PDA

View Full Version : People who rent games "just for"achivements...are not that great.

Savage 360
05-30-2006, 02:58 AM
Sorry but if you're renting a game JUST FOR achivements then you must really be well I don't want to say it in a mean way, but let's say not so skillful or just um cheap. Example Jack rented Fight Night Round 3 to get the easy 1000 achivement. A day later or so he gets all the 1000 and he meets a guy on PDZ or PGR 3 or any other game or his friend on his friend list who says hey I see you got FNR 3 let's play online I'll beat the crap outta your boxer! Jack says: Sorry I only rented the game to get the achivement points and the game sucks anyway. = Makes you look like an idiot and you lose respect. No I understand some people actually do rent games to test them out and see if they're worth a buy or not. For me tho I always or most of the time rented Xbox games to see if buy or not, but for 360 I will NEVER EVER rent a game. I am only buying Good games, with Easy/Medium/Hard and fun achivements. Thanks to the marketplace demos I was able to check out Lost Planet which is an amazing must buy game. All games that you see on my gamertag are all bought and will NEVER be traded. No please don't flame me if this offends anyone who rents games, its just my point of view on people who rent them JUST FOR achivements. If your testing the game out then its understandable, but there is always a Marketplace :) What are you thoughts on renting games just for achivements??

BTW Whoever made this great site, should earn alot of credit good job guys/gals :)

Sarge McLarge
05-30-2006, 03:11 AM
My opinion is that there is nothing wrong with renting games for achievements and it does not make you "not so skillful or just um cheap". This should be an interesting thread though :D.

The Perfect Gun
05-30-2006, 03:25 AM
I don't think they rent them JUST for achievements. They have fun with it. They would not buy a 360 just to get achievements.

Helacool360
05-30-2006, 03:46 AM
My opinion is that there is nothing wrong with renting games for achievements and it does not make you "not so skillful or just um cheap". This should be an interesting thread though :D.

There is nothing wrong with it;)

Savage 360
05-30-2006, 03:50 AM
Hm...I know some people just rent "sport" games for achivements which are damn easy and I find that cheap but that's just me.

Helacool360
05-30-2006, 03:52 AM
Hm...I know some people just rent "sport" games for achivements which are damn easy and I find that cheap but that's just me.

Why buy them??????

BlitZx HyPnOsIs
05-30-2006, 04:00 AM
i have bought all of my sports games bcuz i love sports not just 4 achievements. I rent games if they're a quick 100 points bcuz i dont want to waste my money on them but i also want to experience the every game in it's entirety ex. Tomb Raider, i absolutely hated the demo on the marketplaace, but when i rented it and played the whole game i loved it.

Helacool360
05-30-2006, 04:05 AM
i have bought all of my sports games bcuz i love sports not just 4 achievements. I rent games if they're a quick 100 points bcuz i dont want to waste my money on them but i also want to experience the every game in it's entirety ex. Tomb Raider, i absolutely hated the demo on the marketplaace, but when i rented it and played the whole game i loved it.

Good point, but if someone wants the points and thats it why should they buy the game when they can rent. It's not my fault you can get 1000 points in sports game in under an hour.

Savage 360
05-30-2006, 05:59 AM
Good point, but if someone wants the points and thats it why should they buy the game when they can rent. It's not my fault you can get 1000 points in sports game in under an hour.

No one said it's "your fault" that you're able to get 1000 in under an hour...Its your fault that you rent them "JUST" to get achivements. Why buy them? Well here are few reasons. 1. If you like sports game, 2. Play to have fun, 3. Easy Achivements, 4. Collect it and add it your gorgeous 360 library.

P1NSEEKER
05-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Not everyone can afford to pay £50 for every game they wanna play. For example i bought the last 3 madden games and after a month or so they got left on a shelf till the next one came out now why the hell would i want to pay £50 for that same situation when i can pay £10 for a months play and then rent another game that i dont want to spend those kind of amounts on? And if i were to rent a game yes i would try to get as many achievements as i could because then i would feel i have fully experienced the game. And how is it "less skillful" to rent games if i get the same achievements as someone who has the game then im just as skillfull as they are.

KilluhKam
05-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Not everyone can afford to pay £50 for every game they wanna play. For example i bought the last 3 madden games and after a month or so they got left on a shelf till the next one came out now why the hell would i want to pay £50 for that same situation when i can pay £10 for a months play and then rent another game that i dont want to spend those kind of amounts on? And if i were to rent a game yes i would try to get as many achievements as i could because then i would feel i have fully experienced the game. And how is it "less skillful" to rent games if i get the same achievements as someone who has the game then im just as skillfull as they are.

im with ya 100% on that man it dosnt make you less skillfull if you dont have enough money to buy every game you want if you can only rent it and you get as many achievements (or more) as someone whos boughten it then thats a good thing not a bad thing no one thinks less of you for doing that unless theyre rich snobs

Minty
05-30-2006, 08:51 AM
I don't think they rent them JUST for achievements. They have fun with it. They would not buy a 360 just to get achievements.

then why is there a conversation about making a Kenex device to aututap the A button so you dont need to actually play Table Teniis for a measly 10 hours??

