PDA

View Full Version : What can we do to make the Site beter?

k_dog
05-29-2006, 10:15 PM
Ok, after talking with Routine and Minty. We have come up with a series of Ideas that we think would make our Entire Site beter as a whole. Because of this, we would like to get your feedback and what you think on some of these ideas.

1. Review section. We feel that we may not be able to be up to standard with IGN but we can provide unbiased reviews that will be helpful to our members and provide some extra insight. Routine and Minty both have read my prior reviews and have felt that they are unbiased and up to par with others so I will be writing the reviews. Now don't let this stop you from getting involved and writing one of your own, GI and others have second opinion reviews. We encourage your opinions as long as they are unbiased and provide insightful information.

2. Walkthrough Section. Similar to the "Achievment Guides," any submission will be accepted, looked over, and possibly posted. We think that having this different aspect of the game will help others in their progression of each title. This will help our growth as a site and community.

3. Filters and Requirement of the Forum Leaderboards. A topic that has been discussed many times over. Too many people with 5 or less posts are on our leaderboards and there have been debates as to if we should let those people on the boards or not. We have come to the conclusion that there should be standards. We are currently unsure what they are but one for sure will be regarding anybody using false actions in their aquisition of Gamerscore. No, game saves isn't cheating, BUT it is definatly frowned upon.

4. Buy/Sell/Trade Forum. Some people want to do this but are affraid. We could try this but it will be heavily Moderated and will have a strict set of rules including and not up to "http://www.x360a.org will NOT be held responsible for any members' negligance in a suggested form"

5. Links to Home page and Vice Versa. We have many ways we want to make site navigation beter and one way is by Linking our news to specific threads for discussion on the Forums and Vice Versa ie. "Discuss this Topic on The Forum" This will beter keep our members up to date with news on the site and in the XBox world as alot of our members go directly to the Forum.

6. Organized Tournaments. Our Tournament section has never been a big hit as nobody has followed through with any of the suggested game tournaments. We want to make this beter. And to do so, we do 1 tournament at a time. We will suggest a tournament that would attract players and Post a SOLID date around 2 weeks in advance. We then post a sign up and you will be notified 2 days in advance via PM reminding you of your entry in the tournament. If you dont show, you forfiet. Winners will be awarded with a special "Awards Picture" associated with the tournament they won.

Once again, all feedback is considered and appriciated. Thanks. :)

-Brian

Maka
05-29-2006, 10:43 PM
I really like 1-3 and especailly 3. Personally I don't find 4 necessary. I also like 5 and 6. I would really like to have organized tournaments within the site since none of the other tourneys actually got off the ground. 3 is very needed. ;)

EDIT: Also a video section would be good. It was suppose to be added but hasn't been (unless I'm over looking something)

TimidKillah
05-29-2006, 10:49 PM
While I agree that there should be some standards for the leaderboards, the function of the leaderboards must be fixed first! I know that my listing doesn't update correctly .... if at all. As of this posting, my score is still outdated :(

Edit: was thinking... if you're planning on using the post count as a standard for getting on the leaderboards, would be nice if you could filter out ... say.... the BS posts from the legit posts. Would be difficult though, I would imagine.

Double Edit: Hilarious.... It just updated!!!

Maka
05-29-2006, 10:53 PM
My gamerscore is beginning to update regularily

Styze
05-29-2006, 11:21 PM
Why not have a "award" for signing up new members to the site? Have a "who referred you to the site" in the sign up area. Just an idea.

k_dog
05-29-2006, 11:22 PM
Spoke with Routine and he has to do a manual update. So that's why it updated. He's working on it.

TimidKillah
05-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Why not have a "award" for signing up new members to the site? Have a "who referred you to the site" in the sign up area. Just an idea.

Might be cool, but they should have stay and contribute for it to be worth anything. According to the stats on the home page, there are over 1200 members with less than half active:(

KilluhKam
05-29-2006, 11:30 PM
i think all of those ideas would help the site for the better as well...good job on comming up with it all i hope it all gets put into plans for the site

k_dog
05-29-2006, 11:33 PM
The referal idea wouldn't be too bad, I have 5 so that would give me one.

Styze
05-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Might be cool, but they should have stay and contribute for it to be worth anything. According to the stats on the home page, there are over 1200 members with less than half active:(

Yes...definitley would have to be an active member of the community.

