were ready before RB went gold.

Derrick DS
11-15-2007, 09:37 PM
I don't know... all the DLC frustrates me. When GH first came out on PS2, there was no DLC and I was fine with that. By the time GHII came out for the 360, I downloaded the content b/c I had grown bored with it after playing the game for months.

With the release of Rock Band, there will be DLC on day one, which I think is ridiculous. Sure, GHIII had some too, but that's besides the point. Let people enjoy the game a little bit before you start emptying their wallets even more.

Something tells me that I'm going to start disliking the music genre games soon at this rate.

TwistedFate
11-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Well knowing EA, you will have every right to complain if the first weeks DLC is just unlock keys.

I understand what you are saying, but the good thing is people have a choice. Just because it's out day 1 doesn't mean you have to buy it day 1, or at all. You can wait weeks before you download anything, if you ever download anything.

I think a lot of people just get caught up in the frenzy of not only "I've got to have it now!" but "I've got to have it!" and forget that it isn't going away anytime soon.

filmeister33
11-19-2007, 01:16 AM
how much is that grateful dead pack gonna be