thats purely getting the game for achievement points

The Perfect Gun
05-30-2006, 11:17 AM
then why is there a conversation about making a Kenex device to aututap the A button so you dont need to actually play Table Teniis for a measly 10 hours??

thats purely getting the game for achievement points

that is 1 game out of a lot. I didn't buy my 360 just to get gamerpoints, the only people who bought the 360 (mostly) are gamers. Some randon kid didn't buy it because he wanted gamerpoints.

xI Shorty Ix
05-30-2006, 12:47 PM
yeha but u dont really wanna pay for games that u can comple thats easy coz once ppl get the achievements they dont usualy play it any longer i only ever played my fight night twice because i got all the achievemtns in the first day

Savage 360
05-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Well the reason I was refering to the phrase "Less skills" is cause most of 360 Sports Games Achivements are just mad....ridiciliously easy that's all I meant. You would not be renting a game like DOA4, or PDZ to get achivements cause they're more "hardcore" and pretty time consuming. This is what I thought about people renting games tho, if they rented the game....and they liked it...why don't they just go buy it so they can keep it? When I had xbox I rented about more than 15+ games and some of em I end up buying, to this day I own over 35+ Games for Xbox, 17+ PS2 games, 15+ GC Games, and 50+ PC Games and 13 XBox 360 games and I about to own 14 cause I am getting my Hitman:Blood Money today or tommorow also I can't wait for my PS3 and WII to arrive this November :) I am a hardcore gamer and I NEVER EVER leave a game without 100% Completetion, and I buy them cause I know if I will rent them I will never get the full achivements and will not be able to keep the game and enjoy it.

KePP
05-30-2006, 02:51 PM
I find it funny that you equate a gamer score with skill. If your brain was an engine I would start by troubleshooting the logic intake.

k_dog
05-30-2006, 03:12 PM
I find it funny that you equate a gamer score with skill. If your brain was an engine I would start by troubleshooting the logic intake.

Very well said, and welcome!

On Topic:

It's probably not good that you chose to make your first few posts about judging somones gaming ability based on their gamerscore.

Halo 2 taught us to not judge skill by their level, why should we do so now?

I only rented RR6 but I'm willing to bet I'm beter than you at it.

While there may be some lack of effort, there IS a certain amount of skill involved in getting the points for some games, after all, you ARE having more problems than I did with World Xplorer and I only have had it 1 week.

I'm suprised you havent caught a good flaming yet. But don't get bent out of shape when you find that people don't agree with your views. You expressed yours, now let them express theirs.

-Brian

Krazie
05-30-2006, 04:04 PM
This kid comes to an ACHIMEVEMENT website and flames us for enjoying achievements?

I own about 12 360 games presently, I buy the games I enjoy, can play online from time to time, or will take awhile to complete. However, I also belong to Gamefly, i get 4 games out at a time so i always have all the new titles here, and i also get the games that can be completed in a short amount of time that I will never want to play again (IE. Shitty ports of NBA Live and Madden 06). I love sports games, I buy the sports games that I will want to play again, but if a game is as bad as these 2, i refuse to pay $60 for them, i'll rent them, get the achievements, play a little bit, then send them back..

With Gamefly, i get to play any 4 games i want at a time for the course of 2 months for the price of purchasing one, and to be honest, I'd rather do that for all the different bonuses..

Savage 360
05-30-2006, 04:17 PM
This kid comes to an ACHIMEVEMENT website and flames us for enjoying achievements?

I own about 12 360 games presently, I buy the games I enjoy, can play online from time to time, or will take awhile to complete. However, I also belong to Gamefly, i get 4 games out at a time so i always have all the new titles here, and i also get the games that can be completed in a short amount of time that I will never want to play again (IE. Shitty ports of NBA Live and Madden 06). I love sports games, I buy the sports games that I will want to play again, but if a game is as bad as these 2, i refuse to pay $60 for them, i'll rent them, get the achievements, play a little bit, then send them back..

With Gamefly, i get to play any 4 games i want at a time for the course of 2 months for the price of purchasing one, and to be honest, I'd rather do that for all the different bonuses..
I am NOT flaming anyone for achivements...I am just talkin about people who rent games for achivements....its called an Opionon son. I love achivements myself but I just find it cheap if people rent games "just" for achivements...and I am not saying that anyone sucks or lacks skill.

g4m3r7ag
05-30-2006, 04:32 PM
i rented fight night initially for the achievements, after i played it, i decided that i liked the game, but did not go buy it, because i didnt have $60 to waste. and if i would have i probably would have waited until a game came out that i knew i wanted, a game that i actually had something to strive for while playing it

Psycence
05-30-2006, 04:46 PM
I bought fight night up on the cheap, enjoyied it alot but theres no replay value to it really, I can well imagine why people would rather just rent it

Crash
05-30-2006, 05:41 PM
I rent games just because I like to try them all out. If I'm going to play it, then I might as well get the achievements while I am at it. I don't see how gamerscore shows your skills. You can be an awesome player, but have a low score due to lack of games/time/money. At the same time you can be bad and have a high score because you have lots of time/games/money. and then there are people who deserve their low/high scores due to skill or lack thereof.
Renting just for score doesn't mean you have no skills, it just means that you want to get the most out of a system you payed $300-400 for.

freekwonder
05-30-2006, 06:22 PM
sure i can afford to buy a game at $60 when ever I wanted to, but if I did that then I would be able to afford to buy anything else. I'll rent a game not JUST for the points but to see if I like it. If don't like the game, damn right I'm going to get all the points I can out of it before I send it back, it would be stupid not too. If I like the game I'll buy it, and keep it even after I have the max points.