Maka
05-30-2006, 01:30 AM
I was sitting playng around in my dashbaord when i got a great idea... It would take constant updating and a while to get it started but how about a section that shows everything available on the marketplace, with the cost and size..... i think that'd be pretty cool.

k_dog
05-30-2006, 01:36 AM
This was also an Idea I had. It's not too bad. a360p has this as well.

Maka
05-30-2006, 01:37 AM
ooo, i didnt know that.... o well

k_dog
05-30-2006, 05:52 AM
That doesnt mean that we can't do it. We still could...

TechIsCool
05-30-2006, 01:49 PM
another thing that has been long in its coming is the update to the site
i would be nice but you know it all takes time do we have a q4 relase on this?:confused:

and yes on all what you said in the first post

Minty
05-30-2006, 02:15 PM
all good aparty from the referrals. sure theyll be implemented soon :p

Zee
05-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Maybe something to do with the market place?
A list of the cost of arcade games, themes, and gamer pictures you can buy.
Pictures of the themes and gamer pictures because not all of them show what your buying. ect..
Edit: oops didn't read that one post...But he didn't say anything about posting pictures up from them.

Helacool360
05-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Maybe something to do with the market place?
A list of the cost of arcade games themes, and gamer pictures you can buy.
Pictures of the themes and gamer pictures because not all of them show what your buying. ect..

Yea the pictures of themes and stuff that don't show, would make it nice before you spend points on it. I like all the ideas posted also even though I won't be using the buy/sell/trade forum;)

Crash
05-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Yes, all are very good ideas. I like the idea of adding info/pics of gamerpics and themes from the marketplace. There are quite a few that are not shown on xbox.com.

k_dog
05-30-2006, 08:57 PM
That's all good information and ideas but I guess the next question is how would we aquire those pics? And also, who would want to spend the money on it?

Minty
05-30-2006, 09:03 PM
im guessing between us we have a lot of them. and we have a bg PayPal button at the top ;)

k_dog
05-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Ok then, there's another idea to add to the list.

TechIsCool
05-30-2006, 10:53 PM
it would cost around 900$ to buy all the content

Minty
05-30-2006, 10:56 PM
but a lot of people will have it. like i have all the tiger stuff, so thats one game done. there will be others that have other games etc etc

TechIsCool
05-30-2006, 11:20 PM
ok i see as a whole we could make this work

DaKing240
05-31-2006, 04:38 PM
Idea - Good/Bad - My Opinion

Marketplace idea - Good - An easy way to acquire all the stuff is to put up the webpage, and have the folders that are accessible on the xbox - like the different categories. Then, we can work on completing them by searching memebers on Xbox.com, and etc. Otherwise it will take too long for 1 person to complete.

I have all the NBA and NFL pics I think...

Referral Idea - Good - We should have awards for 1, 5, 20, and like 50+. Also, maybe a reminder on the homepage for people to type in who referred them, etc. I know I have referred many people since I haev a direct link on the xbox.com forums.

Tournaments - Good - I will work on setting up brackets and good times. I will start a sample today or tomorrow after speaking to some people...

g4m3r7ag
05-31-2006, 04:45 PM
the marketplace idea sounds good, and daking, you have 0 referalls

Minty
05-31-2006, 04:49 PM
the referral thing is not a good idea.

you will have people setting up multiple accounts to get recognition for it.
we have a great number of people on the site- the key is to get them to post.

this is weher sending mails out to all members etc comes in. Its not about getting new memebrs, its baout encouraging them to vist regularly, which is why the site needs updates and new scetions etc. EXPANSION!!

its simple business studies and churn effect. which i get paid to understand :p

DaKing240
05-31-2006, 04:53 PM
the marketplace idea sounds good, and daking, you have 0 referalls

Yes, I know. According to what people type in, I have 0. However, I know that people have been referred by me, and just have not wrote it on the site. Do we have a referral link that we can use?
Like x360a.org/forum/DaKing240?

Maka
06-03-2006, 12:55 PM
I thought of a rule for the leaderboards.. how about you must need at least one post for every thousand gamerscore you have so if you have 6,700GS you need at least 7 LEGIT posts. That way if someone comes and has 30,000 they'll only be added if they join the site as a "real" member

HIGHLANDER7
06-06-2006, 07:18 PM
How about adding some more specific off-topic sections like cars, movies, sports, books etc. It might not be necessary but some people are complaining about the forums becoming cluttered because of stuff like that. Just an idea.:D

Helacool360
06-06-2006, 07:28 PM
How about adding some more specific off-topic sections like cars, movies, sports, books etc. It might not be necessary but some people are complaining about the forums becoming cluttered because of stuff like that. Just an idea.:D

I agree with this idea:)

Krazie
06-06-2006, 08:36 PM

I agree too, i said this like a month and a half ago and Routine said he'd do it

Think it should be done :D

Krazie
06-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Added on:

This should be a complete website, sure its a Xbox 360 and video game forum most importantly, but in order for us to grow as a community, theres people here that would like to converse about other topics!