SweetIGotta360
05-30-2006, 06:32 PM
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/sweetigotta360.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">sweetigotta360.</iframe>

KilluhKam
05-30-2006, 06:42 PM

yeah same here krazie1!! i couldnt of said it any better

KilluhKam
05-30-2006, 06:47 PM
I am NOT flaming anyone for achivements...I am just talkin about people who rent games for achivements....its called an Opionon son. I love achivements myself but I just find it cheap if people rent games "just" for achivements...and I am not saying that anyone sucks or lacks skill.

you say thay your not siayang some one sucks or lacks skills...but your saiyan that they are "not great" which which imply's that you think people that rent games for achievements suck and lacks skills when in reality some ppl might not have enough money to buy a game that they rent and get achievements in just becuz they rent games and get achievements dosnt mean that dude they might not have enough money to buy the game. so b4 u post next time think about what your naming the thread so you dont end up lookin stupid.

Helacool360
05-30-2006, 06:51 PM
I rent games just because I like to try them all out. If I'm going to play it, then I might as well get the achievements while I am at it. I don't see how gamerscore shows your skills. You can be an awesome player, but have a low score due to lack of games/time/money. At the same time you can be bad and have a high score because you have lots of time/games/money. and then there are people who deserve their low/high scores due to skill or lack thereof.
Renting just for score doesn't mean you have no skills, it just means that you want to get the most out of a system you payed $300-400 for.

I totally agree;) Take me for example. I've been sitting at this same gamerscore since X-men came out which I rented. All my money goes to car/insurance/gas. On a side note, I didn't know or care about gamerscore before I bought the system therefore that had no influence on me to buy the system. In the end, I camped out for 14 hours to get a great system. I'm so poor that I had to do crap on the dashboard for 2 days because I couldn't afford a game right then. As far as sports games, I will buy a sports game when they learn how to make a good sports game. I'm hoping the '07 series will be much better and actually bring out the potential of the system.

Led
05-31-2006, 08:11 AM
I rent games for achievements. I could buy them. I can afford it. But, I don't want to buy them. I want to rent them. Just for the achievements....

P1NSEEKER
05-31-2006, 09:21 AM

Sorry but if you're renting a game JUST FOR achivements then you must really be well I don't want to say it in a mean way, but let's say not so skillful or just um cheap.

Try to read your own posts before you post again.

Helacool360
05-31-2006, 11:36 AM
I rent games for achievements. I could buy them. I can afford it. But, I don't want to buy them. I want to rent them. Just for the achievements....

You can afford it and your score isn't higher than me:confused:

SweetIGotta360
05-31-2006, 12:01 PM
well it isnt wrong if u buy a game for 60 dollars youll most likely just play online forlike 2-3 months then u just put it in the corner especially with sports games and if the game has quick achievements its not worth buyin only good games have long achievements and a while to ex i have oblivion and PDZ and they r both hard to get all the achievements so i don't agree with u sorry

Led
05-31-2006, 12:21 PM
You can afford it and your score isn't higher than me:confused:

I can afford it. I just don't have time to play it. Kudos on your score though.:bow:

Scarecrow
05-31-2006, 10:00 PM
i have no rented games on my 360 yet i always said imma get 10000 points LEGIT...no rentals but after i hit 10000 imma rent a couple of FAST 1000's

Flea
05-31-2006, 10:09 PM
im thinking of renting games as £50 a game is a bit steep
plus with renting ill take a chance on a game i wouldnt normally bother with

ruff
06-15-2006, 05:41 AM
lol @ renting games being considered cheap

III SS III
06-15-2006, 04:06 PM

Ultimately he is correct...it is technically "cheap" to rent games for achievements....any of the games w/easy achievements that i've rented are simply not worth the full price to buy them...so it is "cheaper" to rent...also i dont see why it would be cheap in your sense...some of these games wouldn't even be rented without the achievements...leaving only the rich and uninformed to play the game...i used to never play sports games but thanks to achievements (easy achievements) i have been shown another side of gaming i used to avoid.

TheBatfink
06-15-2006, 04:21 PM
I rent games, and buy them. Typically I buy a game my friends are buying so we can play online together, but come on, you know there are alot of shite games about and they are not in anyway worth 50 pounds (UK). Look at king kong lmao, 6 hours for 50 quid? Your having a giraffe. No way would I pay for a game like that.

Also, once a game is completed, if it isn't all that entertaining online or has no online, then it has no replayability for me, I get bored. I rent via a service which you pay a monthly fee, and keep the game as long as you want.. Forever if you wanted and carried on paying your subscription.