In the areas of sports and movies, along with everything else i try to do for the site, im very up to date on those topics every single day, and ill bring a lot to the table on those topics, all the new trailers, any sports events, blah blah blah..

Webb
06-06-2006, 08:53 PM
I agree with this. Community as a whole, not just for achievements :) I would hazard a guess at Routine doing more now his final assignment of the summer has recently been handed in! Yay to summer :D

Just a thought, does it need seperate things or can we just put it in off topic?

Minty
06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
If Off Topic gets sub boards, its easier for those that want to ignore it to do that, rather than clogging up a shit load of the site

snafegeeza
06-06-2006, 09:11 PM
I think the idea about each game forum being split into two sections would be good, one for people looking to meet up for achievements and the other for how to get achievements. This would stop forums getting messed up I would think.

I think the walkthrough section is an ace idea, I have thought a few times about writing up some walkthroughs for various games but I thought this would be frowned upon because its not an achievement guide. I could get started on a walkthrough with all the rewards for Tomb Raider if its not already being done and if its ok with you guys. I just want to contribute a little.

The referals idea I dont think would work and would encourage people to register friends that arnt interested in posting.

I would also advise against the buying and selling forum, rip offs are likely and if someone doesnt want to pay up for somthing he has recieved, he will never use the site again and its likely that the person who has been ripped off will never post again. It may just muddy this awsome communitys name a little.

These are only my opinions and im sure what ever updates to the forum are made, they will be good and improve the site. :D

thieflordgamer
06-06-2006, 09:13 PM
i said this before, and no one really said anything: what if we have awards for contributions. we could have separate ones for like reviews, achievements guides, and achievements themselves, or maybe even to the section with picture packs and stuff, if that ever happens.

and i don't think the referral idea would work, personally.

i think that, before anything, we should get the guides and reviews sections up and running.

Sarge McLarge
06-06-2006, 10:14 PM
i think that, before anything, we should get the guides and reviews sections up and running.

Agreed, quality over quantity.

RoutineX
06-06-2006, 10:57 PM
I'll go ahead making the different awards. If anyone have any pics/idea of pics, lemme know.

How about using the "secret achievement" picture for people submitting achievement pictures/lists, or is it a little boring?
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/RoutineX/xbimages/unknown.jpg

Since a lot of people want it, we can add sub forums to off topic.
Topics? Cars, Sports, Movies?

Webb
06-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Can't we get a little picture of the actual achievement icon for people that have submitted achievements, that would look pretty neat :D

Sarge McLarge
06-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Since a lot of people want it, we can add sub forums to off topic.
Topics? Cars, Sports, Movies?

I think a lot of people would like a music forum.

Maka
06-06-2006, 11:13 PM
Computer games section>? We have Sony, Nintendo..etc. but no PC

xfrancox
06-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Music, Movies, TV

Maka
06-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Maybe like a closed folder where all the all the old threads go.. that way nobody will "lose" posts and etc.....

Maka
06-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Can't we get a little picture of the actual achievement icon for people that have submitted achievements, that would look pretty neat :D

That would be pretty cool, if people got the game pic of the game info they submitted.....

Robbie S
06-06-2006, 11:47 PM
maybe a wider veriaty of post ranks?

instead of just senior and jonior member

Webb
06-07-2006, 12:00 AM
Totally agree on the post ranks :D Although they aren't the post ranks. They are below! :p

Can't find the picture anywhere for the "achievement unlocked" symbol, oh dear, suppose it is 1 am! Ha ha.

thieflordgamer
06-07-2006, 02:34 AM
well, normally when someone submits an achievement, they submit like a whole list, so i don't think the individual achievement pic for an award would work, unless we took the award showcase thing out of every post.

Webb
06-07-2006, 06:38 AM
The symbol would only be a picture to signify that this user has this award.

You could then colour code them, maybe gold, silver and bronze and award them accordingly ;)

Mr Arrow
06-07-2006, 01:26 PM
How about a spell checker on the posting page?

Sarge McLarge
06-07-2006, 03:53 PM
How about a way to limit signature size, and a spell check would be nice.