I see nothing wrong in renting games in anyway at all. After all, wether you rent or buy, you still have to do the exact same thing to earn your gamerpoints?? :S

The Killer 47
06-15-2006, 08:46 PM
I think that the achievements have helped to broaden my horizons as a gamer. I wouldn't touch sports games before, but with the achievements I have a reason to try them out. It turns out I don't hate sports as much as I originally thought. I don't think renting is "cheap", I had a good 15000 points before I even started renting.

L3giOn
06-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Alright, coming clean here...I have rented games JUST for the achievements...but you know what? This has benefited me because I have found out that I like some games that I never would have thought I would like. For example: I rented Tomb Raider for the achievements. I had never played a Tomb Raider b4 so I didn't know what to expect but this game turned out to be REALLY fun, if not just a bit short. So for me, renting games for achievements is good for more than one reason. :D

Grizzly Adams 77
06-15-2006, 11:09 PM
At 60 bucks a pop I'm not going to buy a game unless I try it or I absolutely know I getting more than a month out of it. If it's single player only (Ex. Hitman, Tomb Raider) & I can polish it off before Blockbuster busts down my door looking for the game, I'll just rent it. Besides, I couldn't really afford 50 bucks back in the days of yore. Hell, they don't call it the 360 for nothing. Six games costs $360!

The Perfect Gun
06-15-2006, 11:56 PM
At 60 bucks a pop I'm not going to buy a game unless I try it or I absolutely know I getting more than a month out of it. If it's single player only (Ex. Hitman, Tomb Raider) & I can polish it off before Blockbuster busts down my door looking for the game, I'll just rent it. Besides, I couldn't really afford 50 bucks back in the days of yore. Hell, they call it the 360 for nothing. Six games costs $360!

I agree with him. I am not going to pay $60.00 for playing a game. Sometimes games are easy for achievements. But they are fun. I am not going to pay $60 when I can rent it for A LOT cheaper

ModoX
06-19-2006, 03:21 PM
I think the only context in which the rental thing is cheap is if you're renting a game as a one off (ie. not as part of a rental-by-mail service) just for the achievements, and then only if you already know you don't like it and are just planning on simulating the whole thing and never, for instance, playing a second of decent basketball in NBA Live 06. That is something I would consider kind of absurd on the part of the renter, but I can't imagine that's a very broad range of people. I'm on a mail service myself and I rented NBA Live 06 despite my dislike of sports in general, but I gave it a chance and enjoyed it to a certain extent. And I didn't just simulate all my points.

To be fair, if you have one guy who has bought NBA and got all the achievements, and one guy who rented it and did the same, the only thing you'd question is the sanity of the guy who bought it, paying £40 or more for it. I used to collect games like a madman, but with this rental service I save loads of money, and I don't miss not owning the games; I just buy them if they require (and are worth) long term investment, such as PDZ, or if I want them around for multiplayer, such as PGR3.

Helacool360
06-19-2006, 05:20 PM
I think the only context in which the rental thing is cheap is if you're renting a game as a one off (ie. not as part of a rental-by-mail service) just for the achievements, and then only if you already know you don't like it and are just planning on simulating the whole thing and never, for instance, playing a second of decent basketball in NBA Live 06. That is something I would consider kind of absurd on the part of the renter, but I can't imagine that's a very broad range of people. I'm on a mail service myself and I rented NBA Live 06 despite my dislike of sports in general, but I gave it a chance and enjoyed it to a certain extent. And I didn't just simulate all my points.

To be fair, if you have one guy who has bought NBA and got all the achievements, and one guy who rented it and did the same, the only thing you'd question is the sanity of the guy who bought it, paying £40 or more for it. I used to collect games like a madman, but with this rental service I save loads of money, and I don't miss not owning the games; I just buy them if they require (and are worth) long term investment, such as PDZ, or if I want them around for multiplayer, such as PGR3.

Yes, I agree with you. PGR3 has great multiplayer when people play nice and PDZ is a time consuming game.

squirreltakos
06-19-2006, 05:57 PM
I haven't even rented a game for 360 yet.. I buy them all anyways. I have bought all 10 games I've played... Mainly cause i play games all the way through at least once.. I probably won't rent any to get achievements.. :\

btf1980
06-19-2006, 10:10 PM
I rent some games that I know have little to no replay value, or games i'm not too sure about and it ain't just about points. Look at King Kong, I rented that, and that has to be the easiest game to get points in, but I found it so painstakingly boring, that I didn't even bother to finish it past 2 achievements. It sucked so badly. All the puzzles were bad, they were all the same, get a stick for a lever to open the door. Burn this 2 feet of grass in front of you. Why couldn't I just walk over it? I would have been pissed if I paid $60 for that. I promptly returned it.

Same thing applys for GUN as well, cool story, but nothing next gen about it or worth $60. I actually bought Condemned, cool game, but I should have rented instead. These days, whenever I get the chance, I usually get some friends over and we play Fight Night, 2006 Fifa or Burnout. Those are the only games that I keep going back to because they are fun to me. I already got all the achievements for Fight Night months ago, got all the achievements for the 1st Fifa game, just a few global challenges away from all the achievements for the 2nd Fifa game, so it's not just about points, because if it was, I wouldn't still be playing it months later!!

Maka
06-19-2006, 10:16 PM
I don't find renting a game for points bad either... i rented king Kong as well and i Heated it so much i only got 800 points in it and will NEVER get more....

But renting a great game such as "Oblivion" (so I've Heard) or Moto GP 06' Is a little stupid in my opinion becasue they are such great games and for them to be just played for achievements is stupid....

ModoX
06-19-2006, 10:59 PM
We're all on this particular site's forum, so achievements are obviously pretty important to us all, and so yeah, people who rent are probably going to be doing so with another 1000 GPs (or as close as is reasonably possible) on their mind. But, using Maka's example, I don't think it's possible to rent Oblivion and get 1000 GPs from it without falling in love with the game itself. I'm not usually an RPG fan so I may not have tried it normally, I did so partly because I wanted achievements, and it's turned out to be probably my favourite game on the system so far. Of course you won't love every game, as some people haven't enjoyed Kong (I was happy with it personally), but the point is the possibility is there, and I doubt anyone is seriously going to close themselves off to the possibility of falling in love with a new game simply to get the achievements quicker.

nismo4life
06-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Ok. So basically if order to be "Skillful" I need to spend $60 per game to own them to get achievements? Why am I going to spend $600-$700 on games that I don't care to own like Top Spin, or King kong? The games are crap after you finish them so you can just let them sit on the rack and collect dust, or trade them in for a whole 50-60% of what you paid!!!11111.

And for the record, I did buy Amped 3, Madden, and THAW just to get the achievement points because my local blockbusters didn't carry them and guess what? I paid 23.50 for THAW, 26 for Madden, and 35 for Amped. So in the end, I'm actually making money which when I trade the games into blockbuster, I get store credit which I can use to rent and keep a xbox 360 game that I actually like and thus pay it off with the store credit.

ModoX
06-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Ok. So basically if order to be "Skillful" I need to spend $60 per game to own them to get achievements? Why am I going to spend $600-$700 on games that I don't care to own like Top Spin, or King kong? The games are crap after you finish them so you can just let them sit on the rack and collect dust, or trade them in for a whole 50-60% of what you paid!!!11111.

And for the record, I did buy Amped 3, Madden, and THAW just to get the achievement points because my local blockbusters didn't carry them and guess what? I paid 23.50 for THAW, 26 for Madden, and 35 for Amped. So in the end, I'm actually making money which when I trade the games into blockbuster, I get store credit which I can use to rent and keep a xbox 360 game that I actually like and thus pay it off with the store credit.

The logic just kills me. I'm a bit neurotic when it comes to collecting things, and so my games collection was huge, and I'd do exactly what you described, buy stuff and eventually it'd start gathering dust. Sounds ridiculous the way you put it, but at the time it seemed genuinely fine.

Fact of the matter is though, there's very few games you really want to keep, if you don't have hang ups about collecting stuff. Oblivion is probably my favourite 360 game but I only rented it; spent 100 hours on it, finished it, and I don't feel like I'd need to play it again now. No need to spend £40, it probably cost me a tenner since I had it a month.

The Killer 47
06-20-2006, 06:46 PM
I'm a bit of a pack rat myself, so most of the games I have played I own. The exceptions are the sports games because they put them out year after year; and how much has basketball really changed in the last 10 years or so that you need more than one game?

DaveWilma07
06-20-2006, 10:39 PM
and how much has basketball really changed in the last 10 years or so that you need more than one game?

Not much, but thats not the point. They release new games to improve the game mechanics and gameplay surely... ?

The Killer 47
06-20-2006, 11:55 PM
Hopefully they improve the gameplay if they are going to charge us 60 bucks a pop. I don't really like sports games so the price isn't much of an issue though.

Eternal Prince
07-06-2006, 07:39 PM
I rent games which are very short and buy games which take a while to complete.

sinsix
07-11-2006, 03:03 PM
I RENT GAMES FOR THE ACHIEVMENTS!!! I have been with gamefly.com for almost a year. I used it back in the day on my original XBOX. So, naturally when the 360 came out i used it for the new system. I don't only rent a game because of the achievements, but with the motivation of one of my braggart friends(he constantly told me how great he was because he had about 1100 more GS than me) I started using one slot on my three-game plan just for the sole purpose of easilly-achieved points. Now I have about 6500 more GS than my friend and an always exciting trump card. Now the other two slots on my gamefly.com account are reserved for trying new games as well as keeping the ones i thoroughly enjoy for a while. I see nothing wrong with this. It's my opinion, and yours is yours. I'm sorry we disagree, but I don't feel that Iam the minority in this case.