Webb
06-07-2006, 05:29 PM
If we're putting a spell check on, then we need a "sentence creater (with full integrated tools to put in capital letters and punctuation)"

LMFAO!!!!

Funny, but true ;)

k_dog
06-07-2006, 05:40 PM
I think that some members that have been around for a while should have the option of a custom title given to them by the board.

Minty
06-07-2006, 05:43 PM
that can be a pain as you have to set each one up as an individual state.

plus then you have the who has the right arguement. Which is going to come down to post count and spamming at some point lol.

Psycence
06-07-2006, 05:44 PM
I think that some members that have been around for a while should have the option of a custom title given to them by the board.

Thats an idea Ive been thinking of as well, as in my clan on Kingdom of loathing, titles are given out based on how active a member is, usually related to their name online or to a particular personality trait.

switch to custom at either senior member or experienced member level, with a title chosen amongst the board?

k_dog
06-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Yeah, this is what I was thinking, but mind you, only a select few are able per time.

thieflordgamer
06-07-2006, 06:16 PM
i think that we should have a poll or something like that on it, or at least a separate, noncluttered thread with all of these ideas, and we can vote on or say which ones we like. i think if just the mods and admin discuss it, people feel left out.

and i like the titles idea.

Maka
06-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Updating the site a litle... fo example i found this:

American Wasteland (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=126) (2 Viewing)
Discussion on the new Tony Hawk skateboarding game.

It's not exactly new anymore....

Webb
06-08-2006, 11:12 PM
New Idea - I've been thinking that every game thread should have a few stickied threads as standard that would stop alot of clutter and duplicated threads.

First up is....

--> An achievement swapping thread, where people leave their names and what achievements they want to swap and then people can sort out meeting up on that thread. This would stop people creating new threads like "Anyone wanna do the GOAT achievement" or "Who wants to do blah blah".

I have a few other ideas that I will put down over the next few days.

Feedback appreciated people ;)

Waaaaaaaak
06-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Sounds like a plan!

You're right, the games sections are cluttered with people wanting to swap achievements.

Webb
06-08-2006, 11:20 PM
I'll get on to this one next week. Then every new thread on this topic that is made will get deleted, no questions asked ;)

thieflordgamer
06-08-2006, 11:22 PM
i think we should have a team of about 3-5 people who keep the site's basic aspects updated. examples are the arcade games, when new games are coming out, the categories for the arcade games, updating the forums descriptions, as well as a few other things i could probably find.

also, whoever found the pictures for the arcade games on the main page, that would be cool if you could tell us where you found them or find the missing ones.

in the achievement lists for games, we also need to fill in the information for the publisher, multiplayer, etc. while i'm mentioning that, does anyone else think that the bright green color on the achievement lists is a little obnoxious and doesn't fit in with the rest of the colors on the page? that's just my opinion.

any feedback on this would be great.

Helacool360
06-18-2006, 03:37 AM
Good idea or bad idea: What if we did something like xbox.com forums and put a thread in every GAME thread titled "The 1000 Club" and everyone with a 1000 would post in it and then the mod can delete the post and add name to list on 1st post. So in the end the thread will only have 1 post with a long list of people ON THE SITE that have 1000 in the specific game.

Ki23lla
06-18-2006, 03:40 AM
Good idea or bad idea: What if we did something like xbox.com forums and put a thread in every GAME thread titled "The 1000 Club" and everyone with a 1000 would post in it and then the mod can delete the post and add name to list on 1st post. So in the end the thread will only have 1 post with a long list of people ON THE SITE that have 1000 in the specific game.

yea that would be cool and the people who got 1000 first will be at the top

xfrancox
06-18-2006, 03:40 AM
Sounds cool to me. 1000 club that is.

Minty
06-18-2006, 08:55 AM
yeah thats quite a cool idea.

Thieflord- we do have a team of people that re going to be doing that, hence the Moderators ;)

Helacool360
07-09-2006, 06:53 AM

Mods, do you want me to do this in every game thread or let you do it. I didn't want to make all the new threads then one of you say "STOP FLOODING THE FORUM" or something:p

Webb
07-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Mods, do you want me to do this in every game thread or let you do it. I didn't want to make all the new threads then one of you say "STOP FLOODING THE FORUM" or something:p

Sounds good to me Hela :D

You create them, and i'll go round and sticky them later ;) Cheers, I would do it myself, but the leaderboard needs to be sorted, thats my job later.

Sarge McLarge
07-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Are you guys going to allow gamesave users to be added to the "1000 Lists"?