ModoX
07-11-2006, 03:12 PM
I RENT GAMES FOR THE ACHIEVMENTS!!! I have been with gamefly.com for almost a year. I used it back in the day on my original XBOX. So, naturally when the 360 came out i used it for the new system. I don't only rent a game because of the achievements, but with the motivation of one of my braggart friends(he constantly told me how great he was because he had about 1100 more GS than me) I started using one slot on my three-game plan just for the sole purpose of easilly-achieved points. Now I have about 6500 more GS than my friend and an always exciting trump card. Now the other two slots on my gamefly.com account are reserved for trying new games as well as keeping the ones i thoroughly enjoy for a while. I see nothing wrong with this. It's my opinion, and yours is yours. I'm sorry we disagree, but I don't feel that Iam the minority in this case.

You go girl. Personally I only rent one game at a time, but that's because if I had more than one I'd give up on a game when I got to a tough bit and play other stuff instead for ages. I keep playing arcade games at the moment because Gun on Insane is, well ... insane.

xX MaslaN Xx
07-11-2006, 04:48 PM
I only rent sports games....there easy

Fonkey Monkey
07-12-2006, 11:10 AM
i have noticed a trend. not to say anything against you people with mega high scores or aynthing but have you noticed that people with low scores usually have alot more skill? cuz i mean like the #1 guy in nba has only 750 points. all from nba. but he owns everyone. and this is the same with alot of other online games. but this isnt always true. cuz ive heard sttheking has alot of skillz.
but thats just my opinion :bow:

ModoX
07-12-2006, 11:20 AM
i have noticed a trend. not to say anything against you people with mega high scores or aynthing but have you noticed that people with low scores usually have alot more skill? cuz i mean like the #1 guy in nba has only 750 points. all from nba. but he owns everyone. and this is the same with alot of other online games. but this isnt always true. cuz ive heard sttheking has alot of skillz.
but thats just my opinion :bow:

Well, there's a certain point at which you say "any guy with X amount of Gs has got to have some genuine skills", such as ST TheKing. People hanging more around, I don't know, perhaps 20k, may have gotten most of them without being especially skilled.

I'm not on a huge score, but that's mostly because I don't have much time to game, if I had more time I'd play more games and have a lot of points, but I'm not naturally skilled, and I'd have played too many games to become really, really good at any one of them. If someone (as with your NBA guy) spends all their time on one game, yeah, they're going to be way better than someone who only played it until they'd got the 1000 Gs.

Fonkey Monkey
07-12-2006, 11:41 AM
yea same here i have alot of games just dont have enough time cuz i play baseball like all of the fucking time. but i would also have alot more points if i wouldnt have played nba2k6 so much,got myself ranked in the top 200 outtta 20,000 something:woop:. but since i have retired that agme, maybe my score will start to go up again :)

Sebastian55
07-12-2006, 03:35 PM
I hate saying and repeating what everyone else has already said a million times, but I guess that part of being educated and human is the will to want to voice your own opinion about things.

As with this one, I agree with a lot that everyone has said. For me in the U.S, $60 a game is a VERY STEEP price... especially for a poor college student like myself. In the area I live, they haven't even put Xbox 360 games on the shelves to BE RENTED... sad, I know!! And they won't be doing that until January... so how bad that much suck, you can imagine! As far as GameFly, I used to have a subscription with them until I decided to cancel it because I ran into money issues due to college finances, but while I was a memeber I enjoyed it better than any renting service there was, same with NetFlix.

I personally don't feel that renting games JUST for achievements is a "cheap" thing to do, it can be seen that way sure... but how I have come to look at it is, "If that's what people want to do, good for them." First off, it's their money and saying it's cheap and you shouldn't do it, isn't going to make people stop. The same with gamesaves... I don't agree with it, but nothing you say will make the people that are donig it stop. People in general are going to do what they want to do, regardless of what someone online tells them. That's a FACT... I can assure you! ;) And... you better believe that after I get a little bit better job, I'm going to renew my subscription with GameFly.

III SS III
07-12-2006, 10:39 PM
I personally don't feel that renting games JUST for achievements is a "cheap" thing to do, it can be seen that way sure... but how I have come to look at it is, "If that's what people want to do, good for them." First off, it's their money and saying it's cheap and you shouldn't do it, isn't going to make people stop. The same with gamesaves... I don't agree with it, but nothing you say will make the people that are donig it stop. People in general are going to do what they want to do, regardless of what someone online tells them. That's a FACT... I can assure you! ;) And... you better believe that after I get a little bit better job, I'm going to renew my subscription with GameFly.

Extremely well put...I feel your pain about renting...I live in midwest iowa...where do you live? Go Gamefly!

GhostRiderMike
08-01-2006, 02:37 AM
[quote=Savage 360]Sorry but if you're renting a game JUST FOR achivements then you must really be well I don't want to say it in a mean way, but let's say not so skillful or just um cheap. Example Jack rented Fight Night Round 3 to get the easy 1000 achivement. A day later or so he gets all the 1000 and he meets a guy on PDZ or PGR 3 or any other game or his friend on his friend list who says hey I see you got FNR 3 let's play online I'll beat the crap outta your boxer! Jack says: Sorry I only rented the game to get the achivement points and the game sucks anyway. = Makes you look like an idiot and you lose respect. No I understand some people actually do rent games to test them out and see if they're worth a buy or not. For me tho I always or most of the time rented Xbox games to see if buy or not, but for 360 I will NEVER EVER rent a game. I am only buying Good games, with Easy/Medium/Hard and fun achivements. Thanks to the marketplace demos I was able to check out Lost Planet which is an amazing must buy game. All games that you see on my gamertag are all bought and will NEVER be traded. No please don't flame me if this offends anyone who rents games, its just my point of view on people who rent them JUST FOR achivements. If your testing the game out then its understandable, but there is always a Marketplace :) What are you thoughts on renting games just for achivements??

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: u are so right i hate people like that they are so stupid no offence to all of u gamerscore addicts.:D

P1NSEEKER
08-01-2006, 10:59 AM
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: u are so right i hate people like that they are so stupid no offence to all of u gamerscore addicts.:D

Are you shitting me? "no offence" how can i not be offended by being called stupid? You sir are a 24 carrot prick wtf are you doing on an achievement forum when you "hate" people who are looking to gain achievements?

http://www.omgpwned.net/pics/stfu/thumb/t_familycircus.jpg

Zer0
08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
what an idiot, and ive learnt demo's are complete crap.

few games now have been a million time better than what the crap demo made them out to be.

Maka
08-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Seems like most demos, suck shit...

JaCk Fr0sTy
08-02-2006, 02:21 AM
wow lol, looks like everyone scared him off.

Pitbob27
08-03-2006, 08:25 AM
[quote=Savage 360]Sorry but if you're renting a game JUST FOR achivements then you must really be well I don't want to say it in a mean way, but let's say not so skillful or just um cheap. Example Jack rented Fight Night Round 3 to get the easy 1000 achivement. A day later or so he gets all the 1000 and he meets a guy on PDZ or PGR 3 or any other game or his friend on his friend list who says hey I see you got FNR 3 let's play online I'll beat the crap outta your boxer! Jack says: Sorry I only rented the game to get the achivement points and the game sucks anyway. = Makes you look like an idiot and you lose respect. No I understand some people actually do rent games to test them out and see if they're worth a buy or not. For me tho I always or most of the time rented Xbox games to see if buy or not, but for 360 I will NEVER EVER rent a game. I am only buying Good games, with Easy/Medium/Hard and fun achivements. Thanks to the marketplace demos I was able to check out Lost Planet which is an amazing must buy game. All games that you see on my gamertag are all bought and will NEVER be traded. No please don't flame me if this offends anyone who rents games, its just my point of view on people who rent them JUST FOR achivements. If your testing the game out then its understandable, but there is always a Marketplace :) What are you thoughts on renting games just for achivements??

U complain alot about people renting games for achievments on a achievment site;)

DeathandChaos
08-03-2006, 03:43 PM
I rented NCAA Football and Condemned just for achievements through gamefly. However, I bought FIFA because I could play that with friends and what have you. This was a great post.

Phonicsmonkey89
08-04-2006, 12:52 AM
I really don't care what people do, rent for achievements or not. I won't go out and rent a game that i know i'll hate for achievements, but if a game is out there and it looks half way decent, then why not go for a few hundred!

Sonic Avenger
10-29-2006, 03:36 PM
If I can save A$100+ a game because I finish it so quick, I would rent it in a heart beat.

IMportdreams95
10-29-2006, 04:57 PM
yeah i agree. This is an old thread but still. How dumb is that.. This site is about achievement. Does it matter if you rent or buy. No it dont matter, all that matters is we help get achievements as fast as possible, and get info out to the public to help. rent, buy, borrow, steal it doesn't matter. :p

k_dog
10-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Holy Shit, this thread is so old. How did it get revived?

dnut24
11-02-2006, 07:18 PM
just admit it, gamer score has become the video game crack. a cpl weeks ago i was feenin so hard for an achievement i was so tapped out and couldnt get any on games i own. i went out and rented cabelas alaskan adventure and got a 12 pack of beer. i played it through as quick as i cold to get i think like 150 points and returned it. it was just the fix i needed until a game i wanted to play came out. :blurp

also i'm not one to pay 60 bones for a game that blows, that i can beat in no time and get like 20 bucks back when selling. if game makers made better games that got your interest they'd be no reason to rent them, you'd enjoy the game.

at 1st i was sorta anti renting for points cause i fell like i "earned" mine. but lets get real, if someone is gonna boost their score, and you ahve the same oppurtunity, then why not. the real test is on more difficult games and that'll seperate you from the rest.

i mean if say you both played COD2 and king kong, you destroyed COD by playing on harden but the other person played on easy. your score will be higher then his, which shows more skill. now think if you didnt boost your score on KK, then you'd have 1000 points to his 1200 instead of 2000 to 1200. go rent some games and boost your score! :drunk

Chris764
11-05-2006, 04:38 AM
hmmm lets see why rent games for achievements
well i dont know about you but personally i wouldnt pay $60
for a game like open season which only lasts 3 hours

Autoflow
11-06-2006, 06:32 AM
How does fully completing anything make you less skillfull? no matter how much anyone pays for the 1000 points it takes skill to get them. granted some are easier then others but i just consider it practise for the harder games

Sykosiknis
11-06-2006, 07:29 AM
I don't really have a problem with people renting the games, and getting achievements. Some people just can't afford games, and if they don't like it when they rent it, might as well get the achievements while you can right? Because getting them is no different from buying the game, and if it sucks, why spend more than the $6 to get a game you really have no interest in. Saves you quite a bit of money.

Just my $.02. Take if for what its worth, as I'm a noobie here. :drunk

Voodu
11-06-2006, 07:57 AM
I rent 360 games like it's no ones business. Look at my played games list and there's almost every 360 game out on there. Why? For fun. I like to test the water and see what's good. Sure, I love getting me some dang achievement points but I'm not gonna go out and BUY a piece of shit game just to get the 1k.

Most of the 360 games out right now are crap anyway and couldn't hold my interest long enough to get the whole hog. I've messed up and bought a few shitty games like N3, LOTR, and Test Drive when I should've just rented them first. So now I prettymuch ONLY rent, thanks to Gamefly, and only buy games that are essential ie Tony Hawk, Viva Piata, and Gears of War. All the other games will be rented and drained of their achievement points for MY gain.

My money, my gamerscore, my biz-nass.

Tyger7
11-06-2006, 08:07 AM
Why do people keep posting to this? This guy had 9 posts in his lifetime. He came to an ACHIEVEMENT website to complain about ACHIEVEMENTS! WOW! Good for him, he thinks we are bad for completing a game in mere days when it takes others months. I would say it takes more skill. PGR3 and PDZ? what kind of monster gamers does he think we are? how many of us actually do have 1000 in both of those from simply playing online vs a friend. oh well, just keep seeing this stupid thread popping up, its from like may! why do people keep finding it? And i did think LOTR and N3 were great games that i bought without renting. Tony hawks is more of a renter for me but I guess we have different taste. And viva pinata ? thats for sure a renter. just my thoughts, hopefully we can lock this thread! :locked :locked :locked

femalealert
11-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Not all games are worth buying. If a game has good online capabilities or is actually enjoyable then sure- it would be worth buying but why bother buying a game that you are going to get 2 hours max out of?? I don't really play enough to justify paying 50 for a game but if I think I have a spare hour or two I will play a rented game. The achievement is just a bonus. Thats not to say that I haven't bought games either but half the games I have I don't really play anyway!:uzi:

Fonkey Monkey
11-09-2006, 10:27 PM
just my thoughts, hopefully we can lock this thread! :locked :locked :locked

Agreed.
LET THIS THREAD DIE!

curtpac
11-16-2006, 02:10 AM
I admit I've rented a few games to score some easy AP's, but hey, it still took some skill to earn them Points. They didn't just magically appear once I plugged in the game.

Personally, I think the worse problem is the people selling and buying hard drives on eBay so they can seem like a super stud to their buddies.

"Hey, check it out dude, 1000 points on Gears of War."

"Whoa, how long did that take you??"

"About 3 days for delivery."

paulsnake64
02-23-2007, 10:46 PM
I rent games just because I like to try them all out.never now from were the surprise come from ........so smoke out:woop:

Skillet
02-23-2007, 10:49 PM
The reason I want to rent games, I don't have enough money to buy all of the games that I want.

And the statement that the people who rent games aren't the skilled in them? They have all of the achievements, that's skilled enough for me.

Cross Fire
02-23-2007, 10:58 PM
yeah i agree. This is an old thread but still. How dumb is that.. This site is about achievement. Does it matter if you rent or buy. No it dont matter, all that matters is we help get achievements as fast as possible, and get info out to the public to help. rent, buy, borrow, steal it doesn't matter. :p
this site is about achievements so it doesnt matter at all how you achieve them, so lets let this thread die now

Skillet
02-23-2007, 11:02 PM
this site is about achievements so it doesnt matter at all how you achieve them, so lets let this thread die now

Not true, gamesaves are strictly illegal on this site.

Walcherina
02-24-2007, 06:13 PM
Why would you buy a game when it takes 5 hours to beat, when you can just rent it for like a 1/10 of the price.

xterra00
02-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Well I will tell you this and you can think I am cheap and an achievement whore or whatever, but this is just how it is. I play xbox 360 as often as I can, but I cannot afford to pay 60 bucks for everygame that I want to check out. I have played a ton of games, and I dont just play them for the points, but I do get some points when I rent games, rarly are they complete games, sometime they are, and I trade some games in once I play them, because I want to play as many games as I can... With a mortage, wife, 2 jobs You can call me cheap or whatever but when I rent a game one this is for sure I dont have to justify why I rent games and Why I have achivements. I play to play and I enjoy video games and that is that :mad:

Bolt
02-24-2007, 09:42 PM
what if you dont want to nuy the game and just want to play it?

xterra00
02-24-2007, 09:47 PM
I dont want to buy a lot of games, but I want to check them out and 6 bucks a game to rent it. And why would I download the demo. I get for free it takes up hd space and if I am going to play it for 2 hours hell yeah I want the achievements. Dont you

Cisumurug
02-24-2007, 10:23 PM
I love being cheap and unskillful.

Webb
02-24-2007, 10:39 PM
The thread is months and months old.

Paulsnake, consider this a warning for resurrecting dead threads.